Identified! OH - West Chester, WhtFem UP13635, 35-60, in woods, dentures, Mar'15 - Darlene Norcross

I don't know if Hazel Cross has been considered for this Doe. I thought she has a similar look. She was just mentioned in another thread. What do you think?

Missing Person Case

Is it just me or is it impossible to do a search in Namus with an iPad?

Wiki Identified has her as identified and witheld but her Namus is still up. Can anyone confirm this information?

Wiki Identified has her as identified and witheld but her Namus is still up. Can anyone confirm this information?

Tomorrow (Thursday) will be press conference so all will be revealed then.

Also DNA Doe Project did the same announcement about identification, for more to come tomorrow.

DNA Doe Project

West Chester morgue mystery no longer a cold case
"There’s no word yet whether the woman’s remains will be cremated or buried. But by this time Thursday night, we’ll know who she is and everything else they’ve learned through her DNA. The woman’s family, the coroner tells FOX19, while grateful, issued a statement through their attorney and wishes to remain anonymous."
"Four years later, after countless improvements in DNA testing and a continual checking of databases, as well as a trace of of the woman’s unique, expensive dental implants, the case remained cold"

To my understanding, the DNA Doe Project didn’t identify her, but LE did. Am I correct?

It's not clear from their post, but I'd imagine that DDP was responsible. We'll know shortly, in any case.

I had missed that the family wishes to remain anonymous--I assume that her identity will not be released, then? I wonder what they'll even say in the press conference. Perhaps information from the family makes it easier to guess at a cause of death, how she wound up there, etc.

norcross-1551983855.jpg

I'm not sure if it's related, but I did find some info online about a condo being foreclosed on in the name of Darlene Norcross in West Chester Township in 2015. I wonder if she missed payments after her disappearance, leading to foreclosure.

Officials identify human remains found 4 years ago in West Chester

For years, her identity was a mystery. But due to advances in DNA technology, officials with the coroner's office were able to make a positive identification this year.
---
The cause of Norcross' death is still unknown, and Tibin said the death investigation is ongoing.

What is know is that Norcross lived in the West Chester area, officials said. Although immediate family did not live close by, officials said she likely had friends in the area.

Tibin said she was not reported missing by anyone in the years since she died, adding that her family was not necessarily close-knit.

A human skull was found in a wooded area in 2015. Now, four years later, the remains have been positively identified.

I have not listened to press conference, but even though DNA Doe Project was not officially credited in any press, I have zero doubt that it was due to their work that she has been identified. Articles also do state that case is solved due to advances in DNA technology and Darlene was not reported missing. Case was stone cold until they got involved.

Kudos too to whoever made her sketch from skeletal remains, astonishing resemblance.

The press conference is included in the article shared above by Burgle. Quick summary of it: Butler Jane Doe was named Darlene Norcross and DNA Doe Project did produce her name, which law enforcement confirmed through DNA collection from family. She used to live on the east coast and moved to West Chester on her own following a divorce, lived in a condo & had no children. Her parents had already passed away. She appeared to be self-employed for awhile. She has been reunited with her family and they have laid her to rest. Anyone who knew Darlene is encouraged to contact the West Chester police department at their non-emergency number. You can also leave a tip on their website.

Last edited:
Interestingly written article, it does give credit to DNA Doe project for helping to solve the case and it also mentiones other John Doe in the area.

===
A dead West Chester woman was never reported missing. Officials are using the case to warn others.

In making the announcement, police also emphasized the importance of “watching out for each other” and reporting the missing.
--
Brothers Parker, Cole and Caleb Wilhelm found a skull in the woods behind their Gregory Creek Lane home in West Chester Twp. in 2015. Rain and snow made finding additional remains difficult, but all of the woman’s remains were collected, along with other items believed to have belonged to her.
---
The Norcross investigation is classified by West Chester Police as a death investigation. West Chester Police Lt. David Tivin said the body was scattered like an “archaeological dig,” but there were no signs of trauma.
---
Norcross had moved to West Chester Twp. after a failed marriage on the East Coast. She had no children, and her parents were deceased, according to police.

“She was self-employed for awhile, bought a car, bought the dental work,” Tivin said. “Then she just disappeared to everybody else.
---
The woman’s condo had been abandoned, but no notification to authorities.
---
“This case reminds us that people can become so isolated, and it is important to stay in touch with relatives, to stay in touch with friends to look after each other,” Murray said. “It is disappointing that someone could not be reported missing. But in my 30 plus years of working with these unidentified cases you see more and more of that.

People become isolated, people become estranged from their family. I think that is something we should all think more about in today’s society.”

A dead West Chester woman was never reported missing. Officials are using the case to warn others.

God bless you Darlene. I am so happy that you can go home now. I am thankful every day for DNA everytime I log on and someone has their name back!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back