Found Deceased UK - Libby Squire, 21, last seen outside Welly club, Hull, 31 Jan 2019 #11 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wondered this, but then he could also be ‘playing on it” and using it as a form of defence, making himself look weaker and incapable of possibly harming LS? He’s lived in the UK for quite a while so you’d like to assume that he had a relatively decent grasp of the language...

Good point, never thought of it that way. I think a couple of threads back, someone said going through an interpreter in the 96 hours of questioning seems less daunting than responding directly to the police. But then again, he could want an interpreter to make sure he understands the question fully and try not to trip up on anything perhaps?

Because his basic English might be reasonable, all non English speaking nationals are offered an interpreter to which they can decline. A right to a fair trial.

And why would anyone decline that? I can speak reasonable Spanish, certainly enough to get by in normal day-to-day activities, but this isn't normal. I'd fall to pieces in a situation like that.

Good point, never thought of it that way. I think a couple of threads back, someone said going through an interpreter in the 96 hours of questioning seems less daunting than responding directly to the police. But then again, he could want an interpreter to make sure he understands the question fully and try not to trip up on anything perhaps?
Yes that’s also a good point, I guess as with most things here it’s pure speculation at this point. If he had an interpreter during those 96 hours then yes it’s a little less daunting but also I’d assume quite frustrating for LE as it obviously takes longer and their questioning wouldn’t have the same impact.

Interpreters are integral to english law, they are offered to all persons whose first language so that they have the right to a fair trial - understand the charges and defend themselves.
This also works for witnesses whose first language is not English tbey to are offered an interpreter.
It's not about if he's playing on not understanding it's how it works within Police Stations and Courts of law. It forms part of human rights.
Or put in fewer words it's his legal right to have an interpreter

And why would anyone decline that? I can speak reasonable Spanish, certainly enough to get by in normal day-to-day activities, but this isn't normal. I'd fall to pieces in a situation like that.

Because some people feel they do not require the services of an interpreter as their command of English is good enough.

I didn't mean for my post to cause any offence if it did, it definitely wasn't my aim, I'd delete it but I'm too late back to edit.

Anyway back on track,
I see most of the crimes were committed on a weekend, apart from the boxing day one which was a Wednesday I believe, so I'm guessing he wouldn't have been at work with it being a bank holiday.
There still seems to be a massive gap in his crimes with it suddenly becoming very regular, I'm surprised there's only 7 new charges, i bet alot more people came forward who had not reported it at the time.

I wondered this, but then he could also be ‘playing on it” and using it as a form of defence, making himself look weaker and incapable of possibly harming LS? He’s lived in the UK for quite a while so you’d like to assume that he had a relatively decent grasp of the language...

Don't forget though that there are quite a lot of other Polish nationals at his place of work. His wife is also Polish, and there is a large population of Eastern Europeans in the area he lived. His English could still be very basic and just enough to get by in day-to-day life.

My neighbours are quite similar to this. They moved here around 6 years ago, but they work in a factory which has a lot of other Polish people, many of which they are friends with etc. The husband's English is ok, but his wife still has very limited English vocabulary, and will struggle if she is coming around to collect a parcel from my house etc.

As others have said though, it is a legal right to have an interpreter, even if his English if pretty good.

I didn't mean for my post to cause any offence if it did, it definitely wasn't my aim, I'd delete it but I'm too late back to edit.

Anyway back on track,
I see most of the crimes were committed on a weekend, apart from the boxing day one which was a Wednesday I believe, so I'm guessing he wouldn't have been at work with it being a bank holiday.
There still seems to be a massive gap in his crimes with it suddenly becoming very regular, I'm surprised there's only 7 new charges, i bet alot more people came forward who had not reported it at the time.

Not sure on further charges resulting on more coming forward but imagine the Police will ask about other offences committed in on dates and times and if he says yeah I did (he's unlikely to say yeah, but some do to get credit from the judge for admitting them when it comes to sentencing) the CPS will ask for those offences to be taken in to considerstion when passing sentence at Court.

Don't forget though that there are quite a lot of other Polish nationals at his place of work. His wife is also Polish, and there is a large population of Eastern Europeans in the area he lived. His English could still be very basic and just enough to get by in day-to-day life.

My neighbours are quite similar to this. They moved here around 6 years ago, but they work in a factory which has a lot of other Polish people, many of which they are friends with etc. The husband's English is ok, but his wife still has very limited English vocabulary, and will struggle if she is coming around to collect a parcel from my house etc.

As others have said though, it is a legal right to have an interpreter, even if his English if pretty good.
Of course, I wasn’t suggesting that he shouldn’t be allowed an interpreter so apologies if that’s how it came across, I was just theorising if he may have used it to his advantage in some way. Who knows...

Definitely take your point about the community aspect though, I suppose if he only works and mixes with other Polish people he wouldn’t have more than a basic knowledge of English

Of course, I wasn’t suggesting that he shouldn’t be allowed an interpreter so apologies if that’s how it came across, I was just theorising if he may have used it to his advantage in some way. Who knows...

Definitely take your point about the community aspect though, I suppose if he only works and mixes with other Polish people he wouldn’t have more than a basic knowledge of English

Oh no don't worry, you didn't come across badly at all :)

Hello everyone, second post here and apologies of this has been discussed already, after reading all Libby threads I know the hate for rehashing :)

With the release by ITV of the Haworth st footage, does this mean it could not be used as evidence if Pawel/another person gets taken to trial regarding Libby?

Thanks

Hello everyone, second post here and apologies of this has been discussed already, after reading all Libby threads I know the hate for rehashing :)

With the release by ITV of the Haworth st footage, does this mean it could not be used as evidence if Pawel/another person gets taken to trial regarding Libby?

Thanks

Wouldnt have thought so, at least not the parts that were broadcast anyway.

Besides the footage is of such poor quality it's really not conclusive proof that it's LS getting in the car I wouldn't have thought.

I think they have clearer footage showing more from another camera.

Obviously all my own opinion.

Thanks

If the bits of that video that have been cut allow for clear identification of the driver/there is CCTV from another source close by that shows where the driver went for 1 minute 52 seconds then it could be shown in its entirety with the other footage What the public has seen on that cctv wouldn’t be prejudicial imo because nothing can be proved beyond reasonable doubt

If the bits of that video that have been cut allow for clear identification of the driver/there is CCTV from another source close by that shows where the driver went for 1 minute 52 seconds then it could be shown in its entirety with the other footage What the public has seen on that cctv wouldn’t be prejudicial imo because nothing can be proved beyond reasonable doubt

Thank you, I wasn’t sure on the legalities of it (even though it’s hard to even tell what the driver is wearing, let alone who it is ;) )

Watch it at different speeds you will see different things each time.

I no longer trust what I think I have seen on it.

Me too! Think it’s worse at the slowest speeds. Although watching on normal speed, I do think 2nd person turns back towards driver, I put in my first post almost like you would if you turned to kiss someone, that quick turn around before hopping in a car.

Knowing the area, I think there must be some proof of the whereabouts of that car after leaving Haworth as it’s such a built up area.

I wasn’t sure it ITV owning and showing the footage would make any difference if it could be used as evidence if (hopefully) Libby is found.

Re interpreters.
I have a polish friend who speaks very good English. I’ve asked her to interpret things for me for a PTA type organisation before, from English to Polish. Things don’t always translate directly very well. We’ve had to use Google translate before and she’s gone
‘Oooooh! Yeah, that makes more sense’

I’d imagine in a stressful situation such as PR’s, such differences are personified.

Think someone has said this but it’s protected in Art 6 ECHR to provide a defendant with a translator. You could risk unfair trial if not, which could quash conviction as being unsafe. Mostly for his benefit to provide translator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member