GUILTY CO - Shanann Watts (34), Celeste"Cece" (3) and Bella (4), Frederick, 13 Aug 2018 *CW LWOP* #69

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just finished reading Watts Interview 02.18.19_Redacted(2) | Special Agent | Plea
and my heart hurts. I'm impressed (?) that most of the sleuthing/guessing about the events was close to accurate but never would have imagined the details he shared about the girls. IMHO (don't stone me) he does feel genuine guilt and I'm just not sure how to feel about that. His actions are inexcusable and horrific so how do I hate the man who really regrets what he did and wishes he could turn back time? I guess I'm just thankful I haven't experienced blind rage and that he told the truth? Such mixed emotions.

IMO

Ma Watts never felt Shanann was good enough for him and that she was hiding something from him - something from her past. Then Shanann "took him away" to Colorado. Jamie wanted her kid to be ring bearer in their wedding and Shanann said no. Didn't get her way, so the only Watts that went was CW's grandmother. :rolleyes:
MOO
Interesting, isn’t it, that as much as this largely absolves Shanann of causing these murders (although he couldn’t apparently do it 100%), it confirms every single thing we’ve been thinking about the Watts clan. Have to stop typing now to avoid a time out.

I'm never going to totally catch up. For anyone who has listened to all of the interviews: Did CW explain why he stripped the sheets from the girl's beds too? If the girls were killed at the oil site why did he tell NK that their sheets "smelled" and he needed to wash them when he facetimed with her on the bare mattress?

Wow, Tammy Lee is asking him what they could have said "that night" to get it out of him. She is so amazing, trying to learn from this. He said he couldn't admit it to himself or to his attorney's until two weeks later.

Does he have internet privileges in prison? If so, I wonder if he has recently googled how it feels to have a soul. Or any feelings at all.

I despise him.
They asked him that and he said, "no." They warned him not to fall into the trap that so many other people have following this case - SOCIAL MEDIA.
MOO

Chris Watts confesses killing daughters at oil site after strangling wife at home

[...]

Watts, while straddling Shanann as she laid on her back, said he asked whether they could cancel an upcoming trip to Aspen, Colorado, and if they could move to get away from their house.

Watts said Shanann then told him she knew he was having an affair with someone and started to cry, but Watts denied having an affair.

“I just felt guilty … more guilty than ever before,” Watts told investigators, according to documents released Thursday.

Watts told Shanann he didn’t think their marriage was going to work and that he didn’t love her, and Shanann responded, “You’re never gonna see the kids again … you’re never gonna see them again … get off me … don’t hurt the baby.”

Watts immediately put both hands around his wife's neck and strangled her.

“Every time I think about it, I’m just like, did I know I was going to do that before I got on top of her?” he told investigators.

“Everything that happened that morning I just don’t — I don’t know, … like, I try to go back in my head … I didn’t want to do this, but I did it … it just felt like there was already something in my mind that was implanted that I was gonna do it and when I woke up that morning, it was gonna happen and I had no control over it.”

[...]

“What’s wrong with Mommy?” he recalled Bella asking again as she began to cry.

He said Bella was smart and knew what was going on. Bella watched as he backed his truck into the garage and put Shanann's body in the back seat on the floorboards.

The noises from dragging his wife's body down the stairs woke their 3-year-old daughter, Celeste, who was starting to get out of bed when Watts came back inside.

Watts said he felt like someone else was in control of him as he put Bella and Celeste in the back of his truck on the bench seat.

Bella again asked if her mother was OK, and Watts told his daughters their mother would be fine.

[...]

Watts said when they arrived at the oil site 45 minutes from their Frederick, Colorado, home, he pulled Shanann's body out of the car with his daughters sitting on the back seat. They asked him what he was doing to their mother, and he said he doesn't recall what he told them.

Watts said he returned to the truck and “Cece was first.”

He put his daughter’s Yankees blanket over her head and strangled her in the back seat with Bella sitting beside her, Watts told investigators. Bella didn’t say anything while watching her father kill her sister.

“I wasn’t (thinking) … if I was thinking, this wouldn’t have happened … or any partial hint of what I feel for those girls and what I feel for my wife, then none of this would have happened … so I wasn’t thinking,” Watts said.

He carried Celeste from the truck to the oil tank and dropped her inside, then returned to his truck where Bella remained in the back seat.

[...]

“What happened to Cece?” Watts said Bella asked him. “Is the same thing gonna happen to me as Cece?”

He said he is not sure how he replied.

He “did the same thing” to Bella, and placed the Yankees blanket over her head, Watts told investigators.

“Daddy, no!” were Bella’s last words, Watts said, and he hears them every time he closes his eyes.

[...]

Watts said he killed his daughters out of anger with Shanann “that he took out on everyone in front of him that morning,” according to investigators.

“Right now I’d have a 5-year-old … a 3-year-old … and more than likely, a one-month-old son … and a beautiful wife … and right now it’s just me,” Watts told investigators.

Admission to premeditation:

“Everything that happened that morning I just don’t — I don’t know, … like, I try to go back in my head … I didn’t want to do this, but I did it … it just felt like there was already something in my mind that was implanted that I was gonna do it and when I woke up that morning, it was gonna happen and I had no control over it.”

People in prison all seem to find religion. I don't believe Chris. Had he truly found God, he would tell the truth and wouldn't still be putting blame on Shanann. He would truly be remorseful. His parents quoted scripture at his plea deal but if they truly knew God, they wouldn't have behaved as they did. Saanann's mom truly knows the Lord, she did something I couldn't have done, she asked them to spare his life. Regardless of what religion or if you believe in God or not, Sometimes you have to watch people's actions and not just listen to their words. JMO

I'm way behind but just wanted to weigh in on the idea of CW finding God. IMO, and I am not religious, but CW didn't find God or a higher power. What he found was a concept: via accepting the Christian God, you are born again, forgiven your transgressions, and made "good" again.

IMO, CW imagines that God and religion provide him a mantle of irreproachability. For someone so desperately preoccupied with his reputation yet utterly incapable of exercising personal accountability, such a notion would be heady stuff indeed. It's the perfect mask, excuse, and fortress all in one.

All MOO, as always.

I do think he is still manipulating some details to save face (however laughable that seems at this point).
The whole straddling her for 15-20 minutes just sounds odd. I’m sure most that have been pregnant before would agree with me that just isn’t happening and I doubt she would allow it for that long.
I’m wondering if perhaps he strangled her during sex when she was caught off guard. I just can’t see it playing out the way he described.

I wondered that too. I think she maybe sensed danger. When he did t get off her when she said he was hurting the baby, she grew scared. Her mind may have told her he couldn't truly hurt her but her instinct maybe warned her so she sort of froze?

So before all this, iirc, I think the conclusion that was reached here re: the credit card retail charge that went through on Shanann’s account was that it must’ve been an autopay, was that ever confirmed, because now the timeline of Shanann being asleep is potentially discredited during these hours, is this right?

(paused at 7:11...this is going to be a long day...making a strong pot of coffee...)

Yup. Premeditation but also some distancing as well.

He basically said:

“I didn’t decide to do this, something inside me made that decision for me.”

“Bad Chris did this, not good Chris.”

He still can’t take full responsibility.

I'm way behind but just wanted to weigh in on the idea of CW finding God. IMO, and I am not religious, but CW didn't find God or a higher power. What he found was a concept: via accepting the Christian God, you are born again, forgiven your transgressions, and made "good" again.

IMO, CW imagines that God and religion provide him a mantle of irreproachability. For someone so desperately preoccupied with his reputation yet utterly incapable of exercising personal accountability, such a notion would be heady stuff indeed. It's the perfect mask, excuse, and fortress all in one.

All MOO, as always.

Beautifully written and intelligent post.

I believe he had probably flirted with the idea numerous times, but nothing concrete came of it...almost a "geeze, if they didn't exist, I could do this..." type thinking.

He OPENED that door, and the idea festered until it became reality. He chose to open that door, and eventually that door took over.

I just read. I don't have time to listen. But I think most is pretty much true as @MassGuy thought.

Except it was planned and he can't admit that. I don't think he felt blind rage. I think he felt desperation and determination.

He totally had her pinned because he intended to kill her. I think she was afraid and sensed danger but didn't totally believe he could harm her. But it does seem like he was trying to work up the courage and make her give him a definitive "trigger".

The Aspen trip was as important as I thought. He asked her not to go and she didn't give the answer he wanted. He was desperate. So at that moment he got the trigger he wanted and killed her.

NK is just as I suspected as well. She totally knew about the relationship and pursued him! The pursued him while already knowing he was married with kids part was unexpected. But the pouting and manipulating in order to get him to declare she was most important? Right on the mark.

In fact, she's more diabolical than I thought. Something is wrong with that chick.

It is pretty definitive for me after reading that, that he took his poor babies to the site to murder them. I believe all of that.

The only things that seemed questionable to me is his pretense about rage and not planning this out. It just wasn't well planned out. Also, he fully knows why Shanann didn't fight back. He had her pinned under the covers. Horrific.

So many people were right about his relationship dynamics and how he picked dominant people. I was surprised he moved out of his house and never went back. Also interesting that he seemed to dump them once he got with Shanann. Echoes of things to come maybe. His ability to disconnect. It was odd though that he was able to describe his parents so positively yet disconnect so quickly.

He is truly bizarre. After only couple months he was willing to decimate his entire family for a monstrous siren. Incredible. It supports my suspicion that he really didn't feel much actual feeling in life and the excitement of being pursued by a sexy woman became dangerously obsessing. But it's so hard to understand.

The investigator questions about what they could've done differently were pretty interesting and show LE's motivation. I hope those questioning their reasons for going down there can listen to this. It had nothing to do with investigating anyone else. Just trying to understand and profile and learn for the next time.

CW's family is even more vile than I thought, IMO. The things they've said to him about Shanann and trying to convince him that he's a battered husband and suffered from some complex PTSD? After saying what they said at his sentencing? Just evil. They're still trying to bash that poor woman. Yes, CW described an imperfect woman but also someone who was loving and a great mother. She didn't deserve to be choked until she defecated and then died and she doesn't deserve the continued attempts to deflect blame onto her by his terrible family.

CW is incredibly bizarre. How he describes his mindset. The things he cares about (how people perceive him), his candor about his thoughts and feelings. His regrets. How he reads to his kids every night. And has his family's photo on his wall (much like Christian Longo). His total lack of insight about normal human emotion. I mean he candidly discusses the suffering and fear he put his family through and sort of is able to coldly discuss Bella's terror and understanding about what he had done and was going to do to her, but he just seems sort of detached by that. Not realizing or only vaguely realizing how horrific that was and how his words will affect people and make them feel.

Yet he is haunted by Bella's last words. "No daddy!" But he is surprised that people would judge him based on only one thing he did in his life? Are you kidding, chief? That one thing cancels out EVERYTHING you've done in life that might have been good. You dumped all that in the toilet by your morning of murder.

My gosh. He has something very wrong with him that I don't think can be explained by any diagnosis. Not really.

I can't wait to hear what everyone thinks and to get more blanks filled in by people who heard the audio.
Ita. And shout out to you, @MassGuy, and others who nailed him, NK, and all the dynamics at play early on in this process.

I found his descriptions of his rage very telling. He had never felt rage before and it took over, etc. I would argue that he’s never felt anything before. That’s another example of him minimizing actions that he was in control of.

I am literally sick to my stomach over all of this and have been since early this morning. I hope to
God his family is having a very bad day. No one deserves it more.

All MOO, as always.

I may have missed it, but didn't hear any true repentance in his words.

You can't find God, until you humble yourself completely and TRULY repent your evil actions.

I'd LIKE to think he found God, but doubt it.

Yeah, I’m not sure he knew.

I think he believed he was having a conversation with old friends.

The fact that he couldn’t see the recording devices, means that he was able to speak freely.

This would have been very different had he known he was being recorded, and he knew they were coming.

Yeah - there's no indication that he knew this would ever be released. Which is kinda funny, really, since everything else has already been released. Why would this be different?

I love your takeaways and agree with them all.

My feeling now is that this was definitely premeditated, but he needed something to give him the courage to actually go through with this.

I think he wanted a fight that would trigger him, and allow him to go through with this.

I think the credit card usage was designed for that purpose, and he directed their conversation on the night of the murder, in furtherance of this.

He wanted her to make him angry, and he helped her with that.

I found it very interesting that he was able to kill his family, but committing suicide was somehow crossing a line.

That goes to his narcissism again, of which there are no shortage of examples in his latest confession.

It’s still all about him, as exemplified by his concern for himself, when he was squeezing the life out of Shanann.

No moron, her life is over, not yours.

Atleast literally.

The suicide thing was very telling to me. "so many people would've been hurt" - pretty much all the people he ALREADY hurt. So why not? Because he didn't want to die.

I wondered that too. I think she maybe sensed danger. When he did t get off her when she said he was hurting the baby, she grew scared. Her mind may have told her he couldn't truly hurt her but her instinct maybe warned her so she sort of froze?

Possibly this. If it happened the way he said, I think this scenario likely explains the lack of defense. If they truly never had a screaming argument or anything like that before, she may have not conceived he could ever REALLY harm her.

With infidelity, there's a well known phenomenon called the "trickle truth" - where the cheater tells the partner some of the story and says that's the whole thing, then later some other evidence or issue comes up and more of the story comes out (and reveals some lies from the first "complete story"), and then more. This can go on and on. I think that's what's happening here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77