GUILTY CO - Shanann Watts (34), Celeste"Cece" (3) and Bella (4), Frederick, 13 Aug 2018 *CW LWOP* #69

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chris Watts said he hasn’t watched interviews where he pleads for the safe return of his family

In prison interview, Chris Watts describes his marriage

Investigators ask Chris Watts what purpose their interview should have

CW says like...like you know like... alot when referring to SW supposedly telling him that she couldn't live by herself in Colorado and would be taking the girls out of state..

I believe CW is not being truthful here MOO
He is very vague about that last conversation - and I believe it is because it never happened.

Chris Watts said he hasn’t watched interviews where he pleads for the safe return of his family

Investigators ask Chris Watts what purpose their interview should have
Yeah, I thought the Thayers said he was obsessed about how he did in those interviews. Not sure whether they said he watched them or not.

Because he called his co-worker over the weekend and told him that he could sleep in and he would check on the oil tanks by himself leads one to believe that the murders were premeditated. He probably was thinking about it and wasn't quite sure if he had the nerve to follow though.

I want to know--in a nutshell--what CW's motive was for murdering his wife and his children. What was his payoff going to be in his mind? I wish the agents had asked these frank questions in the end. I do believe that NK would have conveniently believed that SW and the girls moved back to NC or to an undisclosed location. NK is very self-centered and wouldn't care one iota, IMO.

I believe that CW may well have gotten away with this crime had he had a chance to complete the staging. NA made sure that didn't happen. She actually is the one who should be credited with foiling his plan.

Surely, CW had to know that he would be watched. I don't know how he thought that the oil site would not be checked. His work truck had GPS. Why didn't he use her car to dispose of all of them? I guess that CW didn't count on the staging as being so complex.

I can only assume that, if CW, had gotten away with murdering his entire family, he would have mov ed on to his new life without missing a beat.

Last edited:
That made me stop and think too. I think she means Dr. Phil.
MOO

I realised that afterwards lol I thought it was someone who'd made a proper diagnosis of him.

I find the interview so intriguing from an analytical point of view. I think he's definitely revealed a lot more here, though I don't know if every single thing he said was the real truth. He has that habit of 'like this, like that, like, like' and in the first part of the interview, before the lunch break, I think he went into that mode for a while, but it was so long that I can't remember exactly what he was talking about at the time. Later on in the interview he seemed to be telling more truths as his voice was far more relaxed. Then in other parts, particularly when talking about the murders of the girls, there seemed to be a lot of stress...like he didn't really want to admit those things but he did it.

If this interview helps the FBI and other organizations put away more murderers, then I am glad he did it. I also think it's a positive thing he's admitted that he was the only killer that night. I'm sure there will still be some people who still won't/can't believe that, but I think it's preferable for him to have said it today than at the plea hearing. At the plea hearing people would have thought that he was only saying it because he had to in order to get the plea that took away the death penalty. He could have walked out of this interview at any time if he'd wanted, he was under zero obligation to say that he'd committed the murders. I do believe that most of what he said there was the truth.

No. That WAS their job. They did it. He confessed.
Now they have flown all the way to Wisconsin to hold his hand and rub his neck like Ronnie did while he weaves in and out of his truth and lies. They had to lead him the first time. This time all they had to do was turn on the recorder!
They gave him another opportunity to throw Shanaan under the bus.

I absolutely disagree. The victims' families and society are vested in the truth and understanding how a monster is created and how he did what he did, LE is vested in helping that happen, providing some answers to the victims' loved ones, silencing his disgusting apologists and importantly, learning from him so that they can be even better the next time.

The fact that anyone believes they were sympathetic and had no reason to be there except gratuitously giving him some sort of platform for no reason, is to me really about whether one has the ability to divorce intense emotion from circumstance and for some it's about just not being a professional who has to work in such situations, so it's hard to understand what they have to do and their ability to do it.

Clearly many people couldn't do that job. But these folks can. And they're so good that some are as fooled as CW was, into thinking that they actually felt an affinity for him.

Nope. Not a chance in hell. If they were the type that could feel sympathy for a murderer like that they never would be in their job to begin with, they wouldn't be as good as they are and if they developed any kind of empathy for the bad guys they'd be immediately fired. That sort of attitude would be much too dangerous for an LE investigator to have. They would not be able to do their jobs effectively and would not be allowed to hold such a position.

They also would not be allowed to go down there for some nebulous reason that you've described. There is a whole team and superiors involved in those decisions. This was well planned in advance after they heard he was talking to the civil litigator, they had meetings with multiple professionals in which they discussed strategy and psychological approach. They crafted a well-designed plan and knew exactly how they would respond and react to certain things.

They're profilers and this was about profiling and justice. It's their profession.

Wow just wow here listening to him talk further at 7:00 ish - 8ish about why being in WI is much better for him than being in Colorado. I know I already said this but please send him send him back here to Colorado! It’s killing me as a local hearing him pretty much saying he’s having an easier time being in Wisconsin! The guards can handle it here, that’s their job!

Last edited:
Per the interview CW never believed SW plane was delayed.

He assume that SW and NA were somewhere talking .

The agent tells him no her flight was in fact delayed and CW says oh.

Could he have been thinking that she was Talking to NA about him and his CC charges or of a possible affair in general?

Could he have been laying in wait?

Just musing and found it an interesting little tidbit....MOO

That was very interesting! We had surmised that he was sitting at home counting the seconds ticking for Shanann to walk through the door. But the way he said he was actually fearing they were talking about him and his being unfaithful...that rings true as a precipitant to his deciding to commit murder that night/early morning.

Chris Watts tells FBI about murders in prison interview
[...]

He agreed to meet with officials from the Colorado Bureau of Investigation, Federal Bureau of Investigation and Frederick Police Department for a taped interview.

[
...]

Watts had been a quiet child and didn’t date in high school. He met Shannan when he was 25 years old, and hadn’t been in a relationship longer than six months before that, he told investigators.

Watts’s mother was hesitant about their relationship, and that carried over after Watts proposed in 2012, he said.

When they were married, Watts started to break ties with his family, though he wasn’t sure why. During the interview, he wondered out loud if Shanann had “coached” him to do so.

[...]

About a month into their relationship, Watts told Kessinger that he had talked with her about separating. After hearing this, Kessinger offered to help him look for a place to live around Brighton or Fort Lupton.

[...]

While two other people claimed to have had affairs with Watts, he denied knowing them in the interview with investigators.

[...]

Watts took a multi-hour polygraph test at the Frederick Police Department that turned his brain “to mush, to Jell-O,” he said.

“Walking in there that day, just walking into that room — I knew I wasn’t walking out,” he said.

[...]

According to the newly released interview, at one point during the interrogation, somebody asked if Shanann had killed the girls, not Watts. After that was mentioned, Watts “just went with it” because his attorneys were doing so, he said.

But two weeks later, he told his attorneys the truth: He had also killed the girls. He said his attorneys were quiet as they took notes, and said they appreciated his honesty. Watts told them he wanted to plead guilty — a decision that his attorneys confirmed with him about “100 times,” he said.

“I didn’t want my attorneys to lie for me for two to four years,” he said, adding that he didn’t want everyone involved to relive the case every day if he went on trial.

[...]

Because he called his co-worker over the weekend and told him that he could sleep in and he would check on the oil tanks by himself leads one to believe that the murders were premeditated. He probably was thinking about it and wasn't quite sure if he had the nerve to follow though.

I want to know--in a nutshell--what CW's motive was for murdering his wife and his children. What was his payoff going to be in his mind? I wish the agents had asked these frank questions in the end. I do believe that NK would have conveniently believe that SW and the girls moved back to NC or to an undisclosed location. NK is very self-centered and wouldn't care one iota, IMO.

I believe that CW may well have gotten away with this crime had he had a chance to complete the staging. NA made sure that didn't happen. She actually is the one who should be credited with foiling his plan.

Surely, CW had to know that he would be watched. I don't know how he thought that the oil site would not be checked. His work truck had GPS. Why didn't he use her car to dispose of all of them? I guess that CW didn't count on the staging as being so complex.

I can only assume that, if CW, had gotten away with murdering his entire family, he would have mov ed on to his new life without missing a beat.
I actually do not believe CW would have gotten away with it. I just think it would have taken a little longer. With GPS there is no way once they were reported missing - even later - even with more work to stage the scene - that drones would have not picked up the disturbed earth. Even if he moved her later - disturbed earth would have been seen. MOO.

His motive was moving on to a new life with NK who didn't want to be second fiddle to his old family. Family annihilators don't usually plan too far ahead on how things will look. I guess he hoped she would think they took off and nobody ever found them. He was wrong. I think if they had asked him about further staging plans he would have said he didn't think it through so we will never know - because he does not ever plan to admit he planned this. MOO

I want to know--in a nutshell--what CW's motive was for murdering his wife and his children. What was his payoff going to be in his mind? I wish the agents had asked these frank questions in the end. I do believe that NK would have conveniently believe that SW and the girls moved back to NC or to an undisclosed location. NK is very self-centered and wouldn't care one iota, IMO.

I completely agree with your first part, that he was thinking about murder on that weekend.

Investigators probably didn’t prod him on his motive, because he basically told them that this was a spur of the moment thing.

It wasn’t. They know that; we know that.

I don’t believe he would have gotten away with this, even if he was able to complete the staging.

Shanann’s friends wouldn’t allow for that, and an investigation would have ultimately led law enforcement to suspect foul play.

This would have simply taken a bit longer.

His actions after the murder, wreak to me of some sort of controlled panic.

That’s why I think this was a bit of a mix between full on premeditation (planning to kill them at a specific place and time), and spur of the moment (taking advantage of the opportunity that he himself created by triggering Shanann).

His motive was a new life, and he simply hadn’t thought much about what would come next.

It was a fantasy, that proved much more difficult in terms of achieving it.

That’s how fantasies work.

Last edited:
No. That WAS their job. They did it. He confessed.
Now they have flown all the way to Wisconsin to hold his hand and rub his neck like Ronnie did while he weaves in and out of his truth and lies. They had to lead him the first time. This time all they had to do was turn on the recorder!
They gave him another opportunity to throw Shanaan under the bus.

Surely you don't believe they all traveled to Wisconsin for CW own benefit?

I think there are many reasons they went there and I don't believe anything was to benefit CW

What makes me happy is that he remembers exactly all that her family said at sentencing. I hope he remembers that and Bella’s last words haunt him for the rest of his life.
I personally do not think he is haunted. I don't think he has the capacity for empathy. He is definitely sorry he was caught. He will miss parts of being a dad and husband - but not like we would. Being haunted by his actions are not in the cards for him in my opinion. It is not in his capacity. He never even said he misses them. He never sounds crushed. He never talks about the lives they could have had. He is just ashamed he is seen for doing something bad. He cares about how others perceive him and tries to fit what would make them see him in a better light. Always has. MOO

ETA: His old family to me is like dolls he used to play with everyday. They are gone from his life and he might miss them in that sense - but they never had a life of their own to empathize with, cherish, mourn for, value.

Emotionally its very uncomfortable listening because of what we are hearing him describe and our feelings towards his family... (Which we all still think he is lacking)

Those investigators are amazing at what they do...

I listened from the middle live and now starting back at the beginning...

Just finished listening to the first audio release. IMO, I have to believe that CW is MOSTLY telling the truth regarding the murders and how they happened (remember, I say MOSTLY) because my heart and my head never could have even imagined just how horrific those deaths were after listening to CW. I had always thought BW & CC were sleeping when he killed them. I'm not even sure I could think of a more horrific explanation re: BW & CC than what CW gave.

I thought the agents have done a great job throughout this whole thing. Agent Coder is a brilliant FBI agent if you ask me. Not sure I agree with him that he is "passive" as he said to CW (and Agent Lee also said she didn't think he was), but he sure as h*** is patient, and that patience makes him very persuasive in getting answers. With his calm, gentle manner, I can see why he works in the child area of the FBI.
ETA I don't see why Coder offered to communicate his thoughts to NK. Just too chummy. Hey, I'll call your girlfriend....

Last edited:
Watts told them he wanted to plead guilty — a decision that his attorneys confirmed with him about “100 times,” he said.

I hope this quashes any inkling out there that he was coerced. Sounds like his lawyers gave him about 100 opportunities to change his mind and in his own words, he wanted to plead guilty. It was his decision. Anyone claiming otherwise at this point is being willfully ignorant.

I personally do not think he is haunted. I don't think he has the capacity for empathy. He is definitely sorry he was caught. He will miss parts of being a dad and husband - but not like we would. Being haunted by his actions are not in the cards for him in my opinion. It is not in his capacity. He never even said he misses them. He never sounds crushed. He never talks about the lives they could have had. He is just ashamed he is seen for doing something bad. He cares about how others perceive him and tries to fit what would make them see him in a better light. Always has. MOO

ETA: His old family to me is like dolls he used to play with everyday. They are gone from his life and he might miss them in that sense - but they never had a life of their own to empathize with, cherish, mourn for, value.

I think you are right. I just got to the end part of the interview he actually seems happy to be in prison. Seems like he is actually talking with friends. Between the short moments of him talking about girls, I don’t see real regret.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks