CANADA Canada - Ben Tyner, 32, cowboy, horse returned w/o him, Merritt, British Columbia, 26 Jan 2019 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

cybervampira

Reaction score
Search is on for Merritt cowboy likely missing since weekend

Police and search and rescue groups are scouring areas near Merritt after a cowboy was reported missing.

Merritt RCMP say the search is on its second day. Police were advised of a horse with no rider and full gear around 12:30 p.m. on Monday (Jan. 28).

Local loggers had located the horse earlier in the day and told local ranchers, who retrieved the horse and were able to identify its owner.

A 32-year-old man who works for a local ranch was identified as the missing rider, and had been on his days off when he went missing.

The man had last been seen Saturday afternoon at 2:00 p.m., but it's unknown when he rode into the back country.

Nicola Valley Search and Rescue along with Kamloops SAR are coordinating the search efforts, while teams from the Shuswap, Penticton, Princeton, Logan Lake, Central Okanagan, Chilliwack and Surrey have been called in to help.

Nearly 40 SAR members were onsite Monday evening with Police Dog Services, snowmobiles and RCMP Air support. Air searches by SAR, PEP Air and Drones were also conducted overnight.

Hunt on for missing Merritt cowboy after riderless horse found

Searchers look for cowboy whose horse returned without him in Merritt, B.C.

Thread #1

Last edited by a moderator:
When I told a world champion barrel racing friend about Gunny's broken rein her first response was that Gunny was tied up and broke free causing the break. Her next response was that Gunny would do everything she could to find her way back to the barn.
So who tied her up and why?
Can the rein be fingerprinted?

Notice from FB group about searches. Interesting that they don't want unofficial help from volunteers.

ADMIN UPDATE: I've confirmed with Jack that informal ground search efforts cannot take place until or unless RCMP approve them. He will let me know if that is the case and I'll let all of you know.

MISSING: BEN TYNER

Last edited:
When I told a world champion barrel racing friend about Gunny's broken rein her first response was that Gunny was tied up and broke free causing the break. Her next response was that Gunny would do everything she could to find her way back to the barn.
So who tied her up and why?
Can the rein be fingerprinted?

This statement is speculative and here is why. I have not heard what the length of the "broken rein" was. If the rein was broken in half, maybe it was tied up. If it was a short piece, probably not. If it was a short piece I would think Gunny stepped on the rein, spooked threw her head up and broke the rein. The rein had to go around a tree and we don't know anything about the size of the tree or length of rein. JMO

Notice from FB group about searches. Interesting that they don't want unofficial help from volunteers.

ADMIN UPDATE: I've confirmed with Jack that informal ground search efforts cannot take place until or unless RCMP approve them. He will let me know if that is the case and I'll let all of you know.

The reservation is supposeclybsearching, according to an earlier article. I don’t think RCMP can keep outdoorsmen from riding snow mobiles, horses, 4 wheelers & “looking”. Do you? I do wonder if LE might be concerned people will get lost or injured, adding to the chaos.
OR do they have the info to move forward & are waiting to make an arrest?

The reservation is supposeclybsearching, according to an earlier article. I don’t think RCMP can keep outdoorsmen from riding snow mobiles, horses, 4 wheelers & “looking”. Do you? I do wonder if LE might be concerned people will get lost or injured, adding to the chaos.
OR do they have the info to move forward & are waiting to make an arrest?
All $20 million questions. Maybe they want folks to check with them first for their own safety, or to keep track where searches are being conducted, or to prevent them from trespassing on private land.....or to protect evidence.

The comments following this post where along the lines of "what if I want to have a picnic and just happen to be looking?", etc. Sounds like this was aimed at group intentional searches. At this point, I'd think they'd welcome those who want to keep looking. IMO

And I posted the article about the reservation searching, so I do believe that is still happening. If it's on their land, I presume's that might be up to them.

Response from another admin of the page sort of confirms the evidence possibility. Places that need to be searched or searched again, I'd say, once weather is more cooperative.

Dhw Wlams MISSING: BEN TYNER

"Unless the road is blocked off you can go where you always go. I think what they are worried about would be evidence that Ben has been there and hasn’t been found yet and we go and make it so it’s not useable if needed."

Last edited:
I don’t think RCMP can keep outdoorsmen from riding snow mobiles, horses, 4 wheelers & “looking”. Do you? I do wonder if LE might be concerned people will get lost or injured, adding to the chaos.
Respectively snipped and bbm: I totally agree! And I think that's exactly why LE isn't encouraging rewards.

What LE wants, and most needs, is the find Ben.

The last thing they want, or need, is for some reward-happy "Tom, Dick, or Harry" going willy-nilly into the backcountry and getting lost! Moo

P.S. Hoping my Canadian neighbors know who I mean by "Tom, Dick, and Harry." :)

Respectively snipped and bbm: I totally agree! And I think that's exactly why LE isn't encouraging rewards.

What LE wants, and most needs, is the find Ben.

The last thing they want, or need, is for some reward-happy "Tom, Dick, or Harry" going willy-nilly into the backcountry and getting lost! Moo

P.S. Hoping my Canadian neighbors know who I mean by "Tom, Dick, and Harry." :)

Could be. I’m still perplexed the NR owner has not made a public comment, plea for safe return or offered a reward. LE can’t prevent someone from posting a reward. Even if the family is opposed, imo, the ranch owner has a dog in this fight & could post one. I can’t think of one case where an employer hasn’t offered a reward for a missing person.
Jmo
Makes me think there’s a reason for lack of reward.......

Could be. I’m still perplexed the NR owner has not made a public comment, plea for safe return or offered a reward. LE can’t prevent someone from posting a reward. Even if the family is opposed, imo, the ranch owner has a dog in this fight & could post one. I can’t think of one case where an employer hasn’t offered a reward for a missing person.
Jmo
Makes me think there’s a reason for lack of reward.......

It might just be a regional thing. I don't think that's a common thing around here. It would be considered none of the employer's business to interfere like that when it would be the family's place to decide on a reward. But ... that's just how it is in these parts.

It might just be a regional thing. I don't think that's a common thing around here. It would be considered none of the employer's business to interfere like that when it would be the family's place to decide on a reward. But ... that's just how it is in these parts.

Perhaps it is dif stateside.
Plus, we know so little.
Of course there could be legal ramifications, etc.
hopefully the Tyner family will one day get closure.

Meh! ...<nose slightly in air, flicks hair off shoulders> ... actually, we prefer the Shakespearean version "Tom, Dick, and François". :p
OMG... @musicaljoke you are too funny and made me literally Laugh-Out-Loud!
Except for causing me to spew a mouthful of coffee across PC Monitor, thanks for the "Comic Relief." :)

Only newsies that reportedly formal searches are still ongoing. Good to know.

RL Dakin ^ "There is always a police investigation running in the background of ANY missing person report. A few weeks ago, everyone was also informed via the media that a second arm of the RCMP was coming in to assist on Ben's case.

In terms of ground searches, it's been noted that a FORMAL search will always take precedence over an INFORMAL search. Apparently, there is still a formal search going on and that takes priority. Police are doing their job and our job is to stand back, not get in the way, and let them do it."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member