GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Definitely my bad memory! No other excuse.

And, it seems the "lawn guy" was never dismissed.

Could this photo be what you were thinking of?

5b74dc964c929.image.jpg

Body of missing Putnam County woman found on Lake Oconee

The article is about finding Shirley's body. Is that a photo of the area close to where she was found in the water? There appear to be cinder blocks in that area. In this article the cinder blocks weighing the body down are mentioned.

She has two red cinder blocks tied around both of her ankles and over her white socks with a parachute cord, in an effort to weigh her down in the water. The cement blocks are inside a blueish-gray mesh bag, a tad larger than a laundry bag.

GONE COLD | A lake with no leads: Who killed the Dermonds?

(The Gone Cold article is excellent and gives many details about the evidence in the case)

Breakaway_Cinder_Block_Red_grande.jpg

link

Last edited:
So I Googled “use concrete blocks as a boat anchor” and I found several posts in boat forums that mentioned doing this.

It seems this is something used as a cheap alternative to standard anchors, when one is fishing in areas where there is a risk of losing an anchor (getting it stuck or tangled and having to abandon the anchor). So these blocks are commonly used as “disposable” anchors.

Wanna know the creepy part? The number I saw mentioned several times was “30 lbs”.

So maybe that’s our explanation on the source of the blocks?

So I Googled “use concrete blocks as a boat anchor” and I found several posts in boat forums that mentioned doing this.

It seems this is something used as a cheap alternative to standard anchors, when one is fishing in areas where there is a risk of losing an anchor (getting it stuck or tangled and having to abandon the anchor). So these blocks are commonly used as “disposable” anchors.

Wanna know the creepy part? The number I saw mentioned several times was “30 lbs”.

So maybe that’s our explanation on the source of the blocks?

I had a John boat (14 foot flat bottomed fishing boat) for fifteen years and used a cinderblock as the anchor the entire time. You don’t want a standard anchor because that has a much greater chance of becoming snagged on debris while a cinderblock doesn’t.

I should have added that typically anchors are for the ocean or the bay. Not for rivers or shallow lakes.

Last edited:
Could this photo be what you were thinking of?

5b74dc964c929.image.jpg

Body of missing Putnam County woman found on Lake Oconee

The article is about finding Shirley's body. Is that a photo of the area close to where she was found in the water? There appear to be cinder blocks in that area. In this article the cinder blocks weighing the body down are mentioned.

GONE COLD | A lake with no leads: Who killed the Dermonds?

(The Gone Cold article is excellent and gives many details about the evidence in the case)

Breakaway_Cinder_Block_Red_grande.jpg

link

Thank you as always.

This reminds me of another sad case where a concrete block was used.

Don Morengello, who was a retired NASA rocket scientist, murdered his wife.

Once murdering her he took a concrete block from his own seawall, and used it to so her body would stay weighted down in the bay right behind their home.

She finally broke free of the rope, and concrete block once decomposition gases became more pronounced.

A concrete expert testified in the trial, and he was able to match that exact block to the ones DM had forming his seawall. It was fascinating testimony, imo.

Many have used concrete blocks that were available at the actual crime scene, and used them to weigh victims down.

In the south it is very common to use cinder blocks as anchors. Not because they are cheap, but because they work. Anchors are pretty cheaply priced too.

They work as well as anchors, but they do not get tangled up when resting on the bottom as easily as anchors tend to do in rivers, creeks, and lakes.

Imo

Maybe it was someone who lived on the lake and the killing happened at their house. This could explain the buying time theory so they could clean up. But who would want to kill a couple in their late 80's?
Nobody? Unless there was some huge and urgent money issue that wasn't going someone's way, and/or someone's extreme long-festering hatred wanting to seek vengeance in the most grotesque manner?

.... A concrete expert testified in the trial, and he was able to match that exact block to the ones DM had forming his seawall. It was fascinating testimony, imo.

Many have used concrete blocks that were available at the actual crime scene, and used them to weigh victims down. ....
RSBM
I sincerely hope that SS had a good look around the D property, as well as neighboring properties within the community to see if anyone's property used blocks similar to the ones found with SD, and that if so, he had the same type of analysis performed on them! And even checked out local building suppliers for same.

I forgot the exact age. It's on my recording. I'll include it in next weeks episode of the podcast.

I believe Mark was the oldest of the 4 so that being said this kid could possibly be the oldest. Mark's kid would have been at least 15 at the time of the murders but probably more like 20's assuming she wasn't born after the murders.

I’m trying to look at previous posts. There are threads 1- 10 and then 12. How do I find thread 11?

Can anyone point me to a link that would tell me the exact location where SD body was found. I'm trying to find out about how far away from shore she was located.

Tennispro has provided a map that is marked with a X at the shoreline near Wallace Dam Rd. Was SD body found near the shoreline or out further into the channel (deep part of water)?

I'm looking for approximately how many feet away from that shoreline was her body located. Thanks to all in advance...

Not to be rude but I’ve shown you. Do you think a tree line magically grows in the middle of a lake? Could my mark be off a 5-10 feet in one direction or another. Yes. Could it be off by more than 25 feet? Not likely unless you think the people on the lake that day all lied to me.

I posted earlier what was a through description but then you misread my post. So I decided since I’ve been their on multiple occasions a map would help.

Now you want the exact GPS coordinates? Do you have a theory? I’m not mapping the exact gps coordinates of that area. I’m not giving them out in May when I put the Go Pro on my head either because the body got placed their by water.

I guess I’m just confused at this point with the requests. Three parties know the exact location. Sheriff Sills, the perps and the fishermen who found the body. I believe they’re polygraphed at some point also.

SS said he has some evidence that he hasn’t released yet. Maybe something in that location is what he is referring too because he has always been vague about two things. What the neighbor saw and the location of SD body. Heck he even forget in the podcast how many days later it was discovered.

IMO

Can anyone point me to a link that would tell me the exact location where SD body was found. I'm trying to find out about how far away from shore she was located.

Tennispro has provided a map that is marked with a X at the shoreline near Wallace Dam Rd. Was SD body found near the shoreline or out further into the channel (deep part of water)?

I'm looking for approximately how many feet away from that shoreline was her body located. Thanks to all in advance...

Not to be rude but I’ve shown you. Do you think a tree line magically grows in the middle of a lake? Could my mark be off a 5-10 feet in one direction or another. Yes. Could it be off by more than 25 feet? Not likely unless you think the people on the lake that day all lied to me.

I posted earlier what was a through description but then you misread my post. So I decided since I’ve been their on multiple occasions a map would help.

Now you want the exact GPS coordinates? Do you have a theory? I’m not mapping the exact gps coordinates of that area. I’m not giving them out in May when I put the Go Pro on my head either because the body got placed their by water.

I guess I’m just confused at this point with the requests. Three parties know the exact location. Sheriff Sills, the perps and the fishermen who found the body. I believe they’re polygraphed at some point also.

SS said he has some evidence that he hasn’t released yet. Maybe something in that location is what he is referring too because he has always been vague about two things. What the neighbor saw and the location of SD body. Heck he even forget in the podcast how many days later it was discovered.

IMO
I didn’t mean to offend you in anyway. I was not asking you this question exclusively. Perhaps other members have information on this topic they would be willing to share.

I said “Can anyone” I did not say “Can you, tennispro”

SS said she was dumped in Deep water (channel) which according to Lake Oconee Topo map is some 800 feet off shore. He also said her body was tangled up in some tree branches.

Either her body was located in the channel about 800 feet off shore or she was located closer to shore where the tree line is.

I don’t think tree lines “magically grow in the middle of the lake” but SS must!

Of course I’m working on a theory, why else would I be here!

Thanks for your help

Isn't Lake Oconee man made?
Wouldn't there be trees under water just like at Lake Lanier, where bodies have been found tangled in trees underwater on several occasions.

JMO and watching local news here since 1984...

Maybe it was someone who lived on the lake and the killing happened at their house. This could explain the buying time theory so they could clean up. But who would want to kill a couple in their late 80's?

I can’t imagine this elderly couple having any enemies, at this point in their lives. I can, however, imagine someone who would profit from their demise.

IMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members