GUILTY MA - Jassy Correia, 23, last seen at club Venu, phone shut off, Boston, 24 Feb 2019 *arrest*

Louis Coleman III remains in federal custody in connection to kidnapping death of Jassy Correia

Louis D. Coleman III will remain in federal custody after he appeared in a Boston federal court on Monday in connection to the kidnapping and death of 23-year-old Jassy Correia.

Coleman, 32, of Providence, appeared calm in an orange jumpsuit in the Moakley Courthouse in Boston on Monday. At the request of U.S. District Court Magistrate Judge M. Page Kelley, Coleman acknowledged that he had read over the complaint against him: a federal charge of kidnapping resulting in the death of Correia, a young mother from Dorchester who had been living in Lynn.

[...]

Coleman was represented by two court-appointed attorneys, Jane Peachy and David Hoose.

Hoose is an attorney based in Northampton who has defended suspects facing the death penalty in federal court. If convicted, the federal charge Coleman faces provides for a sentence of death or life in prison. Federal authorities in Massachusetts have not said if they will pursue the death penalty.

Hoose is known for his experience on the Kristen Gilbert case, in which he convinced a jury to reject the death penalty for Gilbert, who was convicted in 2001 of killing four patients inside a Western Massachusetts veterans hospital.

[...]

Suspected killer of Jassy Correia agrees to voluntary detention

Family of slain Dorchester mom Jassy Correia averted tear-filled eyes today as they caught their first glimpse of the polite-spoken man accused of kidnapping their beloved in downtown Boston and hitting the road days later with her naked body in a suitcase.

Louis D. Coleman III, compliantly chained at the wrists and ankles for his cursory initial appearance in U.S. District Court in an orange Plymouth County Correctional Facility jumpsuit, quietly responded, “Yes, your honor,” to several questions posed to him by Magistrate Judge M. Page Kelley, including his acknowledgement that he was volunteering to be held without benefit of a detention hearing.

An arraignment date was not immediately scheduled.

[...]

Louis Coleman III remains in federal custody in connection to kidnapping death of Jassy Correia

Louis D. Coleman III will remain in federal custody after he appeared in a Boston federal court on Monday in connection to the kidnapping and death of 23-year-old Jassy Correia.

Coleman, 32, of Providence, appeared calm in an orange jumpsuit in the Moakley Courthouse in Boston on Monday. At the request of U.S. District Court Magistrate Judge M. Page Kelley, Coleman acknowledged that he had read over the complaint against him: a federal charge of kidnapping resulting in the death of Correia, a young mother from Dorchester who had been living in Lynn.

[...]

Coleman was represented by two court-appointed attorneys, Jane Peachy and David Hoose.

Hoose is an attorney based in Northampton who has defended suspects facing the death penalty in federal court. If convicted, the federal charge Coleman faces provides for a sentence of death or life in prison. Federal authorities in Massachusetts have not said if they will pursue the death penalty.

Hoose is known for his experience on the Kristen Gilbert case, in which he convinced a jury to reject the death penalty for Gilbert, who was convicted in 2001 of killing four patients inside a Western Massachusetts veterans hospital.

[...]

I remember the Kristen Gilbert case. He is set up with a good attorney.

Coleman's motive is still pretty much unknown, right, if he even really had one? And we don't really know what exactly happened between his drive from Boston to prov or the time that she died, has an autopsy been completed now?

I live in providence, and do yoga near his apartment, so the thought of this happening around my home is just.. terrifying. Like anyone could have seen him in plain sight carrying her deceased body? Or was she still alive at that point? And no one is talking about it anymore? So confused. Maybe it's just too soon for them to release all of the details idk

"I threw the note away as it was very creepy, but I do remember he left his Instagram handle," Phou recalled. She said the note said something along the lines of, "I couldn't help notice how beautiful you are."
Who is Louis Coleman? Providence man now at center of deadly kidnapping case

This still creeps me out. I still feel that there have been others. IMO

Yeah that really doesn't look good. What really creeps me out about him is his interest/studies in insomnia and lungs? And he kidnaps a girl in the middle of the night and strangles her?

And also his police call prior to the murder. Was that his plan to setup an insanity defense?

Listen: Could The Suspect In The Jassy Correia Case Get The Death Penalty?

March 12, 2019

"Louis Coleman was arrested in Delaware after he was found with the body of 23-year-old Boston resident Jassy Correia in his trunk. While Massachusetts has abolished the death penalty for state crimes, it is possible that Coleman could face capital punishment under federal law. Morning Edition Host Joe Mathieu spoke about the federal death penalty and whether federal prosecutors might seek it in this case with WGBH News Legal Analyst and Northeastern Law Professor Daniel Medwed. The transcript below has been edited for clarity...."

Could The Suspect In The Jassy Correia Case Get The Death Penalty?

Yeah that really doesn't look good. What really creeps me out about him is his interest/studies in insomnia and lungs? And he kidnaps a girl in the middle of the night and strangles her?

And also his police call prior to the murder. Was that his plan to setup an insanity defense?
I think I read the call was actually in Feb 2018, not this past February, if that makes a difference..

I think I read the call was actually in Feb 2018, not this past February, if that makes a difference..
Now I’m seeing both 2018 and 2019 ...!?

1. By Travis Andersen and Laura Crimaldi Globe Staff
March 01, 2019, Boston Globe:
“Coleman had a brief interaction with Providence police about a week before Correia was kidnapped.

On the night of Feb. 17,
he called police to report that someone was continually knocking on the door to his apartment on Chestnut Street in Providence, according to call logs provided by the department.

Coleman reported that the person wouldn’t answer when he asked who was there and that he was afraid to go outside, the logs show. Police responded but told him there was nothing they could do unless he felt threatened, according to the logs. No one who might have been knocking was located.” (BBM)
Jassy Correia’s death: A closer look at Louis Coleman III, charged in connection with the case - The Boston Globe

2. By: Drew Karedes
Updated: Mar 5, 2019 - 11:34 AM, Boston 25:
“According to Providence Police logs, there was one brief interaction between Coleman and police, about one week before Correia's kidnapping. Coleman called to report that someone was repeatedly banging on his apartment door and that he was afraid to go outside.” (BBM)
Louis Coleman described as 'creepy,' 'aggressive' by former roommate

3. By Katie Mulvaney
Posted Mar 5, 2019 at 1:03 PM; Updated Mar 5, 2019 at 4:15 PM, Providence Journal:
“PROVIDENCE — The Providence man accused of kidnapping a Boston woman whose bruised and bound body investigators found in his car called police last year to report that someone was continually knocking at his apartment door.

The Providence police found a single report documenting an interaction with suspect Louis D. Coleman III.

According to the report, Coleman called the police at 11:40 p.m. Feb. 17, 2018, to say he was afraid to leave his 95 Chestnut St. apartment because someone continually knocked but refused to respond when asked to identify themselves. Officers cleared the scene about 15 minutes later, determining that nothing could be done unless Coleman felt threatened, the report shows.” (BBM)
Kidnapping suspect had 1 prior contact with Providence police - News - providencejournal.com - Providence, RI

4. By: Tim White;
Posted: Mar 01, 2019 06:00 PM EST; Updated: Mar 06, 2019 04:46 PM EST; 12 WPRI
“PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WPRI) - Providence Police visited the apartment of murder suspect Louis Coleman in February 2018, one year before a Boston woman disappeared because he thought he kept hearing people knock at his door.

According to ‘a detail service log’ obtained by Target 12, Louis Coleman called police and told a dispatcher he can ‘hear someone continually knocking at the door.’

‘Says he will ask who it is, but the person won't answer,’ the dispatcher wrote in the log. ‘Afraid to go outside.’

[SBM]

This story was modified from its original to state police went to Coleman's apartment in February 2018, not February 2019.” (BBM)
Murder suspect was visited by police one year before Boston woman vanished

I like that Ms. Mulvaney’s article gives more details about the incident, such as the time of the call and the amount of the time LE spent at the scene. Her article says it happened in 2018.

The fact that Mr. White updated the article with a correction leads me to believe he double-checked the information (or someone inquired about it :)). His article states it was in 2018.

Personally, I’m going with 2018 (for now anyway ;)).

I'm the odd one out on not being overly disturbed by a *single* note, as long as it was limited to "I think you're pretty, here's my Instagram, if you're interested, add me." So far, only that one woman has come forward, right? He wasn't bothering other students at the college or women in his building?

I mean, we live in a world where many people swipe left or right to decide if they want to have a one night hook up with strangers from an app on their phone, so a note sounds almost nerdy in comparison.

The similarities to the Brockton wanted sketch, however, give me pause. He's definitely a weird one.

I'm the odd one out on not being overly disturbed by a *single* note, as long as it was limited to "I think you're pretty, here's my Instagram, if you're interested, add me." So far, only that one woman has come forward, right? He wasn't bothering other students at the college or women in his building?

I mean, we live in a world where many people swipe left or right to decide if they want to have a one night hook up with strangers from an app on their phone, so a note sounds almost nerdy in comparison.

The similarities to the Brockton wanted sketch, however, give me pause. He's definitely a weird one.

I think it’s just more disturbing in light of what he did with poor Jassy. I’ve gotten a few of those notes on my car at a mall. It’s super creepy, IMO. I took most of them to mall security and they were alarmed. They told me to ALWAYS give them any letters like that, as it can indicate a stalking situation, or at least someone being creepy to women who come to the mall. I was alone. The last time, I didn’t take it in. It creeped me out so much, I refused to leave my car to walk back in alone. This was before cell phones. It described my clothing and legs and said they’d be watching to see if I’d like to meet. Creepy!!! It’s cute when someone you know and like leaves you a note on your car. It’s super creepy when it’s anyone else. The notes felt predatory, whether they really were or not. I’d say that’s how this girl felt, too. All jmo and experience.

Oh "watching to see if you want to meet" does sound creepy ! I totally agree there!

It's hard to look at anything he did outside of the context of Jassy, since otherwise we almost cert wouldn't have heard of him. It just read to me, from what was shared as more of a weird/geeky guy than stalker. Sort of like a flyer for his Instagram? Collecting likes? Describing your legs, clothes, anything really detailed, yes, yucky.

I just read the new details on the other guy who kidnapped a young woman from a Boston bar recently. Crazy!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back