The Duggar Family: 18 Kids & Counting

My daughter just loves "Counting On" and she records all the episodes on our dvr. Well last night she was watching one of the episodes and yet another one of them was pregnant yet AGAIN. I guess I just don't get the facination with trying to have as many children as possible. It seems to me all them are trying to compete with their brothers and sister to see who can have the most kids. I'm an only child and I always prayed to God for a brother or sister but I would have hated to be a part of that huge huge huge strange family. I sure as heck wouldn't have worn skirts my entire life.

It's their culture. They're Independent Fundamentalist Baptists and Quiverfull, which is a Christian Dominionist philosophy. They believe that God gives a man arrows to put in his quiver so that there will be an army to fight the infidels. The ALERT academy that their sons go is training ground for this.

Also, this is Christian Patriarchy. A woman's worth is in being a wife and mother. And the more kids, the more value. Here is an analogy:

Getting married is like having a high school diploma.

Having one child is like having an AA degree.

Having 3-6 kids is like having a BA. Having 7-10 is like obtaining a master's degree.

Michelle Duggar has a doctorate. Lol.

Procreation is what the girls are conditioned and trained to want to do. They have few other options except possibly an online college class, or maybe working in a somewhat sex-segregated job like being a doula, or hairdresser, but only until marriage, and of course working with male family members like brothers, dads and husbands, or sometimes having an online business.

They believe birth control causes miscarriages and it is firmly against their religious beliefs.

Andrea Yates had the same beliefs.

At 5-6 kids Michelle Duggar had the infamous laundry room breakdown. At that point she began to check out mentally while still acting as Jim Bobs baby making machine. The older girls all but raised their younger siblings that were handed off to them at 6 months old. They got her some help with the laundry . If you pay attention to her in the talking heads when they still had the tv show she appears medicated. Unending baby production is not good for a woman physically or mentally. Just because the body is capable of doing it doesn't mean a woman should do it.

It's their culture. They're Independent Fundamentalist Baptists and Quiverfull, which is a Christian Dominionist philosophy. They believe that God gives a man arrows to put in his quiver so that there will be an army to fight the infidels. The ALERT academy that their sons go is training ground for this.

Also, this is Christian Patriarchy. A woman's worth is in being a wife and mother. And the more kids, the more value. Here is an analogy:

Getting married is like having a high school diploma.

Having one child is like having an AA degree.

Having 3-6 kids is like having a BA. Having 7-10 is like obtaining a master's degree.

Michelle Duggar has a doctorate. Lol.

Procreation is what the girls are conditioned and trained to want to do. They have few other options except possibly an online college class, or maybe working in a somewhat sex-segregated job like being a doula, or hairdresser, but only until marriage, and of course working with male family members like brothers, dads and husbands, or sometimes having an online business.

They believe birth control causes miscarriages and it is firmly against their religious beliefs.

Andrea Yates had the same beliefs.

Didn't end up so well for Andrea Yates or her poor children.

When the son was caught with *advertiser censored* and cheating and his wife "stood by her man", the sickness of their culture was exposed. Women are valued for their vaginas, cooking skills and ability to submit to the needs of their men. Period.

Didn't end up so well for Andrea Yates or her poor children.

I know. It's terrible. And while lucky mega families like the Duggars and Bateses with their photogenic kids and reality show incomes do well, most mega families are mired in poverty and misery. Not to mention the underbelly of sexual abuse, sexual assaults, child abuse and domestic violence that are rampant in religious patriarchies.

At 5-6 kids Michelle Duggar had the infamous laundry room breakdown. At that point she began to check out mentally while still acting as Jim Bobs baby making machine. The older girls all but raised their younger siblings that were handed off to them at 6 months old. They got her some help with the laundry . If you pay attention to her in the talking heads when they still had the tv show she appears medicated. Unending baby production is not good for a woman physically or mentally. Just because the body is capable of doing it doesn't mean a woman should do it.
I know, right? I knew nothing about them other than they had a bucketful of kids but when the Josh D scandal got exposed I got an eyeful after reading the thread here!

I went to their blog (I don't know if it's still active) and read about Michelle doling out the chores among the kids. I felt so sorry for those kids, especially the older girls. It paralleled an old Christian "survey" where boys voted on things about girls that caused them to have unpure thoughts, of course blaming the girls. It was vomit worthy.

I wish television networks would pass on reality shows like the Duggars or the polygamous grifters Brown family or teen moms - since when did it become normal and acceptable to live such that women are regarded as nothing more than baby-making machines who must please their man? What century are we living in?

Bah.

I know. It's terrible. And while lucky mega families like the Duggars and Bateses with their photogenic kids and reality show incomes do well, most mega families are mired in poverty and misery. Not to mention the underbelly of sexual abuse, sexual assaults, child abuse and domestic violence that are rampant in religious patriarchies.

Homeschooling, and women without opportunities for higher education, or financial independence without a man. I have seen some of these large families, the younger children seem almost feral in their lack of social skills and food grabbing/hoarding behaviors.

Reality TV's the Duggar family are mourning the loss of Grandma Mary Duggar.

The 78-year-old died on Sunday in a tragic accident after she slipped and drowned in a swimming pool, according to Washington County Coroner Roger W. Morris who confirmed the cause of death to People.

Jill Duggar Dillard — the fourth of Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar's 19 children — revealed the news in a tribute Instagram post shortly after Mary's death.
Matriarch from 19 Kids & Counting dies in tragic accident

Reality TV's the Duggar family are mourning the loss of Grandma Mary Duggar.

The 78-year-old died on Sunday in a tragic accident after she slipped and drowned in a swimming pool, according to Washington County Coroner Roger W. Morris who confirmed the cause of death to People.

Jill Duggar Dillard — the fourth of Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar's 19 children — revealed the news in a tribute Instagram post shortly after Mary's death.
Matriarch from 19 Kids & Counting dies in tragic accident
Two of the Duggar daughters - Jill and Jessa - got some heat for using their grandmother's death as an opportunity to send fans to their monetized links. While I'm sure they grieve her loss it's crappy that they were so quick to make people have to click on their blog links in order to read their tributes to her. MOO.
'Emotionally immature' Jill Duggar is SLAMMED for 'making money' off her grandma's death | Daily Mail Online
The Duggars: Who's Courting? Pregnant? Next In Line? [UPDATED] - The Hollywood Gossip

Homeschooling, and women without opportunities for higher education, or financial independence without a man. I have seen some of these large families, the younger children seem almost feral in their lack of social skills and food grabbing/hoarding behaviors.
It's nothing to celebrate. Never understood the show,or it's spinoffs popularity. Pop out as many babies as you can,so what if any of them sexually abuse others. Just sweep it under the rug. No worries that he gets married and had his own Quiverfull to .....
MOO

It's nothing to celebrate. Never understood the show,or it's spinoffs popularity. Pop out as many babies as you can,so what if any of them sexually abuse others. Just sweep it under the rug. No worries that he gets married and had his own Quiverfull to .....
MOO

I suppose it is to their credit that none of their children have been in trouble, except Josh...but, if you have to keep your kids away from society, in a compound, in order to achieve this...I am not so sure that is a "win".

None of their adult children, aside from one (John David), really seems to have a job, or is self supporting. That pretty much sums up the success of raising children the "Duggar Way".

I suppose it is to their credit that none of their children have been in trouble, except Josh...but, if you have to keep your kids away from society, in a compound, in order to achieve this...I am not so sure that is a "win".

None of their adult children, aside from one (John David), really seems to have a job, or is self supporting. That pretty much sums up the success of raising children the "Duggar Way".
They weren't kept in a compound believe me they ran all over town , I still find it hard to believe , that Michelle turned out this way ....but ICK I agree they are a bit nutty . (Very much so )

this was the style in the 1860's:

1864bathingsuits.jpg

are you implying this has changed!?!?!?! LOL

JMHO YMMV

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members