Nationwide College Cheating Scandal - Actresses, Business Owners Charged, Mar 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back in the early 70's, there were no test prep classes or tutoring for ACT or SAT. We just took the tests, period. Everyone ended up somewhere in a public university. The only time I read a test prep book was for grad school entrance exams. It didn't help much.

Hubs and I and our kids all graduated from basic public state colleges and did very well. People shouldn't put so much pressure on their kids, let them enjoy college. JMO.

SAT prep began by Kaplan in the 1930s. The Sat And The Prep Business - A History Of The Sat Prep Business | Secrets Of The Sat | FRONTLINE | PBS

Could Lori Loughlin and Felicity Huffman Serve Prison Time for Alleged College Admissions

James J. Leonard Jr., a legal expert based out of Atlantic City, says prison time could be a possibility, though not a likely one.

“This is a federal prosecution brought forth by the Department of Justice that carries with it potential life-altering consequences for those involved. The stakes could not be higher,” he tells PEOPLE. “A custodial term is always a possibility when you are charged with felonies. The question to ask is if it’s a probability, and in this case I don’t see it as a probability with respect to the parents involved.”

Of course no prison time !!! Just a few more $$$$ for freedom... attorneys, IRS, fines, and a great crisis team!!! Folks won't remember this next week.
JMHO

Could it be something like a prerecorded message that we all hear saying calls are recorded for quality and training purposes or something like that

Maybe? Seems like a recording like that would be strange considering the topic of discussion, though. But who knows. Everyone involved in this was brazen about what they were up to.

From the article:
"Some students involved in the scandal were unaware that their parents had acted on their behalf, and prosecutors from the Justice Department emphasized that the children had not been the targets of the investigation."

My guess if they falsified the college application there will be ramifications. I just don't think we need to condemn the children yet.

They can call their kid a recruit but unless they played on a variety/jv team and had NCAA accounts they could not be recruited.

Loris daughter knew and should be included.

Yes they received extra points for faking that they were athletes. It’s been reported numerous places today.

Oh give me a break, Mr. Mamet. It's not like we're talking about kids who wouldn't have had a shot a a decent life otherwise.

Its not even like they couldn't have gone to college elsewhere, they wanted the elite colleges without the work. They could have gone elsewhere and worked really hard and transferred to an elite school. A parent who wanted the best for their child would have wanted them to put in the work

Of course no prison time !!! Just a few more $$$$ for freedom... attorneys, IRS, fines, and a great crisis team!!! Folks won't remember this next week.
JMHO

It is the conundrum of that white collar crime.......... less or no jail and more fines in a system that would happily put me and others away.

Yes they received extra points for faking that they were athletes. It’s been reported numerous places today.

I did not see it in the indictments. Is that news spin or is there direct proof? The NYT article states that some of the kids didn't know. I sit on the side of let it shake out. If she knew, then she deserves whatever happens. If she didn't, well, she might be penalized anyway.

But wait, isn't this a victim friendly forum? LOL

Too bad for the wealthy. This makes me question how many of them actually attrnded college on their own nerits and how many had parents that bought their way in for them.

I imagine they could coast through college with super low grades. Who would know. They cannot be released to the public.

Now I will look with suspicion at everyone who I know if very wealthy and has a degree from a prestigious school. This scandal has really ruined it for the wealthy

I did not see it in the indictments. Is that news spin or is there direct proof? The NYT article states that some of the kids didn't know. I sit on the side of let it shake out. If she knew, then she deserves whatever happens. If she didn't, well, she might be penalized anyway.

YouTuber Olivia Jade caught up in US college admissions scandal

In Loughlin’s case, she and her husband, fashion designer Mossimo Giannulli, allegedly paid bribes totaling some $500,000 for their two daughters to be accepted to the University of Southern California as members of the rowing crew team, despite the fact that neither had ever rowed competitively “or otherwise participate[d] in crew”, according to charging documents.

Bbm

Am I reading that wrong. I know I’m not lying

Its not even like they couldn't have gone to college elsewhere, they wanted the elite colleges without the work. They could have gone elsewhere and worked really hard and transferred to an elite school. A parent who wanted the best for their child would have wanted them to put in the work

I don't know what schools these kids went to. But, they might have been very good students who were in a pool with concentrated numbers of excellent students. A 4.0 at my public school would be the equivalent of 2.5 at my child's private school. If they went to highly competitive schools, they might have been at the low end of a college's range. My oldest had classmates that transferred after junior year to the local public high school because there would be far fewer kids at that top at the public school. They took their 4.5 GPA and were at the top of the class. They had stayed at the private school b/c they got more writing, more vocab, better math instruction, competitive science instruction.

YouTuber Olivia Jade caught up in US college admissions scandal

In Loughlin’s case, she and her husband, fashion designer Mossimo Giannulli, allegedly paid bribes totaling some $500,000 for their two daughters to be accepted to the University of Southern California as members of the rowing crew team, despite the fact that neither had ever rowed competitively “or otherwise participate[d] in crew”, according to charging documents.

Bbm

Am I reading that wrong. I know I’m not lying
"despite the fact that neither had ever rowed competitively “or otherwise participate[d] in crew"

Maybe they thought crew referred to J. Crew?

That's what I said to my kids. And they are doing it (and have completed doing it) without loans. Even in today's world, it can happen. Takes work, though.

jmo

I’m saddled with high interest loans and had to navigate everything by myself. Not even moral support

Parents don’t NEED to pay for it but should help a kid navigate through it and teach them how to look and pursue options.

In my case I resent my parents for just not giving a F at all.

I don't know what schools these kids went to. But, they might have been very good students who were in a pool with concentrated numbers of excellent students. A 4.0 at my public school would be the equivalent of 2.5 at my child's private school. If they went to highly competitive schools, they might have been at the low end of a college's range. My oldest had classmates that transferred after junior year to the local public high school because there would be far fewer kids at that top at the public school. They took their 4.5 GPA and were at the top of the class. They had stayed at the private school b/c they got more writing, more vocab, better math instruction, competitive science instruction.

Have you read the articles? You seem to be missing a lot of info

No one is bashing the students who had their spots replaced with these rich kids.

I don’t get what you are trying to say
If they haven't been named suspects then we can't treat them as such here on WS. Right?

If they haven't been named suspects then we can't treat them as such here on WS. Right?

You can always report.

I have said nothing about the victims who had their spots replaced by these rich kids. I’m sorry you feel that the cheaters are the victims, I don’t agree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member