Found Deceased GUATEMALA - Catherine Shaw, 23, British backpacker, 4 March 2019

March 12,2019 730pm:

A Guatemalan police spokesman said today there was no “official theory” on what had happened to Miss Shaw and the country’s Public Prosecution Service would now lead the ongoing investigation.

It is the Ministerio Publico which carries out and leads the investigation

“Information on the causes of death and information on what was found on the young woman’s body, comes from another institution called INACIF, which carries out the autopsy.

“From this point on the PNC simply supports the Ministerio Publico in the investigation it is carrying out.”

An official police source, quizzed about local paper reports pointing to Catherine having been raped and murdered which have also been repeated on national Guatemalan TV, insisted media outlets that had carried the reports had not consulted force HQ.

Miss Shaw’s family have pleaded for restraint over local reports of an alleged leaked police document which they claim stated she might have been raped and murdered.

A statement from the Lucie Blackman Trust on behalf of the former yoga teacher said: “She was very much a nature lover and adored sunrises, so it seems quite conceivable that she went up the mountain to greet the sunrise, shedding clothing as she went, and due to her lack of intake of food and fluid may have passed out or fallen, causing the wounds to her body.

Brit backpacker found dead 'fell 300ft and did not suffer sexual violence'

Assume that sending the report to the crime lab is standard procedure and no indication that foul play is suspected?

I could not find any details on how busy this trail is but surprising that no one put two and two together and informed the authorities of a puppy running around what looks like a pretty organised lookout point. Perhaps not such an unusual occurrence..

There are a lot of stray cats and dogs that blend into the background so that is not an unusual occurrence but that puppy was a blessing in disguise.

That puppy was a key factor in finding Cat. Someone recognized the pup that alerted friends that she was potentially around Indian Nose. That initiated the localized search which is when they started finding other clues such as her jacket and scarf.

Who knows how long it would have taken to find her.

I wonder who is going to end up keeping the pup?

There are a lot of stray cats and dogs that blend into the background so that is not an unusual occurrence but that puppy was a blessing in disguise.

That puppy was a key factor in finding Cat. Someone recognized the pup that alerted friends that she was potentially around Indian Nose. That initiated the localized search which is when they started finding other clues such as her jacket and scarf.

Who knows how long it would have taken to find her.

I wonder who is going to end up keeping the pup?
RBBM. I saw on the Find Catherine FB page one of the searchers went and found the pup. Seems to me she is keeping her. Hopeful that the pup had a happy ending out of this.

RBBM. I saw on the Find Catherine FB page one of the searchers went and found the pup. Seems to me she is keeping her. Hopeful that the pup had a happy ending out of this.

I saw that too, but wondered after the dust settled if the parents, her sister, or maybe Paco would end up taking the dog?

What would the process look like taking an unvaccinated/unregistered animal from Guatemala to the UK?

I saw that too, but wondered after the dust settled if the parents, her sister, or maybe Paco would end up taking the dog?

What would the process look like taking an unvaccinated/unregistered animal from Guatemala to the UK?
Yes I confess I considered that as well. Who knows if they are dog people (hard not to be a puppy person IMO), but they could take her, if they wanted to carry on something that seemed important to Catherine and also to feel a connection to her through the pup. UK would be the most difficult obstacle, I assume. Doubt Guatemala would miss one puppy.

It's just sad that Catherine had her life ended, so early, so young. But she probably saved this puppy's life.

I don't know about the UK but I suspect they are strict bringing dogs into the country. I volunteer with a rescue and my foster pups have to be a least 4 months old to enter the US and have to be current on all vaccines and if I remember correctly rabies has to have been given 15 days before leaving. All documents have to be signed by a vet. Vaccines and the dog's age is enforced, we have had puppies returned to Guatemala that they deemed to young. I would think the UK might even be tougher on dogs coming into the country.

Maybe the British Consulate can help with the puppy, if the family wants to take her. There are also organisations who can help or advice with this kind of thing so the whole process goes smoothly. I'm sure they'd get help if they decide to take her.

Time might be a factor as some (or even all) vaccinations have to be repeated several months apart. Another thing might be that the dog needs to be quarantined for some time before allowed to enter. I don't know if the UK requires quarantine, but some countries do.

But who knows, maybe pup is happy where she is now and the person really loves her, then that's maybe the best solution. The family could sponsor her if they like that. Wait and see. For now, I guess their main concern is to get Cat home and arrange the funeral. They must be in such a shock.

Yes I confess I considered that as well. Who knows if they are dog people (hard not to be a puppy person IMO), but they could take her, if they wanted to carry on something that seemed important to Catherine and also to feel a connection to her through the pup. UK would be the most difficult obstacle, I assume. Doubt Guatemala would miss one puppy.
It's just sad that Catherine had her life ended, so early, so young. But she probably saved this puppy's life.

Yes zecats, far too young! As we all know, this ending could have been very different.

I do have some peace knowing that she was in such a beautiful place, watching a magnificent sunrise, free from all personal objects weighing her down, feeling cleansed and perhaps dancing in the sunlight holding that pup with eyes full of love and light ...

That is what I like to envision after reading about Cat. It is so different from other cases I - We have followed, but tragic nonetheless.

I truly hope for a speedy smooth process for the family. It looks like forces are coming together making everything happen that needs to.

Through tragedy, there are truly beautiful moments, acts of sheer kindness from the love of strangers that leave me in awe.

It restores my faith in humanity ~

I'm sharing my final photo of the Lake. It was a life changing experience and I can't wait to go back. I hope you all have enjoyed.

Lake Atitlan.jpg

There are mixed reports of cod. This is from BBC UK, usually reliable in their reports. ETA Is this just assumption because of the 'traumatic brain injury' though? Hope noone mind me posting the article.

Missing Briton died from 'blow to head'

A woman who went missing in Guatemala died of a blow to the head, a post-mortem examination has found.

Catherine Shaw, 23, from Witney, Oxfordshire, was reported missing after she left Hotel Mayachik near Lake Atitlan on 5 March.

Her body was found between four and six days after her death, the National Institute of Forensic Sciences of Guatemala told local media.

She was found on Monday near the top of the Indian Nose hiking trail.

The Lucie Blackman Trust, which supports British nationals in crisis overseas, said on Tuesday that "foul play was probably not involved".

The preliminary report, released by the institute, said she was found naked, face-down and with visible blows to her body.

Last edited:
There are mixed reports of cod. This is from BBC UK, usually reliable in their reports. ETA Is this just assumption because of the 'traumatic brain injury' though? Hope noone mind me posting the article.

A woman who went missing in Guatemala died of a blow to the head, a post-mortem examination has found.

Catherine Shaw, 23, from Witney, Oxfordshire, was reported missing after she left Hotel Mayachik near Lake Atitlan on 5 March.

Her body was found between four and six days after her death, the National Institute of Forensic Sciences of Guatemala told local media.

The Lucie Blackman Trust, which supports British nationals in crisis overseas, said on Tuesday that "foul play was probably not involved".

The preliminary report, released by the institute, said she was found naked, face-down and with visible blows to her body.

It is a misleading choice of words if not intentional. I wonder if further tests will be able to confirm this as an accident. So to distinguish between a actual blow or an injury received from a fall. Possibly some sign of attempting to hold on etc. (my speculation - I have no idea of this field))

I hope they will be able to confirm as any uncertainly will not help the family or nervous visitors to the area.

Sounds like murder to me. It's what I've thought since the start.

Yes zecats, far too young! As we all know, this ending could have been very different.

I do have some peace knowing that she was in such a beautiful place, watching a magnificent sunrise, free from all personal objects weighing her down, feeling cleansed and perhaps dancing in the sunlight holding that pup with eyes full of love and light ...

That is what I like to envision after reading about Cat. It is so different from other cases I - We have followed, but tragic nonetheless.

I truly hope for a speedy smooth process for the family. It looks like forces are coming together making everything happen that needs to.

Through tragedy, there are truly beautiful moments, acts of sheer kindness from the love of strangers that leave me in awe.

It restores my faith in humanity ~

I'm sharing my final photo of the Lake. It was a life changing experience and I can't wait to go back. I hope you all have enjoyed.

View attachment 173930
Beautiful indeed Bugurl. Thanks for sharing the photos.

I'll add that that's how I picture Catherine as well...dancing barefoot and naked in the early morning sunshine, holding a puppy in her arms, welcoming a warm new day with such a beautiful view. . This would mean she did indeed die doing something she truly loved.

The thing is to check the ground where she was found and possible places of impact on the way down that would have caused the wounds on her body and to her head. If these were inflicted by another person, I don't think would be any trace of blood or skin anywhere on the rocks or ground around her. (Sorry for graphics). Hopefully the body wasn't moved too quickly and evidence (if any) was preserved. JMO

I think it sounds a bit too easily solved. I can’t see her voluntarily Nude in that location.

You see, I totally can! We already know she loved mountains and sunrises, and we know she'd been at a nude festival or something recently. Her family and friends do not seem to be surprised by the theory and I trust their judgement of her. I can well imagine her stripping off as the sun got warm on that rock, sitting there with the puppy looking over the lake as the sky and water changed colour. I think she was weak from not eating for a few days, possibly impaired by drugs, and she's stumbled and fallen. Presumably they'll know from where she was found whether a fall was plausible. I'm going to be really upset if we find her last minutes were spent in terror at the hands of another, I don't want that to be her end.

I think being here desensitises you to death a little with all the horrible stuff we read, but this case feels more personal to me, it's given me the feels as they say. I met lots of Cats when I was travelling (most now tied to jobs and kids and mortgages) and would love to go back to a more carefree life seeing the world.

Maybe the British Consulate can help with the puppy, if the family wants to take her. There are also organisations who can help or advice with this kind of thing so the whole process goes smoothly. I'm sure they'd get help if they decide to take her.

Time might be a factor as some (or even all) vaccinations have to be repeated several months apart. Another thing might be that the dog needs to be quarantined for some time before allowed to enter. I don't know if the UK requires quarantine, but some countries do.

But who knows, maybe pup is happy where she is now and the person really loves her, then that's maybe the best solution. The family could sponsor her if they like that. Wait and see. For now, I guess their main concern is to get Cat home and arrange the funeral. They must be in such a shock.
The British consulate would not entertain anything to do with the puppy whatsoever.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back