Nationwide College Cheating Scandal - Actresses, Business Owners Charged, Mar 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
If your parents hire someone to help you in the college process, you would have no reason to think that what they are telling you is not kosher. You do what you are asked. I work with high schoolers in the college admissions process. They really don't know how it all works. They depend on the professionals, especially if their parents are wealthy and/or educated.

This is utter nonsense. Been there, done that. The kids know what is going on.

Snipped and bolded be me.

Nope.

It is not a universal phenomenon.

From my point of view, it is the opposite of zeal for a child's future to cheat and bribe for them.

I very much care about my child's future, which is why I DON'T cheat and bribe for them. I know that a solid future for my children and any child requires them to stand on their own two feet, and I am very zealous about that.

jmo
You have said perfectly how I feel as a parent and as a university faculty member. This is NOT in these kids' best interests for their development as students or as responsible human beings!

How many get others to take tests for them and still have no clue. Maybe this level of intelligence is why they couldn’t get in?
There’s no way this is the first time mommy and daddy bought their way for them in their lives
A lot of the kids took the test themselves and some of their wrong answers were changed without their knowledge. In some cases they discussed how they didn't want their child to know.

I agree.

Why would anyone accept a high schooler applying to college doesn't understand the process? That is not okay.

If the students truly do not understand the process, that's an indication they are not prepared for college - and certainly are not the so-called "best and brightest" that elite colleges claim they want. If a student at that age doesn't understand the process, that's on the student to figure it out. Come on, folks, we can expect more from high schoolers! They are not babies.

jmo

Not if someone else took the tests and wrote the essays
I haven't read the official government complaint in depth, but from scanning through, it seems to vary how much different children knew. In some cases, they seemed completely involved in the process - demanding, "What are you going to do about that F I got in Art History?"

(From #279 -
"ZANGRILLO’s daughter inquired, in substance, what CW-1 was doing about an “F” grade that she had received in an art history class she had taken."

In other cases, it seems like the parent wanted their kid to show up, take the test so they would feel like they had done it, tell them a few things to not advertise, but mostly keep it on the downlow from their kid.

The McGlashan guy was very worried that his son would start getting letters and brochures from the athletic program and wonder why he would be getting those.

And also in the complaint, another parent said that McGlashan's kid had no idea that he was "helped" on the ACT. So the level of what different kids knew seems to vary.

From the complaint:
from #143
CW-1 Because you don’t need, because when this, the way this, the quieter it, the quieter this is, the better it is, so people don’t say, “Well, okay, this guy, why are all these people calling us? The kid’s already been accepted. He’s coming here as an athlete. He’s already in.” What you just want is, the person you're meeting with on Friday to say, you know, what we want [is]this kid.

McGLASHAN So he doesn’t have to know how he got in. Is that the case?

CW-1 What I would say to him, if you want to have that discussion now with [your son] there, that we have friends in athletics, they are going to help us, because [he] is an athlete, and they’re going to help us. From the--

McGLASHAN But I can’t say that in front of [my son], ’cause he knows he’s not.

148. On or about August 30, 2018, CW-1 received a call from AGUSTIN F. HUNEEUS, whose daughter attended the same high school as McGLASHAN’s son. HUNEEUS asked if “McGLASHAN [is] doing any of this (expletive)? Is he talking a clean game with me and helping his kid or not? ’Cause he makes me feel guilty.” HUNEEUS explained, in substance, that McGLASHAN’s “kid had no idea ... that you helped him on the ACT.”

A lot of the kids took the test themselves and some of their wrong answers were changed without their knowledge. In some cases they discussed how they didn't want their child to know.
I suspect it will be a mixed bag - some students knew and some truly didn't know their parents were cheating/bribing on their behalf. I'm trying to remember this is a big group and each family likely handled it differently. I do think some knew and I'm willing to believe that some didn't. Since the kids aren't charged, we might not ever know that end of it (and I'm sure the parents will do what they can to protect their kids and claim the kids didn't know about the scam).

jmo

How many get others to take tests for them and still have no clue. Maybe this level of intelligence is why they couldn’t get in?
There’s no way this is the first time mommy and daddy bought their way for them in their lives
I believe the scam was that the answers were changed after the tests were taken. Changed by the proctor. In this case the student would not know.

I do agree that the parents probably stepped in before.

I suspect it will be a mixed bag - some students knew and some truly didn't know their parents were cheating/bribing on their behalf. I'm trying to remember this is a big group and each family likely handled it differently. I do think some knew and I'm willing to believe that some didn't. Since the kids aren't charged, we might not ever know that end of it (and I'm sure the parents will do what they can to protect their kids).

jmo

Agree and I hope each of the kids gets a lengthy interrogation by several federal agents. They need the fear of God put into them. I also hope they go back decades with their investigative work.

The indictments and the feds say otherwise about many of these students. They are not being investigated or charged. Do they think their parents and these hired people were working their magic? Probably. But, I don't think it is right to say they are knew. Some maybe.

The indictments and the feds say otherwise about many of these students. They are not being investigated or charged. Do they think their parents and these hired people were working their magic? Probably. But, I don't think it is right to say they are knew. Some maybe.

According to what I've read, this investigation is far from over.

I believe the scam was that the answers were changed after the tests were taken. Changed by the proctor. In this case the student would not know.

I do agree that the parents probably stepped in before.
But wouldn't the students know the test was hard and their score was beyond their abilities? Do they themselves really not know how well they know the material? Do they lack that much self-awareness??

jmo

Thanks, I understand that. But, in the state where I grew up, it wasn't common practice among public school students to take that training for undergrad college admissions testing. For whatever reason, we didn't need it. Our high school counselors told us we didn't need it. We did fine without it, even won academic scholarships without it.

I'm not really sure why that system changed. Interesting.
I graduated HS in 1974. I lived in a tiny town in west Texas, the population was not even 3000 back then. Never had SAT prep classes and the one counselor the HS had never mentioned it. We just all went on to college, marriage, jobs or whatever we were going to do after graduation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam