Found Deceased GUATEMALA - Catherine Shaw, 23, British backpacker, 4 March 2019

The British consulate would not entertain anything to do with the puppy whatsoever.

You're right, normally they won't. But because of the circumstances - a tragic death of a British citizen, high exposure in media and sm - they might be more sympathetic and be there for the family in an advisory role at least. I would hope.

Cat had been fasting for days, didn't sleep the night before, and likely consumed some type of mind altering drugs from what the owner of the hostel has shared via MSM.

She was found 2 miles from the hostel.

Indian Nose is a steep climb. Almost 1.8 miles high, it can take anywhere from about 30 min to 2 hours (varies of course) to hike from the base of San Juan La Laguna to the top.

She left the hostel at around 0530, the sunrise was around 0615. Indian Nose is known for the incredible views of the sunrise which she loves as well as being nude hence being at the nudist festival and various images on her IG expressing that. Temperature ranged that day and the day before from low 61 to high 81 degrees which is typical for that time of year.

Dehydrated and malnourished it is by no means a stretch that she likely passed out.

Indian Nose has large STEEP embankments with no safety guard. Rocks, trees, debris with projections, crevices and all sorts of underbrush cover the steep sides of the mountain.

She may have met foul play on Indian Nose, but it sounds like she fell anywhere from 30 to 600 feet (reports varied) down the mountain likely hitting various protruding objects on the way causing blunt force trauma. The photos circulating are after she had been lying there deceased 4-6 days out in the elements.

A medical examiner will be able determine what objects caused such wounds.

Whether they are able to definitively determine the cause, I presume there will always be rumors about "what really happened to Cat". MOO

Antigua Guatemala March Weather 2019 - AccuWeather Forecast for Sacatepéquez Guatemala

If it were my daughter I would rather know exactly what happened than try to live always questioning and wondering.
Such a tremendous loss for her parents, it will be with them forever. I only hope eventually they will remember her spirit and the happiness she spread - but personally I find little comfort in the saying "time heals".

Currently, the only sources I can find online referrencing Cat's body found facedown in a cavern are The Sun and Daily Mail which I consider tabloids, and something called TheWorldNews, also out of GB.

@Bugurl1747
This is most likely what happened to Cat, I agree. I am still trying to understand where her body was located, though. If it was, indeed, in a cavern, then I will rekindle my suspicions.

I too could change my mind as more evidence is revealed. There are definitely curious circumstances with this case.

The word cavern threw me off too. There are crevices, holes, or large trench like areas that I have seen created by the rain.
The rain washes away any land erosion over the rocks which then forms these crevice like areas.
It creates treacherous like areas on the paths I have talked about and in areas down along the mountain.
These crevices are also on the roads, as a lot of the roads are dirt. There were some anxiety ridden moments driving on the these winding dirt roads up and down the mountain looking down steep cliffs with no safety barrier to reach the lake. :eek:
MOO

Last edited:
Here's a report that says she was found in undergrowth beneath the overlook.

Catherine Shaw: British backpacker died from 'blow to the head'

Her body was discovered unclothed and in a state of decomposition in undergrowth near a mountain overlook.

The British Embassy confirmed that her father, Tarquin Shaw, had identified the body in Guatemala on Tuesday, and said it was working with local authorities and assisting the family.

A cavern is essentially a cave. Perhaps she was found close to a cavern, rather than in. As you pointed out, Bugurl747, about the roads and trails there with potholes, crevices, etc. Too much hasty cut and paste news reporting these days. Undergrowth sounds very likely to me.

The search team who found her might also be able to shed a light on the circumstances surrounding Cat's last moments. Did they see any signs of a struggle at the point where she fell or was pushed over the edge? I hope they had a thorough look around before everyone and their uncle were trampling all over the place.

How did they find her? Did they look over the edge and were able to spot her or did someone climb down and found her then? Or was it a drone that saw her first?

If the blows to her head were from protruding rocks and scratches on her from branches and rocks, a medical examiner should be able to find traces of rock/branches/dust etc in the wounds. If she was beaten up with fists or a blunt object such as a stick, a club or a metal rod etc, the wounds should not only look different but also have different trace elements in them. This kind of examination could be hampered though by her state of advanced decomposition. But a blow on the skull that cracked bone could still be very telling by its shape. jmo

I think forensic experts will be brought in.

I lived in Nicaragua for a couple of years, and newspapers and media there always post graphic photos of the deceased. It's very different than the US, but I almost prefer the blunt reality of it all. We had a truck that drove around the city when someone died announcing their name and playing songs. Wasn't till I started becoming more fluent in Spanish a few weeks after I moved there that I realized what the truck was announcing.

The search team who found her might also be able to shed a light on the circumstances surrounding Cat's last moments. Did they see any signs of a struggle at the point where she fell or was pushed over the edge? I hope they had a thorough look around before everyone and their uncle were trampling all over the place.

How did they find her? Did they look over the edge and were able to spot her or did someone climb down and found her then? Or was it a drone that saw her first?

If the blows to her head were from protruding rocks and scratches on her from branches and rocks, a medical examiner should be able to find traces of rock/branches/dust etc in the wounds. If she was beaten up with fists or a blunt object such as a stick, a club or a metal rod etc, the wounds should not only look different but also have different trace elements in them. This kind of examination could be hampered though by her state of advanced decomposition. But a blow on the skull that cracked bone could still be very telling by its shape. jmo

I think forensic experts will be brought in.
Finding Catherine Shaw
Some photos here and helicopter footage, as well as search team methodology in tracking her down. Some areas below overlook may be regarded as cavern-like, more like ledges with overhangs.

Are there photos of the area where she was found?

Even if they are graphic, I'm curious about the big picture location the of the hostel, the coat, the dress, the puppy and the body. Big picture.

There must be something wrong with this location of her coat in this map:

upload_2019-3-13_19-6-22.png

Ref: Daily Mail a few days ago, linked upthread

Even if they are graphic, I'm curious about the big picture location the of the hostel, the coat, the dress, the puppy and the body. Big picture.

There must be something wrong with this location of her coat in this map:

View attachment 174038

Ref: Daily Mail a few days ago, linked upthread
Possibility: Suppose she began shedding clothing on her way up to the lookout, still carrying the puppy. Jacket was found when? A week (about) later? Easily someone could have picked it up and carried it elsewhere. And then discarded it where it was found. This someone may not have even seen Catherine - only a jacket. JMO

Last edited:
Possibility: Suppose she began shedding clothing on her way up to the lookout, still carrying the puppy. Jacket was found when? A week (about) later? Easily someone could have picked it up and carried it elsewhere. And the discarded it where it was found. This someone may not have even seen Catherine - only a jacket. JMO

I believe two things: her friend said that she would never give away her coat, and that her clothing, including her coat, were found abandoned on the trail to the summit of the volcano. At the summit was a puppy - alive and well 6 days later apparently without food and water ??? indicating that Catherine tripped off the volcano?

Why does the early map indicate that her coat/jacket was no where near her hike?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arsongirlfriend
Back