Found Deceased OR - Maya Sanders, 29, scarf located on Riverwalk, Astoria, 12 Mar 2019 *disabilities, in danger*

cybervampira

Reaction score
Astoria Police Department

******** STILL MISSING **********
****** AS OF 03-13 AT 1AM ******
***** UPDATE AS OF 5AM *****

** Missing/Endangered Female on the Astoria Riverwalk. ** PLEASE SHARE ASAP. A20190834

Around 4pm today Maya Sanders's mother called and reported her missing. Maya was last seen in the downtown area at noon. We have located some of Maya's property at 6th St. and a scarf was later located near the Comfort Suites on the Riverwalk. She may be walking eastbound towards where she resides in the Burnside area.

We are aware that Maya suffers from disabilities that may put her at higher risk if not located. She is not dressed for the weather, and does not have her cell phone.

Emergency personel and her family members are currently out looking for her. If anyone has seen Maya today AFTER 1:00 PM and can give us a time and direction of travel, we would appreciate it. Please call dispatch at (503)325-4411.

Her last sighting was at about 1:30PM crossing Marine Dr. at 16th St. We only need sighting info AFTER that time.

Maya was last seen wearing a long shirt that was black, white, and green in color. She had on pink shoes. She is a 29 year old female who is about 5'9" weighing about 130 lbs.

upload_2019-3-13_18-47-2.png

Missing woman, 29, last seen in Astoria, may be in danger, police say

This article is reporting a later sighting of Maya:

Svensen woman reported missing near Astoria Riverwalk

[...]

Police believe the woman may be traveling east, as she was last seen near North Tongue Point around 3:30 p.m., Deputy Chief Eric Halverson said.

[...]

Police are working with the Clatsop County Sheriff Office’s search and rescue team to find Sanders.

I pray this is not Maya. :(

Body found in Columbia County - Portland news - NewsLocker
A body was found in Columbia County on Wednesday afternoon.

The Columbia County Sheriff’s Office said shortly after noon they received a report about a female’s body on the side of Neer City Road in Rainier. Deputies said they have a tentatively identified the body but are in the process of notifying family members.

16th and Marine Dr, Astoria to Neer City Road, Rainier: Google Maps

I pray this is not Maya. :(

Body found in Columbia County - Portland news - NewsLocker
A body was found in Columbia County on Wednesday afternoon.

The Columbia County Sheriff’s Office said shortly after noon they received a report about a female’s body on the side of Neer City Road in Rainier. Deputies said they have a tentatively identified the body but are in the process of notifying family members.

16th and Marine Dr, Astoria to Neer City Road, Rainier: Google Maps
I grew up in that area and have driven from Rainier to the coast hundreds of times over my lifetime. (Dad still lives there). Rainier is typically an hour and a half drive from Astoria (much of it is two-lane highway and there are a lot of log trucks that are somewhat slow going up hills and can hold up your speed). She was on foot. It's possible she hitchhiked, but I think someone would have reported seeing her doing that once her missing pictures went up. It was reported that the body found in Rainier had no obvious injuries and there was "no public safety issue" so I'm guessing it was an overdose. Death investigation underway after woman's body found along road in rural Columbia Co.

Last edited:
There is of course the riverfront. Could she have ended up in the water? I hate to wonder that, but it's right there in plain view.

In the town where I live and work, there's a sweet young man who has Asperger's. He has a job at McDonald's but is unable to drive himself, so he is driven to his job by his mother or his grandmother. He's mostly a responsible young man, but he has his moments of getting swept up in what his friends are doing. Or because he gets frustrated with his life and wants some excitement. I was curious whether Maya was also not allowed to have a driver's license? Did she commonly walk everywhere and people knew her by sight because of her unique, personal style (she looks like a charming young lady) and because they saw her walking nearly every day? Could she have been offered a ride by someone? Someone she'd met before, but either intended her harm or had a romantic interest in her? I noticed on GOOGLE Street View that several of the downtown businesses are in older buildings that have second story apartments. Could someone have seen her and lured her inside? Could she be spending several days with this person, unaware that everyone is looking for her? I truly hope she comes home soon, safe and sound.

I grew up in that area and have driven from Rainier to the coast hundreds of times over my lifetime. (Dad still lives there). Rainier is typically an hour and a half drive from Astoria (much of it is two-lane highway and there are a lot of log trucks that are somewhat slow going up hills and can hold up your speed). She was on foot. It's possible she hitchhiked, but I think someone would have reported seeing her doing that once her missing pictures went up. It was reported that the body found in Rainier had no obvious injuries and there was "no public safety issue" so I'm guessing it was an overdose. Death investigation underway after woman's body found along road in rural Columbia Co.
We could possibly know each other, lol. :)

The article I posted has been updated now. Prayers for her family and loved ones. Rest peacefully, Sarah. :(

"The woman whose body was found in Columbia County on Wednesday afternoon has been identified as 18-year-old Sarah Elizabeth Zuber, of Rainier."
Aw geez, I also hope it isn’t her.
21 hour drive to get to where the body was found. Do the rivers flow that fast? Or in that direction?
It's not her. See above.

This article is dated today (3/14/19) and talks about.....
"Investigators reviewed surveillance from several cameras in the area. The footage indicated that Sander was alone in the area. Footage revealed that she entered onto a pier walking north out of the camera frame. She is not seen returning to shore on the video after she entered the pier."

"A search and rescue dog was also deployed in the area and ended up tracking to the same location Sanders was last seen on video. The dog continued to the end of the pier and stopped. “Based on this information there is a strong probability that she went into the water”, said Deputy Police Chief Eric Halverson."

Search Continues For Missing Local Woman

"Investigators reviewed surveillance from several cameras in the area. The footage indicated that Sander was alone in the area. Footage revealed that she entered onto a pier walking north out of the camera frame. She is not seen returning to shore on the video after she entered the pier."

"A search and rescue dog was also deployed in the area and ended up tracking to the same location Sanders was last seen on video. The dog continued to the end of the pier and stopped. “Based on this information there is a strong probability that she went into the water”, said Deputy Police Chief Eric Halverson."

Oh no. That doesn't sound good at all. :(

Also from the article:

Clatsop County Sheriff’s Search and Rescue was assisted in the area by a professional drone pilot whose equipment has heat-seeking capabilities. The aerial survey revealed no clues for the Search and Rescue team to act upon.

Clatsop County Search and Rescue’s dive team was requested to dive the area, commencing dive operations late yesterday afternoon and concluding around 7:00 PM without locating her.

The Clatsop County Search and Rescue Team was out again Thursday morning conducting further search efforts. The Clatsop County Dive Team will have equipment in the area conducting sonar searches. “We want to be open to all possibilities and ensure we’ve done all we can to locate Maya," said Halverson.

MOO

To cold for a boat?

I notice on her FB that she started a job in early august, then posted a message in early september where she says she enjoys being part of a team, but on the 30th (still september) she left that job. I wonder if things didn't work out even though she had a positive impression. Speaking from experience, as an aspie myself, that it can wreck your self esteem, to think you're doing well and that you found a position of respect in society, then to lose it.

It happened to me a year ago and in hindsight I went through a depression in the months after.

And the fun thing about being on the spectrum is those kinds of hurt stay fresh a long time. Long reach here and maybe it has nothing to do with her going missing, but that struck a chord. It made me think that if the job loss came out of left field for her then she might still be hurting.

EDIT: Seriously, it strikes me how many things I have in common with Maya. I really hope she's okay and comes home, or at least be heard from. She comes across as a beautiful, creative person.

Last edited:

That is not good news. The current on that part of the river is VERY strong. Saying a prayer for the safety of the dive team and Maya's family.

Sneaker wave?
I grew up in the area. Sneaker waves occur on the beaches of very large bodies of water such as the ocean, NOT on rivers. Attached is what the shoreline looks like from a local hotel very close to where she went missing. The only way to get into the water is to go to a pier and jump off.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 50

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members