WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron,Media, Maps and Timelines *NO DISCUSSION*

FEB 18, 2019
Jayme Closs kidnapper pens letter from jail showing sick obsession with teen | Daily Mail Online
Jayme Closs' kidnapper revealed his sick obsession with the teenager in a letter written from jail.

Jake Patterson, 21, declared his love for the 13-year-old in the letter that was adorned with hearts.

'My brother… got a puppy named "Vale" a couple of weeks before [heart] Jayme [heart] ran away,' he wrote to a friend, according to Radar Online.

'I love Mexican food too, but I like lots of stuff. Chocolate and berries are probably my favorite. Me and Jayme cooked a bunch of stuff. Cooking is another thing I like doing a lot,' he added.

In the letter, Patterson didn't show any remorse for his crimes.

'I went from never committing a crime or really doing anything bad to doing the worst thing a human can do. Just one big up ha ha,' he wrote.

FEB 18, 2019
Letter posted online reportedly written by suspect in Closs kidnapping
Radar Online claims the letter was written by 21-year-old Jake Patterson, the suspect in the Jayme Closs case.

Patterson is currently in custody in the Polk County Jail. The communication was handwritten in pencil and dated 2019. There is a cross drawn at the bottom of the paper and Patterson's name scrawled on the envelope. The return address is blacked out. The online post does not share who or where the letter was mailed to. It appears to be a response to mail Patterson received in his cell.

Barron County Sheriff Chris Fitzgerald confirmed investigators are looking into the source of the message. When asked why a murder and kidnapping suspect might be allowed to communicate with anyone outside of jail, Fitzgerald replied inmates have the legal right to send and receive mail every day.

Jayme's relatives and legal guardian said they are doing their best to shield her from things like this. In fact, every single card or gift of support sent in her name to the local post office is screened.

Fitzgerald said investigators are checking to see if the letter violates any conditions of Patterson's bond.

FEB 19, 2019
Barron sheriff: Investigators looking into purported letter from Jake Patterson
Barron County Sheriff Chris Fitzgerald said the letter "appears" to be from Patterson, but he couldn't say with certainty when contacted by a reporter Tuesday. He said investigators are working to ensure the letter didn't violate Patterson's bond, which prohibits him from contacting Jayme or the Douglas County residents who helped her following her escape last month.

As long as it's not a bond violation, Patterson has the legal right to write whoever he wants, Fitzgerald said.

“He can send you a letter all day long," he said. "Nothing I can do about it.”

Fitzgerald said investigators believe the letter was mailed to an out-of-state address. Polk County Sheriff Brent Waak declined to comment.

FEB 20, 2019
New rules in effect for March Patterson court arraignment
In a seven-page statement issued Tuesday, Feb. 19, 2019, Babler said people who attend future court hearings must abide by the following rules:

• Anyone entering the courtroom will be searched for weapons, except for staff and on-duty police. No handbags, backpacks, carry-ins or coats will be allowed. Cell phones must be powered off and stowed out of sight. Only designated media will be allowed to use laptops, but reporters are forbidden to record or stream audio or video of the proceedings.

• The back row on each side of the courtroom will be reserved for media. In the past, this rule has allowed no more than 12 journalists (sitting close together). A live video feed will be offered to media members unable to witness the hearings in person.

• No more than 48 people will be admitted to the bench seats in the courtroom. Spectators won’t be allowed to “wear clothing or display signs or any other items expressing sympathy or support for either the defendant or victim.”

• The Sheriff’s Department will take over regulating media parking. There will be reserved spaces for trucks and vans as space allows.

• As was the case in previous hearings, only Minnesota-based KSTP-TV will be allowed to take video, which will be shared with other media. Two still cameras will be allowed in the courtroom, but the shutters must be silent and flash is prohibited.

FEB 28, 2019
Jake Patterson: Experts say insanity defense would be tough sell in Jayme Closs kidnapping
Convincing a jury that Patterson was suffering from a mental disease or defect at the time the crimes occurred would be a tough sell, criminal experts say.

“This crime is so despicable (that) it’s almost impossible for an insanity defense to work here,” said Jack Levin, a longtime criminologist and a professor emeritus at Northeastern University in Boston and co-director of the university's Brudnick Center on Violence and Conflict.

Levin said Patterson’s confession in the Jayme Closs abduction case, if true, showed that he went to great lengths to plan and carry out the crimes, which runs contrary to the belief that he was an out-of-control offender. Holding a hostage for three months while eluding police "are not character traits of criminals who are out of touch with reality.”

MAR 1, 2019
Legal Experts: Jake Patterson Is ‘As Close to 100 Percent Screwed’ as a Person Can Be Without Pleading Guilty
[...]

Based on the available information about the case, it seems circumstances are stacked against Patterson in every possible way. Then again, an arraignment is set for March 27, and a lot can change in the discovery process. With all of that in mind, we asked our legal experts if Patterson was completely screwed or if he had some leverage in this case.

Short answer: He’s screwed.

“To answer your question, Patterson is as close to 100 percent screwed as a defendant can be without actually pleading guilty,” said Aaron Keller, host of The Daily Debrief on the Law&Crime Network.

[...]

What about a plea deal? Rendelman said that’s an option: Patterson’s attorneys would have to show he is taking full responsibility. Keller suggested that while the defendant has yet to enter a plea, the lawyers would likely be telling him behind the scenes that the case is pretty much “impossible.”

Perhaps the defense could seek a plea deal. It doesn’t mean that’s going to be successful either, however. Barron County authorities would need to accept it.

The defense “will have to try to convince the prosecutors to give him some sort of deal to spare the public and court and prosecutors a trial,” said Bianchi. “It will be a very hard argument.”

Bianchi, the former lead prosecutor out of Morris County, New Jersey, told Law&Crime that he would have “no mercy” in a case like this, due to the nature of the crime and the strong evidence against Patterson. He wouldn’t be willing to offer a lesser punishment.

MAR 6, 2019
Elizabeth Smart set to speak in Barron County on Jayme Closs rescue
Kidnapping victim Elizabeth Smart is scheduled to speak in northwestern Wisconsin next week to help the region cope with a high-profile double homicide-kidnapping.

Smart told The Associated Press in January that Jayme will struggle to regain a sense of normalcy.

Elizabeth Smart to host town hall in Jayme Closs' hometown
Elizabeth Smart will host a town hall discussion at Barron Area Community Center Friday, March 15 to talk about her experience and how the community can heal and move forward.

Smart shares some of Closs' tragic experience. At the age of 14, Smart was abducted from her Salt Lake City bedroom at knife point by a man in 2002. She was rescued by police nine months later. Both of her captors were caught.

Elizabeth Smart will visit the hometown of Jayme Closs
Kidnap survivor Elizabeth Smart, who has been vocal in her support of Jayme Closs, is coming to Jayme's hometown for a public event next Friday.

According to the Barron County Sheriff's Department, Elizabeth Smart will be in Barron for an event called "Moving Forward with Elizabeth Smart". The event is scheduled for 6:30pm-7:30pm on March 15 at the Barron Area Community Center.

Elizabeth Smart to hold town hall in Barron as community grapples with Jayme Closs case
Smart is now a child safety advocate and author, and is married with two children.

Doors open at 6 p.m. for Smart's town hall. The event is free and open to the public.

MAR 7, 2019
Elizabeth Smart set to speak in Barron as area copes with Jayme Closs case
"The sheriff declined to say whether Jayme would attend or whether Smart will meet with her, saying he will never comment on Jayme's movements.

Smart will focus on her own experiences and how her community moved past her kidnapping but won't discuss Jayme's abduction, Fitzgerald said."

'I can’t believe I did this' | Accused Jayme Closs kidnapper writes letter from jail

MINNEAPOLIS — The letter arrived in a simple white envelope and featured small handwritten addresses. Two red stamps appeared on the front and back of the envelope to indicate this letter was sent from the Polk County jail. The recipient is KARE 11 reporter, Lou Raguse. The name of the sender is Jake Patterson.

The letter itself is a torn portion of a sheet of paper. The writing is small and disjointed. Abbreviations like IDK are used in a conversational, text-like tone. The letter appears to be folded like a paper airplane and begins with, "Hi, IDK if I'll actually send this."

Jake Patterson is jailed while awaiting trial in Barron County on charges of kidnapping Jayme Closs and murdering her parents. In the letter, the man accused of kidnapping Jayme Closs says he plans to plead guilty and says he doesn’t want her family to worry about a trial. He writes that he never returned to Barron after the kidnapping, and that he only followed the news of Jayme’s disappearance through news updates on his phone. When asked when he realized he was capable of doing something like this, he replied, “This was mostly on impulse. I don’t think like a serial killer.”

Transcript of JP letter to Journalist at link above.

MAR 7, 2019
Jayme Closs' accused kidnapper writes letter to tv station: 'The reason I did this is complicated'
The man accused of kidnapping Wisconsin teenager Jayme Closs and holding her for nearly three months has apologized to Jayme in a letter he wrote to a NBC-affiliate station. Jake Patterson, 21, also indicated in his letter that he planned to plead guilty.

[...]

He wrote that he provided police as much detail as he did "so they didn’t have to interview Jayme. They did anyways and hurt her more for no reason."

[...]

Though Patterson said he intends to enter a guilty plea at his next court appearance, he has not yet been convicted of the charges against him. He wrote that he doesn't want Jayme or her family "to worry about a trial."

His arraignment date is set for March 27.

"The reason I did this is complicated," Patterson wrote. "No one will believe or can even imagine how sorry I am for hurting Jayme this much. Can’t express it."

Patterson wrote on the back of his letter, "I’m Sorry Jayme! For everything. I know it doesn’t mean much.

MAR 8, 2019
Jayme Closs’ Alleged Kidnapper Reportedly Says He Acted 'on Impulse': It's 'Complicated'
The man accused of kidnapping Wisconsin teen Jayme Closs after murdering her parents reportedly wrote in a letter to a news station that he “acted on impulse,” adding that he plans to plead guilty to the charges against him.

[...]

The criminal complaint against Patterson alleges he planned the kidnapping in advance and had made two prior attempts to kidnap her after spotting her getting on a school bus.

But the letter writer disputed the allegation of premeditation, writing, “The cops say I planned this thoroughly, and that I said that. They’re really good at twisting your words around, put them in different spots, straight up lie. Little mad about that. Trying to cover up their mistakes I guess.”

He added, “This was mostly on impulse. I don’t think like a serial killer.”

He wrote he has “huge amounts” of remorse. “No one will believe or can even imagine how sorry I am for hurting Jayme this much,” the letter reads. “Can’t express it.”

OH BOY. In my local area I just saw an upcoming nightly news that JP called CBS and talked with them and what he says about his confession. He is becoming a Chatty Cathy. I don't think we have ever heard him talk... This came up on my local CBS but I assume it will be all CBS.

MAR 15, 2019
Elizabeth Smart Speaking In Barron About Jayme Closs Abduction
Barron County Sheriff Chris Fitzgerald said Smart's town hall in Barron is aimed at helping the community heal and move forward.

"She’s going to be talking about the notoriety that she received and how she wished the community would have responded to her," said Fitzgerald.

He said Smart will also be talking about the role of parents in supporting children that have become victims of assault.

"She has three kids of her own and she’s going to talk to her kids about her situation and she’s going to talk to her parents about how to tell your kids you love them unconditionally no matter what happens to them," said Fitzgerald. "Because she went through some thoughts of, 'Bad things happened to me. Will anyone love me again?'"

Fitzgerald said at TV crew from the cable network Lifetime will join Smart in Barron. Lifetime is working on a special that will include Jayme's kidnapping case. A publicist with Lifetime parent company A&E confirmed Smart’s town hall was organized by Lifetime as part of a yet-to-be-announced TV special. While local media are allowed to film the first five minutes of the presentation the network isn’t allowing interviews with participants or anyone from the production crew, according to the email from Lifetime.

MAR 15, 2019
Elizabeth Smart To Hold Town Hall Friday In Jayme Closs’ Hometown
The meeting is to help the people of Barron, Wisconsin, cope with the recent kidnapping. It’s slated for 6 p.m. in the Barron High School gym. The event is free to attend.

Elizabeth Smart to speak to Jayme Closs' neighbors in wake of kidnapping
Some of Jayme's relatives are expected to attend Friday night's free event at the high school gym in Barron, the town's county sheriff, Chris Fitzgerald, told ABC News Friday morning.

Smart, 31, is expected to share her own story and discuss ways the Barron community can move forward, including how to talk to children about this kind of traumatic event and what neighbors should say to Jayme and her family, the sheriff said.

"We're very honored to have her here," Fitzgerald said.

Thanks, chili. :) From the article:

On Friday, the man accused of committing the killings and subsequent kidnapping reached out to WCCO reporter Jennifer Mayerle.
[...]
On Friday, Mayerle received a call on her cell phone, on the number she gave Patterson. During that call, Patterson answered “of course” when Mayerle asked if he has regrets about what happened. But he wasn’t able to elaborate why.
[...]
When Mayerle asked why he confessed after he was arrested, Patterson said, “Part of me like really knows I shouldn’t be ****ing talking to you. But, uh, like, I just didn’t want to cause any more trouble.”

It was hard for Mayerle to hear Patterson during most of their nine-minute conversation. He was quiet for a good portion of it. He did tell her about some of what happened inside his Gordon, Wisconsin home while Jayme Closs was being held there.

“We were just like watching TV, playing board games, talking about stuff. We cooked a lot, everything we made was homemade, you know,” Patterson said.

Thanks, chili. :) From the article:

On Friday, the man accused of committing the killings and subsequent kidnapping reached out to WCCO reporter Jennifer Mayerle.
[...]
On Friday, Mayerle received a call on her cell phone, on the number she gave Patterson. During that call, Patterson answered “of course” when Mayerle asked if he has regrets about what happened. But he wasn’t able to elaborate why.
[...]
When Mayerle asked why he confessed after he was arrested, Patterson said, “Part of me like really knows I shouldn’t be ****ing talking to you. But, uh, like, I just didn’t want to cause any more trouble.”

It was hard for Mayerle to hear Patterson during most of their nine-minute conversation. He was quiet for a good portion of it. He did tell her about some of what happened inside his Gordon, Wisconsin home while Jayme Closs was being held there.

“We were just like watching TV, playing board games, talking about stuff. We cooked a lot, everything we made was homemade, you know,” Patterson said.

There is a video as well and the reporter says he said he would really like to talk to Jayme again but knows he can't (paraphrasing). It is also right now about to come on again, at least here in my area.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cellophane
Back