MI MI - Brian Grocki, 14, Trenton, 1990

Moonwalker9

Reaction score
Brian Grocki – The Charley Project
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Brian Grocki
  • brian_grocki_1.jpg
Brian, circa 1990

• Missing Since10/16/1990
  • Missing FromTrenton, Michigan
  • ClassificationEndangered Missing
  • Date of Birth11/17/1975 (43)
  • Age14 years old
  • Height and Weight5'6, 125 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry DescriptionA jacket, a quilted plaid shirt, blue jeans and white sneakers.
  • Medical ConditionsBrian has been diagnosed with a developmental disability related to eye-hand coordination.
  • Distinguishing CharacteristicsCaucasian male. Blond hair, green eyes. Brian has a two-inch scar on his chin underneath his lip, a scar on his right wrist and a burn scar on his right leg. His right leg was broken when he was a toddler.
Details of Disappearance
Brian was last seen in Trenton, Michigan on October 16, 1990. He has never been heard from again.

Brian's friend at first claimed Brian left his residence between midnight and 1:00 a.m. to go home. The friend later changed his story and said he and Brian had planned to run away together. Brian's parents don't believe he left of his own accord, however; they stated he wasn't having any problems at home and left behind all his belongings, including his backpack.

Foul play is suspected in Brian's case. Authorities have several persons of interest in his case, including some people who were close to his own age in 1990 and are now grown. His mother describes him as a gentle, quiet and intelligent person who enjoyed games and playing with computers. His disappearance remains unsolved.

Looks like some boys his own age knows more then they are telling. Hopefully by time someone will tell the truth.

First time hearing of this case was today. I'm 1 year older and he disappeared on my birthday. I know exactly what I was doing when I was 16 but at 15 I'm having a hard time remembering. 1990... I do remember I hitchhiked to Florida for vacation and I can't believe I'm still alive. Times are so different back then and memories fade. I'm sure it didn't fade for the boys involved because of the impact. If they did have something to do with it ... just a thought though if he was sneaking out and possibly got hit by a car and then they took the body with them ... just breaks my heart I have a 14 year old now and the hormone monster visits often! Not easy years for most boys. JMO lived about 15 minutes soouth of there back then.

Sorry for not being up to date with the terminology here, but what is an FOIA?

"Police have considered a number of possible suspects, including an older man with graying hair. One of Grocki's friends said the man roughhoused with the boys behind Trenton City Hall and referred to Grocki as "son" and once said "I could kill you" after one wrestling incident, according to the report.

"Police even said that some of the children they interviewed, now grown into adults, had become 'persons of interest' because of the development of active criminal backgrounds."

View attachment 174681

Hmmm, I think I lean more towards "some of the children they interviewed," given their apparently escalating criminal behavior, but also the fact that one of them changed his story close to when the disappearance occurred. I don't put as much weight on the "wrestling story" since, after all, it comes from one of the "friends"—but of course, it can't be ruled out either.

There's also an age-progressed rendition of Brian available on missingkids.org.

I used to babysit Brian as well as his other 2 brothers and stumbled across this because I lost communication with his family around 40 years ago. I was actually shocked when I seen this yesterday. It really bothers me because even if boys his age were involved they had to have help from older people for them not to have found him. My heart goes out to his mother and family. another thing that bothers me is even if he did leave the boys house in between midnight and 1 am being a mother my question would be is why was he out at that time of the night? At that time of night I would not have allowed my child to walk home or have a child leave my home. there is just so many unanswered questions still lingering and just thinking back when I would babysit really brings tears to my eyes that this has happened and what is worse is I was so involved with my own childrens lives that I did not even know this happened.

I used to babysit Brian as well as his other 2 brothers and stumbled across this because I lost communication with his family around 40 years ago. I was actually shocked when I seen this yesterday. It really bothers me because even if boys his age were involved they had to have help from older people for them not to have found him. My heart goes out to his mother and family. another thing that bothers me is even if he did leave the boys house in between midnight and 1 am being a mother my question would be is why was he out at that time of the night? At that time of night I would not have allowed my child to walk home or have a child leave my home. there is just so many unanswered questions still lingering and just thinking back when I would babysit really brings tears to my eyes that this has happened and what is worse is I was so involved with my own childrens lives that I did not even know this happened.

First, welcome to Websleuths! I am so sorry that you had to find out about Brian this way. I can't imagine what it must be like to want to reach out to someone after so many years, only to find out something like this.

Is there anything you can tell us about Brian? Habits or interests? Or about his friends, if you knew them? What were they like or into? Any recollection, no matter how small, might help shed some light on this truly confusing case.

I've always wondered, too, about the fact that at 14, he was allowed to be out at midnight (bolded by me above). In the 90s there was more awareness about predators and kidnappings. I was almost 9 years old when he disappeared, and I remember being told not to talk to strangers. Unsolved Mysteries and America's Most Wanted were out, and those pretty much laid out how the world could be.

What do you remember about his parents? His town? Maybe they felt their community was safer? Maybe they were more carefree?

Thanks in advance, and again, I'm so sorry you had to learn of his disappearance like this.

First, welcome to Websleuths! I am so sorry that you had to find out about Brian this way. I can't imagine what it must be like to want to reach out to someone after so many years, only to find out something like this.

Is there anything you can tell us about Brian? Habits or interests? Or about his friends, if you knew them? What were they like or into? Any recollection, no matter how small, might help shed some light on this truly confusing case.

I've always wondered, too, about the fact that at 14, he was allowed to be out at midnight (bolded by me above). In the 90s there was more awareness about predators and kidnappings. I was almost 9 years old when he disappeared, and I remember being told not to talk to strangers. Unsolved Mysteries and America's Most Wanted were out, and those pretty much laid out how the world could be.

What do you remember about his parents? His town? Maybe they felt their community was safer? Maybe they were more carefree?

Thanks in advance, and again, I'm so sorry you had to learn of his disappearance like this.
Thank you; Back when I babysat Brian and his brothers I was in my teens and Brian was very young. I believe the oldest he was the last time I watched him was 5. He was a normal child outside his eye disorder which he had surgery on. When I started watching him and his older brother I lived 2 houses away from them in Wyandotte. I would babysit them when his father would play baseball. I did not really know his father. he kept to himself and did not talk much at all. His mother was a good mother and watched over them well as well as kept house. This is why I find it strange that she would have even let him walk home at that time of night if she would have known. I am sure she would have taught the boys to watch out for strangers. To be honest if this happened in Trenton in the 90's we all knew that none of them communities were safe. my youngest was a year old when this happened and I certainly would not have allowed any of my children out like that however he was much older than my children too. my oldest was only 8 at the time of his disappearance. What his parents and family were like or what he liked to do at that time I have no idea as I said I lost track of them.

I just looked it up and the day that he disappeared was a Tuesday. The woman I knew as his mother would have never allowed him to be out so late on a school night for sure. he would have been home. Maybe not in bed but definitely at home. Unless his mother changed drastically this is another thing that is hard to believe.

I just looked it up and the day that he disappeared was a Tuesday. The woman I knew as his mother would have never allowed him to be out so late on a school night for sure. he would have been home. Maybe not in bed but definitely at home. Unless his mother changed drastically this is another thing that is hard to believe.

Yeah I noticed that too! It would've been a school night, right? The day before would've been Columbus Day—though I don't know how that would've been observed in Michigan in 1990. That would explain why he was out, but not why he was out so late since he had school the next day.

I'm wondering if he told his mom he wanted to sleep over at his friend's house. The police don't seem to think too highly of his friends, so maybe he saw something that night that made him change his mind and want to leave at that hour? But then again, I'm sure his parents would've mentioned a sleepover. Ugh, so confusing!

Yeah I noticed that too! It would've been a school night, right? The day before would've been Columbus Day—though I don't know how that would've been observed in Michigan in 1990. That would explain why he was out, but not why he was out so late since he had school the next day.

I'm wondering if he told his mom he wanted to sleep over at his friend's house. The police don't seem to think too highly of his friends, so maybe he saw something that night that made him change his mind and want to leave at that hour? But then again, I'm sure his parents would've mentioned a sleepover. Ugh, so confusing!
In Michigan even if it was Columbus day the day before he would have definitely had school the next day. As I said so many question are unanswered. I would have to say that if he saw something that is possible that he would have left but then it comes back to why was he even there on a school night? it also comes down to if one of these boys or both these boys did something to him who helped them with the disappearance since he has not been seen since. boys that age don't have the smarts to make anything disappear that good for nearly 30 years. so there is accomplices somewhere that I feel are adult age.

Can someone help me with this question. If he disappeared in Trenton why is this with the Huron Township police? maybe it was said and I missed it. thanks

Can someone help me with this question. If he disappeared in Trenton why is this with the Huron Township police? maybe it was said and I missed it. thanks

He could have been last seen in Huron Township. He could live in Huron Twp with a Trenton mailing address.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back