New Zealand - Christchurch Mosque shooting, dead & injured reported, 15 March 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
27m ago 00:20

Police commission Mike Bush is speaking now.

24m ago 00:24

He has praised the work of everyone, from local authorities to St John Ambulance staff and, in particular, imams for their help in dealing with the aftermath.

20m ago 00:28

Police commissioner Mike Bush: “I have no intel about a current imminent threat but I would never assume anything in this situation.

We are not searching for anyone posing a threat but that doesn’t mean that they don’t exist.

I reach out to the public again to say that if you see something, say something.”

15m ago 00:33

Bush has gone through the four people arrested. He said one person was released quite early - “a member of the public who just wanted to get their kids home, but decided to take a firearm”.

He said there was another couple arrested at a cordon, “and we are currently working through whether or not that person or those persons had any involvement in this incident”.

14m ago 00:35

The car the main suspect was in had a device and the army was brought in to render that device safe.

11m ago 00:38

The police apprehended the main suspect 36 minutes after they received the first call.

New Zealand shooting: suspect appears in court – latest updates

2m ago 00:52

Summary
  • A 28-year-old man, Brenton Tarrant, has appeared in court in Christchurch charged with murder following the attack on two mosques yesterday in which 49 people have died. New Zealand police say more charges are likely to be laid. No application for bail was made and he is due to appear in court again on 5 April.
  • The city has united in grief, with floral tributes being laid at mosques across the country, including at the botanic gardens close to the sites of both attacks. Religious leaders and charitable organisations have flocked to the area to offer support.
  • Prime minister Jacinda Ardern has said the nation’s gun laws will change after it emerged the suspect had a firearms licence. She said he began legally stockpiling weapons in 2017 and had two semi-automatic weapons and two shotguns.
  • Two boys, aged two and 13, are among the 36 injured being treated at Christchurch hospital, with 12 operating theatres working through the night. Most of the injured will need multiple operations, said chief of surgery Greg Robertson. Four for the 49 people who were killed died on the way to hospital.
  • A heightened police presence is visible across the country, including at mosques and public events, and the public have been urged to remain vigilant. Commissioner Mike Bush said: “We are not searching for anyone posing a threat but that doesn’t mean that they don’t exist.” The main suspect, one of four who were initially arrested, was taken into custody 36 minutes after the first emergency calls came in.
  • Leaders from around the world, including the Queen as head of state, have offered their condolences to those affected. Donald Trump offered sympathy and comfort during a call to Ardern but has separately said white nationalism is “not really” a growing threat when asked about the issue in light of Friday’s shooting.
New Zealand shooting: suspect appears in court – latest updates

Had this happened in the US, LE would probably have taken this monster out if they had the chance. Many sentences re terrorist offences have changed over the last few years. I saw this on Wikipedia:

'The longest minimum period of imprisonment on a sentence of life imprisonment is 30 years, currently being served by William Dwane Bell. No person in New Zealand has yet been sentenced to life imprisonment without the possibility of parole'.

If this is still the case, it definitely needs to change. In Oz there are a number of people who have had their papers marked "never to be released". NZ needs to do the same. I hope @mrjitty can weigh in on this.

Christchurch Hospital was secondary target, official says.

David Meates, executive of the Canterbury district health board, thanked police for their rapid response to the Christchurch Hospital when it became a secondary target in the terrorist attack.

"Like to acknowledge the way the police moved rapidly to protect staff and patients when the hospital became a secondary target," Meates said at a news conference at the hospital.

New Zealand terror attack at mosques in Christchurch: Live updates - CNN

OMG. No words.

I actually was wondering about that earlier. Who in the world would be the first person to share that video beyond the the evil monster who filmed it?
Perhaps people who thought it was fake and they were just sharing play acting? I took a peek at 8chan, the posts I read seem to think it's fake. I didn't look much, those people are nutty. There were long lists of videos, but I was scared to click on them. I don't want to see innocent people being murdered.

New Zealanders leave messages of love for victims

In the streets around the Al Noor mosque, where at least 41 people died, New Zealanders have left flowers and messages of support for the victims and their families.

"We all are one, we all are with you," one heart-shaped card said.

"This is not New Zealand," another large message read.

NZ1.jpg NZ2.jpg

muslim daily‏ @BirdsOfJannah
2h2 hours ago
The world should know his name. This is Naeem Rashid. He can be seen in the video charging at the terrorist as he tries to overpower him until he gets shot and goes down. He died as a Martyr today along with his son in #Christchurch.

muslim daily‏ @BirdsOfJannah 1h1 hour ago
His name is Waseem Al Sati

It would seem that the name in the first tweet was incorrect.

I watched the video. I saw that. He runs at him and tries to tackle him in the mid-section. He fails, falls and was shot. He tried hard to stop what followed.

Had this happened in the US, LE would probably have taken this monster out if they had the chance. Many sentences re terrorist offences have changed over the last few years. I saw this on Wikipedia:

'The longest minimum period of imprisonment on a sentence of life imprisonment is 30 years, currently being served by William Dwane Bell. No person in New Zealand has yet been sentenced to life imprisonment without the possibility of parole'.

If this is still the case, it definitely needs to change. In Oz there are a number of people who have had their papers marked "never to be released". NZ needs to do the same. I hope @mrjitty can weigh in on this.

Well seeing as how he has done 49 murders I think he is in a class of his own.

E.g he could get 49 life sentences

He will never get out IMO

This guy is an evil monster and a copycat of AB from Norway.

How can he think that murdering innocent people attending a religious service would further or justify his so-called "cause"?

IMHO this spree had nothing to do with a cause and everything to do with a narcissistic psychopath on a killing spree.

This is just horrific and I fear the repercussions from this monster's actions.

He's loving that he's news headlines around the world.

moo

It was a terrorist attack that seemed orchestrated for the social media age.

NZ3.jpg

The brutal shootings at two Christchurch mosques, which killed 49 people, were previewed on an infamous internet message board and then graphically live-streamed on Facebook.

An 87-page manifesto, found by authorities after it was posted online, was filled with anti-immigrant, anti-Muslim ideas.

But the document was distinctive in being riddled with sarcastic language, deliberate red herrings and allusions to online meme culture, suggesting an internet-driven evolution of nationalist hatred.

This attack was about the rise of white supremacy online and the power of social media in spreading that message.

[Click on the red link underneath the above sentence in this article to see more on how this attack appears to have been made for social media]

26m ago 01:26

Some images from reporter Melissa Davey, who is in Christchurch
2016.jpg

2016.jpg

2016.jpg

Devastated friends and family have spoken of their grief and heartbreak as they anxiously await news of loved ones as the first victim of the New Zealand atrocity is named.

Omar Nabi said his father Haji-Daoud Nabi, 71, who moved to New Zealand from Afghanistan 30 years ago, was among those killed the Deans Ave Mosque in Christchurch yesterday.

Mr Nabi said his father, who ran the Afghan Association, was killed as he tried to save another person from the gunman.

LIVE UPDATES: 'Eerily calm' alleged Christchurch gunman faces court

This guy is an evil monster and a copycat of AB from Norway.

How can he think that murdering innocent people attending a religious service would further or justify his so-called "cause"?

IMHO this spree had nothing to do with a cause and everything to do with a narcissistic psychopath on a killing spree.

This is just horrific and I fear the repercussions from this monster's actions.

He's loving that he's news headlines around the world.

moo

My opinion is that he is more than a copycat of Andre Brevik. He has been drinking the koolaid and was encouraged online to do this.

I don't see this as an isolated "narcissistic pyschopath", but rather a man with strong opinions who was supported in his decision to shoot people in a mosque. He forgot to use the gasoline to burn down the mosque, which is surprising if it was his idea. How would a madman with a plan forget to use the two gerry cans of gas in his car even though he picked one up and then put it down before going back to shoot some more. Something doesn't add up for me in terms of madman acting in isolation.

It was a terrorist attack that seemed orchestrated for the social media age.

View attachment 174438

The brutal shootings at two Christchurch mosques, which killed 49 people, were previewed on an infamous internet message board and then graphically live-streamed on Facebook.

An 87-page manifesto, found by authorities after it was posted online, was filled with anti-immigrant, anti-Muslim ideas.

But the document was distinctive in being riddled with sarcastic language, deliberate red herrings and allusions to online meme culture, suggesting an internet-driven evolution of nationalist hatred.

This attack was about the rise of white supremacy online and the power of social media in spreading that message.

[Click on the red link underneath the above sentence in this article to see more on how this attack appears to have been made for social media]

I tend to agree with this perspective. This was not one man by himself in a small room making a plan, this seems more like one man bold enough to act on the plan of several. It strikes me as having an online push.

At the same time, at the Bataclan Theatre massacre Paris 2015, a man entered a building full of people and started shooting. It was the same result - bodies where they fell. That was also very likely an online push. What is it when there's an online push from two directions?

My opinion is that he is more than a copycat of Andre Brevik. He has been drinking the koolaid and was encouraged online to do this.

I don't see this as an isolated "narcissistic pyschopath", but rather a man with strong opinions who was supported in his decision to shoot people in a mosque. He forgot to use the gasoline to burn down the mosque, which is surprising if it was his idea. How would a madman with a plan forget to use the two gerry cans of gas in his car even though he picked one up and then put it down before going back to shoot some more. Something doesn't add up for me in terms of madman acting in isolation.

He may have built up the bravado to do what he did due to online/outside support, but nobody can make another person do what this monster did unless he has seriously narcissistic and psychotic tendencies, wanting to make headlines and create a worldwide statement.

There are a lot of neo-nazi/supremacist forums online with members who talk the talk but most don't actually walk the walk unless they are seriously disturbed. Its possible his adrenaline was pumping so hard during his killing spree that he entirely forgot the gas-cans and went berserk.

Moo

He may have built up the bravado to do what he did due to online/outside support, but nobody can make another person do what this monster did unless he has seriously narcissistic and psychotic tendencies, wanting to make headlines and create a worldwide statement.

There are a lot of neo-nazi/supremacist forums online with members who talk the talk but most don't actually walk the walk unless they are seriously disturbed. Its possible his adrenaline was pumping so hard during his killing spree that he entirely forgot the gas-cans and went berserk.

Moo

Agreed. No one "made" him do what he did. Instead, it's more likely that he's one of those people who is focused on one thing at a time, who interpreted Owens' ideology as a message, and who may be easily influenced by others (e.g.: maybe he lived alone).

I don't think this has anything to do with headlines, more to do with the eradication of those whom he deemed to be not allowed.

Have you watched the video? There doesn't seem to be any adrenaline pumping until after he switched guns.

I watched the video. I saw that. He runs at him and tries to tackle him in the mid-section. He fails, falls and was shot. He tried hard to stop what followed.

Did the video show the gunmans arrest? Interested to know how he was stopped in the end or if he just gave in?

Did the video show the gunmans arrest? Interested to know how he was stopped in the end or if he just gave in?

the shooters video does not show it but he was run off the road by police and gave up without much of a fight, which he said he would do in his manifesto because the police are mostly good people that he wouldnt harm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cariboucampfire73