Madeleine McCann - Netflix documentary on this case

Mercsw

Reaction score
Controversial Madeleine McCann documentary is coming to Netflix

It’s a bit of a weird scenario to be honest. One thing that struck me about this case was the closeness of the McCanns and the media. I’ve never seen a case where it was one way support behind the family and their mission to that extreme. No smear, no condemnation, no blame....just continued support and unrivalled access for over a decade. They have run negative stories on the Payne’s or the bulgers for example. Never this family who they have kept their private life private and continued to keep this case active and funded long beyond any other case in history.

Oddly the family have distanced themselves from this documentary and won’t be cooperating. The reason given by the family media spokesperson is that it’s a live investigation.

It would be interesting to see if the documentary offers anything new but this is a twelve year cold case and I feel (even without reading the 1000s of threads here) that everything that is going to be there is already there.

The mystery to me is why on earth is this the only missing child case in living memory where police (for whatever reason) did not start with those closest to the missing child then work outwards?

Within hours they were spreading rumours of bogeymen and child snatchers.....i know of no other case anywhere to be handled like that

Let’s see what the documentary does. Maybe with no one from the family involved, other things may come to the front. Seen so much on this case and it’s a unique case for so many different reasons...some not very nice.

It’s the most expensive case in Portuguese and British history despite not being in the jurisdiction of one of those forces. Twelve years and we have nothing but hearsay, raised eyebrows and loads of innuendo and stuff that you can’t say without being sued.

I don’t think this case will ever be solved sadly.

Dogs are like children...very open to suggestion and it all depends upon how a search is set up.
A dog naturally wants to please and more so when trained to be rewarded for making a find and not rewarded when finding nothing.

There are standards for searching with dogs, for example if searching a car....more than one car should be used.
The dogs are very useful but by no means infallible

Well....

Have just watched the documentary series

Promised myself that i would approach this with an open mind, but it is fair to say that it did little to alter my opinion on the case.

The things which did not make sense before,still make no sense now.
The questions which would have to be answered are still unanswered.

Still head scratching and staggered at the apparent sheer incompetance (or otherwise)
Of law enforcement both portuguese and britain.

A case where every single principle of modern day policing and crime detection has been totally ignored, where the mainstream media have behaved as though under hypnosis since day 1.
Where everything that should be simple and easily checked and corroborated seems to have been turned into a series of mysteries and subterfuge.

A very troubling case all round i think

The entire case is just a farce. Millions wasted that could of gone to other cases that really needed the cash injection.

I feel desperately sad that toddlers were left alone night after night whilst their family jollied it up and yet nothing was ever done to punish them for neglect.

I think Netflix have left it purposefully ambiguous at the moment. The first episode of making a murderer for example just talks about a historic rape and holistic approach to what was happening. Nothing new so far from what I could tell.

A lot has been looked into in this case (probably more than all bar zodiac and Jack the Ripper...ironically two other unsolved!) so a lot of theories out there. You have to wonder if too much sleuthing hinders clear sight.

Also will be interesting to see what theories are taken forward and analysed

When i see the head of C.E.O.P saying things which he MUST know are palpably untrue, it unavoidably makes one wonder "why"?

He says "normally children who are being abused are reticent around their abuser"

Two things wrong with that

1 - It is not true (and he must know that)
2 - nobody was accusing anyone of being a child abuser!

Other worrying coincidences for me

1 - the first "media advisor" to the McCann's was a former Lib dem candidate, who went on to be a media adviser in parliament.

Interestingly in the documentary she says that she was recruited by a "headhunter"

Who the hell goes headhunting for a media rep in the days after their child is "abducted"?.....from where i was viewing they had no trouble in attracting publicity to the case!
Besides i always wonder about anyone who employs a media advisor,only to seemingly instruct said advisor to ask the media to leave them alone......ýet another nonsensical element

The second (and current) was a parliamentary private secretary and journalist
Described by some as a "spin doctor"

This leads me to my second concern

Why did Gordon Brown get himself involved?

That is 1000% against convention and again simply leaves huge red flags and question marks

I could probably fill a thread of my own with this case.....but thankfully for all concerned, i shall stoically resist the temptation

Cadaver dogs don't lie, but can they make mistakes?

Yes, but that many? Possible, I suppose. I remember this case from the very start when I had no interest in crime or investigations. My first thought was "how awful", followed immediately by "why would one child be abducted when there were two others there in the same room?" Everything about this case was odd from the very start and just carried on getting stranger and stranger over the years.

Weirdest of all, I agree, is the media, PR and government involvement. I remember thinking it was unusual, at the time, but put it down to the fact that it happened abroad and also that the Blair government always wanted a piece of big human interest stories in the media. Now years on, I can't think of any other case that evolved in the same way as this one. There has to be a reason why?

It's almost made me into a conspiracy theorist, which is not my natural position. I lean heavily towards parental involvement, but for me I can't totally exclude the very small chance there was an abduction. The Isabel Celis case has proved that even when outside abduction looked unlikely, it did happen. Are the McCanns' some of those unlucky people who just come across incredibly badly and this makes us inclined to think they are guilty?

For me the big question is how many lawyers have the McCanns got watching this and will they take on Netflix?

The problem with this case is that there’s one story and one story only allowed. If they don’t have evidence, that spin doctor will release statements from neighbours or random holiday makers which get added as fact...despite people sleuthing these stories and them turning out to be false.

If you want it solved, you may as well start again. Unless something crazy happens, it will never get past day one.

Red flags...the lack of photos past day one, the confusing whereabouts of the family in never being in the same place at the same time, the ever changing night in question, the faked shutter break in, the phones all being turned off the day before at the same time, the flurry of people flying to that place the day before this happened, that make up photo, Freud and other family friends, the Indian doctors who raised suspicions previously, smell of bleach, cadaver dogs, blood splatter, deleted photos, pyjamas...

Anyone who knows the case will know all of these. Their actions since are weird which include choosing as and when to talk about the case and hiding behind the excuse of live investigation to avoid answering others.

I hope I’m wrong and they are just unlucky and confused...my day today will probably look weird if my lad was kidnapped for example under intense scrutiny. To give you an idea...I went to the same shop twice, once by car and then once by foot returning on bus. Both times I bought one item the same. Explain that when examined on here!

However you have to be worried when it’s solid red flags and a government sponsored barricade hindering investigations.

For me the big question is how many lawyers have the McCanns got watching this and will they take on Netflix?

Plenty of lawyers......but i think simply making factual observations are still ok in our wonderfully democratic nation....so for example.(and obviously i would not dream of making such an observance) ..if i was to suggest that i have 3 pieces of wood in my back garden,and ALL 3 pieces have much more charisma than Mr McCann...technically i should be safe.

Will they take on netflix?

I would not if i were advising them...i actually thought that it was a very balanced and fair presentation especially given the hostility to the project from the family.
I think that they got a very fair portrayal here

And for what its worth, i thought that the series was put together fantastically well

Ok cards on the table...

Here are the questions that i feel have either been answered nonsensically or not at all:

1 In the McCann family theory, we have a (probably) professional abductor who has staked out the family movements and spent countless hours closely monitoring timings....so as to be able to select his window of opportunity

Ok so lets pick that one apart

IF he was watching the family he would have known a couple of vital things

1 - that the back door was unlocked
2 - that this was NOT a good target as 3 children were present and 2 would be highly likely to create a fuss.
3 - that the "group" were checking on the kids every 20-30 minutes

Yet the "story" makes rubbish of all of the above

1 - despite having watched and monitored the family "mr abductor" seemingly missed that the back door was open and did what every pro abductor would have done.....he blundered in through a window (but did so with the stealth of a phantom) as her left no fingerprints.

2 - A half competent abductor would have simply selected an easier target (one without 2 other children preferrably)
But nope..guy does his homework and research and manages to select what must have been (according to the "group" accounts) a highly monitored apartment within spitting distance of the group of responsible parents!

3 - The biggest error from this criminal mastermind is yet to come....because having studied and observed he still manages (according to mr oldfield) to get himself trapped in the apartment at the precise time of one of the "regular" patrols!

Folks...any one of my 3 planks of wood could have put together something more coherent than this.

This is NOT to suggest that i have any idea as to what did happen here but i honestly cannot envisage any scenario whereby the group story does not fall down at the merest hint of scrutiny

I have dealt with only one small part of the story here but could similarly deconstruct the rest of it in exactly the same manner...,.simply by applying common sense

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88
Back