GUILTY CA - William Tillett, 11, kidnapped and murdered, Inglewood, 24 May 1990 *Arrest in 2019*

MicheleT

Reaction score
Man Arrested In 1990 Kidnapping, Murder Of 11-Year-Old Inglewood Boy
Edward Donell Thomas, 50, was apprehended Feb. 14 in the death of 11-year-old William Tillett, Inglewood police reported Tuesday.

$

Wow...I am pretty strict about genetic privacy, but I do feel joy when I think about justice for the victims coming after decades of being another "cold case".

You dont think people who have their DNA in the system should have it used if they committed a heinous crime?

Definitely no issue with LE/military databases. It's the genealogical and personal DNA testing that I feel iffy about as a consumer privacy issue. People aren't sending their DNA to these businesses in order for them to share or sell it to any other entity, including government agencies. The consumer's intended purpose is very different, and it's not like businesses offer clear privacy disclosures (and people don't read them carefully, anyway). Yet it's hard to argue against the closure of a cold case...

Definitely no issue with LE/military databases. It's the genealogical and personal DNA testing that I feel iffy about as a consumer privacy issue. People aren't sending their DNA to these businesses in order for them to share or sell it to any other entity, including government agencies. The consumer's intended purpose is very different, and it's not like businesses offer clear privacy disclosures (and people don't read them carefully, anyway). Yet it's hard to argue against the closure of a cold case...

IMO, if you did nothing wrong, why would it be an issue

From the article:
Edward Donell Thomas, 50, was apprehended Feb. 14 in the death of 11-year-old William Tillett, Inglewood police reported Tuesday.

On the afternoon of May 24, 1990, Tillett was walking home from Kew Elementary School in Inglewood when he was kidnapped in the area of Imperial Highway and Crenshaw Boulevard, according to police.

His body was found later that day in a carport in a Hawthorne neighborhood.

Police did not confirm how Thomas was identified as a suspect.

I agree with that and would volunteer it to LE if there was a crime and they were asking for exclusionary DNA (like they did in a few small-town cases I can think of). I wouldn't willingly give any for-profit entity my genetic info, especially since genetic code is shared by family members who may not want their info out there for whatever reason (including possible employer or insurer discrimination - illegal, but hard to prove).

Regardless, I am thankful that this child's murderer will face justice. William Tillett, rest in peace, sweet boy.

Last edited:
@gitana1 - wondering if you could help me on this case. He is in L.A. County & if you could give me the Case # - it would be very much appreciated!
TIA! :)

@gitana1 - wondering if you could help me on this case. He is in L.A. County & if you could give me the Case # - it would be very much appreciated!
TIA! :)

Going to bump up this question for @gitana1 - if you could? TIA! :)

@Sanz - if you can - could you please look up the Case number for this one for me? TIA! :)

Thursday, April 4th:
*Arraignment and Plea Hearing (@ 8:30am PT) – CA – William Tillett (11) (May 24, 1990, Inglewood, kidnapped & murdered) - *Edward Donell Thomas (50/22 @ time of crime) arrested (2/14/19), charged (2/20/19) & arraigned (4/4/19) with 1 count of murder during commission of a kidnapping & lying in wait & 1 count of a felon in possession of a firearm. Held without bond.
DNA link.
2/20/19 Update: Did not enter plea. Arraignment hearing is reset for 4/4.

Pomona man pleads not guilty to 1990 killing of 11-year-old boy in Inglewood – Daily Breeze

A Pomona man pleaded not guilty Thursday to a capital-murder charge stemming from the killing of an 11-year-old boy kidnapped nearly three decades ago while walking home from school in Inglewood.
[.....]
Prosecutors will decide later whether to seek the death penalty against Thomas, who also is facing a charge of possession of a firearm by a felon.
[.....]
He is due back May 1 in a downtown Los Angeles courtroom, when a date is scheduled to be set for a hearing to determine whether there is enough evidence to allow the case against him to proceed to trial.

Wednesday, May 1st:
*Probable Cause Hearing (@ 8:30am PT) – CA – William Tillett (11) (May 24, 1990, Inglewood, kidnapped & murdered) - *Edward Donell Thomas (50/22 @ time of crime) arrested (2/14/19), charged (2/20/19) & arraigned (4/4/19) with 1 count of murder during commission of a kidnapping & lying in wait & 1 count of a felon in possession of a firearm. Plead not guilty. Held without bond.
DNA link.
4/4/19 Update: Plead not guilty. Next probable cause hearing (to see if enough evidence to go to trial) on 5/1.

Monday, June 3rd:
*Preliminary Hearing (@ 8:30am PT) – CA – William Tillett (11) (May 24, 1990, Inglewood, kidnapped & murdered) - *Edward Donell Thomas (50/22 @ time of crime) arrested (2/14/19), charged (2/20/19) & arraigned (4/4/19) with 1 count of murder during commission of a kidnapping & lying in wait & 1 count of a felon in possession of a firearm. Plead not guilty. Held without bond.
DNA link.
4/4/19 Update: Plead not guilty. Next probable cause hearing (to see if enough evidence to go to trial) on 5/1.
5/1/19 Update: Probable cause found to bind over for trial. Next Preliminary hearing on 6/3.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChucksChickTiff
Back