New Zealand - Christchurch Mosque shooting, dead & injured reported, 15 March 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
What happens when that law is "modified" to ban houses of worship? That, too, would ensure people in prayer are not shot since they are not en masse.

We should probably ban all aircrafts, vehicles, cargo trucks, and any other vessel used to commit these attacks as well. Because everyone knows that it's the vessel that's the problem, not the actual person committing the attacks.

BBM.

The debate? I assume you're referring to the newly announced ban? You say debate as though you're even being given the chance to debate it?

The Debate:

"When the prime minister announced plans to ban semiautomatic rifles following Friday’s mass shootings, it seemed to be the bold response that many New Zealanders wanted — until the country’s attorney general back-pedalled almost immediately and said that might not be the government’s final decision.

While Washington struggles to take action even as such shootings become more routine, New Zealand’s government is immediately diving into a detailed discussion of further legislative checks on guns.

Prime Minister Ardern seems to be listening, at least for now, to all sides in the debate. She also seems determined to do what the United States Congress has not, which is to act."​

After Mosque Massacre, New Zealand Has Its Gun-Debate Moment

We should probably ban all aircrafts, vehicles, cargo trucks, and any other vessel used to commit these attacks as well. Because everyone knows that it's the vessel that's the problem, not the actual person committing the attacks.
Didn't Stockholm consider banning all vehicles from the inner city because of their terrorist attack? Calmer minds prevailed though. I remember wondering how they expected to transport store stock.

The Debate:

"When the prime minister announced plans to ban semiautomatic rifles following Friday’s mass shootings, it seemed to be the bold response that many New Zealanders wanted — until the country’s attorney general back-pedalled almost immediately and said that might not be the government’s final decision.

While Washington struggles to take action even as such shootings become more routine, New Zealand’s government is immediately diving into a detailed discussion of further legislative checks on guns.

Prime Minister Ardern seems to be listening, at least for now, to all sides in the debate. She also seems determined to do what the United States Congress has not, which is to act."​

After Mosque Massacre, New Zealand Has Its Gun-Debate Moment
To be fair to everyone involved, you have to consider the fact that the gov't has more control over the people in New Zealand than in the US where there is a very powerful Bill of Rights.

New Zealand mosque shootings: Are social media companies unwitting accomplices? USA Today is skating close to blaming social media for the shooting. They don't seem to blame the shooter at all.

Yes, because they desperately want to shut down specific social media outlets but those pesky laws keep getting in the way. So they're trying to make it happen under the guise of public demand.

People really should be questioning why the first response to tragedies like these is to use them to further political agendas.

RSBM. That's kind of comparing apples to oranges though. Not remotely the same situation.

But I agree that during wartime it is very easy to kill unarmed people, which is exactly the reason why I will fight to keep my guns.
I think that in any situation an unarmed person is at a great disadvantage when confronted with an armed killer.

If the victim is also armed it helps to even the playing field, giving them the opportunity to stop the threat and potentially save lives. JMO

To be fair to everyone involved, you have to consider the fact that guns are a right in the US and a priviledge in New Zealand.

That is my point: that societies define law according to what the people want. New Zealand law cannot be judged by law of any other country. They have the law that they want, and not the law that some other country wants.

The NZ government is now in debate regarding gun law reform, especially in relation to sale of large magazines used for restricted semi-automatic weapons. The message is that at the end of the debate, the government will act. Change is coming, but no one yet knows what it will look like.

That is my point: that societies define law according to what the people want. New Zealand law cannot be judged by law of any other country. They have the law that they want, and not the law that some other country wants.

The NZ government is now in debate regarding gun law reform, especially in relation to sale of large magazines used for restricted semi-automatic weapons. The message is that at the end of the debate, the government will act. Change is coming, but no one yet knows what it will look like.
My point is that change almost always ends with less power to the people and more power to the gov't. Change is coming and we know it won't be a weaker gov't/stronger population.

Better management of violent weapons is not equivalent to fewer human rights.
It is if there is no input from the people themselves. A free government doesn't control the people, but is controlled by the people.

Has there been any mention about the other people arrested? I know one was released as being an innocent bystander, but what about the other two?

Two other people were apprehended, Bush said, and police seized a firearm from them. The woman was released without charge, while the other man was charged with firearms offenses.

One additional man was also arrested in the aftermath of the shooting, but police said they don't believe he was involved in the attack either. Bush said the man was helping get children to safety but that he armed himself, "which is not the right approach."

Dozens killed in Christchurch mosque attack - CNN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member