CANADA Canada - Ben Tyner, 32, cowboy, horse returned w/o him, Merritt, British Columbia, 26 Jan 2019 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish this would be the case as well. However, there are tons of people still selling decals and raising money with auctions, and Jack is part of the official Facebook page so he's aware of all this. I sincerely hear loss in his voice when he posts occasionally. I think perhaps the voice of the Missing Ben page is directed at those people who follow it, requesting that they do not search. RCMP has made no such request that I've read anywhere. JMO
agree that there is and has been a tone of defeat in Jack's communications. I sensed it several weeks back when he was
rambling sentimentally about his older brother. I felt it strongly.
Sort of like he had accepted the finality of his brother choosing
to be gone.

agree that there is and has been a tone of defeat in Jack's communications. I sensed it several weeks back when he was
to be gone

RBBM. Interesting words. You believe there's a possibility Ben went missing on his own? And that his family (at least his brother) is aware?

I wish this would be the case as well. However, there are tons of people still selling decals and raising money with auctions, and Jack is part of the official Facebook page so he's aware of all this. I sincerely hear loss in his voice when he posts occasionally. I think perhaps the voice of the Missing Ben page is directed at those people who follow it, requesting that they do not search. RCMP has made no such request that I've read anywhere. JMO

I know! Wishful thinking.......
Actually, I know of no way to prevent a person from looking. Anyone out & about can happen upon things, even w/o actually searching.
Perhaps Jack prefers things to be left alone for LE.

to be gone.

@enelram I, too, find some of Jack’s words to be much different. I suppose so much time has passed the urgency Jack once had is now gone.
I entertain thoughts as I drive or do mundane tasks, it’s hard to figure this out as we have no info, really.
In most missing person cases there’s an unwanted pregnancy, a significant other with issues, a divorce or any number of elements. Here, we have a cowboy & a horse. One found, the other not.
Most baffling is the idea of foul play. IF Ben fell victim to foul play, the perp’ had to have access to Gunny & his tack.
So, I rule out a complete stranger.
Jmo

As I reread the statement about Jack's request, I interpret it differently now, based on the original post from Facebook page admin. The use of the the word "they" means to me no searches unless RCMP tells family them (they) it's ok. RCMP perhaps requested this of family. IM new O

MISSING: BEN TYNER

Original post:
ADMIN UPDATE: I've confirmed with Jack that informal ground search efforts cannot take place until or unless RCMP approve them. He will let me know if that is the case and I'll let all of you know.

Post about Jack's (brother) request:
Jack Tyner has asked you don’t search unless they get the okay from the RCMP. Our post wasn’t an assumption it was a request .

I got the impression that his brother believes Ben couldn't have survived from an injury after this length of time, not that he killed himself.
Oh for sure. I think they realized that the day they gave the press conference and then went home to Wyoming. Still, they would want his body to be recovered and returned home. Searching would be a rescue mission. IMO

Just thinking, no one knows, did Ben leave 01/26, 27 or the morning of 01/28. Time is passing. He’s been gone nearly two months.
Never clarified, iir..There was never really a clarification of when he was last seen, was there? Saturday afternoon around 2pm or Saturday evening?

The horse was found early Monday morning (5:30am) 1/28, so I'd say that rules out his leaving that day. IMO

ETA Link provided

UPDATE: Ben Tyner confirmed missing by Nicola Ranch - Merritt Herald

“Due to active logging in the area and herds of wild horses, finding track for the rider has been hindered and Search and Rescue is still unaware of the missing male’s destination,” Dunsmore wrote.

Merritt RCMP were alerted to a horse with no rider — but equipped with full gear — at approximately 12:30 p.m. on Jan. 28, said Dunsmore.

Local hunter Kim Robinson, the man who tracked down Allan Schoenborn when he was at large for nine days back in 2008, told the Herald he found Tyner’s horse early Monday morning, around 5:30 a.m.

“It took me about 20 minutes to get him because he was pretty jumpy — something happened to him. He only had one rein,” Robinson said. “But I caught him and tied him up to a tree.”

Robinson called a few local cowboys at that time to notify them.

“When they called me back at 12:30 p.m. — this really pissed me off — they told me that it was the manager of the Nicola Ranch’s horse, who had been missing since Saturday night. I don’t know why nobody knew.”

Last edited:
I'm going to state the obvious, but there are so many unanswered questions surrounding this case it has me checking this thread daily. If this was a clear cut case, i.e. Ben told everyone he was going to look for strays, told everyone where he was going to look, and when to go looking for him if he hadn't come back by a certain time...etc., there wouldn't be so many questions and so many avenues of speculation. He would've been missing because he had an unfortunate accident or he took himself out. If he'd brought a satellite phone, a locator beacon, etc. and let someone know he was lost, hurt, in danger, at least the searchers would know where to look. All we know is that he either left on his own or was taken away by person or persons unknown. Apparently there is video footage of a trailer and pickup truck. Is it a fact Ben and his horse were taken away at that time or is that something the police have a strong reason to believe? In what direction did the trailer go? Was it in the same direction the horse was found? The only certainties are that Ben is missing and his horse was found, but did not return home on its own.

I'm going to state the obvious, but there are so many unanswered questions surrounding this case it has me checking this thread daily. If this was a clear cut case, i.e. Ben told everyone he was going to look for strays, told everyone where he was going to look, and when to go looking for him if he hadn't come back by a certain time...etc., there wouldn't be so many questions and so many avenues of speculation. He would've been missing because he had an unfortunate accident or he took himself out. If he'd brought a satellite phone, a locator beacon, etc. and let someone know he was lost, hurt, in danger, at least the searchers would know where to look. All we know is that he either left on his own or was taken away by person or persons unknown. Apparently there is video footage of a trailer and pickup truck. Is it a fact Ben and his horse were taken away at that time or is that something the police have a strong reason to believe? In what direction did the trailer go? Was it in the same direction the horse was found? The only certainties are that Ben is missing and his horse was found, but did not return home on its own.

Is there video footage of a trailer/truck? I have not found any info as to this. I know LE asked for dashcam video.
If this is the case, then foul play seems obvious. If someone drove him, they did not come forward.
IMO, LE has info of a known person trailering Ben but that person denied doing so. Why? Well, obviously to not self incriminate.
To my knowledge the only fact we have is that Ben remains missing.

Last edited:
Is there video footage of a trailer/truck? I have not found any info as to this. I know LE asked for dashcam video.
If this is the case, then foul play seems obvious. If someone drove him, they did not come forward.
IMO, LE has info of a known person trailering Ben but that person denied doing so. Why? Well, obviously to not self incriminate.
To my knowledge the only fact we have is that Ben remains missing.
Ditto. Never heard confirmation of video footage. Only that it was asked for. Did they state something was seen on video? That would be a great lead if so. Only thing I ever read is that Ben’s trailer was not used.

Ze, I never heard Ben’s trailer was not used. I know it was stated his truck/trailer were found at his home.
Of course, if someone used Ben’s trailer to drop him off, they’d have no reason to not come forward, to assist with the investigation.

Ze, I never heard Ben’s trailer was not used. I know it was stated his truck/trailer were found at his home.
Of course, if someone used Ben’s trailer to drop him off, they’d have no reason to not come forward, to assist with the investigation.
BBM
All true. Only read also that trailer was found at his home and for some reason that translated (in my mind) as it was not used. Obviously if he took the horse out himself, then he didn't use his trailer. It would have still been out there.

If someone else did use his trailer and then return it, now we're talking about someone needing access to his keys. And if someone had nefarious intentions, that would be a bit risky, don't you think T? That tends to make me believe his trailer was not used to transport his horse the day he went missing. JMO

ETA. Link added

'No closure': Family of missing cowboy Ben Tyner appeal for more information in search

The search for Tyner was launched Jan. 28 after his horse returned alone to Nicola Ranch unscathed and with no signs of harm. He was last seen Jan. 26 and it’s believed he went out initially to search for loose cattle in the surrounding hills. His truck and trailer were still parked in his driveway when he was reported missing.

Last edited:
Idk Watcher but did see some pics of Ca in general & it looked as if melting was occurring. The sun is getting more intense!

The comment “he would help anyone”, made by Ben’s family at the onset makes me believe they suspect foul play & have all along. Reading between the lines....it’s like, “WHY”, he would have helped you.....
Idk, just my opinion.
Maybe the spring thaw will bring answers.

At what temp does the snow start melting up there in BC?
Here is the weather for Merritt for the next 2 wks.
It is in Celsius and not Fahrenheit degrees. "C" = 0 degrees vs "F"=32 degrees.

Merritt, British Columbia 14 Day Weather Forecast - The Weather Network
Fahrenheit to Celsius Converter
I read a few comments on Missing Ben FB about snow melting. Those temps you posted seem pretty warm. That should help.

BTW an easy way to convert C to F is to double the C temp and add 30. Estimate but close enough.

Maybe if Ben dropped anything it might be found after snow is gone. Always hoping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VT_Squire