CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #13

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is true, here is an article that details the ruling that allowed the DT to present the DNA information at the same time he denied the request to present the information regarding DK: Defense attorney claims another business associate of Joseph McStay was complicit in killing family – San Bernardino Sun

Yes. I agree that it is true that the defense says there is DNA evidence found in the graves. I am not sure if that is accurate/relevant information though. Is that DNA that came from someone during the commission of the crime?

It is hard for some to believe that because there was evidently no DNA from the McStay' themselves, found on their bodies, because of the passage of time snd the elements. So how could this other DNA survive?

It seems to me like that DNA might have been 'trace' DNA that happened during the retrieval of the remains. I h=guess we will need to wait for the dueling of the experts, to see. ;-]

Yes. I agree that it is true that the defense says there is DNA evidence found in the graves. I am not sure if that is accurate/relevant information though. Is that DNA that came from someone during the commission of the crime?

It is hard for some to believe that because there was evidently no DNA from the McStay' themselves, found on their bodies, because of the passage of time snd the elements. So how could this other DNA survive?

It seems to me like that DNA might have been 'trace' DNA that happened during the retrieval of the remains. I h=guess we will need to wait for the dueling of the experts, to see. ;-]

I'm sure we will be hearing more about it as the trial continues. As of now the DT has only stated that they determined it matched 3 males and 1 female.

Can someone tell me, is it really Catherine's testimony that Chase was calling her repeatedly while they were in the same house? She says "on the property" but weren't they living in apartments? This is CM's alibi and she has stood firm that he was at home with her the night of the 4th? I'm confused.

I have been thinking more about this.

It seems a highly significant matter which has been overlooked.

I wonder why Mike did not testify to it?

MM did testify regarding the the timeline from the end of January and beginning of February. He did not do well with the dates and details because he couldn't remember. There are MSM reports of interviews with him that help detail what occurred during that time period:
Video shows missing family leaving home – Orange County Register

It's a problem for the defense because she says to Chase in the phone call that she could have sworn it was on a Friday, and then they showed her call records from Joey to Chase the previous Friday at around 9.30 pm that wasn't answered. It beats a call that didn't connect with Chase's phone on the 4th, IMO.

Hi @Tortoise

I missed a lot with travel in the last 2 weeks

Can you please explain this in some more detail? Sorry to be lazy!

Can someone tell me, is it really Catherine's testimony that Chase was calling her repeatedly while they were in the same house? She says "on the property" but weren't they living in apartments? This is CM's alibi and she has stood firm that he was at home with her the night of the 4th? I'm confused.

The call testimony along with the cell experts testimony was very complicated. Hopefully, when @missy1974 realizes the thread is open she will be able to explain it. I know she follows the details very carefully.

MM did testify regarding the the timeline from the end of January and beginning of February. He did not do well with the dates and details because he couldn't remember. There are MSM reports of interviews with him that help detail what occurred during that time period:
Video shows missing family leaving home – Orange County Register

This doesn't cover the key aspect.

We know the video does not show the 4 in the trooper going out for dinner.

So why did Mike think that? As far as I am aware, he did not testify to being told that by Chase.

Apparently, the apartment building had a office/lobby center for the tenants. And it had wifi available so Chase would go there to use computer devices, or watch tv online? If I understand the defense correctly...

Apparently, the apartment building had a office/lobby center for the tenants. And it had wifi available so Chase would go there to use computer devices, or watch tv online? If I understand the defense correctly...

of course the problem with all this is that the accused won't testify to it.

His alibi remains what he told police - where, charitably at best, he was "mistaken"

Thank you. I didn’t see the ‘three men one woman’ in the article—but the defense evidence should be presented soon—and cross-examined.
This doesn't cover the key aspect.

We know the video does not show the 4 in the trooper going out for dinner.

So why did Mike think that? As far as I am aware, he did not testify to being told that by Chase.

At the time of the family disappearance MM did many media interviews where he said that he saw the neighbor's surveillance tape and saw the legs of all the family members getting in the trooper and leaving the house at 7:47 pm. That was the information that led everyone, including LE, to believe they left the house willingly. We assumed that was accurate until after the arrest of CM.

Last edited:
At the time of the family disappearance MM did many media interviews where he said that he saw the neighbor's surveillance tape and saw the legs of all the family members getting in the trooper and leaving the house at 7:47 pm. That was the information that led everyone, including LE, to believe they left the house willingly.

Hmm - that is strange. It would not be possible to see that?

Clearly Dugal didn't see anything like that ...

At the time of the family disappearance MM did many media interviews where he said that he saw the neighbor's surveillance tape and saw the legs of all the family members getting in the trooper and leaving the house at 7:47 pm. That was the information that led everyone, including LE, to believe they left the house willingly.

I’m a bit confused. LE had seen the tape, too, hadn’t they? If they had, they’d have known that MM was not—putting it kindly—accurate. So how could he have led LE to believe anything?

Or did he have access to the tape and at the time, LE didn’t?

Hmm - that is strange. It would not be possible to see that?

Clearly Dugal didn't see anything like that ...

No he did not, but remember the family didn't involve LE for 2 weeks (which was when Animal Control posted a notice at the house about "unattended, unfed and barking dogs". MM went to the neighbors house and asked to see the video. There are YouTube videos of him meeting with Texas Equesearch at the Fallbrook house, with SM's brother and talking about the video.

No he did not, but remember the family didn't involve LE for 2 weeks (which was when Animal Control posted a notice at the house about "unattended, unfed and barking dogs". MM went to the neighbors house and asked to see the video. There are YouTube videos of him meeting with Texas Equesearch at the Fallbrook house, with SM's brother and talking about the video.

Had he personally seen it - I would have thought he would testify to the point.

There is something peculiar about this aspect, going back to @Force Ten 's posts

Monday, March 18th:
*Trial continues (Day 33) –early finish today (@ 9:30am PT) - CA - McStay Family: Joseph (40), Summer (43), Gianni (4) & Joey Jr (3) (Feb. 4, 2010, Fallbrook; found Nov. 11, 2013) - *Charles "Chase" Ray Merritt (57/now 60) arrested (11/5/14) & indicted (11/7/14) of 4 counts of murder with special circumstance; plead not guilty. DP case.
12 jurors & 6 alternates were finalized on Tuesday (12/11/18). 8 women & 4 men, while the alternates include 4 men & 2 women. Trial started 1/7/19. Dark on Fridays.
See Trial Days 1 (1/7/19) thru 26 (2/28/18) links - reference post #541 here:
CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #12
See Trial Days 3/4/19 (Day 27) thru 3/12/19 (Day 30) - reference post #171 here:
CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #13

3/13/19 Day 31: Judge Michael A. Smith is addressing the jury about Gov. Newsom's moratorium on death penalty, "It has no effect on this phase of the trial. Also don't consider that for any purpose. I will guide you on law." Defense witnesses: Sara Taylor Jarvis, Merritt's daughter. Catherine Jarvis, ex of Merritt's. Trial continues on 3/14.
Schedule for week of 3/18: Mon. 3/18-early finish; Tues. 3/19-full trial day, Wed. 3/20-full trial day, Thurs. 3/21 & Fri. 3/22-Dark; Wed. 3/27-late start, possible whole morning off.
3/14/19 Day 32: Catherine Jarvis. Trial continues to Monday, 3/18.

And this
(quote)
SBCSD investigators interviewed Cathy Jarvis, Merritt's former girlfriend and mother of his children. Jarvis lived with Merritt at the time of the murders. Jarvis confirmed the family had an AT&T air card installed in their computer which would allow the family, including Merritt, the ability to access the internet. Investigators are aware that Intuit and Quickbooks can be accessed through any internet connection, including Merritt accessing it through his home computer.
http://ftpcontent.worldnow.com/kfmb/misc/mcstay_warrants.pdf

Okay—these media interviews with MM—are they on tape, so that you can see and hear him saying it? Or is it a case of ‘journalists’ quoting him. If it’s the latter, there’s a simple and common explanation—that the journalist simply got it wrong,

Had he personally seen it - I would have thought he would testify to the point.

There is something peculiar about this aspect, going back to @Force Ten 's posts
I don't know whether you are able to watch videos from the USA, but I will post these 2 from the walk through with Tim Miller from Texas EquuSearch. The were a private search company hired by PM.
I think they also help for visualizing the Fallbrook house following the disappearance.

I wonder if the beds being stripped was done by Chase?

Also no wonder the family were so stressed. I can not imagine going to sleep on crappy air mattress for months on end and then having to get up deal with toddlers, dogs and for Joey run his own business day after day (oh and renovate the house).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288