CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dugal has stated that Chase was cooperative and answered all of their questions in 2010. The problem was SDSD was still treating the case as voluntarily missing and lacked the probable cause for search warrants.

I get that.

I am approaching this from the defendant's perspective. That call log was key. The last contact from Joey.

Why didn't he show it to detectives?

Why didn't he keep evidence of it?

If only he had - he would not be on trial for murder!

Chase stated that he or CJ saw the call come in and did not answer it. So the missed log must have been on his phone according to his own statements. According to defence witness at trial the caller display was Joey.

So where is the log?

Call me old fashioned but surely you would retain this one key piece of evidence that cleared you of any involvement?

Interesting that he did not whip out his phone during that clubhouse interview to look for his missed call log. I am not even sure he mentions the missed call. Does anyone remember? Surely that would be something important to mention,

Interesting that he did not whip out his phone during that clubhouse interview to look for his missed call log. I am not even sure he mentions the missed call. Does anyone remember? Surely that would be something important to mention,

If only he had thought to show it, he would not be on trial for murder!

IMO I don't know that they even knew about it in 2010, that it wasn't on Chase's records. Can anyone tell me when they first got Chase's cell phone records?

Regardless of what it does or does not show on Chase's records, on Joey's it does show and it shows 1 minute duration, which indictates it was either answered or went to VM, so someone needs to explain that... are Joey's records wrong, or are Chase's?
Maybe in here somewhere, page 24 of the warrants.
(quote)
In addition, customer service record, billing statements, or rounds, credit information and toll records, cell site location, cell site information, text messaging, data and email information for the billing month of February 1, 2009 through February 28, 2010. Also call forwarding information on all of the telephone numbers including the name and address for those numbers forwarded. AND TO SEIZE IT IF FOUND and bring it forthwith before me, or this court, at the courthouse of this~~· This Search Warrant and in~~ted Affidavit was sworn to as true and subscribed before me this ..2 day of July, 2014, at ID ZS PM. Wherefore, I find probable cause for the issuance of this Search Warrant and do issue it.
http://ftpcontent.worldnow.com/kfmb/misc/mcstay_warrants.pdf

Actually, the first person to mention it was MM. He said he checked with Chase after noticing the call on Joey's phone records and that was when Chase mentioned that he just heard noise in the background (kids or restaurant sounds). Early on we, on the boards, wondered if it had been a "butt dial" (accidental call when sitting down).

Last edited:
Actually, the first person to mention it was MM. He said he checked with Chase after noticing the call on Joey's phone records and that was when Chase mentioned that he just heard noise in the background (kids or restaurant sounds).

So that would indicate Chase tailored his evidence?

You get why I am so sceptical Chase ever had a log of this call.

Especially after his daughters absurd testimony that Chase and CJ fought over a missed call

LOL

Check out her smile when she says

"i am not aware of anything like that"

Also note the professional audio quality.

How I hate L&C

Oh the quality is so much better than L&C.

I just don't know if I believe TJ was not aware that the call did not register on CM's log. Hasn't she said that she has followed the trial and the case closely? I just don't know.

Oh the quality is so much better than L&C.

I just don't know if I believe TJ was not aware that the call did not register on CM's log. Hasn't she said that she has followed the trial and the case closely? I just don't know.

She is lying - look at the wee dupers smile.

Her testimony is cut from whole cloth

I wrote this down the other day so i would remember it. Now i will have to find where i read it lol, but here goes
(quote)
The last call from JM's phone, the one that dialed CM's number, that call never registered on CM's phone bill, it's not there.
The 6 VM's that pinged into CM's phone in Mira Loma at 9:32pm. Feb. 4th. None of them were from JM.
When CJ was confronted with this fact, she changed her story to say she must of had her dates confused.

So that would indicate Chase tailored his evidence?

You get why I am so sceptical Chase ever had a log of this call.

Especially after his daughters absurd testimony that Chase and CJ fought over a missed call

LOL

Quite honestly, at that point in time, everyone was confused. In the video I posted upthread of MM and EquuSearch in the Fallbrook home, MM mentions to everyone that "maybe there was a call from someone Joey trusted, like Chase, to come out an meet him somewhere". Clearly everyone was confused and worried. I don't think anyone changed or tailored their evidence. These were people whose only focus was finding the family. There was a lot of conjecture and changing information as new pieces of the puzzle were found. jmho

Chase was interviewed by Police in 2010. Why would he not show them the missed call log on his phone? After all, it supports the story he told them?

I can think of one reason why he didn't.
But he did bring two things with him. The email from JM to him about the 45,000. Can't remember what the second one was now. Just thought it was strange that he proffered that right away.

I wrote this down the other day so i would remember it. Now i will have to find where i read it lol, but here goes
(quote)
The last call from JM's phone, the one that dialed CM's number, that call never registered on CM's phone bill, it's not there.
The 6 VM's that pinged into CM's phone in Mira Loma at 9:32pm. Feb. 4th. None of them were from JM.
When CJ was confronted with this fact, she changed her story to say she must of had her dates confused.

Its almost as if his phone was switched off.

Quite honestly, at that point in time, everyone was confused. In the video I posted upthread of MM and EquuSearch in the Fallbrook home, MM mentions to everyone that "maybe there was a call from someone Joey trusted, like Chase, to come out an meet him somewhere". Clearly everyone was confused and worried. I don't think anyone changed or tailored their evidence. These were people whose only focus was finding the family. There was a lot of conjecture and changing information as new pieces of the puzzle were found. jmho

But why would Chase be confused or need to find this out from MM?

According to 2 defence witnesses plus Chase statements he always had the call log on his phone, and knew when he got his last call from Joey

So did CM "remember" the incoming call after MM asks him about it? To me, that is hinky. Per the Merritt household, this missed call was a big deal. They even debated on call the cops to report the McStays missing on the weekend of the Feb 6-7. Why didn't me mention the call at the clubhouse meeting. Did he mention the call to the secretary at MSM that following Monday?

If only he had thought to show it, he would not be on trial for murder!

I'm not so sure that would have saved him from being arrested, and charged for their murders though.

He has a lot more evidence against him that just the supposed phone call.

There is no way to know if it was Joey who really called. IMO, CM destroyed both Joey and Summer's phones.

I'm sure we have all seen cases where the suspect used the victims cell phones trying to pretend the victims were still alive at the time, even though the murderer had already killed them.

I think this is the same set of circumstances in this case as well. The same old trickaroo often used by many murderers nowadays.

Imo

But why would Chase be confused or need to find this out from MM?

According to 2 defence witnesses plus Chase statements he always had the call log on his phone, and knew when he got his last call from Joey

I was referring the the fact that MM made a lot of contradictory statements at that time. MM was under stress and his recall of what he asked (or heard from) those who knew Joey was frequently confused or mis-stated. All you need to do is watch the early news videos and the EquuSearch videos of the house to see the stress he was under. I don't believe CM was confused, but each day there was additional information coming in. No one, not even LE, were following procedures. I don't know what the outcome of this trial will be, and I certainly agree Chase is a scoundrel. However, I don't think the phone logs seemed important to anyone until after the bodies were found, and that was several years after the family disappeared. imho

I'm not so sure that would have saved him from being arrested, and charged for their murders though.

He has a lot more evidence against him that just the supposed phone call.

There is no way to know if it was Joey who really called. IMO, CM destroyed both Joey and Summer's phones.

I'm sure we have all seen cases where the suspect used the victims cell phones trying to pretend the victims were still alive at the time, even though the murderer had already killed them.

I think this is the same set of circumstances in this case as well. The same old trickaroo often used by many murderers nowadays.

Imo

I was not being entirely serious

But if he had the device call log, it would at least prove the defence contention about calls not always logging in the billing record.

Of course he doesn't have the device log because his phone was off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooreknowledge