Found Deceased Ireland - Ruth Maguire, 30, vanished during hen party, Carlingford, Co Louth, Leinster, 16 Mar 2019

Somebody mentioned in this thread they found only one place that could sleep a group that large, but now I can't find the post. If that person see thiss post, can you post a link to where you think they might have been staying?
That was me.
I did a search on Airbnb and VRBO for .5 km around the pub for 16+ guests, there was one hit to the south and a few more a bit further south (more than 5 mins walk). I have since found out that Carlingford is a “Hen and Stag” destination town with quite a few party planning companies offering booking services for large groups. A google search will turn up plenty of options for folks looking to head here, but many offering stay options for large groups are either motel-based or multi-property. If the 30 hens were bedding down in the same property, options are limited...especially within a 5-min walk.

Last edited:
Should the doorman be questioned more? Moo
If the bar was really hosting 4 hens’ nights as mentioned above and closing at 12:30am, I’m not sure he would have the opportunity...but surely he has been questioned and quite possibility eliminated because of CCTV footage
(From google street view there seems to be CCTV covering the pub doors and street, to the north and south and the terrace/car park.)

CarlingfordHenandStag.com has accommodations. Appears to be run by Taafes Castle. I didn’t see anything for 32 people in town - perhaps they had two “places” rented. Some of the descriptions said “heating not included” o_O

From a little poke around it seemed she was a well-loved woman in her community with a full and happy life.
I’d like to think of this as a potential case of misadventure...perhaps a walk out on the pier and slipping or tripping into the water. Of course suicide must be looked as a possibility as must other types of sinister interventions...
What do others think?

From a little poke around it seemed she was a well-loved woman in her community with a full and happy life.
I’d like to think of this as a potential case of misadventure...perhaps a walk out on the pier and slipping or tripping into the water. Of course suicide must be looked as a possibility as must other types of sinister interventions...
What do others think?
I think that she was last seen at 11:30 then took a picture an hours walk away at midnight is something to be looked into for sure.

She was last seen about 11:30 at the pub. She took an Instagram at midnight. We know it was of a house facing the bay.
I don't know where the hour of walking came from other than speculation that she may have started walking toward the ferry which is about 15 kilometers away and the fact that she was recovered somewhere along the same 15 kilometer coast line between Carlingford and Greenore where the ferry leaves from.
We don't know for a fact that she even walked anywhere, she may have tumbled backward off the seawall right at the end of the street right down from the pub. ( Google Maps)
The short video clips of the helicoptor search seemed to be searching the bay on the other side of the seawall and they did have CCTV that indicated she was "very near" the water. I would think they would start looking intensively at the point she entered the water.

A google search will turn up plenty of options for folks looking to head here, but many offering stay options for large groups are either motel-based or multi-property. If the 30 hens were bedding down in the same property, options are limited...especially within a 5-min walk.
I would assume for that many people they probably either crammed more people into a house/apartment than it was supposed to be for, or booked multiple rooms in one place

I would assume for that many people they probably either crammed more people into a house/apartment than it was supposed to be for, or booked multiple rooms in one place
I can’t imagine 32 ladies in one house - especially if set up for a smaller group and 2 bathrooms.
I’m glad I had a small bridal party and only had to deal with 8 of us!

Anyone have a link to her Instagram account?
Her Instagram is private so I can’t see photo

e03acd79-cab0-4247-82fc-47a620b2f910-png.174814

Carlingford Lough Tides | Tide Times
It seems to me that if she was at the seawall at midnight or thereabouts, if she went over the seawall either accidentally or on purpose, there may not have even been water on the other side. Google maps shows washed up debris there and all the way to the end of the northern end of the seawall. The picture of the search boat on the ramp is definitely at the northern end of the seawall, the yellow house in the background is the same as on Google Maps.

All this, in addition to her comment about walking home (ferry is in the southerly direction) and and the description by LE of finding her between Carlingford and Greenore makes me think she turned right at the seawall and walked south for as long as she walked.

Mystery final moments of mum who vanished and died after hen party

Nathan Leneghan, a member of the RNLI involved in the discovery of Ruth’s body, said it was a “sad time”.

He told the Irish Mirror: “At 12.10pm on Monday Newcastle RNLI commenced a search at the entrance to Carlingford Lough and outlying islands.

“During this search the lifeboat located a casualty in the water who was taken to Greenore Harbour by Kilkeel lifeboat and placed in the care of An Garda Siochana.

“On behalf of Newcastle RNLI, I wish our deepest sympathy to the family and friends of the woman who was recovered from the water.”

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romeo20
Back