Victim: Alicia Showalter Reynolds and the Route 29 Stalker, 2 March 1996

Here is a video which I found on You Tube a little while ago which I thought was well made. It features four groups of cases one of which is the Route 29 Stalker case. I like to try and guess peoples accents and I go for Irish with this one although I stand to be corrected:

Thanks for sharing the web page dedicated to the Route 29 stalker. I would urge anyone following Alicia's case to listen to the podcasts as they seem to contain info that was never shared with the public.

It is mortifying that many local authorities are not more helpful in assisting in the process of solving the crimes. Its been years, and it appears that this sleepy little town would like to pretend that they were not the epicenter of a number of unsolved crimes.

I understand that they need tourism and want to be seen as a desirable place to live. Thing is, lots of us already know about the murders and attempted abductions, and sweeping it under the rug does not make the problem go away. There are lots of people who still care and authorities can actually make this problem go away by solving it, not by turning a blind eye.
So I really only learned one thing from new from this Podcast and that was about Mark Evonitz and that was that he worked at a jiffy lube .I trying to locate a missing person information about a guy who went missing either in stafford where he worked at jiffylube, or from where he lived in woodbridge . I cant find a link for what I am looking for and cannot remember the name of the man. Anyway I believe he went missing with his small black truck. I do not know what Jiffy Lube Evonitz work for . Odd though.

Another anniversary has recently passed in this case. Here is the usual appeal for information:

Police seeking information on 1996 death related to ‘Route 29 Stalker’

Here are details from the article posted above:

NBC12 Newsroom | March 5, 2019 at 1:56 PM EST - Updated March 5 at 2:39 PM

CULPEPER, VA (WWBT) - More than 20 years has passed since Alicia Showalter Reynolds was killed while driving on Route 29.

Part of the “Route 29 Stalker” disappearances, Reynolds’ went missing March 2, 1996. Her remains were found two months later in a recently cleared field in Lignum.

[ 20 years later, Alicia Showalter Reynolds' murder remains a mystery ]

Reynolds was 25 years old at the time of her death and was a graduate student. She was traveling from Baltimore, MD, to Charlottesville when she disappeared.

Virginia State Police have followed more than 10,000 leads in the years since her disappearance to no avail.

NBC12 Newsroom | March 5, 2019 at 1:56 PM EST - Updated March 5 at 2:39 PM

CULPEPER, VA (WWBT) - More than 20 years has passed since Alicia Showalter Reynolds was killed while driving on Route 29.

Part of the “Route 29 Stalker” disappearances, Reynolds’ went missing March 2, 1996. Her remains were found two months later in a recently cleared field in Lignum.

[ 20 years later, Alicia Showalter Reynolds' murder remains a mystery ]

Reynolds was 25 years old at the time of her death and was a graduate student. She was traveling from Baltimore, MD, to Charlottesville when she disappeared.

Virginia State Police have followed more than 10,000 leads in the years since her disappearance to no avail.

NP7UKV4V4BHETHBJO7WX4T72IU.jpg

Alicia Showalter Reynolds (Source: Virginia State Police)
According to witnesses, Reynolds’ white Mercury Tracer parked on the shoulder of Route 29 when a white male approximately 35 to 45 years old with a medium build and light to medium brown hair was stopped with her vehicle. The man was described as between 5-foot-10 and 6 feet tall driving a dark colored pick-up truck, possibly a green Nissan.

Following Reynolds’ death, several other people said a man matching that description had tried to stop them along Route 29 in Culpeper County.

VSP continues to investigate the case and encourages anyone with information to call 1-800-572-2260 or 1-888-300-0156 or email bci-culpeper@vsp.virginia.gov.

Copyright 2019 WWBT. All rights reserved.

I think the state police would do well to release a map with all the attempted stops in those 3 months. I think the whole picture would show it was not a rt 29 stalker ,but a murderer with a large area.

I also think this guy changed his MO after Alicia's murder because the whole state was hyper aware . I still think the Amy Baker case might be connected to this case.

Here is another video about the case. It is a few years old but although not nice to see has some footage of the crime scene from 1996:

I think the state police would do well to release a map with all the attempted stops in those 3 months. I think the whole picture would show it was not a rt 29 stalker ,but a murderer with a large area.

I also think this guy changed his MO after Alicia's murder because the whole state was hyper aware . I still think the Amy Baker case might be connected to this case.

Recently I saw a map that depicted all of the places along 29 that the 20 women reported being stopped throughout January of 1996. This alone is totally mind boggling to me. It was concentrated from Reva to Warrenton, but there was one stop between Ruckersville and Charlottesville. If I see the map again I will definitely post it here.

I would imagine that the Route 29 stalker did not restrict himself to Route 29. It could be that he lived in Culpeper, as it was the town at the epicenter of the 20 attempts to get the women to pull their cars over because of sparks.

Thanks Soulmagent, I didn't know about the Amy Baker case. After reading up on it I agree that it seems like it could be connected to Alicia's. I wonder if Amy's car was truly disabled, or was Amy made to believe her vehicle was having an issue, similar to the 29 stalker.

Of course there have been a number of crimes along Route 29 in Virginia by a number of offenders. Touch wood this seems to have slowed down over the last couple of years. There are many unsolved cases in Virginia and the victims relatives still do not have answers. People actually thought there was a Serial Killer operating out of Virginia and to paraphrase Bill Thomas whose sister was a victim of the Colonial Parkway Killer 'it appears you can commit a murder in the Commonwealth Of Virginia and get away with it':

Route 29 Stalker and Disappearances : UnresolvedMysteries

Of course there have been a number of crimes along Route 29 in Virginia by a number of offenders. Touch wood this seems to have slowed down over the last couple of years. There are many unsolved cases in Virginia and the victims relatives still do not have answers. People actually thought there was a Serial Killer operating out of Virginia and to paraphrase Bill Thomas whose sister was a victim of the Colonial Parkway Killer 'it appears you can commit a murder in the Commonwealth Of Virginia and get away with it':

Route 29 Stalker and Disappearances : UnresolvedMysteries

Amy Baker's case was not a rt 29 case. People know there were more than one murderer in Virginia.I am not sure what this post was supposed to be about but it appeared to me you have not looked at Amy Bakers case and just lumped it into another rt 29 case ,when the truth is there was no rt 29 stalker. Just a guy driving around looking for opportunity when he had the time. Just like the CPK.

Amy Baker's case was not a rt 29 case. People know there were more than one murderer in Virginia.I am not sure what this post was supposed to be about but it appeared to me you have not looked at Amy Bakers case and just lumped it into another rt 29 case ,when the truth is there was no rt 29 stalker. Just a guy driving around looking for opportunity when he had the time. Just like the CPK.

Thanks for the post. You are right I have not really studied the Amy Baker case so I not really specifically about her. I have to be honest and say I do not really understand your post and the logic behind it. All I did was post a reddit link with information about the cases including the Route 29 Stalker case which is what this thread is about. Bottom line this case is still unsolved years after it was committed and there were an unusual number of crimes along the Route 29 Corridor and in Virginia up to about 2010. I have a suspect in this case who I believe is the best suspect and was a Serial Killer from Virginia and that was Ralph Leon Jackson. I am not saying he committed all these crimes but it is my belief he was the most prolific Serial Killer in US history. I disagree with you in the fact there was a Route 29 Stalker and he killed Alicia Showalter-Reynolds. Anyway it is good to see different opinions.

Thanks for the post. You are right I have not really studied the Amy Baker case so I not really specifically about her. I have to be honest and say I do not really understand your post and the logic behind it. All I did was post a reddit link with information about the cases including the Route 29 Stalker case which is what this thread is about. Bottom line this case is still unsolved years after it was committed and there were an unusual number of crimes along the Route 29 Corridor and in Virginia up to about 2010. I have a suspect in this case who I believe is the best suspect and was a Serial Killer from Virginia and that was Ralph Leon Jackson. I am not saying he committed all these crimes but it is my belief he was the most prolific Serial Killer in US history. I disagree with you in the fact there was a Route 29 Stalker and he killed Alicia Showalter-Reynolds. Anyway it is good to see different opinions.

I think the whole point behind my post was that you didn't read about the Amy Baker case. I offered new( to you) information and you discard it "of course there have been a number of crimes along 29".

As for the reddit link.. I thought they were not allowable here.
The fbi does have Dna from ASR's case. My honest conclusion is if it were RLJ they would have made that match by now.I also believe the Anne McDaniel case has found Dna

I don't want to get into post wars with you I just think you need to see more than RLJ.

I think the whole point behind my post was that you didn't read about the Amy Baker case. I offered new( to you) information and you discard it "of course there have been a number of crimes along 29".

As for the reddit link.. I thought they were not allowable here.
The fbi does have Dna from ASR's case. My honest conclusion is if it were RLJ they would have made that match by now.I also believe the Anne McDaniel case has found Dna

I don't want to get into post wars with you I just think you need to see more than RLJ.

Thanks for the interest and post and information about the case sorry if my post came over as a bit off and I will look that post up. Sorry to mention him again but I have to be clear and it is important. I think the FBI know exactly who Ralph Jackson is and have done so for years and there are many DNA hits on him and as of yet since 2010 the FBI have still not identified him to the victims relatives in these cases. In fact he was always going to be 'cleared' first by the FBI in many of his cases because of who he was. Saying that I do believe people are honestly working the cases but the delays in his identification will have to be addressed. As I say again thanks for the interest and I will look that case up.

Recently I saw a map that depicted all of the places along 29 that the 20 women reported being stopped throughout January of 1996. This alone is totally mind boggling to me. It was concentrated from Reva to Warrenton, but there was one stop between Ruckersville and Charlottesville. If I see the map again I will definitely post it here.

I would imagine that the Route 29 stalker did not restrict himself to Route 29. It could be that he lived in Culpeper, as it was the town at the epicenter of the 20 attempts to get the women to pull their cars over because of sparks.

Here is the article with the map you are talking about:
Cold Case? Alicia Showalter Reynolds & the fall and rise of Darrell Rice

Thanks for the interest and post and information about the case sorry if my post came over as a bit off and I will look that post up. Sorry to mention him again but I have to be clear and it is important. I think the FBI know exactly who Ralph Jackson is and have done so for years and there are many DNA hits on him and as of yet since 2010 the FBI have still not identified him to the victims relatives in these cases. In fact he was always going to be 'cleared' first by the FBI in many of his cases because of who he was. Saying that I do believe people are honestly working the cases but the delays in his identification will have to be addressed. As I say again thanks for the interest and I will look that case up.

So that I understand better, could you elaborate on the DNA hits and why he would be cleared because of 'who he was'?

So that I understand better, could you elaborate on the DNA hits and why he would be cleared because of 'who he was'?

Thanks for your interest. I have more or less finished posting my theories about Ralph Jackson. I still believe that the FBI who have spent many hours working his cases will do the right thing. As I say I am not going to continue to post about him but will still post on cases I have an interest in and think I know a fair bit about. By who he is I mean in my opinion he is the real life Michael Myers a wicked Serial Killer above Hollywood's imagination. As I thanks for the interest and I hope these cases get solved for the victims.

Thanks for your interest. I have more or less finished posting my theories about Ralph Jackson. I still believe that the FBI who have spent many hours working his cases will do the right thing. As I say I am not going to continue to post about him but will still post on cases I have an interest in and think I know a fair bit about. By who he is I mean in my opinion he is the real life Michael Myers a wicked Serial Killer above Hollywood's imagination. As I thanks for the interest and I hope these cases get solved for the victims.

Thank you for the reply. I just started seriously investigating this case last week and appreciate any and all information.

Thank you! You totally found that map!!!! I tried and tried to find it again.

Please folks, check out the "Cold Case? Alicia Showalter Reynolds.." link a four posts earlier in VAGenealogist's post. It is an article in the Charlottesville Hook. Scroll to almost the bottom of the article and look at that map of where the stalker stopped the women!!!!!

Thank you! You totally found that map!!!! I tried and tried to find it again.

Please folks, check out the "Cold Case? Alicia Showalter Reynolds.." link a four posts earlier in VAGenealogist's post. It is an article in the Charlottesville Hook. Scroll to almost the bottom of the article and look at that map of where the stalker stopped the women!!!!!

I am trying to contact the author of the article to find more detailed information for the locations of the stops on the map. I’d like to create a more detailed, focused map of the stops.

We already know there have been multiple attackers / murderers at work in the stretch of Route 29 from Lovingston in Nelson County to Prince William County over a 20 year time period. I think the overlapping geographical area of these multiple persons combined with so many unsolved cases have caused a lot of issues. Here are the cases I've found so far.

Timeline:

1. date unknown, Jan, 1996, 4pm - Route 29 stalker stop, Culpeper Co.
2. Jan. 17, 1996, 11:30am - Route 29 stalker stop, Culpeper Co.
3. Feb. 12, 1996, 6am - Route 29 stalker stop, Culpeper Co.
4. Feb. 14, 1996, 11:50am - Route 29 stalker stop, Culpeper Co.
5. Feb. 14, 1996, 6-6:30pm - Route 29 stalker stop, Culpeper Co.
6. Feb. 16, 1996, 5-5:30am - Route 29 stalker stop, Culpeper Co.
7. Betw. Feb. 17 and 21, 1996 6:40am - Route 29 stalker stop, Culpeper Co.
8. Feb. 21, 1996, 3:15pm - Route 29 stalker stop, Culpeper Co.
9. Feb. 21, 1996, 8:30pm - Route 29 stalker stop, Culpeper Co.
10. Feb. 22, 1996, 7-7:15am - Route 29 stalker stop, Culpeper Co.
11. Feb. 22, 1996, 7:30-7:45am - Route 29 stalker stop, Culpeper Co.
12. Feb. 23, 1996, 7:12-7:15am - Route 29 stalker stop, Culpeper Co.
13. Feb. 24, 1996, 12:30am - Route 234, Prince William County
  • Carmelita Shomo pulled over for man flashing lights as she drove from Manassas (city) home to Quantico, VA (Prince William Co)
  • Accepted a ride after being told something wrong with her car
  • Eventually man grabbed her neck, she fought back, he told her to get out and pushed her to open truck door, briefly dragged, broke ankle
  • Shomo picked Darrell Rice from police line up; defense attorneys said she later named Richard Evonitz
14. Feb. 24, 1996, 2-2:15am - Route 29 stalker stop, Culpeper Co.
15. Feb. 24, 1996, 4:30am - Route 29 stalker stop, Culpeper Co.
16. Feb. 24, 1996, 7:20am - Route 29 stalker stop, Culpeper Co.
17. Feb. 26 or 28, 1996, 6:45am - Route 29 stalker stop, Culpeper Co.
18. Feb. 26, 1996, 2pm - Route 29 stalker stop, Culpeper Co.
19. Feb. 28, 1996, 6:45am - Route 29 stalker stop, Culpeper Co.
20. Feb. 28, 1996, 12:30-12:45pm - Route 29 stalker stop, Culpeper Co.
21. Feb. 29, 1996, 6:15pm - Route 29 stalker stop, Culpeper Co.
22. March 2, 1996, 10:30am - Route 29 stalker stop, Culpeper Co.
23. March 2, 10-10:30am, 1996 - Route 29 stalker stop, Culpeper Co.
  • Alicia Showalter Reynolds disappears
  • Remains found May, 15 miles away in Lignum, VA (Culpeper Co.)
24. May, 1996 - Shenandoah National Park murders
  • Julianne Williams and Laura ‘Lollie’ Winans found dead at campsite off Skyline Drive
  • Unsure of which county bodies found it at this time
  • Darrell Rice was suspected but later cleared; DNA evidence exists for two unknown males
25. July 14, 1996 - Lignum, VA (Culpeper Co.)
  • Thelma Scroggins, 74, found shot dead in her home near Lignum, VA
  • Two teenagers arrested, one confessed but later recanted, convicted but federal judge threw out case
26. Sept. 9, 1996 - Spotsylvania Co.
  • Sofia Silva, 16, abducted from front steps of home
  • Body recovered in Oct., 1996 in King George Co.
  • Case linked to Richard Evonitz
27. Sept. 18, 1996 - Orange Co.
  • Anne Carolyn McDaniel last seen leaving group home where she lived
  • Burned and bound remains found Sept. 22 off State Route 723 near Lignum
28. May 1, 1997 - Spotsylvania Co.
  • Kristin Lisk, 15, and Kati Lisk, 12, abducted from home
  • Bodies recovered May 6, 1997 in Hanover Co.
29. July 9, 1997 - specific county unknown at this time
  • Yvonne Malbasha was riding bike on Skyline Drive
  • Darrell Rice admits to pulling off road, removing license plates, following her, trying to force her into truck - Malbasha held on to bike so he couldn’t force her in - Rice left scene, stopped and put license plates back on
  • Rice convicted and spent 11 years in prison

Then the next case jumps ahead to 2009...

We already know there have been multiple attackers / murderers at work in the stretch of Route 29 from Lovingston in Nelson County to Prince William County over a 20 year time period. I think the overlapping geographical area of these multiple persons combined with so many unsolved cases have caused a lot of issues. Here are the cases I've found so far.

Timeline:

1. date unknown, Jan, 1996, 4pm - Route 29 stalker stop, Culpeper Co.
2. Jan. 17, 1996, 11:30am - Route 29 stalker stop, Culpeper Co.
3. Feb. 12, 1996, 6am - Route 29 stalker stop, Culpeper Co.
4. Feb. 14, 1996, 11:50am - Route 29 stalker stop, Culpeper Co.
5. Feb. 14, 1996, 6-6:30pm - Route 29 stalker stop, Culpeper Co.
6. Feb. 16, 1996, 5-5:30am - Route 29 stalker stop, Culpeper Co.
7. Betw. Feb. 17 and 21, 1996 6:40am - Route 29 stalker stop, Culpeper Co.
8. Feb. 21, 1996, 3:15pm - Route 29 stalker stop, Culpeper Co.
9. Feb. 21, 1996, 8:30pm - Route 29 stalker stop, Culpeper Co.
10. Feb. 22, 1996, 7-7:15am - Route 29 stalker stop, Culpeper Co.
11. Feb. 22, 1996, 7:30-7:45am - Route 29 stalker stop, Culpeper Co.
12. Feb. 23, 1996, 7:12-7:15am - Route 29 stalker stop, Culpeper Co.
13. Feb. 24, 1996, 12:30am - Route 234, Prince William County
  • Carmelita Shomo pulled over for man flashing lights as she drove from Manassas (city) home to Quantico, VA (Prince William Co)
  • Accepted a ride after being told something wrong with her car
  • Eventually man grabbed her neck, she fought back, he told her to get out and pushed her to open truck door, briefly dragged, broke ankle
  • Shomo picked Darrell Rice from police line up; defense attorneys said she later named Richard Evonitz
14. Feb. 24, 1996, 2-2:15am - Route 29 stalker stop, Culpeper Co.
15. Feb. 24, 1996, 4:30am - Route 29 stalker stop, Culpeper Co.
16. Feb. 24, 1996, 7:20am - Route 29 stalker stop, Culpeper Co.
17. Feb. 26 or 28, 1996, 6:45am - Route 29 stalker stop, Culpeper Co.
18. Feb. 26, 1996, 2pm - Route 29 stalker stop, Culpeper Co.
19. Feb. 28, 1996, 6:45am - Route 29 stalker stop, Culpeper Co.
20. Feb. 28, 1996, 12:30-12:45pm - Route 29 stalker stop, Culpeper Co.
21. Feb. 29, 1996, 6:15pm - Route 29 stalker stop, Culpeper Co.
22. March 2, 1996, 10:30am - Route 29 stalker stop, Culpeper Co.
23. March 2, 10-10:30am, 1996 - Route 29 stalker stop, Culpeper Co.
  • Alicia Showalter Reynolds disappears
  • Remains found May, 15 miles away in Lignum, VA (Culpeper Co.)
24. May, 1996 - Shenandoah National Park murders
  • Julianne Williams and Laura ‘Lollie’ Winans found dead at campsite off Skyline Drive
  • Unsure of which county bodies found it at this time
  • Darrell Rice was suspected but later cleared; DNA evidence exists for two unknown males
25. July 14, 1996 - Lignum, VA (Culpeper Co.)
  • Thelma Scroggins, 74, found shot dead in her home near Lignum, VA
  • Two teenagers arrested, one confessed but later recanted, convicted but federal judge threw out case
26. Sept. 9, 1996 - Spotsylvania Co.
  • Sofia Silva, 16, abducted from front steps of home
  • Body recovered in Oct., 1996 in King George Co.
27. Sept. 18, 1996 - Orange Co.
  • Anne Carolyn McDaniel last seen leaving group home where she lived
  • Burned and bound remains found Sept. 22 off State Route 723 near Lignum
28. May 1, 1997 - Spotsylvania Co.
  • Kristin Lisk, 15, and Kati Lisk, 12, abducted from home
  • Bodies recovered May 6, 1997 in Hanover Co.
29. July 9, 1997 - specific county unknown at this time
  • Yvonne Malbasha was riding bike on Skyline Drive
  • Darrell Rice admits to pulling off road, removing license plates, following her, trying to force her into truck - Malbasha held on to bike so he couldn’t force her in - Rice left scene, stopped and put license plates back on
  • Rice convicted and spent 11 years in prison

Then the next case jumps ahead to 2009...

Thanks for the information. Interesting how there were many stops before the murder. There is a map of the attacks which I cannot find at the moment which shows he struck close to Quantico which I find rather ironic as in my opinion the FBI have had such trouble with him and struggled to get many of their profiles right in his cases.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back