New Zealand - Christchurch Mosque shooting, dead & injured reported, 15 March 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. it is the first time i posted this video

2. It is relevant because the killer name checked owens

3. other posters keep strawmanning this. No one is saying she "inspired the massacre". Rather wingnuts will co-opt careless hitler talk.
You have used the same "clutch your pearls" statement. Owens has disavowed any of this. The Australian paper that ran its opinion piece on her the other day took her words WAY out of context and I suspect she may be zeroing in on them for it. CO has no connection to this killing other than this killer apparently misunderstood what CO believes in. Lets move on. The continued mentioning of her name with this killing is clearly only a thinly veiled attack on her and her beliefs.

The only person who wants to connect the mass murder to race is the suspect, and the less attention given to his ridiculous words, the less credibility he has.

Common sense indicates that this mass murder was related to religion. He killed praying people in a religious building. The people who were praying are considered to be Caucasian. It's a bit absurd to accept his stupid ideas and view the killing of praying Caucasians as a race thing.

Perhaps that’s an oversimplified take. That said ... Yes, the NZ shooter’s far right extremist ideology was also anti-ethnic and anti-Islamic.

In the context of the NZ shooting, the victims are also immigrants and refugees.

They are from Jordan, Afghanistan, Pakistan, India, Bangladesh, Syria, Palestine, United Arab Emirates, Jakarta, Telangana, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Somalia, Jordan, etc.

It’s well documented that the shooter is a white nationalist, and that his beliefs are also anti-Islam, anti-immigrant, and anti-multiculturalist.

Last edited:
The accused gunman of the Christchurch terror attack is being denied access to newspapers, television and radio while being held in segregation.

Denying him access to media outlets would prevent him accessing media reports about the massacre committed on Friday afternoon.

In a statement to the Herald, Corrections said the 28-year-old accused, Brenton Tarrant, was being held under 24-hour surveillance and no visitors have been approved to see him while he was in segregation.

"He is being managed in accordance with the provisions set out in the Corrections Act 2004 and our international obligations for the treatment of prisoners. At this time he has no access to television, radio or newspapers and no approved visitors."

The Herald understands the alleged gunman has been moved from Christchurch to the country's only maximum security prison in Auckland.

Accused gunman in Christchurch terror attacks denied newspaper, television and radio access

I suspect prosecution will run a stripped down trial - I think we have already seen signs of that with only one representative murder charge to date

IMO they are going to hit him with 50 murders and likely ask for consecutive sentences, but have the bare minimum of evidence

After all, they have him on video doing a lot of murders so a skeleton crew of witnesses will be sufficient.

Dear mrjitty,

I absolutely agree with you, especially after reading the statements from Ross Burns, who has had experience with a trial concerning terrorism.

"Former Crown prosecutor Ross Burns, who led the 'Operation 8 case' after the 2007 raids, said charging Tarrant with murder - but not terrorism - would curb his ability to grandstand."

"Using terror laws against him could fuel his ability to grandstand in court, according to the only lawyer to lead a case under New Zealand's anti-terrorism law."

"A document Tarrant purportedly published online before the shootings cited a desire to plead not guilty, and he reportedly plans to represent himself."

Why mosque killer could end up never answering terror charges

The fallout for kiwis looks to be twin track. I think despite Jacinda's rhetoric that this won't change us, in reality there will be far reaching consequences.

Gordon Campbell on what effective changes to our gun law and to the SIS, would look like – werewolf

Gordon Campbell on what effective changes to our gun law and to the SIS, would look like

Already, the government has signalled that its response to the Christchurch mosque shootings will proceed on two main fronts (a) changes to the gun laws (b) changes to the current surveillance behaviours of the Police and the SIS. So… what would a programme of action look like in those two areas, given that the aim must be to protect the innocent via new measures that do the least possible harm to the existing rights of the law-abiding? All of us surely, have a stake in searching for a consensus on how to proceed.

Re: NZ shooter’s ideology:

“One core of fascism that hasn’t changed is this creation of a sense of emergency around whiteness,” Ben-Ghiat says. “If we don’t understand that racism was embedded in fascism from the start, we are getting an incomplete picture.”

What Historians of Fascism Think About the Suspected New Zealand Shooter's Declaration of Extremism

What I find so tragic is I was walking round central Christchurch before the shooting and really marvelling at how it had changed and become so multi-kulti with so few problems. I only go back every few years so the changes jump out.

As a boy in the mid 80s, my high school year of 250 had exactly 3 kids who weren't white. My goodness how that has changed. But not just immigration, NZ really oriented itself as a global trader, with big focus on Asia. Christchurch has evolved out of sight from the boring place it was in the 80s. Before the quakes it was a major tourist destination - only just rebuilding now

Yes there have been troubles, but actually the main one has been the foreign ownership of housing - especially in auckland.

Going back I was struck once more by just how friendly and laid back everyone is compared to say London

That is part of what makes this so horrific - because it was done to us - and not by one of us.

So like many kiwis I struggled as to how the hell to explain all this to my young kids as I kept them away from TV and the newspapers so as not to terrify them.

There are no words, but just a sense of pride in how everyday kiwis have reacted.

I have decided to make this my last post about the Christchurch attacks

Kia kaha

Last edited:
1. It was @BayouBelle_LA who posted new comments from Candace - I responded to them, because I find her comments self serving. Clearly she learned nothing.

2. I agree the killer co-opted her. That is what I have posted twice (only)

3. I have no idea what her beliefs are, and would be happy for posters to stop mentioning her. As far as I am aware no one in NZ things she is responsible.
I linked an article as it relates to this thread. She can defend herself against claims that she inspired the NZ mosque attack.

https://gizmodo.com/18-year-old-arrested-in-new-zealand-for-sharing-terrori-1833402190

Teen accused of sharing video of Christchurch terror attack denied bail

NZ isn’t playing around! Wow. He could face up to 14 years in jail.

“The teen faces two charges: one of sharing the live-stream and a second for posting a photograph of one of the mosque's attacked with the message ‘target acquired’ along with other chat messages ‘inciting extreme violence’.”
The video has been classed as ‘objectionable’ material so I guess it’s the same now as sharing something like child *advertiser censored*. Seems fair to me, share a gruesome video of innocent people being slaughtered.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

What I find so tragic is I was walking round central Christchurch before the shooting and really marvelling at how it had changed and become so multi-kulti with so few problems. I only go back every few years so the changes jump out.

As a boy in the mid 80s, my high school year of 250 had exactly 3 kids who weren't white. My goodness how that has changed. But not just immigration, NZ really oriented itself as a global trader, with big focus on Asia. Christchurch has evolved out of sight from the boring place it was in the 80s. Before the quakes it was a major tourist destination - only just rebuilding now

Yes there have been troubles, but actually the main one has been the foreign ownership of housing - especially in auckland.

Going back I was struck once more by just how friendly and laid back everyone is compared to say London

That is part of what makes this so horrific - because it was done to us - and not by one of us.

So like many kiwis I struggled as to how the hell to explain all this to my young kids as I kept them away from TV and the newspapers so as not to terrify them.

There are no words, but just a sense of pride in how everyday kiwis have reacted.

I have decided to make this my last post about the Christchurch attacks

Kia kaha

Dear mrjitty,

This will be my last post as well on this thread until the trial begins.

Thank you so much for your insightful and deeply compassionate posts.

I learned so much from you, especially about the stellar people who live in New Zealand. I can absolutely see how you feel such pride for everyone there, especially how the communities came together to support the grieving loved ones.

Namaste,
Zen

For anyone who missed Tricia's earlier post, please READ THIS:

If you denounce any belief on this thread how is your denouncing a fact of this case? What if someone disagrees with your stand? They will then post as to why they disagree with you. What does this have to do with the direct facts of the case? Nothing. All it does is cause off-topic discussions and problems.

If the facts are the person behind this calls himself a "white supremacist" then you can discuss. What you can't discuss is why people are white supremacists, whose fault it is, how do we fix it, and so on.

It is being reported that one of the shooters did announce his admiration for Trump but my friends, we cannot discuss why this terrorist likes Trump. We cannot discuss Trump and politics in this thread. If you want to keep Websleuths up and running we need to keep Trump and politics out of this thread. Let's stick to the facts of the case.

We have a simple rule and that is stick to the facts of this case. It is taking me literally hours to remove the political and debates and more.

Reminder: You cannot discuss moderation in a post.

Thank you.

Your information is not correct

New Zealand is an advanced western economy with a highly rated criminal justice system.

All accused have access to legal representation via legal aid.
I put the link where it says you have to pay back the legal aid.

Anyone who testifies at a trial can be cross-examined. The accused no longer has a lawyer and is planning to represent himself. If relatives of the victims were present inside or outside the mosques and testify as to what they witnessed or heard, the accused is entitled to cross-examine them. He has the right to challenge anything they say.
Can you imagine how traumatizing that would be? You survive the horror and you have to answer questions from the monster who created the horror? That is so wrong.

I suspect prosecution will run a stripped down trial - I think we have already seen signs of that with only one representative murder charge to date

IMO they are going to hit him with 50 murders and likely ask for consecutive sentences, but have the bare minimum of evidence

After all, they have him on video doing a lot of murders so a skeleton crew of witnesses will be sufficient.
Doesn't the defense have the right to call witnesses in NZ?

From what I read, prisoners don't get a taxpayer paid defense lawyer, they get a bill. Lots of people defend themselves in court to stop bankrupting their family members. They have that right, so I guess he will be defending himself. Going to court without a lawyer | New Zealand Ministry of Justice
I'm pretty sure the reason he is defending himself is so that he can get up in open court, with a captive audience and ramble on and spew his crap. If he has a lawyer, he really doesn't get to do that. And its not like having a criminal defense attorney is really going to do him any good. I'm sure the prosecutor would MUCH rather he had an attorney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni