Nationwide College Cheating Scandal - Actresses, Business Owners Charged, Mar 2019 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right here proves that Olivia knew and was in on the scam:

The affidavit stated that "on or about December 12, 2017, Laughlin e-mailed [Singer], copying Gianulli and their younger daughter, to request guidance on how to complete the formal USC application in the wake of her daughter’s provisional acceptance as a recruited athlete."

Lori Loughlin's Daughter Olivia Jade Allegedly Didn't Fill Out Her Own USC Application

I agree. And, I think the parents were struggling with a child who was refusing to do anything for a college process that she did not want to participate in. At the very least, this young woman knew that someone was signing her name on applications. At most she was complicit in all of it. We know she was not invested in this process. Then, we need to know when she turned 18.

As far as we know, none of the students have been charged with anything, correct? I wonder if the US Attorneys just think their involvement was too minor, OR if they are holding those potential charges as leverage to secure guilty pleas from the parents.

As far as we know, none of the students have been charged with anything, correct? I wonder if the US Attorneys just think their involvement was too minor, OR if they are holding those potential charges as leverage to secure guilty pleas from the parents.

I think the students haven't been charged because they weren't the individuals who actually sent money. I think that is why William H. Macy is not a defendant, he was privy to information about doctoring the oldest daughter's SAT scores but it was Huffman who responded to emails with Singer and signed the check. I think when Huffman wanted to do the same with the second child, Macy put a stop to it. MOO

Also, I imagine Olivia signed her college application, but just didn't fill it out or prepare the essay. MOO

She did pose for pictures on a rowing machine in order to get in through the athletic department at USC. FACT

Correct. Some parents had said they didn't want their students to know--they did surreptitious things in testing and applying in the "side door" schemes.

I think student age at the time of the crimes would factor. Most doing the SAT cheating would have been under 18. Most during the certification of disability were probably under 18. It would be hard to not hold students accountable in the application process if they participated in the fraud of being an athlete but they may not have been over 18 at the time of application. Singer had them "side door" applying early in their senior years so many probably would not yet be 18. I also think the feds know that expulsion and the college's responses would be enough punishment.

I do wonder if they went after the children if the parents would be more interested in protecting their kids rather than cooperating.

Also, I imagine Olivia signed her college application, but just didn't fill it out or prepare the essay. MOO

Most applications today are submitted electronically directly to the college or through the common app*. Remember Singer transmitted the initial "athlete" files for the parents and the parents did not pay directly to the college in most cases. If they had her log-in, the proxy person would have been able to do the whole application and submit it. With my students, I have their log-ins saved in a locked file, in case they forget their log-in. It would be possible for me to log-in as them if I was so inclined, which is why I am so incredibly careful as their counselor.

* USC is a common app school. Students create a common app profile. All docs needed are uploaded by counselor. Student uploads essay and all information. Each application must be submitted electronically through the account.

Last edited:
Most applications today are submitted electronically directly to the college or through the common app*. Remember Singer transmitted the initial "athlete" files for the parents and the parents did not pay directly to the college in most cases. If they had her log-in, the proxy person would have been able to do the whole application and submit it. With my students, I have their log-ins saved in a locked file, in case they forget their log-in. It would be possible for me to log-in as them if I was so inclined, which is why I am so incredibly careful as their counselor.

* USC is a common app school. Students create a common app profile. All docs needed are uploaded by counselor. Student uploads essay and all information. Each application must be submitted electronically through the account.
So I am guessing that the student's actual involvement in the application process would be difficult to prove. Much of the applications were probably being done by Singer's people since they knew what they were doing. Students were just along for the ride. I would love to know how many of these kids have already withdrawn, or if they are now trying to buckle down and study. How many of them were actually trying to do the best they could in school vs. just skating by.

Ah yes, I forgot that the applications are now online. Thanks.

Well, I think she juggled schoolwork and vlogging by dropping the schoolwork. Much easier to juggle one thing at a time, lol.

The thing is, I don't look down on her vlogging. It's not my cup of tea and I see it purely as long-form commercials, but I'm not her audience either. I think her topics are shallow and uninteresting, but from what I've seen of her vlogs, I can see the appeal for her viewers. It seems like she REALLY likes vlogging, and I tend to encourage people to do what they really like. It's a sad case because she actually had an interest and passion....and that was essentially ruined by this scandal. I wish more young people had passions to follow (rather than follow shallow vloggers.....teens, go do your own interesting things!).

jmo
I agree. Olivia seemed passionate about her vlogging and was making an income from doing it. It does seem like her parents pushed the college thing on her.

I would guess the girls were aware that they were posing as crew team members to get into school, but probably didn't think it was that big of a deal. If mom and dad are saying, "Look, you're going to USC, and you're getting in on the crew team, so smile, take some pics, don't advertise it, and you don't have to do it once you get there." I would think that's a tough position to put your kid in. Especially if they really don't care about going to school at all. I would think even at 18, you trust that your parents know the deal and if they say this is the way you get into school... would every kid in that position really argue with their parents? I don't know that they really have the depth and morals to grasp how wrong and fraudulent this was. I think some of it may be just not questioning what they were told to do, rather than being an active participant. It's not like Olivia was dying to go to this school. I'm not sure that they would ever expect that their parents would be putting them in this position or committing actual crimes on their behalf.

I'm sure the girls knew there was some sort of scam. I don't know that anyone has said they didn't. I doubt they understood just how illegal it was. I think they just assumed that mom and dad pulled some strings. Olivia made no secret of the fact that she didn't even want to be in college at all and didn't intend to attend classes much.

I’m sort of the same.

They likely saw it as strings being pulled, some sort of (legitimate) donation being made, and a door opening. Sort of an “everyone does it” mentality.

Was the ruse going to continue once the daughters got to college - as in were their grades going to be altered there? Because snorkeling in the islands in lieu of studying won't get you As.
With Olivia, my guess would be that she wouldn't keep up with classes, would drop out of college, and simple continue making $$$ with her vlogging and product placements. At that point, the family would have achieved the "status" of getting her in the college and then could shrug and say - well, she can support herself without college so no need to continue because she's already brilliant in business!

As for the other kids - some of whom might actually want to be in college - no clue what they will do.

jmo

I agree. And, I think the parents were struggling with a child who was refusing to do anything for a college process that she did not want to participate in. At the very least, this young woman knew that someone was signing her name on applications. At most she was complicit in all of it. We know she was not invested in this process. Then, we need to know when she turned 18.
Didn't they do the same thing with the older sister too?

jmo

So I am guessing that the student's actual involvement in the application process would be difficult to prove. Much of the applications were probably being done by Singer's people since they knew what they were doing. Students were just along for the ride. I would love to know how many of these kids have already withdrawn, or if they are now trying to buckle down and study. How many of them were actually trying to do the best they could in school vs. just skating by.
Also, what prosecutor would go after the children and have the children explain that their parents made them commit crimes. That would make just about everyone uncomfortable to see. I think LE will stick with charges against the parents only.

jmo

A hold is not a good thing, but it's also easily lifted with the right approvals.

Will they be able to get their grades for the current semester with a hold?

jmo

They can simply apply fresh to another school. Forget any credits at another school, Start over

With Olivia, my guess would be that she wouldn't keep up with classes, would drop out of college, and simple continue making $$$ with her vlogging and product placements. At that point, the family would have achieved the "status" of getting her in the college and then could shrug and say - well, she can support herself without college so no need to continue because she's already brilliant in business!

As for the other kids - some of whom might actually want to be in college - no clue what they will do.

jmo
I'm really curious what the plan was. A couple days ago Alan Dershowitz was commenting on this and mentioned that 20 years ago this scam wouldn't have worked because the kids would have immediately flunked out since they were no where near being capable of passing at these schools. But now, professors are encouraged to not fail kids, and he mentioned something about professors even discouraged from giving C's. I think he is a Harvard Law professor. So if these kids had taken some easier major, they very well may have ended up with a degree.

I agree. And, I think the parents were struggling with a child who was refusing to do anything for a college process that she did not want to participate in. At the very least, this young woman knew that someone was signing her name on applications. At most she was complicit in all of it. We know she was not invested in this process. Then, we need to know when she turned 18. [bbm]

She turned 18 on 9/28/17 (DOB 9/28/99), about 2.5 months before the incriminating Dec email was CC'd to her by her mom. Will she be punished beyond public shaming?

Olivia Jade

I'm really curious what the plan was. A couple days ago Alan Dershowitz was commenting on this and mentioned that 20 years ago this scam wouldn't have worked because the kids would have immediately flunked out since they were no where near being capable of passing at these schools. But now, professors are encouraged to not fail kids, and he mentioned something about professors even discouraged from giving C's. I think he is a Harvard Law professor. So if these kids had taken some easier major, they very well may have ended up with a degree.

IMO, that's true, depending on the school, I think. My parents are professors at state universities, and before then, my dad taught at two Ivy league schools. At the state universities, depending on the class, there are guidelines to give a certain percentage of students A's, B's, C's, D's and even F's (and that has its own issues, because depending on the professor's stature at the school (s)he may ignore the guidelines, whereas lower-ranked professors are pressured to follow them), but at the Ivy league schools it was understood that anything under a C was basically off limits, and a C was like an F so not to be given often at all. So at the schools in question here, I suspect grades lower than B- are given out very rarely. Once in the Ivy leagues, they tend to protect their own.

Interesting!

Lori Loughlin and Felicity Huffman: Feds Considering Cutting Plea Deals, But Depends On Who Will Talk First

"Sources close to the case tell The Blast that prosecutors are seeking help to build the strongest case possible against as many defendants as they can find who committed crimes. We’re told they have already reached out to a number of suspects and whoever talks first, could get the best deal.

Prison time is definitely on the table and we’re told suspects are being encouraged to talk as soon as possible, and as give as much info as possible, to avoid ending up behind bars.

In this case, we’re told cooperating would include admitting wrongdoing and possibly taking a plea deal and helping prosecutors convict other people involved in the scam."

Stay tuned!

If they are going to be talking about others involved this can be a show "Lifestyles of the Felonious Rich and Famous"...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23