CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks geevee, i think the important thing for me is that personal belongings from the McStay home were missing, as well as the McStay family of course.
Is it true that all the towels from the home were missing as well? And bedding?

Yes, all the towels were missing, not sure about all the bedding, it was gone from the master bed when TE and Mike did the video some time after the disappearance (March?) but recently I read that SB and friend may have washed them when they were cleaning.

The fact that shop towels like what were found in the garage and painter's tape were found in the grave leads me to believe they were killed at home.

They based the opinion of "no towels" in the upstairs bathroom .... they didn't have the belonging's anymore because everything was sold by 2013, so all they had to go by was pictures. No they were not hung up in the bathroom... why? because the towel racks were not even up, they were renovating, the bathroom was taped off, mirror was off and in another bedroom, towel rack and toilet paper holder and newspaper was on the counter, it was being prepped for painting.

The bedding was also not taken off or missing. In the first photo's taken by Tingley on the 15th, the bedding was still on the air beds. This again, was something we were lead to believe in the early days/months/years. Partially because of the Tim Miller video's. I have included a snip from Day 4 Part 4 of the photo that Tingley took of the bedroom.

The shop towels photographed in the garage, were not opened. They did go through the photo's trying to 'match' the towel with the one found in the graves, which had a big sunflower on it, they were unable to do so.

If anyone wants to see it for themselves, it can be seen in Steer's earlier testimony. The bathroom photo's can be found around the 17:00 mark.

Attachments

• bedding feb 15.JPG
    bedding feb 15.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 19
Nor can I.
All I can think of is the innocent victims and their family members.
I live here in So. California and I pay Huge Taxes.
Huge.
Why these horrific murders are not front page daily news is scary to me.

The judge postponing trial for a dental appointment is scary to me.
Can we just focus on the innocent victims who were brutally. Brutally, murdered and I believe tortured ?

Can we just get into that? An entire family murdered.

This is not a small crime.

This is a frigging horrific crime.
Law enforcement has after years of research identified the killer.

Now, we have a justice system that cannot even do a 5 day trial without idiotic disruptions that go on for weeks on end.
God bless the victims here..
I would be manic if this was my family.
No disrespect to the wonderful families of Summer and Joey.
I am praying for justice.

I can't believe the trial is stalled again until next week, o_O

Nor can I.
All I can think of is the innocent victims and their family members.
I live here in So. California and I pay Huge Taxes.
Huge.
Why these horrific murders are not front page daily news is scary to me.

The judge postponing trial for a dental appointment is scary to me.
Can we just focus on the innocent victims who were brutally. Brutally, murdered and I believe tortured ?

Can we just get into that? An entire family murdered.

This is not a small crime.

This is a frigging horrific crime.
Law enforcement has after years of research identified the killer.

Now, we have a justice system that cannot even do a 5 day trial without idiotic disruptions that go on for weeks on end.
God bless the victims here..
I would be manic if this was my family.
No disrespect to the wonderful families of Summer and Joey.
I am praying for justice.
Totally agree with all you say Kali.
I have never seen anything like it before, :(

His DA, Maline, needs to find another career. The questioning of SB was so inept, it made me cringe. It also opened a rather devastating cross by the PA detailing another 15K or so grifted by her son's "close friend" Chase.

The defence promised all these amazing witnesses to prove DK gone done it, yet the've opened the batting with a parade of clown car testimony.

The first witness is where the jury attention is highest. You need to open as interesting as possible. Create your narrative.

Can it be they don't actually have amazing witnesses?

Or are they just so incompetent they can't get their heavy hitters on the schedule?

Embarassing.

A murderer is like a b-grade script writer, trying to write his first ever crime drama under huge psychological pressure.

For this reason, I find the wire tap evidence, the jail house tapes, and the police interviews completely fascinating, and the most incriminating of all.

An ordinary person, speaks from experiential memory and their dialogue represents their state of mind, and also reflects their emotional state.

Any script writer knows, realistic dialogue is one of the hardest things to script.

The killer on the other hand tends to be preoccupied with narrative. Because he is unsophisticated, he tends to write in a way that he thinks television or books tell stories. This preoccupation frequently causes him to forget to play his own role in the film. He is so busy directing the action, he forgets to give himself natural dialogue and actions.

Significantly this same mistake always extends to the victims. The killer will have lots of direction notes about the victim(s) but typically forget to craft them actual dialogue and actions that are experienced.

A high quality script writer, in essence takes the narrative, and brings it to life using action and quality dialogue.

A bad script writer brings the narrative to life via exposition.

Expository dialogue is dialogue that explains. At its rudest and crudest, expository dialogue takes the form of the infamous “as you know, Bob” conversation, in which one character tells another character something the other character already knows, with the first character then telling the second character he knows he knows it. (Yeah, it’s just as bad as it sounds.)

Real life doesn't use exposition. Yet Chase constantly uses it. And in his private moments, he forgets to have any dialogue at all. See for example the long responses from CJ filled with emotion, and stream of consciousness compared to his answers. Where is the dialogue of an innocent man? Where are his lived experiences and emotions?

This extends to Joey. We hear exposition (we talked about the business) but where is the rich detail? Where are actual quotes from Joey? What did Joey actually do and say? Where did he sit? What did he order? A quality screenwriter actual scripts this business meeting down to the sandwich order. A crappy one just gives you the cliffs notes.

This stuff is hardly the only errors but just to leave you with one more. (I call this the Foxy Special)

Real life does not have foreshadowing.

No one fights over the "last call" before they even know it's the last call

We have to use foreshadowing when scripting TV.

For goodness sakes don't use it in your murder :D

Last edited:
A murderer is like a b-grade script writer, trying to write his first ever crime drama under huge psychological pressure.

For this reason, I find the wire tap evidence, the jail house tapes, and the police interviews completely fascinating, and the most incriminating of all.

An ordinary person, speaks from experiential memory and their dialogue represents their state of mind, and also reflects their emotional state.

Any script writer knows, realistic dialogue is one of the hardest things to script.

The killer on the other hand tends to be preoccupied with narrative. Because he is unsophisticated, he tends to write in a way that he thinks television or books tell stories. This preoccupation frequently causes him to forget to play his own role in the film. He is so busy directing the action, he forgets to give himself natural dialogue and actions.

Significantly this same mistake always extends to the victims. The killer will have lots of direction notes about the victim(s) but typically forget to craft them actual dialogue and actions that are experienced.

A high quality script writer, in essence takes the narrative, and brings it to life using action and quality dialogue.

A bad script writer brings the narrative to life via exposition.

Real life doesn't use exposition. Yet Chase constantly uses it. And in his private moments, he forgets to have any dialogue at all. See for example the long responses from CJ filled with emotion, and stream of consciousness compared to his answers. Where is the dialogue of an innocent man? Where are his lived experiences and emotions?

This extends to Joey. We hear exposition (we talked about the business) but where is the rich detail? Where are actual quotes from Joey? What did Joey actually do and say? Where did he sit? What did he order? A quality screenwriter actual scripts this business meeting down to the sandwich order. A crappy one just gives you the cliff notes.

This stuff is hardly the only errors but just to leave you with one more. (I call this the Foxy Special)

Real life does not have foreshadowing.

No one fights over the "last call" before they even know it's the last call

We have to use foreshadowing when scripting TV.

For goodness sakes don't use it in your murder :D
Brilliant!!

This needs framing.

JMarsh said:
Joey didn't always start his calls early. If you work for yourself, the only way to vaca is to turn off your phone. And in the three months of phone logs I have of Joey's, it appears he did this at times. There are definite patterns.

Joey's first couple of morning calls - have them only starting on 1/27/10. Looks like he usually started about 8:20am or so, except for the Saturday & Sunday.

Wednesday, January 27, 2010
Joey’s calls:
8:24am – VM retrieval
8:25am - call from Joey to Patrick 53 min
9:19am – incoming call from Santaquin, UT

Thursday, January 28, 2010
Joey’s calls:
8:51am – call to CM 1 min
9:32am – call to St. Paul, MN
10:02am - call from Patrick to Joey 12 min

Friday, January 29, 2010
Joey’s calls:
7:37am – call to CM 8 min
8:25am – VM retrieval
8:28am – call to Lafayette, LA
8:31am – call to CM 37 min
9:08am – incoming call from EIP 15 min

Saturday, January 30, 2010
No business calls other than one call to Glass Co in VA.
10:41am – VM retrieval
10:47am – call to Phoenix, AZ

Sunday, January 31, 2010
11:11am - two texts and a one min call from Joey to Summer cell
11:43-45am - call from Summer cell to Joey
3:39pm – call to CM 8 min

Monday, February 1
Joseph makes business calls all morning
8:25am – call to CM 1 min
8:28am – call to CM 1 min

8:29am – VM retrieval
8:34am – 8:43am – business calls

Tuesday, February 2
Joey makes work calls 8am-4pm
8:36am - call from EIP to Joey 9 min
8:47am – call to CM 1 min
8:51am – incoming call from CM 3 min

8:54am – 10:27am – business calls / VM retrieval

Wednesday, February 3
Joey’s calls:
7:34am – call to Chase 1 min
7:40am - Summer calls Joey
8:35am – call to CM 3 min
8:38am – call to San Diego, CA
8:41am – incoming call from CM 5 min
8:55am – incoming call from CM 2 min

8:57am – 9:10am – business call / VM retrieval

Thursday, February 4th:
Joey’s calls:
8am – 4pm - Joey makes work calls
8:45am – 9:31am – business call / VM retrieval
9:36am – incoming call from EIP 22 min
9:40am – incoming call from CM 3 min
2/4/2010 Incoming 10:19 AM CM 909-374 = 4 min

I see on the videos from yesterday (3/19) say Day 32. How come I have Day 35??

KALI said:
snipped by me....

There is another trial starting jury selection and the Judge told them they will start at 9am and go until 7pm every day. Quite the difference from THIS trial!!

And you all seem to be surprised that court won't be again until March 27th. I've posted this in my description every day:

Schedule for week of 3/18: Mon. 3/18-early finish; Tues. 3/19-full trial day, Wed. 3/20-full trial day, Thurs. 3/21 & Fri. 3/22-Dark. NO COURT: March 25 (Monday), 26 (Tuesday), 3/27 (Wed) -afternoon session. Mar. 28th (Thursday), April 1 (Monday), 2 (Tuesday). April 3 (Wednesday)-Morning session only. Jurors informed they should have the case by end of April.

Just sayin' :)

So Joseph Steers was the ONLY witness yesterday?? Or are you going to make me listen to the audio.... TIA!!! :D

Strange I had a full day of trial today... Are we "sure" of Cathy's tweet that there is NO court today? I'm going to put "vacated" next to today's supposed court.

Wednesday, March 20th:
*Trial continues (Day 35)-vacated (@ 9:30m PT) - CA - McStay Family: Joseph (40), Summer (43), Gianni (4) & Joey Jr (3) (Feb. 4, 2010, Fallbrook; found Nov. 11, 2013) - *Charles "Chase" Ray Merritt (57/now 60) arrested (11/5/14) & indicted (11/7/14) of 4 counts of murder with special circumstance; plead not guilty. DP case.
Trial started 1/7/19. Dark on all Fridays. 12 jurors & 6 alternates were finalized on Tuesday (12/11/18). 8 women & 4 men, while the alternates include 4 men & 2 women.
See Trial Days 1 (1/7/19) thru 26 (2/28/18) links - reference post #541 here: CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #12
See Trial Days 27 (3/4/19) thru 30 (3/12/19) - reference post #171 here:
CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #13

3/13/19 Day 31: Judge Michael A. Smith is addressing the jury about Gov. Newsom's moratorium on death penalty, "It has no effect on this phase of the trial. Also don't consider that for any purpose. I will guide you on law." Defense witnesses: Sara Taylor Jarvis, Merritt's daughter. Catherine Jarvis, ex of Merritt's. Trial continues on 3/14.
3/14/19 Day 32: Defense witness: Catherine Jarvis. Trial continues to Monday, 3/18.
3/18/19 Day 33: Defense witness: Susan Blake. Trial continues to Tuesday, 3/19.
3/19/19 Day 34: Defense witnesses: Sgt. Joseph Steers. Court was in session for just 2 hours this morning. Next trial court date is Wednesday, 3/27 at 1:30pm. There is an “Other Hearing” on 3/26 @ 9am re Status of Subpoena duces tecum. Subpoena records received from San Antonio Reg. Hospital.
Schedule for week of 3/18: Mon. 3/18-early finish; Tues. 3/19-full trial day, Wed. 3/20-full trial day-vacated, Thurs. 3/21 & Fri. 3/22-Dark; Wed. 3/27-afternoon session. NO COURT: March 25 (Monday), 26 (Tuesday), 28th (Thursday), April 1 (Monday), 2 (Tuesday). April 3 (Wednesday)-Morning session only. Jurors informed they should have the case by end of April.

I see on the videos from yesterday (3/19) say Day 32. How come I have Day 35??
Ok I don't know where it started going wrong but I'll start from day 28 for you

Day 28 - Mar 12th - Eugene Liscio state witness
Day 29 - Mar 13th - Defense Case Opens - Taylor Jarvis & Catherine Jarvis
Day 30 - Mar 14th - Catherine Jarvis
Day 31 - Mar 18th - Susan Blake
Day 32 - Mar 19th - Sgt Joseph Steers & Alex Quick, DofJ, assigned to San Diego County Sheriffs Homicide

Brilliant!!

This needs framing.

Thanks T

As you can tell, I am fascinated by the overall topic of staging, and killer as story teller.

In my day job, I am always dealing with amateurs who can't write properly. You see all these mistakes where due to the overwhelming need to "message" - the basics of good story writing go out the window.

It was especially with our dear friend Pistorius, that I realised he was making all the same mistakes my clients make

Ok I don't know where it started going wrong but I'll start from day 28 for you

Day 28 - Mar 12th - Eugene Liscio state witness
Day 29 - Mar 13th - Defense Case Opens - Taylor Jarvis & Catherine Jarvis
Day 30 - Mar 14th - Catherine Jarvis
Day 31 - Mar 18th - Susan Blake
Day 32 - Mar 19th - Sgt Joseph Steers & Alex Quick, DofJ, assigned to San Diego County Sheriffs Homicide

Well - I tried going back to find the "problem" - I'll stick with my dates... LOL! I'm counting days when the jurors were not there, I believe they are not.
74x46px-LL-59c83b81_question-marks.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members