Nationwide College Cheating Scandal - Actresses, Business Owners Charged, Mar 2019 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not coincidental, imo, but a deliberate statement....model sisters Bella and Gigi (who skipped college and have made millions modeling instead) have been photographed with the trendiest of trendy accessories: books!

Go figure, you can read a book without being assigned to read a book. Powerful statement! But, will the trend last?

https://nypost.com/2019/03/19/bella-and-gigi-hadid-make-books-the-hot-new-accessory-of-2019/

;) ;) ;)
That is hilarious! Hopefully the trend catches on. And that they maybe occasionally open the book.

I’m sort of the same.

They likely saw it as strings being pulled, some sort of (legitimate) donation being made, and a door opening. Sort of an “everyone does it” mentality.
Agreed. I just don't seen the girls as being "Type A," driven, determined to get into this college, and actively plotting and scheming to get in at all costs. The parents, yes. I don't really like the idea of charging the students, even if they were aware, had turned 18, or knew something was right. JMO, but I feel like it's natural to put your trust into parents, especially if the students had limited information of how this all worked. My guess is they were told things on a "need to know" basis and knew strings were being pulled, but maybe not the extent or a grasp of the big picture implications.

I also think if you are a high school student and your mom or dad is saying, "If anyone asks, just say this," it's (imo) perhaps reasonable for a more passive kid to say okay and not question. (Obviously some of the students involved did seem to question and were uncomfortable not getting in on their own merits, etc.) But how much pushback to mom and dad at that age can be expected? I'm not sure and would be uncomfortable making that determination. If everything has always been done for you on your behalf, and people "handling" all those pesky details for you, maybe some wouldn't question or press for more info. I jmo, imo, etc.

Perhaps in the SAT test cases the parents will claim the child has test anxiety. This may work as a defense.
"They can not show what they really know because they become so anxious about the test we had to get someone else take it or fix it". JMO

They can simply apply fresh to another school. Forget any credits at another school, Start over

Colleges ask for any credits you have gotten to be declared and a transcript to be sent at some point in the process. Non-disclosure is the same as lying on the application and would be grounds for dismissal.

Perhaps in the SAT test cases the parents will claim the child has test anxiety. This may work as a defense.
"They can not show what they really know because they become so anxious about the test we had to get someone else take it or fix it". JMO

For most people, it is not so easy to get accommodations on the SAT/ACT tests. Usually, you need a history (demonstrated by school accommodations). It is telling that Singer had psychologists on hand to help get the accommodations. I wonder if the psychologists have been charged.....

Colleges ask for any credits you have gotten to be declared and a transcript to be sent at some point in the process. Non-disclosure is the same as lying on the application and would be grounds for dismissal.

If you have money and are not asking for aid, you simply cannot attend another school and forget your last one if you want no credits from the school?

I attended summer schools back in the day at different colleges. I do not recall having to send any transcripts but that was years ago

If you have money and are not asking for aid, you simply cannot attend another school and forget your last one if you want no credits from the school?

I attended summer schools back in the day at different colleges. I do not recall having to send any transcripts but that was years ago

You may be asked in the application if you have ever had any academic discipline from another university.

For most people, it is not so easy to get accommodations on the SAT/ACT tests. Usually, you need a history (demonstrated by school accommodations). It is telling that Singer had psychologists on hand to help get the accommodations. I wonder if the psychologists have been charged.....

Oh man. Going through this process right now to get a student of mine accommodations in the PSAT. It's a serious PITA how much information they require .... And that's for a student with a lifelong, documented disability.

I don’t know either, but you could be right.
Oh man. Going through this process right now to get a student of mine accommodations in the PSAT. It's a serious PITA how much information they require .... And that's for a student with a lifelong, documented disability.

And this is why what these parents did is really a crime against decent, hardworking families trying to educate their children.

THIS.

There are specific questions that ask if you have done any college work, AP courses, etc. Even in grad school applications a student is responsible to declare all undergraduate credits attempted or attained. How deep would a school look? The issue though is that if you lie and are caught it is grounds for dismissal for academic dishonesty.

No doubt there will be schools that will take any of these students even with their history--- combo online line and brick/mortar, small schools. The only student who might have the hardest time is the student who was on the phone and asked about fixing her art history failure and had agreed to an arranged proxy student to take the online class in her name. I can only see the most predatory colleges taking her or stay in the community college to get her associates with a transfer to a 4 year who would take the chance.

Absolutely. This is why I want to hear from the College Board. These families got last minute diagnoses and appealed the three times when life-long students who had IEP that kept going for least restrictive environments (and need the time or support in the test) get turned away. I hope the psychologists who gave these kids a dx are investigated and have ramifications.

I'm guessing Singer also had a price list for kids who wanted his "employee" do to their college online classes. That same employee helped the Florida student with her art history class AND her biology class, I believe.

Absolutely. This is why I want to hear from the College Board. These families got last minute diagnoses and appealed the three times when life-long students who had IEP that kept going for least restrictive environments (and need the time or support in the test) get turned away. I hope the psychologists who gave these kids a dx are investigated and have ramifications.

Most of the kids were able to take SAT classes where Singer controlled the environment. They were located in Los Angeles and Houston. Some parents questioned how to explain to their kid's high school why they were going to LA or Houston and he told them to tell the HS that they had a wedding or bar mitzvah that weekend in the LA or Houston area. I'm not sure if this is in conjunction with IEP scam.

I don't think that will work because most, if not all, of the students took practice SAT/ACTs and/or the PSAT - which were taken under less stressful situations. The results of those tests are documented....and the fake tests were well, well above the practice scores. The hired proctor wasn't helping the student show their real abilities, but to change the test answers for the student to get higher scores. I don't think the faked tests can be explained away as anything other than fraud.

jmo

I was thinking this morning about the other cast members that work with LL in the Garage Sale Mysteries movies, such as Steve Bacic who plays her husband and Sarah Strange who plays her partner and friend, and so on. It just dawned on me how this is going to affect so many people if HMC stops running those movies - which I’m assuming they are since they cut ties with LL. I would think it will be a considerable loss of income for all of the actors not to mention the HMC. They run all of those reruns on a regular basis not to mention future productions.
I guess I’m still trying to wrap my head around how LL, et al could lower themselves to participate in such a scam, and how they can be so arrogant and full of themselves they not only thought they were untouchable, they actually believe it was all just a-ok. Maybe people like this weren’t cut out for fame and fortune, they certainly don’t deserve it.
Given the far reaching consequences of all this I’m wondering now if the civil law suits will start piling up.
I didn’t find anything on the GSM cast but found this on When Calls the Heart.
Lori Loughlin's Hallmark Channel co-stars say college admissions scandal put them in 'tough spot'

Last edited:
I was thinking this morning about the other cast members that work with LL in the Garage Sale Mysteries movies, such as Steve Bacic who plays her husband and Sarah Strange who plays her partner and friend, and so on. It just dawned on me how this is going to affect so many people if HMC stops running those movies - which I’m assuming they are since they cut ties with LL. I would think it will be a considerable loss of income for all of the actors not to mention the HMC. They run all of those reruns on a regular basis not to mention future productions.
I guess I’m still trying to wrap my head around how LL, et al could lower themselves to participate in such a scam, and how they can be so arrogant and full of themselves they not only thought they were untouchable, they actually believe it was all just a-ok. Maybe people like this weren’t cut out for fame and fortune, they certainly don’t deserve it.
Given the far reaching consequences of all this I’m wondering now if the civil law suits will start piling up.
I didn’t find anything on the GSM cast but found this on When Calls the Heart.
Lori Loughlin's Hallmark Channel co-stars say college admissions scandal put them in 'tough spot'
Its a huge mess for sure. I don't know what Hallmark will do. I get the feeling that they aren't even sure what they are going to do yet. The fallout from this will be staggering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlternativeLuck