New Zealand - Christchurch Mosque shooting, dead & injured reported, 15 March 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Luckily for New Zealamders that those who find it unappealing will not be visiting.

I bet if the people who think they are so tough and free would faint away if they encountered a Haka.

<modsnipped>

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry, free things don't make up for a justice system with secret trials, a press that can be censored by the gov't, a gov;t that can put someone in jail for 10 years for watching a video the gov't disapproves of. Happiness for me is independence and the ability to make my own path in the world. I don't need a nanny government giving me free things, I find that to be discomforting.

Except for the phrase about the nanny state giving one "free things", agreed.

I don't know about any kiwis being put in jail for 10 years for watching a video the government doesn't like. But secret trials? Secret evidence? Secret charges? Oh, we do that here too.

Shrouded justice: Thousands of Colorado court cases hidden from public view on judges’ orders – The Denver Post

https://www.coloradoindependent.com/2018/09/29/supreme-court-owens-record-first-amendment/

New Mexico In Depth - Smart. Investigative. Journalism for New Mexico.

https://scholarship.law.georgetown....com/&httpsredir=1&article=2836&context=facpub

https://digitalcommons.law.villanova.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1123&context=vlr

I'm sorry that you feel that I'm being sarcastic but honestly your premise that social nets could somehow prevent these mass killings is a big stretch to me.

Can we please explain what a "safety net" is in the context of discussing? It seems so vague.

It looks like he went to New Zealand because it's easier to get his hands on a semi-automatic weapon that can be easily modified to take larger magazines.

No he came here because our country was peaceful and it would have massive impact for this to happen here. It was in his manifesto.

I came back from Christchurch on Tuesday and the city was awash with love and kindness. I laid flowers at the mosque and hugged some people. A few tears where shed and I realised like the quakes we’ll get through this.

No he came here because our country was peaceful and it would have massive impact for this to happen here. It was in his manifesto.

I came back from Christchurch on Tuesday and the city was awash with love and kindness. I laid flowers at the mosque and hugged some people.
And you will,hugs from an Aussie cousin.

Leaders can make speedy change when they don't have to take the wishes of their population into consideration.
We have public referendums for certain major issues which affect everyone on a widespread level. So the public takes a vote outside of the general election. A couple of examples in recent memory were the referendum to ban smacking (you would say spanking) children, which passed, so it’s now illegal to hit anyone whether they are an adult or a child.

We recently also had a referendum to change the national flag (it’s very similar to australia’s which causes confusion, plus it’s largely based on the Union Jack which is less relevant to us these days as we’re very independent from the UK in regards to governance). That one didn’t pass.

For all other decisions the elected government has the mandate to move forward and get things done so long as they get enough votes from within their own party or other parties in parliament.

Changing the gun laws is well within their mandate and the sentiment of the general public is one of support. They also seem to currently have the support of even the opposition political party.

I think that’s pretty standard for elected governments to be able to make decisions on behalf of the people. That’s why they’re there. Otherwise how else would you ever get anything done if you needed the public to vote on every single decision?

I’ll reiterate once again that tightening up the gun laws just isn’t a controversial thing here. We see gun ownership as a privilege to be held under special or necessary circumstances (keeping control of pests on farms, hunting as a sport, etc), not a right. We don’t keep guns for self defence or in fear of having to rise up against the government or anything. We’re living in a totally different environment where there’s just not that fear-based context around things. I appreciate that’s hard to wrap your head around for some, but that’s the simple reality of how we live down here.

So thankful to have a prime minister who has acted promptly and decisively on this issue. There was a lovely Instagram post from her hubby today mentioning that it’s their baby girls nine month birthday today and that Ms Ardern has given her the best gift of a safer future by changing the gun laws. (Yes our leader was also recently pregnant in office, breastfed in office and is now raising a young baby in office, and still has time to lead the nation with grace, compassion and guts!).

Poor inhabitants?

Let's stop bashing this beautiful gem of a nation. Our reputation as ugly, arrogant Americans need to change and it starts with each of us.

To bash these people and this lovely nation at this time is reprehensible and I'm ashamed that any sleuthed would act in such a way.

Beautiful nation.

Thank you, Gitana.
<modsnip - personal criticism of certain posters>
I'm grateful for you and other American members who have expressed their shame at what is being said.

(EDIT let's be clear I named no names)

<Admin Note: Discussing other members, whether named or not, is not allowed.>

<modsnip>

My only qualm about the after effect of this attack in NZ, is any knee jerk reactions to this event. The entire public and those politicians who the public put their trust in, must be allowed time to grieve and process through all the emotions (anger, et al). Public policies and any new laws should be, IMHO, met with clear rational heads. It's been less than a week since this event occurred, and to me (MOO), that is too soon to make any major decisions when shock, grief, anger are still being felt by the public.

Colorado is sealing records, not court cases. The press and the public are allowed in courts in the US, there are no secret trials. Personally I believe the US SC would have overturned the state ruling because sealing court records is very hinky. It makes the public wonder "what are they hiding?" and that is not good for a free country.

28 people who were wounded remain in hospital, with 6 still in a critical condition in intensive care. This includes 4 year old Alen Alsati who is still fighting for her life.

"The bullet has really hit an area in the vein which is really very difficult to repair," said [surgeon] Khanafer, describing the child's injuries. "The bullet has damaged the pelvis and lower arteries have been cut."

Surgeon gets emotional about 4-year-old New Zealand shooting victim

Let's take a moment to remember the real victims of this.

I came back from Christchurch on Tuesday and the city was awash with love and kindness. I laid flowers at the mosque and hugged some people. A few tears where shed and I realised like the quakes we’ll get through this.

Im so sorry for your country. Your post brought tears to my eyes.

28 people who were wounded remain in hospital, with 6 still in a critical condition in intensive care. This includes 4 year old Alen Alsati who is still fighting for her life.

"The bullet has really hit an area in the vein which is really very difficult to repair," said [surgeon] Khanafer, describing the child's injuries. "The bullet has damaged the pelvis and lower arteries have been cut."

Surgeon gets emotional about 4-year-old New Zealand shooting victim

Let's take a moment to remember the real victims of this.
That is very difficult to read. Its impossible for me to understand targeting innocent people, but especially children. Beyond comprehension.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304