Found Deceased PA - Karl F. Messerschmidt, 46 - Lancaster County - Friday, 15 Mar 2019

Richrd

Ten Year Member
Reaction score
Middle Creek Wildlife Management Area

Pennsylvania
Clay Township >> Lancaster County
Name Withheld
Friday, 15 Mar 2019

Name Withheld
Male / in His 40s
Vehicle Left Behind

Clay Township, Lancaster County is in South-Eastern, PA
Day Six

1)) Reading Eagle©:

Man remains missing 2 days after his car was found at Middle Creek Wildlife Area

2)) Northern Lancaster Regional Police Department:
Northern Lancaster County Regional Police Department
(Two Announcements)

3)) Lancaster Newspapers:
Second day of search at Middle Creek game lands for man thought to be missing ends; limited search planned [updated]

4)) Middle Creek Search & Rescue:
MIDSAR - Middle Creek Search & Rescue

5)) Trailing Dog Article:
http://www.bck9sar.com/files/Tracking_vs_Trailing.pdf

6)) Pennsylvania Missing and Unidentified©:
Pennsylvania Missing Persons

7)) Others Missing in Pennsylvania:

Missing Persons Discussion

BOLO = Be On the Look-Out
K-9 = Canine / Certified Search Dog
MEPA = Missing Endangered Person Advisory
PGC = Pennsylvania Game Commission
SAR = Search and Rescue
UmA = Un-manned Aircraft - Drones

[Message 6319
Thread 432351]

Last edited:
It seems a bit unusual not to release the name of a missing person, especially after 2 days of searching.

I thought the same. Can anyone here shed some light on maybe why this would be done based on past experience? Anyone here remember a case where this was done before?

I once lived in Lancaster Co. When I lived there many years ago, there was a horrible murder of several members of one family by another juvenile family member. The family was a very prominent one and the whole thing was kept under wraps and no information was ever given. Everything was handled in private. I still wonder about it. I only bring this up now because this situation reminded me of that. Protecting privacy can be a good thing but I'm not sure I understand how it helps a missing person. :confused:

Why The Secrecy We Ask?
One of Many Possibilities:
1)) Our Missing Man is a Mental Health Patient / Candidate

1A)) Federal Medical Privacy Regulations safeguard lots of information.
1B)) His Loved Ones are encouraging a Voluntary Mental Health Commitment, known as a 201, rather than an IN-Voluntary 302,
which is much more difficult to obtain.
1C)) https://namibuckspa.org/resources/inpatient-hospitalization/

Now, Let's Reply, and add Your 2)), 3)), 4)) etc.

Last edited:
Why The Secrecy We Ask?
One of Many Possibilities:
1)) Our Missing Man is a Mental Health Patient / Candidate

1A)) Federal Medical Privacy Regulations safeguard lots of information.
1B)) His Loved Ones are encouraging a Voluntary Mental Health Commitment, known as a 201, rather than an IN-Voluntary 302,
which is much more difficult to obtain.
1C)) https://namibuckspa.org/resources/inpatient-hospitalization/

Now, Let's Reply, and add Your 2)), 3)), 4)) etc.

Those things are all understandable but it still doesn't help in finding the missing person if no one knows who to look for.

Those things are all understandable but it still doesn't help in finding the missing person if no one knows who to look for.

Exactly what I was thinking. Is it meant to be an appeal to the public to BOLO for this person? If so, I am super confused. Or is it meant as more of just a public service announcement? I live somewhat near Lancaster County so it piqued my interest.

Exactly what I was thinking. Is it meant to be an appeal to the public to BOLO for this person? If so, I am super confused. Or is it meant as more of just a public service announcement? I live somewhat near Lancaster County so it piqued my interest.

Do you know what area Clay Township is next to? I am drawing a blank as to exactly where that is. Its been over 20 years since I lived there, but I was in and out of most school districts in the county either as a college student, sub or teacher but I can't remember Clay.

Do you know what area Clay Township is next to? I am drawing a blank as to exactly where that is. Its been over 20 years since I lived there, but I was in and out of most school districts in the county either as a college student, sub or teacher but I can't remember Clay.

It's almost directly north a little bit from the city of Lancaster. I believe right around Ephrata. My ex used to work to work in Ephrata and I would drive up there from Delaware to spend time with her. I THINK I used to just take the blue route/PA turnpike to get there.

It's almost directly north a little bit from the city of Lancaster. I believe right around Ephrata. My ex used to work to work in Ephrata and I would drive up there from Delaware to spend time with her. I THINK I used to just take the blue route/PA turnpike to get there.

Ah, okay. That would explain it. That's not area I was familiar with. Thanks for the reply!

Update: Search being called off for man reported missing in Middle Creek Wildlife Area, police say

March 19, 2019 . . . After police said the search was ending, WGAL's Susan Shapiro asked whether investigators had any idea what may have happened to the man.

"Not that we're willing to release at this point," said Corporal Anthony Smith.

Police said the man's family has been notified that the official search is ending. Some drones may continue the search throughout the week.

Still-Missing :: Endangered :: Now-Identified

Pennsylvania
Clay Township >> Lancaster County
Karl F. Messersmith
Friday, 15 Mar 2019

Karl F. Messersmith
White / Male / 46 Years Old
5 ' 10" :: 275 Lbs.
Hazel Eyes with Glasses :: Short Receding Brown Hair​

63dcd728-bf0a-479b-aed2-47767ac77255-large16x9_Messersmith.png

Clay Township, Lancaster County is in South-Eastern, PA
Day Nine

8)) WHP CBS-21:

MISSING MAN | Police continue to search for Clay Township man

9)) Northern Lancaster Regional Police Department:
Northern Lancaster County Regional Police Department
(Updated)

10)) Google Supplements & Updates:
Karl F. Messersmith, 46 - Missing - PA - Google Search

11)) Middle Creek Search & Rescue:
MIDSAR - Middle Creek Search & Rescue

12)) Trailing Dog Article:
http://www.bck9sar.com/files/Tracking_vs_Trailing.pdf

14)) Pennsylvania Missing and Unidentified©:
Pennsylvania Missing Persons

15)) Others Missing in Pennsylvania:

Missing Persons Discussion

201 = Voluntary Mental Health Commitment
ATV = All-Terrain Vehicle
BOLO = Be On the Look-Out
CLEAN = Commonwealth Law Enforcement Assistance Network
EMS = Emergency Medical Services
K-9 = Canine / Certified Search Dog
MEPA = Missing Endangered Person Advisory
NCIC = National Crime Information Center
PGC = Pennsylvania Game Commission
SAR = Search and Rescue
SGL = State Game Lands
UCR = Uniform Crime Reporting Program
UmA = Un-manned Aircraft - Drones

[Message 6324
Thread 432351]

Last edited:
From @Richrd 's wonderful link to the North Lancaster County Regional Police Department:

[. . .]
Interviews with family members included indications of potential self-harm by the subject, consistent with the specific location where the vehicle was found and matching nearby geographic features. The interview also provided the specific means and way the threat to self-harm was provided in a vaguely worded conversation. These statements were to have been made by the missing person to family members within the previous thirty-day period. MESSERSMITH was entered into the NCIC/CLEAN data base by the NLCRPD and was listed within the classification of missing endangered.
[. . .]
An area search followed that was conducted over an expansive area of varying terrain within the wildlife area. The scope of the search was such that various search elements were utilized. The duration of this search was over a three - day period, concluding on Wednesday the 20th. Search resources included:
 Remote air to ground drone teams
 Horse mounted search teams
 ATV Search assets
 Foot searchers
 Law enforcement support teams
 EMS teams
 Logistic teams
 Pennsylvania State Police Aviation resources
At the conclusion of the search a determination was made that all reasonable efforts to locate the subject in the search venue were exhausted. The NLCRPD requests anyone having information concerning MESSERSMITH which may assist in the investigation to contact the agency at nlcrpd.org.

Sourced via CRIMEWATCH®: NEWS POST: Update – Missing Person Investigation – Clay Township

I thought the same. Can anyone here shed some light on maybe why this would be done based on past experience? Anyone here remember a case where this was done before?

I once lived in Lancaster Co. When I lived there many years ago, there was a horrible murder of several members of one family by another juvenile family member. The family was a very prominent one and the whole thing was kept under wraps and no information was ever given. Everything was handled in private. I still wonder about it. I only bring this up now because this situation reminded me of that. Protecting privacy can be a good thing but I'm not sure I understand how it helps a missing person. :confused:

Are you talking about Alec Kreider? A Teenage Suspect in a Triple Murder

The missing man's car was found in very close proximity to where Ashley Kline's burned body was found in 2014. I thought of that young lady from Robesonia, as soon as I saw the location of this man's found Jeep. Lots of wooded area around there to search for a body.

Are you talking about Alec Kreider? A Teenage Suspect in a Triple Murder

No. The one I am thinking of happened back in the very early 90's.

I need to correct my own statement from earlier, as well. I was on my way out of town when I made that post and I have now researched it. It was very hush-hush at the time and nothing much was in the papers after the arrest. But he was a juvenile and that probably played into that. Anyway, I have found msm that indicates he was indeed convicted. Looking back, I had likely moved from that state before it ever went to trial, hence my very faulty memory. I'll blame lack of internet in that era on my lack of info.

Last edited:
A body was found this morning very close to the area where this gentleman's car was found. They have not released a name yet, but indicated he had been shot.I also want to note that each news article I have read regarding this person, has spelled his last name Messersmith. I believe the correct spelling is Messerschmidt.

A body was found this morning very close to the area where this gentleman's car was found. They have not released a name yet, but indicated he had been shot.I also want to note that each news article I have read regarding this person, has spelled his last name Messersmith. I believe the correct spelling is Messerschmidt.
Here is a note about his last name
NEWS POST: Missing Person-Last Name Spelling Correction

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melissawilkinson44