Mumps Outbreak Spreads

Buzz Mills

Reaction score
Website
forumsforjustice.com
Canadian mumps outbreak reaches Toronto

TORONTO (Reuters) - Health officials have issued a warning on an outbreak of mumps that has already infected three people in Toronto and could hit hundreds more, the city's public health agency said on Wednesday.

The three confirmed cases occurred after two university students returned to Toronto from the east coast city of Halifax, Nova Scotia, and passed it to one of their friends. That person then unknowingly exposed about 300 others to the virus at a busy downtown Toronto bar last week, Toronto Public Health officials said.

The health agency has issued a warning for those people to be on the lookout for signs and symptoms of the disease.

A serious mumps outbreak in Eastern Canada has prompted health officials there to look into plans for a vaccination program. The mumps is not usually a serious illness, but it can cause meningitis, hearing loss and orchitis (inflammation of the testicles). Women who get the illness in the first three months of pregnancy can also miscarry. The highly contagious disease has previously broken out in Eastern Canada and the U.S. Midwest.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070517/wl_canada_nm/canada_mumps_col

These outbreaks scare me. My nephew had such a horrible reaction from his vaccines that he didnt get anymore from his 9 month on. It left him with severe grand mal seizures. Im thankful my daughter has had all her vaccines.

The good news is that most kids are protected, as they have received the two doses of MMR for immunity, but the bad news is that most young adults and adults do not have the immunity present.

I would assume that most new Canadians, may not have had the vaccine, but I am not sure.

I really hope that this does not spread, I remember SARS, and it was a nightmare.

It isn't funny at all thinking about these once almost eliminated diseases coming back. TB for another. Plus some of the strains are new.
The new strains of so many of these ailments is what really scares the carp out of me.
Lord only knows what is in the making.

Hey, shouldn't this go under that nasty "plagues" thread we never started? :D

There has been an increase in chicken pox cases amongst the 4th and 5th graders at our school. Both of my children had the pox when they were little. My youngest had the immunization, and so did the children that have the pox now at this late age. Now I need to worry if she's going to get the pox?

Makes me wonder.

The good news is that most kids are protected, as they have received the two doses of MMR for immunity, but the bad news is that most young adults and adults do not have the immunity present.

I would assume that most new Canadians, may not have had the vaccine, but I am not sure.

I really hope that this does not spread, I remember SARS, and it was a nightmare.

My two boys are 43 and 39 and both had the MMR vaccine back when they were young. We got it as soon as it came out. It's not new here. Fortunately neither of my sons ever had problems with immunizations. Now I had chickenpox, mumps and measles when I was in elementary school back in the fifties, LOL. That was before the shots.

unfortunately, the Mumps component in the MMR has been shown not to offer immunity for the disease. When Iowa, Nebraska & WI has an outbreak of the mumps several months ago, it was determined that 80% of the people getting it where fully immunized.

Hey, shouldn't this go under that nasty "plagues" thread we never started? :D

There has been an increase in chicken pox cases amongst the 4th and 5th graders at our school. Both of my children had the pox when they were little. My youngest had the immunization, and so did the children that have the pox now at this late age. Now I need to worry if she's going to get the pox?

Makes me wonder.

Taximom, we had an outbreak of chicken pox in our small rural school. Every kid who got them had been immunized. Sometimes science is not all its cracked up to be. I have an adult friend who suffered terribly with chicken Pox. To the point of hospitalization. The Doctor told him the older you are the worse it gets, and does not recommend the Pox vaccination. He said it rarely works and just postpones it.

Vaccines are kind of a double edged sword. On ethe one hand, you want your kids to be safe so you without question vaccinate. One the other hand there are the mercury and adverse side effects that are associated with shots. I am not totally convinced that Autism is not linked to vaccines. The idea though of a disease outbreak like Polio or measles frightens me though. If the trend of not vaccinating continues to get popular then we are in trouble. Like i said in the pill thread, I don't trust the FDA and I am not alone. I am sure. We are due for my twins MMR vaccine next week.

Those with infants, you re supposed to get boosters of some vaccines when your little ones get theirs. I know whooping cough is one of them. Ask your pediatrician about it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autumn.Doe
Back