ACTIVE SEARCH SD - Serenity Dennard, 9, Children’s Home Society, Pennington County, 3 Feb 2019 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, the Sheriff's search is scheduled for March 30th, 6 days after the one organized by Lynne DiSanto, rather than this Saturday. From that article you cited:

The March 30 search will involve at least seven dogs and many of the agencies that previously assisted, the sheriff's office said in a news release. Sheriff Kevin Thom said a helicopter will be used and a plane may be brought in as well. If the weather turns bad on March 30, the search will be rescheduled to April 6 or 7.​
The sheriffs search will be the following Saturday, the 30th. Lynn's is this coming Sunday, the 24th.
Whoops! Note to self: Have eyes checked. LOL :p

Thanks for the update and also wanted to say I love your screen name. My inlaws rescue and foster for a Schipperke dog rescue group.
No problem. This poor girl tugs at my heart, so I keep watch for anything new.
And yes, that is the origin of my screen name. We have had several over the years, including a rescue Schipperke we currently have. Little dogs with great spirit!

It sure does. I didn't realize that it was so rocky - parts of it, anyway. Those rocks would be very slick and dangerous when covered in ice and snow.
MOO
It can be pretty treacherous. Not as easy as you would think.
I noticed that it is currently 62 degrees and bright and sunny there. That should go a long way toward getting rid of any leftover snow, I would think. Definitely the best weather since Serenity went missing.

Well, I thought she might have been found before all the snow fell. Like, within a half hour or so. But clearly, I've underestimated her stamina and speed.
Or maybe she didn’t go very far at all.

I really hope that the facility grounds have been searched very thoroughly.

IIRC, the passenger of the person who saw Serenity near the cattle guard was the only one to see her headed north on S Rockerville.

What if Serenity turned around without being noticed? Everyone is scrambling. It was probably a very chaotic scene.

I’m particularly worried that maybe she decided to wait inside one of the outbuildings on the facility property, thinking that one of the staff would find her. Then, perhaps as the temperature started to drop shortly thereafter, she succumbed to hypothermia.

Whether indoors or outdoors, bodies can be missed fairly easily, IMO:

“[SBM]

Purdue spokesperson Jeanne Norberg said Tuesday (March 20) that [Wade] Steffey, who hadn't been seen since Jan. 13, was electrocuted. His body was found around noon Monday (March 19) in a high-voltage utility room in Owen Hall by a university physical facilities employee who was called to check on a noise coming from the locked room.

‘Wade apparently gained access, and, in trying to find his way around the room, was accidentally electrocuted,’ Deputy Coroner Martin Avolt said.

[SBM]

Norberg said the utility room, roughly the size of a one-car garage, houses three electrical transformers connected by high-voltage wires. Steffey's body was found behind one of the transformers, she said. The utility room has both an interior and exterior door.

When the utility worker was called to check the room on Monday (March 19), she entered using the interior door, which had been locked. During the course of their investigation, police found the outside door was unlocked. Police removed the lock to determine if it had been tampered with or faulty and padlocked the door for safety.

[SBM]

The room is about 50 yards from the northwest corner of Owen Hall, where Steffey was reportedly seen at around 12:30 a.m. on Jan. 13. Investigators said he had left his coat with a friend who lives at the residence hall. At about the same time, he placed two cell phone calls to friends in Owen Hall, a short walk away from his room in Cary Quadrangle. Earlier on the evening of Jan. 12 Steffey attended a party in the Tower Drive area.

[SBM]

Norberg said an earlier campus search for Steffey included the Owen Hall complex. She said residence hall employees did not have keys to the room, which was normally locked as it was on the day of the search.

It is believed that physical facilities employees subsequently checked the room but did not see Steffey's body behind the transformer, Norberg said.

[SBM]” (BBM)
Body identified as missing Purdue student Wade Steffey

Well, I thought she might have been found before all the snow fell. Like, within a half hour or so. But clearly, I've underestimated her stamina and speed.

I hate to be judgmental but jumping off of your post and not speaking for anyone but myself but that is still one of my sticking points here too. If it was so dangerous and so big of a deal for searchers within no time flat and all of the weeks after (and even now) then this child running outside to begin with in not the proper clothing with the weather forecast coming then it should have been a very big deal to get right on stopping her and finding her. Easy to judge I know but this entire case just does not sit right. There very likely is, as always, things we do not know but even so...

Saying that is assuming nothing personal against anyone in particular as I, like most, know none of the people, home, employees nor agencies involved...

Yet we see amazing rescues of a single person on a mountain or from an avalanche but boy some rocks and snow and we just cannot search... Amazing and dangerous cave rescues. Why for one and not the next... I never realized that all search and rescue teams were only deployed under perfect conditions... Or is that the real reason?

Just venting and I guess like many trying to keep a voice alive for this child. I still encounter people and it is MOST people who have heard not one word about this missing child...

jmo and if it is not popular, that is okay with me... i hope they are onto something we are not privy to. i somehow doubt it though...

I hate to be judgmental but jumping off of your post and not speaking for anyone but myself but that is still one of my sticking points here too. If it was so dangerous and so big of a deal for searchers within no time flat and all of the weeks after (and even now) then this child running outside to begin with in not the proper clothing with the weather forecast coming then it should have been a very big deal to get right on stopping her and finding her. Easy to judge I know but this entire case just does not sit right. There very likely is, as always, things we do not know but even so...

Saying that is assuming nothing personal against anyone in particular as I, like most, know none of the people, home, employees nor agencies involved...

Yet we see amazing rescues of a single person on a mountain or from an avalanche but boy some rocks and snow and we just cannot search... Amazing and dangerous cave rescues. Why for one and not the next... I never realized that all search and rescue teams were only deployed under perfect conditions... Or is that the real reason?

Just venting and I guess like many trying to keep a voice alive for this child. I still encounter people and it is MOST people who have heard not one word about this missing child...

jmo and if it is not popular, that is okay with me... i hope they are onto something we are not privy to. i somehow doubt it though...
I know what you are saying, but I think it is perhaps assuming that they didn't think it was a big deal. When Serenity ran, there was no snow on the ground yet. The staff looked for her for a couple hours until LE got there. Then the snow started and conditions rapidly deteriorated. Nonetheless, they continued with extensive searches for three or four more days despite the deepening snow and frigid temperatures. They only ceased when it was apparent that conditions had become too dangerous for the rescue teams, and the snow would have covered up any traces of Serenity, and if she was still out there, she wouldn't have survived. I think to them, it was a VERY big deal. And since then, there has been poor weather and lots of snow on the ground.

I am glad to see you still venting for this sweet, innocent, child. That is who 'you' are.

Sadly, there has never been any verification that anyone saw sweet Serenity after she was reportedly by the road.

The indications by LE, that this was a recovery operation, were disheartening, to put this mildly. And yet we hope(d) for a joyous outcome. A homecoming for this little girl who captured our hearts.

Even more sadly, there is no rush to put anyone into harms way to continue with any searches here. These brave responders, their dogs, and soon horses, will be performing the heartbreaking task of bringing Serenity home.

My thoughts, and prayers for their well-being, are where I am now at.

Lynne DiSanto has a new video up on her FB page. She is assuring everybody that the search will still go forward this coming Sunday despite some negative feedback that she has received. Also of note, Darcy will be there helping in the search as well.

Lynne DiSanto has a new video up on her FB page. She is assuring everybody that the search will still go forward this coming Sunday despite some negative feedback that she has received. Also of note, Darcy will be there helping in the search as well.

She also has put up a couple of other posts regarding the search and she commented within the comment sections of those posts with some relevant info about the people that saw Serenity while dropping someone refusing to be interviewed.

I hope this is okay to post since I believe Lynne's page was approved and it is her comments I am referencing. If not I am sorry. ETA: Figured out to report so getting it checked out.

She also has put up a couple of other posts regarding the search and she commented within the comment sections of those posts with some relevant info about the people that saw Serenity while dropping someone refusing to be interviewed.

I hope this is okay to post since I believe Lynne's page was approved and it is her comments I am referencing. If not I am sorry. ETA: Figured out to report so getting it checked out.

I found her youtube also

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member