WV WV - Aliayah Lunsford, 3, Lewis Co., 24 Sep 2011 #14 *Guilty*

I can't access this article:

More time for state to respond to Lunsford Conaway appeal in Lewis, WV, case

All I can see is:

CHARLESTON — The state has been given more time to file its response to the appeal of Lena Lunsford Conaway, the former Lewis County woman ...

Can some give a 10% synopsis of this please? TIA! :)

CHARLESTON — The state has been given more time to file its response to the appeal of Lena Lunsford Conaway, the former Lewis County woman convicted of murder in the alleged 2011 homicide of toddler daughter Aliayah Lunsford.

Assistant Attorney General Scott Johnson recently filed a motion for extension of time to file the state’s response brief from Thursday.

The state Supreme Court granted the motion, extending the deadline by about a month, to March 22.

Thanks a bunch casesensitive!
animated-smileys-waving-003.gif

CHARLESTON — The state has been given more time to file its response to the appeal of Lena Lunsford Conaway, the former Lewis County woman convicted of murder in the alleged 2011 homicide of toddler daughter Aliayah Lunsford.

Assistant Attorney General Scott Johnson recently filed a motion for extension of time to file the state’s response brief from Thursday.

The state Supreme Court granted the motion, extending the deadline by about a month, to March 22.
I hope she is never released from prison. Hiding the body of Aliayah is just so cruel. How could a mother ever live with the fact that her baby's body is not laid to rest. Aliayah needs to be found. When Lena dies her body should be treated the same way she treated her baby. She deserves it, Aliayah didn't.

Friday, March 22nd:
*Appeal Response from DA Deadline (@ ET) - WV - Aliayah Lunsford (3) (Sept. 24, 2011) - *Lena Marie Lunsford Conaway (34), "mom" indicted (3/6/16) with four counts: Murder of a child by parent by failure to provide necessities, which carries a life sentence; death of a child by parent by child abuse, which carries up to 40 years in prison; child abuse resulting in injury, which carries 1-5 years; and concealment of a dead body, which also carries 1-5 years. Plead not guilty.
4/23/18: After 2 hours of deliberations:
On the charge of murder of a child by a parent by failure to provide necessities: Guilty
On the charge of death of a child by parent by child abuse: Guilty
On the charge of child abuse resulting in serious bodily injury: Guilty
On the charge of concealment of a dead body: Guilty

The jury will decide tomorrow (4/24) if she will be granted mercy or no mercy on the murder charge.

4/24/18: The Lewis County jury has recommended no mercy for Lena Lunsford-Conaway. That means she'll be sentenced to life in prison, and she won't be eligible for parole. That's just for the murder conviction. Lunsford-Conaway will have another sentencing hearing for the other convictions. The sentences for those other convictions will be in addition to the life sentence for murder. Judge Jacob Reger schedules sentencing for Lena Lunsford on June 28 at 9 a.m. Four convictions ranging from murder to child abuse to concealment of a deceased body in case of missing 3-year-old daughter Aliayah.
5/18/18: The defense attorney for Lunsford Conaway says he plans on filing motions that are "outside the typical post-trial motions." Dyer said a motion hearing for Monday was canceled. Dyer said the scheduled hearing was pretty standard for post-trial convictions, but that he needs more time to file other motions.
6/1/18: During this hearing today, defense attorney Tom Dyer is expected to seek a post-verdict judgment of acquittal. It's also likely that he will allege that state didn't
share potentially exculpatory evidence with Lunsford Conaway, 35. On the latter issue, Dyer would ask Chief Judge Jake Reger to toss out the guilty verdicts a Lewis County jury returned against Lunsford Conaway."

6/1/18 Update: Lewis County Prosecuting Attorney Christina Flannigan asks for “a week or two” to review the motions filed by Tom Dyer. Dyer has no objections to the request. Consequently, a post-trial motions hearing was held on 6/21.
6/21/18 Update: Judge denies motion for new trial, but does give defense a continuance of sentencing date. Moved from June 28th to July 2nd.

12/15/18 Update: Appeal deadline for W. Virginia Supreme Court. Kingwood attorney Jeremy B. Cooper will have until Jan. 7 to file the finalized appeal on behalf of Lena Lunsford Conaway, 36, a prisoner at Lakin Correctional Center. The state Attorney General’s Office then will have either until Feb. 21 — or 45 days from the date the appeal is submitted — to file a response, the Supreme Court has ruled. Cooper then will have 20 days to respond to that submission.
1/7/19 Update: Lunsford filed an appeal with the West Virginia Supreme Court asking for an acquittal or a new trial. Lunsford's attorney, Jeremy Cooper of Kingwood, filed the appeal on Jan. 7. Lewis County prosecutors have 20 days to respond (by Jan. 27). 9 reasons for acquittal: Photobucket

2/22/19 Update: Assistant Attorney General Scott Johnson recently filed a motion for extension of time to file the state’s response brief from Thursday. The state Supreme Court granted the motion, extending the deadline by about a month, to March 22.

I shall be shortening this now.... a bit on the long side. :)

CHARLESTON — Purported mistakes in the trial of a former Lewis County woman convicted of murder in the alleged 2011 homicide of her toddler daughter aren't even worth the state Supreme Court hearing arguments on the woman's appeal.

That's the take of Assistant Attorney General Scott Johnson, who's representing the state in its bid to uphold the conviction and sentencing of Lena Lunsford Conaway.

Lunsford Conaway, 36, was convicted last April of murder of a child by failure to provide necessities in the alleged homicide of 3-year-old daughter Aliayah. Lunsford Conaway received a life term without parole when jurors withheld mercy. The defendant also was convicted by Lewis County jurors of death of a child by child abuse, child abuse resulting in serious injury and concealment of a human body, and Chief Judge Jake Reger ran those sentences consecutively.

There was enough evidence to convict Lunsford Conaway, Johnson opined. He noted the "uphill climb" faced by the defense on this issue.

"The evidence at trial, especially that of (Aliayah's sisters), was more than sufficient for the state to have carried its burden of proof," he wrote.

State: No errors made in Lewis, WV, conviction of Lunsford Conaway in death of 3-year-old Aliayah Lunsford

I don't think this is the final decision by the Appeal Court.

I'm okay with her running out her appeals. I would like it even more if I knew that she actually got her hopes up each time one was filed, only to slap her across her nasty face every time it's denied. If I had even accidentally killed my child due to disciplining them, I'd want to die. Throw me in jail, I don't deserve to be out in society.

Hey Jewels!
animated-smileys-waving-003.gif

I don't have access to the article you just posted. Is there a next court date hearing? TIA! :)

Not specifically.
State wants a memorandum opinion. Defense wants to set arguments.
It is unclear what the Supreme Court will do but there are days set aside in April-May of the current term.

State responds to Lunsford's appeal for new trial

March 25th 2019

"CHARLESTON, W.Va. (WCHS/WVAH) — The state of West Virginia fires back at an appeal filed in the Lena Lunsford case, as her lawyer wants the state Supreme Court to acquit her or give her a new trial....

The state is being represented by Assistant Attorney General Scott Johnson in its response to Lunsford's January appeal by her attorney Jeremy Cooper. In Johnson's response filed last week, he rebutted each of Cooper's nine reasons why he believes Lunsford's conviction should be overturned...."

State responds to Lunsford's appeal for new trial
---

Lena Lunsford Conaway Brief

Lena Lunsford Conaway Brief

This is Vickie Bowen, I am still here. I kept my promise to my sister Jo Ann, Aliayah's deceased grandmother. I was there every day of the trial and sentencing hearings. It was hard, but by the grace of God, Aliayah got the justice she deserved and hopefully her hero sisters will have some closure knowing LL will never hurt them ever again. They are my heros. I thank God everyday that they are in a loving, nurturing home and are thriving after all they have been through. I am especially happy that 6 of the siblings are together, including 1 that RL fathered with another woman. The other 3 siblings have been adopted into good families and seem to be doing great. Trenton is with his paternal grand parents. Neco has been adopted to a family in WV and the last one, a girl that LL birthed in Florida, I am not sure where she is, but I pray she is loved and cherished as all children are supposed to be. I do know that the family that has the 6 siblings tried to get the last daughter but failed for some reason concerning Florida law I believe. Thank you all for caring so much about a little sad eyed girl that is now in heaven where she is getting more love than any of us can imagine. I would love to say Aliayah's body has been properly put to rest, and that would mean a lot to me, but I am content in knowing that in heaven, our earthly bodies are not important. I know her soul will forever be loved and happy with Jesus. I will continue to try to find Aliayah's remains and will update if and when we find her. May God bless each and every one of you.

Why would you take the other kids with you to dump a child's body?
That still makes no sense to me. She just created witnesses to her dumping the body as well.
If she had left them at home, I'm not sure she would have been charged.
I don't get it. Maybe she's just an idiot.
LL did this to convince the girls they would be in trouble too if they told. As accomplices to Aliayah's murder. The poor girls were scared to death. They were too young and too scared of LL to talk at the time.

upload_2019-11-21_16-20-26.png

It's been awhile - anything new on her appeals? TIA! :)

This is Vickie Bowen, I am still here. I kept my promise to my sister Jo Ann, Aliayah's deceased grandmother. I was there every day of the trial and sentencing hearings. It was hard, but by the grace of God, Aliayah got the justice she deserved and hopefully her hero sisters will have some closure knowing LL will never hurt them ever again. They are my heros. I thank God everyday that they are in a loving, nurturing home and are thriving after all they have been through. I am especially happy that 6 of the siblings are together, including 1 that RL fathered with another woman. The other 3 siblings have been adopted into good families and seem to be doing great. Trenton is with his paternal grand parents. Neco has been adopted to a family in WV and the last one, a girl that LL birthed in Florida, I am not sure where she is, but I pray she is loved and cherished as all children are supposed to be. .

Thank you for taking the time to come and let everyone know about how those children are doing. After they testified I tried to dig around a little (but respect their privacy) and I so hoped that the adoptive parents are as good as they seemed. That they took the older children and kept so many of the siblings together made them my heroes.

Adoptive parents of Lunsford children start foundation in memory of Aliayah - WV MetroNews

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Megankd
Back