CA CA - Karlie Lain Gusé, 16, Mono County, 13 Oct 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
After watching Dr Phil's (March 25th) interview of Karlie's bio dad and step mom, something seems "off" with their story. Dr Phil asked them if they took a polygraph. The bio dad nodded in affirmation, and the normally talkative stepmom sat there silent. No head nod. No affirmative answer. She may well have taken a polygraph...I don't know. Her lack of response seems unusual.
I am also uncomfortable with some of the statements the bio dad and step mom made on the show. I was listening closely and didn't hear any positive attributes assigned to Karlie by her bio dad and step mom. On more than one occasion the step moms lip curled in contempt when speaking about Karlie. Step mom also smirked (dupers delight?) when Dr Phil asked questions. They refused to let Dr Phil listen to the recorded audio the step mom made of Karlie mere hours before she disappeared. They refused to provide their home address to Dr Phil's producers. They refused to provide the names of witnesses who supposedly saw Karlie that morning. In a preview for tomorrow's show (March 26th), the bio mom states that her ex-husband (bio dad) told her Karlie was "just gone." That's an ominous word to usefor the parent of a missing child.
I happened to hear the interview of bio dad and step mom done by Nancy Grace.
My perception was that they were uninterested and bored during the interview. They had difficulty answering basic questions about Karlie's clothing and the time line keeps shifting. Additionally, both of their speech sounded slurred. Very concerning.

Thank you so much for posting. Very weird.

The parents’ behavior is really off. Dad seems completely detached and oblivious. Step-mom alternates between smirking and sneering. She cried briefly but had no tears. They wouldn’t give Dr Phil staff the audio tape step-mom made. Also wouldn’t give any info about the witness/neighbor or their own home address. It seems to me it’s CYA situation. Why go on national tv show but refuse to disclose pertinent info?

I'm wondering if the SM and dad are worried about neglect? If both child and adult's voices were slurred, sounds like SM was under the influence, which may have made her not want to bring the kid into the ER. Did she also give her something?

I'm wondering if this is a case of some narcissism and neglect and defensiveness. It does seem the SM enjoyed the attention.

I have a feeling they were pretty angry with her that night though. And why lie initially?

From 3/25 show:

Wow-- today's show did nothing to redeem Dad/SM, and allegations they claim made against them!

First time in 45 years Dr Phil did not receive information from parents (Dad/SM) about their missing child to facilitate search including their home address and names/addresses of witnesses.

Dad/SM did not provide Dr Phil with audio recording of Karlie taken by SM. (SM alleges no video because she had phone in her pocket).

SM admitted her interview with Dateline was untruthful because it was "too early in missing investigation," and she didn't know what to say. Alleges producers would not let her correct her statements.

Dad/SM say FBI polygraphed them and test "turned out fine."

According to Dad, Karlie's considered a "runaway."

Dad/SM don't talk and/or would not appear with bio Mom-- stay tuned for tomorrow's show when Dr Phil finally allowed to hear Karlie's audio (and bio Mom appearance).

MOO
BBM
If she wanted so desperately for Dateline to do a show on Karlie why on earth would she lie to them? I’m not buying what she’s trying to sell. I think they’re going to regret doing Dr Phil show. If they feel people were already bashing them, just wait til they see the response to this interview. IMO it’s not going to be well-received.

Where is Karlie?

The dad's demeanor reminds me a lot of various parents in family law cases I have encountered that have an undercurrent of anger and apathy and selfishness. The type who get very defensive about their kids and their parenting but who often drink too much and are more concerned with child support than their kids. Angry road rager types.

I don't know if I'm explaining it well. But he is not coming across as a nice person IMO.

BBM
If she wanted so desperately for Dateline to do a show on Karlie why on earth would she lie to them? I’m not buying what she’s trying to sell. I think they’re going to regret doing Dr Phil show. If they feel people were already bashing them, just wait til they see the response to this interview. IMO it’s not going to be well-received.

Where is Karlie?

The witnesses are strange to me. When the first witness supposedly saw Karlie it would've been dark still. Wouldn't they wonder what a young teen was doing staring at the sky acting strangely in the dark? Would they ask her if she needed help?

Sunrise and sunset times in Bishop, CA - October 2018

Seeing the visual of how isolated their neighborhood is and how surrounded by impenetrable desert it is, it seems they would've found her quickly. Unless someone grabbed her. Where could she have gone? It wasn't hot that day. It was a high of 66. She would not have succumbed to the weather that quickly. Maybe dehydration if she was on something? But it wasn't hot. How could they not have found her with helicopters, drones, etc?

Bishop, CA History | Weather Underground

What time was she reported missing and where were the parents from the window of time during which she left the home until she was reported missing?

And what's up with the condition of the SM's vehicle that day?

After watching Dr Phil's (March 25th) interview of Karlie's bio dad and step mom, something seems "off" with their story. Dr Phil asked them if they took a polygraph. The bio dad nodded in affirmation, and the normally talkative stepmom sat there silent. No head nod. No affirmative answer. She may well have taken a polygraph...I don't know. Her lack of response seems unusual.
I am also uncomfortable with some of the statements the bio dad and step mom made on the show. I was listening closely and didn't hear any positive attributes assigned to Karlie by her bio dad and step mom. On more than one occasion the step moms lip curled in contempt when speaking about Karlie. Step mom also smirked (dupers delight?) when Dr Phil asked questions. They refused to let Dr Phil listen to the recorded audio the step mom made of Karlie mere hours before she disappeared. They refused to provide their home address to Dr Phil's producers. They refused to provide the names of witnesses who supposedly saw Karlie that morning. In a preview for tomorrow's show (March 26th), the bio mom states that her ex-husband (bio dad) told her Karlie was "just gone." That's an ominous word to usefor the parent of a missing child.
My perception was that they were uninterested and bored during the interview. They had difficulty answering basic questions about Karlie's clothing and the time line keeps shifting. Additionally, both of their speech sounded slurred. Very concerning.

"Well if you go, what would it be, north, up that way, from number 3, uh, that's uh, Chalfant, which..is..maybe two miles..."

The squinty-eyed nonchalance and casual attitude here is disturbing on this man. His kid has been missing for months and is likely dead? And he's acting like he's giving a stranger directions and could not care less about his child's whereabouts. What is up with this? Why is he not panicked?

Minute 20:57 or so.

It would've taken Karlie about 4 hours to walk to Bishop from her subdivision. Not sure how much traffic would be on the 6 at that time of the morning. But anyone could've picked her up. But what are the odds that it would just happen to be a predator? And not someone trying to help? I mean I know there are bad guys out there, but...

Google Maps

I also thought that was very odd that SM didn't speak up about the lie detector tests. Makes me wonder if they both really passed. Its easy to lie and say they passed; as no one could prove that they didn't. I doubt the FBI would release it until there is an arrest or shes found.

It looks really bad that SM was lying to Dr Phil. (saying she gave the Dr Phil show the info on the witness etc) Why would a person continually lie when trying to find their daughter? Just doesn't make sense. She was constantly giving Dr Phil the evil eye.

The dad imo is just so removed from the situation. Its like hes just there to do damage control. He said something that I thought was so odd. Something about being "foolhardy" looking for Karlie. I meant to rewind it but forgot. Anyone else hear that?

Holy crap, this is a serious train wreck.

Her poor mom! I saw her reach out in a message in the comment section of a Bakersfield 3 news segment on FB a while ago - and I had no idea about the case before then. I cannot imagine what a nightmare she's living right now.

From what I've seen so far, it appears that when the stepmom cries and there are actual tears, it's more about what she did or didn't do than her concern for her stepdaughter. Looks as if there are some feelings of guilt involved. They're hiding something, obviously - they may not be the ones responsible for her disappearance, but I have to wonder if something they did (or failed to do) somehow led to it.

I also thought that was very odd that SM didn't speak up about the lie detector tests. Makes me wonder if they both really passed. Its easy to lie and say they passed; as no one could prove that they didn't. I doubt the FBI would release it until there is an arrest or shes found.

It looks really bad that SM was lying to Dr Phil. (saying she gave the Dr Phil show the info on the witness etc) Why would a person continually lie when trying to find their daughter? Just doesn't make sense. She was constantly giving Dr Phil the evil eye.

The dad imo is just so removed from the situation. Its like hes just there to do damage control. He said something that I thought was so odd. Something about being "foolhardy" looking for Karlie. I meant to rewind it but forgot. Anyone else hear that?

I totally agree on the polygraph issue. What LE told them about the results may not necessarily be the truth. I'm guessing they didn't both pass.

Ugh, he's a glib liar. He cuts off his wife about the Dateline lie. Look how many excuses: "We were told not to say much of anything to anybody about anything [replete with lots of nonchalant head bobs]...it's too early, ya' know, it's...[squinty-eyed casualness again in an effort to seem reasonable]...it's just...we don't know what to do! There's no handbook for this, man, you just...[heavy sigh]"

So you lie?

He quickly cycles through four, separate excuses for lying to the media THEY contacted.

They lied because they were told not to tell anyone anything.
They lied because it was too early.
They lied because they didn't know what to do.
They lied because there's no handbook on this.

And he uses a lot of unnecessary, redundant words "anything" "anybody" "anything".

He seems used to lying. Used to making crummy things sound reasonable.

Oh gosh, I do not like these two.

The SM's attitude conveys contempt towards Karlie. She sneers; I think she could care less about Karlie. And the occasional dabbing at her eyes is ridiculous.

I think the term "Step Monster" is applicable here.

JMVHO.

Last edited:
The man seems nervous too. Dry mouth.

And those facebook lives? She seemed like she was enjoying the show. Enjoying the limelight and being the star. Wow, you guys. I don;t know what to say.

And they didn't show the worst FB live. Oh my gosh there is one where she keeps drinking water and then gulping with dramatic sighs etc. Its the strangest thing I have ever seen. And she was filming it in the bathroom. She was loving making those FB lives and being the center of attention. It was so creepy that I had to quit watching at the time. That was when there was a huge social media backlash against the SM

I'm just reading this one now and I haven't read the whole thread, so apologies if it's been discussed, but why do they live THERE?

Holy crap, this is a serious train wreck.

Her poor mom! I saw her reach out in a message in the comment section of a Bakersfield 3 news segment on FB a while ago - and I had no idea about the case before then. I cannot imagine what a nightmare she's living right now.

From what I've seen so far, it appears that when the stepmom cries and there are actual tears, it's more about what she did or didn't do than her concern for her stepdaughter. Looks as if there are some feelings of guilt involved. They're hiding something, obviously - they may not be the ones responsible for her disappearance, but I have to wonder if something they did (or failed to do) somehow led to it.

I couldn't see well. Did she actually have any tears? It seemed very forced. These people seem so fake to me.

The stepmom totally flinched when asked about the polygraph. Hard flinch. Something is wrong here but I don't know what.

And yes!!! I thought at first it was "fool hardy" but I played it again and he seemed to say "full heartedly". But that could've been a freudian slip.

It was in reference to whether he believes she is alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amberdw2021