CA CA - Karlie Lain Gusé, 16, Mono County, 13 Oct 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
The dad's demeanor reminds me a lot of various parents in family law cases I have encountered that have an undercurrent of anger and apathy and selfishness. The type who get very defensive about their kids and their parenting but who often drink too much and are more concerned with child support than their kids. Angry road rager types.

I don't know if I'm explaining it well. But he is not coming across as a nice person IMO.

Yes-- earliest allegations were that Dad was intoxicated when SM and Karlie got home, and why he allegedly could not give bio Mom much info/details about when Karlie got home. I've been watching him since the beginning of the case, and believe he started reciting what SM told him to say.

Regarding the witnesses, they said Karlie "resembled" the photo on poster as none of them knew or had ever seen Karlie before. Family had only lived in the neighborhood for about 5-7 weeks when KG went missing.

MOO

The parents’ behavior is really off. Dad seems completely detached and oblivious. Step-mom alternates between smirking and sneering. She cried briefly but had no tears. They wouldn’t give Dr Phil staff the audio tape step-mom made. Also wouldn’t give any info about the witness/neighbor or their own home address. It seems to me it’s CYA situation. Why go on national tv show but refuse to disclose pertinent info?

ETA the step-mom cried again and this time I did see a few tears but her behavior still seems really off
I wasn’t familiar with this case until today. I don’t know enough to have an opinion about the Dad and Step-Mom, as people or as to their involvement. I’m by no means defending them but I can say their behavior withholding the recording, their address and the witness’s address isn’t automatically damning to me.

Until the Watts case I really didn’t appreciate what happens to people caught in a full-on main-stream/social media frenzy. I know for a fact there were parties in that case that wouldn’t give their home address (even to LE!) or witness contact information by the time it was over. The witnesses who saw her that morning no doubt have been harassed by the media (and probably accused of abducting her in social media) and her family members know this. For a variety of legitimate reasons they may want to avoid annoying them.

As far as the audio recording goes, it may be as simple as they don’t want their daughters ramblings to be made public. If I had a loved one who went missing and I happened to have a recording of them drunk and stupid from the night before I’m not sure I’d give it over to MSM either. They’ve provided all that info to LE and may feel that’s what really matters. And they very likely may have been advised by LE NOT to speak to the media at all lest it hamper the investigation. It’s all overwhelming and with a missing child probably hard to know the right thing to do.

I don’t dislike Dr Phil, but understandably his Brand is a top priority so Dr Phil chose to make it an issue. He could have discussed their reluctance to provide information w/them off-air. However he was personally offended they wouldn’t give him everything and launched into them on-air. I understand that he’s victim friendly and says he’ll keep information confidential but in all likelihood this family has already been burned by very reputable, nationally known reporters/news venues. MSM employs people who call victims/witnesses all day every day to get an interview. The people they’re calling are ill-prepared to deal w/the manipulative tactics (and even lies) these callers have honed to a fine art. I won’t fault Karlie’s parents if they were hesitant to trust Dr Phil 100%. And sincerely doubt he would have cracked the case when LE couldn’t simply by hearing the recording of Karlie’s voice.

Now, IMO most if not all of the above would go out the window for parents who fear their child is alive somewhere and in danger. I think most would do anything they could that had the slightest chance of bringing their child home safely — the repercussions! Karlie’s parent’s behavior on Dr Phil makes me doubt they believe she’s alive, or else they think she’s run away voluntarily and don’t really want her to come back.

And if that’s the case why go on Dr Phil at all?

The stepmom totally flinched when asked about the polygraph. Hard flinch. Something is wrong here but I don't know what.

And yes!!! I thought at first it was "fool hardy" but I played it again and he seemed to say "full heartedly". But that could've been a freudian slip.

It was in reference to whether he believes she is alive.
Never have I ever heard someone say "turned out fine" to their polygraph results!

I expected to hear "results showed no deception," or and "LE cleared us as persons of interest."

I agree with bio mom, and this couple is not telling all they know.

MOO

I wasn’t familiar with this case until today. I don’t know enough to have an opinion about the Dad and Step-Mom, as people or as to their involvement. I’m by no means defending them but I can say their behavior withholding the recording, their address and the witness’s address isn’t automatically damning to me.

Until the Watts case I really didn’t appreciate what happens to people caught in a full-on main-stream/social media frenzy. I know for a fact there were parties in that case that wouldn’t give their home address (even to LE!) or witness contact information by the time it was over. The witnesses who saw her that morning no doubt have been harassed by the media (and probably accused of abducting her in social media) and her family members know this. For a variety of legitimate reasons they may want to avoid annoying them.

As far as the audio recording goes, it may be as simple as they don’t want their daughters ramblings to be made public. If I had a loved one who went missing and I happened to have a recording of them drunk and stupid from the night before I’m not sure I’d give it over to MSM either. They’ve provided all that info to LE and may feel that’s what really matters. And they very likely may have been advised by LE NOT to speak to the media at all lest it hamper the investigation. It’s all overwhelming and with a missing child probably hard to know the right thing to do.

I don’t dislike Dr Phil, but understandably his Brand is a top priority so Dr Phil chose to make it an issue. He could have discussed their reluctance to provide information w/them off-air. However he was personally offended they wouldn’t give him everything and launched into them on-air. I understand that he’s victim friendly and says he’ll keep information confidential but in all likelihood this family has already been burned by very reputable, nationally known reporters/news venues. MSM employs people who call victims/witnesses all day every day to get an interview. The people they’re calling are ill-prepared to deal w/the manipulative tactics (and even lies) these callers have honed to a fine art. I won’t fault Karlie’s parents if they were hesitant to trust Dr Phil 100%. And sincerely doubt he would have cracked the case when LE couldn’t simply by hearing the recording of Karlie’s voice.

Now, IMO most if not all of the above would go out the window for parents who fear their child is alive somewhere and in danger. I think most would do anything they could that had the slightest chance of bringing their child home safely — **** the repercussions! Karlie’s parent’s behavior on Dr Phil makes me doubt they believe she’s alive, or else they think she’s run away voluntarily and don’t really want her to come back.

Thanks for joining this thread @Colorado303.

Been following missing Karlie since beginning, and I believe Dr. Phil's point in today's show was that parent's of missing children typically will do/offer anything to find their child, and in 45 years, he's never released private information or information asked to be kept private.

I do believe the audio of KB will be released on tomorrow's show that includes KG's bio Mom. I also think Dr Phil doing this show to assist bio Mom with getting information from Dad and SM, and not at request of the couple on today. MOO

I couldn't see well. Did she actually have any tears? It seemed very forced. These people seem so fake to me.

Only during certain times, which is why I realized the difference between her "emotional state" when speaking of concern for her stepdaughter and her emotional state in regard to what had gone on and what they'd done or hadn't done. Huge difference in the authenticity of her show of emotion, IMO.

Now, IMO most if not all of the above would go out the window for parents who fear their child is alive somewhere and in danger. I think most would do anything they could that had the slightest chance of bringing their child home safely — **** the repercussions! Karlie’s parent’s behavior on Dr Phil makes me doubt they believe she’s alive, or else they think she’s run away voluntarily and don’t really want her to come back.

Them not giving out witness info to Dr. Phil, okay. I can get behind that. That;s not what's throwing up red flags for me. Here is what is:

1. They seem completely unconcerned. Dad is very nonchalant, casual about the details surrounding this.
2. The laughed and giggled inappropriately several times during the interview.
3. The stepmom especially had hardcore Duper's Delight several times, just like Chris Watts.
4. The stepmom seemed super excited and dramatic and enjoying herself in her Facebook live videos she aired very quickly after the disappearance.
5. They contacted Dateline immediately after the disappearance but then lied to the program about details.
6. They had an interesting reaction to the polygraph question. Stepmom flinched but stayed silent when asked. Dad was pretty quiet when asked.
7. They had fake tears during the interview.
8. They did not take their kid to the ER despite her seeming out of it and terrified and hallucinating.
9. The area they live in, and the supposed direction of travel of the child should've made it easy for them to locate her if she was out wandering. It's a straight line. Then drones and helicopters? But no sign.
10. They has multiple excuses for lying about details of the disappearance, to Dateline.
11. Dad seems like a glib and practiced liar.
12. However, dad was nervous during the interview, with a dry mouth and lots of odd head movements. If my kid had disappeared I would be distraught, not nervous.
13. If they had been instructed not to speak with the media, why are they going on Dr. Phil?
14. Apparently, stepmom's voice is also slurring on the audio she recorded. We should hear that tomorrow.

If you haven't watched the whole show, do it. Their reactions are bizarre at best. I've definitely seen behavior like their's before and never with a good outcome.

Watched the show. Was the “friend” step mom was texting all night and all the way up to 5:30am, the boyfriend???

That’s odd

I get the sense that they were super angry with her for lying and being high. I wonder if they made that worse somehow, or didn't take her for help because they were also high. Neglect, abuse, tried to teach her a lesson with harder drugs that backfired? Dumped her in the desert or kicked her out in that condition to teach her a lesson of some kind? Did they partake with her and thus are responsible?

I think they were very angry. Especially the stepmom. Seems a dramatic sort who likes to make things about her, also.

Thanks for joining this thread @Colorado303.

Been following missing Karlie since beginning, and I believe Dr. Phil's point in today's show was that parent's of missing children typically will do/offer anything to find their child, and in 45 years, he's never released private information or information asked to be kept private.

I do believe the audio of KB will be released on tomorrow's show that includes KG's bio Mom. I also think Dr Phil doing this show to assist bio Mom with getting information from Dad and SM, and not at request of the couple on today. MOO
Dr Phils demeanor makes sense in context of at the bio Mom’s request. Just finished watching the episode and I’m still not going to fault them for withholding the audio, even if they were the only people ever to not give Dr P the info he wanted. But their demeanor, tone, facial expressions and body language were indeed sketchy at times. And I can only think of bad things that would explain their weird-as-hell reaction when asked about a lie detector test. Mom’s interview tomorrow will be interesting, but I don’t have a good feeling about Karlie’s fate. So sad!

Never followed this case until I watched Dr. Phil today. I didn't find anything too odd in their demeanor or answers. Remember it's been about 5 1/2 months since her disappearance so ones emotions would be expressed differently than if this occurred a week ago. jmo

Dad made it pretty clear they were on the show to get her face out there. The chances that Dr. Phil can do anything else is slim to none.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member