CA CA - Karlie Lain Gusé, 16, Mono County, 13 Oct 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Them not giving out witness info to Dr. Phil, okay. I can get behind that. That;s not what's throwing up red flags for me. Here is what is:

1. They seem completely unconcerned. Dad is very nonchalant, casual about the details surrounding this.
2. The laughed and giggled inappropriately several times during the interview.
3. The stepmom especially had hardcore Duper's Delight several times, just like Chris Watts.
4. The stepmom seemed super excited and dramatic and enjoying herself in her Facebook live videos she aired very quickly after the disappearance.
5. They contacted Dateline immediately after the disappearance but then lied to the program about details.
6. They had an interesting reaction to the polygraph question. Stepmom flinched but stayed silent when asked. Dad was pretty quiet when asked.
7. They had fake tears during the interview.
8. They did not take their kid to the ER despite her seeming out of it and terrified and hallucinating.
9. The area they live in, and the supposed direction of travel of the child should've made it easy for them to locate her if she was out wandering. It's a straight line. Then drones and helicopters? But no sign.
10. They has multiple excuses for lying about details of the disappearance, to Dateline.
11. Dad seems like a glib and practiced liar.
12. However, dad was nervous during the interview, with a dry mouth and lots of odd head movements. If my kid had disappeared I would be distraught, not nervous.
13. If they had been instructed not to speak with the media, why are they going on Dr. Phil?
14. Apparently, stepmom's voice is also slurring on the audio she recorded. We should hear that tomorrow.

If you haven't watched the whole show, do it. Their reactions are bizarre at best. I've definitely seen behavior like their's before and never with a good outcome.
I did finally watch the whole show and yours is a great list! I think some of the tears were real, but like someone else mentioned those happened when they were talking about themselves/their plight.

I think it was odd they spent so little time talking about her, the things she liked and what they love/miss about her. Not sure that means much since we’ve seen guilty parents rave about their “missing” child, but it was weird.

I agree if she was outside on her own travelling the desert by foot they would have found her.

Question for people who’ve been following this case, how credible were the witness accounts?— Especially the sighting where she was walking w/a paper in her hand looking at the (still dark?) sky. If something happened at home it doesn’t fit and if not and she really left on her own it’s awfully bizarre behavior.

Last edited:
I did finally watch the whole show and yours is a great list! I think some of the tears were real, but like someone else mentioned those happened when they were talking about themselves/their plight.

I think it was odd they spent so little time talking about her, the things she liked and what they love/miss about her. Not sure that means much since we’ve seen guilty parents rave about their “missing” child, but it was weird.

I agree if she was outside on her own travelling the desert by foot they would have found her.

Question for people who’ve been following this case, how credible were the witness accounts?— Especially the sighting where she was walking w/a paper in her hand looking at the (still dark?) sky. If something happened at home it doesn’t fit and if not and she really left on her own it’s awfully bizarre behavior.

LE says the witnesses are very credible. IMO I do think they saw her. Three different people saw a thin young woman walking early am. This is a very small subdivision. I can’t imagine that there was another girl walking that early on a Saturday.

One of the only theories I’ve heard that makes any sense as far as the eyewitness accounts.

They were actually seeing SM who was out searching for Karlie.

This theory arose because at the time of the missing persons report, SM said Karlie was last seen in a T-shirt and skinny jeans. SM went out looking for her and SM was wearing... a T-shirt and gray sweatpants. Eyewitness say they saw someone matching karlies description in a T-shirt and gray sweatpants. SM then changed her information to Karlie last seen in a T-shirt and gray sweatpants. So... eyewitnesses actually saw SM and not Karlie. It’s a theory.

I’m very interested in the eye witness who saw someone matching Karlie’s description on a property behind a barbed wire fence. If credible, how did she get there? Anyone else living on that property match karlies description? Has that property been fully searched?

One of the only theories I’ve heard that makes any sense as far as the eyewitness accounts.

This theory arose because at the time of the missing persons report, SM said Karlie was last seen in a T-shirt and skinny jeans. SM went out looking for her and SM was wearing... a T-shirt and gray sweatpants. Eyewitness say they saw someone matching karlies description in a T-shirt and gray sweatpants. SM then changed her information to Karlie last seen in a T-shirt and gray sweatpants. So... eyewitnesses actually saw SM and not Karlie. It’s a theory.

I just can’t imagine mistaking SM for karlie. They look nothing alike, totally different body types, age etc. but I get it’s a theory.

Thank you so much for posting. Very weird.

I'm wondering if the SM and dad are worried about neglect? If both child and adult's voices were slurred, sounds like SM was under the influence, which may have made her not want to bring the kid into the ER. Did she also give her something?

I'm wondering if this is a case of some narcissism and neglect and defensiveness. It does seem the SM enjoyed the attention.

I have a feeling they were pretty angry with her that night though. And why lie initially?
That's an interesting and IMO very possible theory. One thing I noticed is SM only seemed to get upset to in an effort to gain pity. She wasn't sad talking about karlie but she got upset about what people were saying or thinking about HER

I just can’t imagine mistaking SM for karlie. They look nothing alike, totally different body types, age etc. but I get it’s a theory.
Right? It’s hard to believe they could mistake them. Then again I sat through a class training PI’s and the eyewitness accounts of a 15 year old girl in a flower top ranged all the way up to she was in her 40s and a leather jacket. And these were people in the mind set of investigators.

I grew up in this same area, I lived just outside the town that is 12 miles away, the only source of services or stores -- Bishop, CA.

I will tell anyone who listens two things, this area is known to have tons of "older" pedophiles and sex offenders. I know this first hand when I was a teenager there was always creepy old men hanging around our local park and schools. If you look up the town on the California database it pop-ups like dots everywhere--really its pretty shocking. I personally believe that if she is still in the area still, she is being held against he will by one of these creeps.

Another element is that were she was spotted, at the adjunct of the highway--That highway is heavily traveled by long haul truckers going between Tonopah/Reno, Nevada and Los Angeles. Once you take highway 6 to Bishop, you connect to highway 395 and from there you can go south to Los Angeles, Las Vegas, San Diego, Phoenix--really the roads are endless. She could have been picked up by a trucker and killed or worse sold into sex trafficking.

One thing the police should do or should have was to look into trucking records and the one gas station in town that services semi trucks.

This area is so remote, almost 6 hours north of LA and 4 hours south of Reno, there is not much by way of services until you get down to the lower desert communities along highway 395 and the 14 freeway.

There is one gas station/rest stop in Coso Junction, its a chevron station its the only one open at that hour that is serviced by the semi truck, many truckers "camp" in the lot next to the store.

I personally think the police would have wise to investigated the cameras of the stores/gas stations along the highway, if she is alive and was alive after leaving the road/highway intersection sighting, she would have had to stop somewhere along the way; if she was hitchhiking of her own free will it shocks me that by now no one has every spotted her, not one.

Since I grew up here until I was 18 I feel connect to this case. Unfortunately I know what it is like to be a teen stuck in this small town, she could have just left with the hopes of going to a friends place or whatever happened at that party the night before made her want to run away. Has any of her friends come forward about what happened at the party ? (the step mom said she was scared and looked like she saw a ghost) is it possible that a boy could have tried something? I know from personal experience in this same town that is a real possibility..

This town is small, and so is the police force investigating this. It the neighboring county, the city of Bishop their police force should be working on this because they are larger and have more resources. Inyo Co (Bishop is the county seat) should also be in on this giving assistance where needed. Mono County is severely short staffed as there is only one in-cooperated town, Mammoth Lakes which is an hour away. The police needed to establish a multi county/city task force IMO. I think that they dropped the ball by immediately thinking it was a run away situation, there was no real evidence to suggest she left because she wanted to, they should have waited longer to make that ruling, but then again its a small police force, and lets be honest here they don't do hardly anything other then drug busts and speeding tickets, having lived there I feel like they just didn't want have to do any real police work.

To your last question - the witness' account of what karlie was wearing was different from what her SM said she was wearing but then apparently she changed the description to fit the sighting. Hmmm.

(I see now this was already mentioned, sorry!)

Interesting. Thanks! Any theories about why SM would be holding a paper lookimg up at the sky? Or Karlie either?

I grew up in this same area, I lived just outside the town that is 12 miles away, the only source of services or stores -- Bishop, CA.

I will tell anyone who listens two things, this area is known to have tons of "older" pedophiles and sex offenders. I know this first hand when I was a teenager there was always creepy old men hanging around our local park and schools. If you look up the town on the California database it pop-ups like dots everywhere--really its pretty shocking. I personally believe that if she is still in the area still, she is being held against he will by one of these creeps.

Another element is that were she was spotted, at the adjunct of the highway--That highway is heavily traveled by long haul truckers going between Tonopah/Reno, Nevada and Los Angeles. Once you take highway 6 to Bishop, you connect to highway 395 and from there you can go south to Los Angeles, Las Vegas, San Diego, Phoenix--really the roads are endless. She could have been picked up by a trucker and killed or worse sold into sex trafficking.

One thing the police should do or should have was to look into trucking records and the one gas station in town that services semi trucks.

This area is so remote, almost 6 hours north of LA and 4 hours south of Reno, there is not much by way of services until you get down to the lower desert communities along highway 395 and the 14 freeway.

There is one gas station/rest stop in Coso Junction, its a chevron station its the only one open at that hour that is serviced by the semi truck, many truckers "camp" in the lot next to the store.

I personally think the police would have wise to investigated the cameras of the stores/gas stations along the highway, if she is alive and was alive after leaving the road/highway intersection sighting, she would have had to stop somewhere along the way; if she was hitchhiking of her own free will it shocks me that by now no one has every spotted her, not one.

Since I grew up here until I was 18 I feel connect to this case. Unfortunately I know what it is like to be a teen stuck in this small town, she could have just left with the hopes of going to a friends place or whatever happened at that party the night before made her want to run away. Has any of her friends come forward about what happened at the party ? (the step mom said she was scared and looked like she saw a ghost) is it possible that a boy could have tried something? I know from personal experience in this same town that is a real possibility..

This town is small, and so is the police force investigating this. It the neighboring county, the city of Bishop their police force should be working on this because they are larger and have more resources. Inyo Co (Bishop is the county seat) should also be in on this giving assistance where needed. Mono County is severely short staffed as there is only one in-cooperated town, Mammoth Lakes which is an hour away. The police needed to establish a multi county/city task force IMO. I think that they dropped the ball by immediately thinking it was a run away situation, there was no real evidence to suggest she left because she wanted to, they should have waited longer to make that ruling, but then again its a small police force, and lets be honest here they don't do hardly anything other then drug busts and speeding tickets, having lived there I feel like they just didn't want have to do any real police work.

She and the boyfriend seemed very, very close and he's been relentlessly distraught and questioning on social media, since. Totally despairing. Infinitely more concern than her dad and step mom.

The fact of the case is that her parents were the last ones to see her. She was picked up by her step mother and not left with her boyfriend.

I found the two podcasts with Nancy Grace. The first one is with her bio mom Lindsay Fairley. The second one is with stepmom Melissa and bio dad Zac. There is a marked difference between the two interviews. I'm so frustrated and heartbroken for the bio mom-her pain is palpable.
From a statement analysis standpoint, there are so many red flags in what Melissa and Zac say during their Dr. Phil interview.
I did see that one of the theories is that when Melissa went to pick her up she was under the influence herself and hit Karlie with her vehicle. If Karlie sustained a head injury, that may explain her odd behavior. This also coincides with Melissa having her car in the auto body shop for front end damage and detailing the week following Karlie's disappearance.
I don't think Karlie is going to be found alive. I just hope they can find her period, so justice can be done for her.

Missing teen Karlie Guse's mom raises questions: 'I just don't understand' from Crime Stories with Nancy Grace

Karlie Guse stepmom admits: I gave the wrong description of my daughter's clothes from Crime Stories with Nancy Grace

Last edited:
Grain of salt, yes, but definitely an account that finally makes some sense out of SM and Dads most recent version of events, regardless true or not.

The SM's various misconceptions are impossible to dismiss, and as result, are forever engraved in my mind. When i was listening to them discuss their accounts leading up to Karlie's disappearance I was constantly confused by everything they were claiming, then changing. I immediately thought SM was somehow responsible for Karlie disappearing due to her constant display of unnecessary dramatics and her many retracted statements.

I must say, though this article was actually very informative, its too bad it came much too late. If i would have read something like this in the beginning, and SM didnt run off at the mouth then Id have a very different take on this case. However, after the number of inconsistancies said by SM, and the period of time elapsed since Karlie's disappearance, its only about time that SM and dad have finally come up with a believable story. Took long enough, but, too little, too late.

From what I gathered here, looks as though there was only one confirmed witness, not four, and its the jacuzzi man, said to be a retired LA County Sheriff and neighbor to the Guse's. However, nothing was mentioned about the piece of paper she had in her hand as he had supposedly reported to SM. I guess she's expecting everyone to forget she ever made that detail up, much like every other word that had initially come out of her mouth. Maybe Chalfant Valley has a soft spot for her but i cant find it in myself to relate to their feelings.

As for Madelyn Lingenfelter's disappearance, I have been following her case since the day she went missing. I just cant see any connection between Karlie and Maddy's cases. Sounds like more nonsense SM and dad are throwing out there to keep the spotlight from landing on them. IMO, Maddy was severely depressed and i believe that she took her own life. I cannot see any relation whatsoever with these two cases, and i have no clue why anyone would even think that. Deflection at its best.

I'm bumping this because it answers some questions about the witnesses.

If you research sunrise on Oct 13th 2018, it was dark at the time KG Supposedly went walking at seen by neighbor. The neighbor said he was sitting in his hot tub, there is an anon pic of this neighbors hot tub which is surrounded by trees. With the fact it was dark and view obstructed by trees, this is not a credible sighting. The temp that morning was cold and therefore she would have needed a jacket.
In SM first video she had on white shirt and grayish pants, she also "retraced" those steps same day. Let's also not forget SM kept saying in her videos that she might be "disoriented" and fell and bumped her head. Isnt that a weird thing to say when your young step daughter just went missing without a trace? She also said she drove her car in desert over "boulders" looking for her instead of calling friends, family etc asking if anyone had seen her?
The whole case has been off and inconsistent. Not once has SM/and or dad gone public pleading for her return. If it was my child, people would get get sick of seeing my face!

Bumping this as well. Where did we get the witness info that he was in a hot tub?

To my list I should have added the inconsistencies.

Dad saying he was passed out when Karlie came home. Then changing it to in her room with her standing in the corner saying she was afraid of him.

The stepmom changing her story about what Karlie was wearing.

Changing her story about the morning routine.

What else did they change?

Last edited:
Bumping this as well. Where did we get the witness info that he was in a hot tub?
Three Witnesses
Three witnesses came forward to say they saw Karlie in the early morning hours of October 13.

Richard Eddy, 78, is a retired Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department employee who lives down the street from the Gusé family.

Between 6:30 a.m. and 6:45 a.m., Eddy was sipping coffee and relaxing in his Jacuzzi. He looked out the window of the enclosed room and saw a tall, slender female with long hair walk by. bbm

“She was looking up, looking around at the sky,” he said.

Two other witnesses would tell the Mono County Sheriff’s Office that they saw Karlie that morning near White Mountain Estates Road and Highway 6.

Route 6, also known as the Grand Army of The Republic Highway, is a major highway that runs east-northeast from Bishop, California to Provincetown, Massachusetts.
https://crimeola.com/karlie-guse-wiki/

ETA: I believe it was mostly reported in social media.

I found the two podcasts with Nancy Grace. The first one is with her bio mom Lindsay Fairley. The second one is with stepmom Melissa and bio dad Zac. There is a marked difference between the two interviews. I'm so frustrated and heartbroken for the bio mom-her pain is palpable.
From a statement analysis standpoint, there are so many red flags in what Melissa and Zac say during their Dr. Phil interview.
I did see that one of the theories is that when Melissa went to pick her up she was under the influence herself and hit Karlie with her vehicle. If Karlie sustained a head injury, that may explain her odd behavior. This also coincides with Melissa having her car in the auto body shop for front end damage and detailing the week following Karlie's disappearance.
I don't think Karlie is going to be found alive. I just hope they can find her period, so justice can be done for her.

Missing teen Karlie Guse's mom raises questions: 'I just don't understand' from Crime Stories with Nancy Grace

Karlie Guse stepmom admits: I gave the wrong description of my daughter's clothes from Crime Stories with Nancy Grace

If this was the case, wouldn't you think that the police would have searched dixon lane (the road SM picked Karlie up on) maybe for blood platters on the road if she did sustain a head injury? Either way this whole story is so sad. I live in Bishop so you can't turn a corner without seeing her missing flyer on all the telephone poles and windows.

Three Witnesses
Three witnesses came forward to say they saw Karlie in the early morning hours of October 13.

Richard Eddy, 78, is a retired Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department employee who lives down the street from the Gusé family.

Between 6:30 a.m. and 6:45 a.m., Eddy was sipping coffee and relaxing in his Jacuzzi. He looked out the window of the enclosed room and saw a tall, slender female with long hair walk by. bbm

“She was looking up, looking around at the sky,” he said.

Two other witnesses would tell the Mono County Sheriff’s Office that they saw Karlie that morning near White Mountain Estates Road and Highway 6.

Route 6, also known as the Grand Army of The Republic Highway, is a major highway that runs east-northeast from Bishop, California to Provincetown, Massachusetts.
https://crimeola.com/karlie-guse-wiki/

ETA: I believe it was mostly reported in social media.
7:03 AM
Saturday, October 13, 2018 (PDT)
Sunrise in Mono County, CA
So how dark was it outside that morning??

Never followed this case until I watched Dr. Phil today. I didn't find anything too odd in their demeanor or answers. Remember it's been about 5 1/2 months since her disappearance so ones emotions would be expressed differently than if this occurred a week ago. jmo

Yes. Shouldn't they be more distraught after so much time has passed without hope?

But okay, I mean look, I've seen parents skewered for not showing enough emotion. Like Elizabeth Smart's dad. So I get that everyone isn't going to react the same way.

But there's a difference between wooden, or calm, or emotionless and glib, nonchalant and casual.

There's a difference between not crying and laughing, giggling and smiling sneakily.

They changed their stories several times. They admitted to lying to media they've themselves contacted and then they have four different excuses for lying.

The dad doesn't just look like he doesn't care, he looks like he's not being honest. Like he's trying to deflect and make strange things sound reasonable. He sounds like a total liar to me. In fact his behavior is in some ways more concerning to me than SM's.

Something feels wrong here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member