TX - Elizabeth Barraza, 29, murdered setting up garage sale, Harris County, Jan 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't believe it has been two months now since Elizabeth was brutally murdered and still no arrests have been made.

This case is on my mind often because this was a local crime for me and I cannot wrap my mind around how the person who did this has seemingly walked away scot-free! Justice needs to be served.

As it seems that no one in Elizabeth’s life seemed to stand out as a likely suspect right away, makes me wonder if this killer was an “internet only” casual contact who no one else even knows to look for. Maybe someone Liz did not even engage with but who followed her and developed a grudge of some kind. If so, could be impossible to trace. But with the video, it is bizarre that seemingly nothing of value was determined as yet...jmo

I can't believe it has been two months now since Elizabeth was brutally murdered and still no arrests have been made.

This case is on my mind often because this was a local crime for me and I cannot wrap my mind around how the person who did this has seemingly walked away scot-free! Justice needs to be served.

I can’t believe there’s been no arrests either. I really thought it would be solved quickly

I thought the killer had acted emotionally and stupidly and would soon be recognized—as a jealous gf or a money dispute type of beef

Looks like the killer knew there was no visible connection beteeen them to worry about?

I really hope this isn't a son of sam kinda thing where someone's dog tells them to go out and start shooting people. If there's no connection to the victim, we may need to wait for the perp to get caught with evidence of some kind or be implicated in a future or past crime. If there was some sort of connection to the victim, one would think LE would have found it - through interviews and review of electronic communications.

I really hope this isn't a son of sam kinda thing where someone's dog tells them to go out and start shooting people. If there's no connection to the victim, we may need to wait for the perp to get caught with evidence of some kind or be implicated in a future or past crime. If there was some sort of connection to the victim, one would think LE would have found it - through interviews and review of electronic communications.
LE may not have been able to get search warrants YET for all electronic communication devices that could be involved in this murder. It can be challenging to find criminal evidence of burner phone usage in a large neighborhood where thousands of phones are hitting off the same cell tower. It's also more challenging to get search warrants on business phones of people associated with the victim. It's possible that the killer is connected to the victim, but became "involved" through social interactions, not electronic, which were done secretly.

Last edited:

The way Liz jumps back (in the video) when the shooter shows her something or says something to her right before the first shots, pretty much says that Liz knew the shooter and was shocked and surprised by it.

Last edited:
Yeah, a little strange that no one in the family seems to do this.
I wouldn't look to0 far into this - my own family is extremely private and I can assure you that regardless of the circumstances we would not be holding any public mourning events. We would likely stay out of the public eye completely and deal with LE privately. We would ask friends and family to do the same. But I can only speak for my family.

Or shocked that, a person that She Knew or Loved would be holding the gun?

I also think she jumped because she saw the gun. She didn't turn to run though, so although shocked, I'm wondering if she did indeed somewhat know this person and was trying to think of what in the world was going on. I can see initially not thinking anything of someone walking up, you're setting up a garage sale, not out of the question for someone driving by to work to stop and ask a question before you are "open". So to me, it looks like she is waiting to see what their question is, sees the gun, jumps........but then doesn't try to turn and run. It could be from shock holding her in place, or, did she know who it was and so was frightened, but not scared. I honestly don't know what I would do if someone just pulled out a gun. Part of me says running would make them shoot me no matter what, where if I stood still, maybe, just maybe I could talk them down. But then I don't know if I could stand there without TRYING to at least get away. I have no idea what I would do :(

I also think she jumped because she saw the gun. She didn't turn to run though, so although shocked, I'm wondering if she did indeed somewhat know this person and was trying to think of what in the world was going on. I can see initially not thinking anything of someone walking up, you're setting up a garage sale, not out of the question for someone driving by to work to stop and ask a question before you are "open". So to me, it looks like she is waiting to see what their question is, sees the gun, jumps........but then doesn't try to turn and run. It could be from shock holding her in place, or, did she know who it was and so was frightened, but not scared. I honestly don't know what I would do if someone just pulled out a gun. Part of me says running would make them shoot me no matter what, where if I stood still, maybe, just maybe I could talk them down. But then I don't know if I could stand there without TRYING to at least get away. I have no idea what I would do :(
Actually this is well articulated. This seems like the scenario at hand, since it video) wasn't to clear, im not sure what a different reaction would have been if she did know the person. My thoughts have been she/he was known to Liz thru contacts or a loose association. For the placement of her home, deep inside a community, this leans more targeted since the timing would have lead to either people being witness, leaving for work. Or/and cold execution driving up with a loaded weapon knowing the routine of the neighborhood and scoping it out moments before.

When I watched the video, the things I noted were, and in my opinion only of course:
The clothing - lightweight raincoat or unlined trench coat without its tie belt - not a bathrobe.
The intentional walk or stride of the perp - male.
The surprise of the victim - she must not have heard the perp approach, indicative of soft soled shoes combined with her making noise setting up sale items.
Has the perp trained to sneak up on people - military background - male.
The victim is either frozen in shock or fear, or the perp has told her not to move. Likely a commanding fear-inducing tone of voice so much so that she felt overpowered - male.
The outstretched, one handed initial shot, thickness and steadiness of the arm - male.
The lunge forward - male.
The additional one handed shots - size of the arm, steadiness, purposeful, intent on confirming death - hired hit - anger - male.
I really dont think this was a female. Too many mannerisms of a man including the vehicle choice, a truck.

When I watched the video, the things I noted were, and in my opinion only of course:
The clothing - lightweight raincoat or unlined trench coat without its tie belt - not a bathrobe.
The surprise of the victim - she must not have heard the perp approach, indicative of soft soled shoes combined with her making noise setting up sale items.
The victim is either frozen in shock or fear, or the perp has told her not to move. Likely a commanding fear-inducing tone of voice so much so that she felt overpowered - male.
The outstretched, one handed initial shot, thickness and steadiness of the arm - male.
The additional one handed shots - size of the arm, steadiness, purposeful, intent on confirming death - hired hit - anger - male.
I really dont think this was a female. Too many mannerisms of a man including the vehicle choice, a truck.
Has the perp trained to sneak up on people - military background - male Mozambique Drill exectution like..
The additional one handed shots - size of the arm, steadiness, purposeful, intent on confirming death - hired hit - anger - male. Also not tying up the long hair as it obstructed the face as well..

Plenty of women drive trucks, especially in Texas. I can think of several females that I know that have trucks. It is very common in Texas for females to drive trucks.

Plenty of women drive trucks, especially in Texas. I can think of several females that I know that have trucks. It is very common in Texas for females to drive trucks.
I figured of all my observations, that last sentence would prompt a response. It’s all good tho. So yes, I realize that, especially in TX. My little shrimp of a mother drives a big red Dodge Hemi. She has zero need for a truck.

<snipped>
BBM
It's rare to see this kind of coat in Houston. Hardly anyone wears one, let alone owns one. It's odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member