MO - Off-duty officer (Katlyn Alix) shot dead by on-duty officer (Nathaniel Hendren), Jan 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Judge changes conditions of bond for St. Louis police officer charged in Russian Roulette-style killing of fellow officer
Nathaniel Hendren, 29, will now be able to leave the house once a week to attend church

March 18, 2019

"...According to the order, details regarding the time and location of the services have been provided to the state, the court and will be provided to pre-trial services.

Prosecutors objected to the request.

Hendren had been on house arrest and monitored through a GPS device since being released from jail after posting $10,000 bond in late January...."

Judge changes conditions of bond for St. Louis police officer charged in Russian Roulette-style killing of fellow officer

katlyn-alix-03.jpg

I won't "victim blame". This was a tragedy. But maybe at 1am, she would have been better off at home, rather than at an officer's home, meeting with NH, who was clearly on duty.

I wish we knew more about why KA was there. It was clear that she and NH had a relationship, more than work friends. Yet, KA was recently married. I wonder if cellphone records can tell if KA was there frequently or if this was an anomaly.

KA's Mom has been quoted stating the same, and how KA hung out at the station-- even on her day off. I wonder how prevalent on-duty officers going home is? Appears little incentive here NOT to do it.

I hope we learn the truth about the relationship between victim and shooter sooner than later.

Also, glad to learn that "roulette" style gun play is something combat vets familiar with and/or at least heard about.

Last edited:
Officer Alix's mother told News 4 her daughter wanted to follow the path of her older brother.

"Katie enlisted when she was 17," her mother Aimee said. "I signed for her because that's what she wanted to do. She was following in her brother's footsteps because he did the same."

Officer Alix's mother also said that her daughter enjoyed the camaraderie of being a police officer.

"She loved her job," Aimee said. "Even on her days off, she would go visit her friends down there because like I guess when you're a police officer, (you have) that close bond with everyone." bbm

She added that Alix was often there when others needed her the most.

"Katie was one of a kind. There will never be another Katie. She was the most generous person, kindest person. If you needed her, she would be there," she said.
'Kindest person;' off-duty officer shot by on-duty officer is remembered for 'one of a kind,' generous personality

ETA: Video of Mom at link. Also, I presume "down there" refers to the precinct(?).

There's also a gorgeous wedding photo of bride and groom at link.

<Snipped quoted post>

JMO, I don't think that's healthy in any occupation. It's good to interact with people and live your life outside the workplace, cultivate hobbies, other interests and relationships.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think its fair to say they are "cultish." I know some people that love their jobs so much that even on their time off they hang out at their work place. For people like that, going to work isn't "work" at all. However, I do agree with Betty P that its probably not a good idea for police officers. They need to get out and mingle with other people to avoid the "us vs them" mentality see life through they eyes of non-police officers. I don't know if that could be mandated, but if I were a chief or supervisor, I would certainly encourage officers to not spend time off at the station and encourage them to get involved in activities that are not LE related. Balance is a good thing.

Nathaniel Hendren, 29, will now be able to leave the house once a week to attend church

March 18, 2019

"...According to the order, details regarding the time and location of the services have been provided to the state, the court and will be provided to pre-trial services.

Prosecutors objected to the request.

Hendren had been on house arrest and monitored through a GPS device since being released from jail after posting $10,000 bond in late January...."

Well, I'd be really interested to know exactly how many times a week NH left his house to attend church prior to killing KA with a shot to the chest.

Something tells me his church attendance rate is about to see a dramatic uptick over whatever it was previously.

<modsnip - unnecessary>

JMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
JMO, I don't think that's healthy in any occupation. It's good to interact with people and live your life outside the workplace, cultivate hobbies, other interests and relationships.

Not to disagree with you, but I can understand how this happens. Being married to an officer, their work hours are usually not like a 9 to 5 job. Many departments now work 12 hour shifts. Police and firemen dont get every weekend off, or every holiday, so people tend to hang out with people on the same schedule, as far as socializing. Its definately not a regular work week in most cases.

But why are you hanging out where others are WORKING? You're slowing things down for them and the business of their jobs. They're at WORK and their focus should be their jobs NOT off duty personnel who drop in to socialize.

The practice of off duty personnel stopping by to see coworkers who are at work is NOT something endorsed by ANY employer.

Real life is not like an episode of 'ER" or "SVU", people go to work, and then go home, to the gym, whatever, they don't hang out with co-workers 24x7. Even police officers have a life outside of work.

There was some reason KA was at NH's apartment that night. And I don't believe that it was to play "Reverse Russian Roulette".

Observe-up listening to set in ‘Russian roulette’-style taking pictures

Mar 29, 2019

"ST. LOUIS – A prosecutor says there has been no grand jury decision on whether to charge a St. Louis police officer accused of killing a female colleague while playing a variation of Russian roulette.

Judge Thomas McCarthy asked during a hearing Monday if there was a grand jury indictment against Officer Nathaniel Hendren in the Jan. 24 fatal shooting of Officer Katlyn Alix. Told no by an assistant prosecutor, McCarthy scheduled a follow-up hearing for April 29...."

Observe-up listening to set in 'Russian roulette'-style taking pictures

Observe-up listening to set in ‘Russian roulette’-style taking pictures

Mar 29, 2019

"ST. LOUIS – A prosecutor says there has been no grand jury decision on whether to charge a St. Louis police officer accused of killing a female colleague while playing a variation of Russian roulette.

Judge Thomas McCarthy asked during a hearing Monday if there was a grand jury indictment against Officer Nathaniel Hendren in the Jan. 24 fatal shooting of Officer Katlyn Alix. Told no by an assistant prosecutor, McCarthy scheduled a follow-up hearing for April 29...."

Observe-up listening to set in 'Russian roulette'-style taking pictures
That is interesting. A bit confusing. I'm not sure if in Missouri a GJ indictment is required for this or not.

That is interesting. A bit confusing. I'm not sure if in Missouri a GJ indictment is required for this or not.
It is confusing. Not clear if the GJ has heard the case, or if they heard and made no decision.

I guess when your country is known for it's fascination with all things GUNS, and has an organization like the NRA running things, you expect to read stories like this from time to time.
2 men accused of shooting each other while taking turns wearing a bulletproof vest
Wow! Turns out, those vests really do save lives!

Best line in that article:

Court records don't list an attorney who could speak on behalf of either man.

Pretty sure that's because all attorneys they contacted were rendered speechless upon hearing what transpired.

JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member