ACTIVE SEARCH SD - Serenity Dennard, 9, Children’s Home Society, Pennington County, 3 Feb 2019 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thank you for posting this.

I have to wonder why CPS would come in, if I heard that correctly, on Christmas Day and take a child who was with her grandparents and family. This seems to me to be extremely cruel. It was stated that to this day Christmas is a trigger for her (I think it was in adoptive dad's interview).

Short of a flat out extreme abuse or emergency situation, this outrages me.

We do not know how it came about do we? Perhaps we never will but as with everything, it just makes me ache worse for this child.

It sounds like Serenity had some possible development delays early on. However, without a consistent adult to pick up on up them, routinely talk to the pediatrician, set up early intervention, etc. Serenity fell thru the cracks. Add the trauma of losing the biological family all at once and it’s a recipe for failure. What a shame. Early intervention with consistent parenting, it is possible any developmental delays could have either been overcome, or greatly improved. Heartbreaking all around.

I do think bio Dad, with the right support system, could have raised her. He seems genuine, not overly dramatic, recognizes his own mistakes and owns them. As soon as he knew Serenity was missing, he went searching for her for days.

The state does not take children easily.

He had a period of time to follow the plan for getting his child back. Is it a year? Why did he not follow the plan?

Of course I do not know his legal team of attorneys, CPS, but in other situations where parents are on a plan, the state goes overboard, in mynopinion, to reunite the child and parents.

Foster care is huge money and finding foster parents is tough. The state really tries to avoid spending the money for foster care, IMO

There is a lot to this story. Mom was put into incarceration when the baby was six months old? What was happening in those six months?

The state does not take children easily.

He had a period of time to follow the plan for getting his child back. Is it a year? Why did he not follow the plan?

Of course I do not know his legal team of attorneys, CPS, but in other situations where parents are on a plan, the state goes overboard, in mynopinion, to reunite the child and parents.

Foster care is huge money and finding foster parents is tough. The state really tries to avoid spending the money for foster care, IMO

There is a lot to this story. Mom was put into incarceration when the baby was six months old? What was happening in those six months?

I don't think most anyone can argue this child had far from the perfect life nor any lucky breaks, just the opposite in fact. I do think the bio dad has regrets and at least faced his mistakes, seems to admit them, although I doubt we have the entire story from anyone.

I do think Christmas Day is an odd and cruel time to take a child short of a major incident and maybe there was such. There is much we do not know. While I think you are right and parental rights are not generally easily taken away, there has been overreach at times. Maybe meant with the right intentions... As stated, isn't the hope and intent to keep a child if not with parents, with family if it can be done, and she was with her grandparents? I do remember something back when of remarks that she had been with a couple of different grandparents and they could not handle her. I forget where that came from and in no way know it to be true but I read it on this site. She would not have been very old at the time though so I stress that I am unsure if that is true but it was said.

There is I am sure more to the story, none of which can be changed. She definitely did not have a perfect childhood, far from it.

I believe him for the most part, just my instinct. That, however, does not mean we have heard all or that there is not regret.

I am glad people are stepping forward for this child. If by some chance she is miraculously alive, I hope she gets to see just how many care about her.

I do not disagree with you, I am just where I do not know yet and we may never know... It appears her mom could have made different choices, her dad could have, her then adoptive mom could have not dropped out of her life, adoptive dad could have not pretty quickly upon adoption been with a new younger woman, etc. All speculation but these are things that we do know. Then she is in a home who knows the history and she goes missing.

It also sounds like she was in double digits of foster homes once she was taken from her grandparents on Christmas Day to when she was adopted... Not sure that is better unless the grandparent situation was so bad... I doubt it but who knows...

It seems to me that when one looks at the history, maybe making an effort to keep her with the grandparents unless there was a solid reason not to may have been the better choice because she certainly was not removed and then found some perfect life...

ETA: Always just my opinion.

Serenity+Dennard5.jpg

Pennington County, S.D. (KSFY) – Pennington County Sheriff’s office will continue search efforts for Serenity Dennard throughout the weekend.

Search for missing 9-year-old girl will continue through weekend

I don't think most anyone can argue this child had far from the perfect life nor any lucky breaks, just the opposite in fact. I do think the bio dad has regrets and at least faced his mistakes, seems to admit them, although I doubt we have the entire story from anyone.

I do think Christmas Day is an odd and cruel time to take a child short of a major incident and maybe there was such. There is much we do not know. While I think you are right and parental rights are not generally easily taken away, there has been overreach at times. Maybe meant with the right intentions... As stated, isn't the hope and intent to keep a child if not with parents, with family if it can be done, and she was with her grandparents? I do remember something back when of remarks that she had been with a couple of different grandparents and they could not handle her. I forget where that came from and in no way know it to be true but I read it on this site. She would not have been very old at the time though so I stress that I am unsure if that is true but it was said.

There is I am sure more to the story, none of which can be changed. She definitely did not have a perfect childhood, far from it.

I believe him for the most part, just my instinct. That, however, does not mean we have heard all or that there is not regret.

I am glad people are stepping forward for this child. If by some chance she is miraculously alive, I hope she gets to see just how many care about her.

I do not disagree with you, I am just where I do not know yet and we may never know... It appears her mom could have made different choices, her dad could have, her then adoptive mom could have not dropped out of her life, adoptive dad could have not pretty quickly upon adoption been with a new younger woman, etc. All speculation but these are things that we do know. Then she is in a home who knows the history and she goes missing.

It also sounds like she was in double digits of foster homes once she was taken from her grandparents on Christmas Day to when she was adopted... Not sure that is better unless the grandparent situation was so bad... I doubt it but who knows...

It seems to me that when one looks at the history, maybe making an effort to keep her with the grandparents unless there was a solid reason not to may have been the better choice because she certainly was not removed and then found some perfect life...

ETA: Always just my opinion.

Why would they remove her? There had to be reports. And it probably was determined that removing her right away was necessary.

Removal can only be authorized by a judge. They do not remove a child easily

Why would they remove her? There had to be reports. And it probably was determined that removing her right away was necessary.

I am not saying they did not. I have no idea if it is the same in every state nor what it was like back when, no idea whatsoever. I know I am surprised at the way the laws have changed today that I have not kept up with. For instance, I thought life in prison still meant life until not too many months ago, just for one example.

There very well may have been a good reason to go do so on Christmas Day.

Not arguing, just wondering the reason because her life was certainly no picnic after either. Whatever the reason, she had nothing but bad breaks or so it seems.

I watched the interview with the adoptive mother. When asked what her thoughts were when she found out Serenity had run away from the Children's Home, she stated she didn't even know she was in the Children's Home---she thought she was living with the adoptive father since he had physical custody. How long had she been in this Children's Home before running away? Since they had joint custody, one the think the father would have told the mother he had placed her in this Children's Home. I would think he would have been obligated legally, at a minimum, to do that. And how long had it been since the adoptive mother had spoken to Serenity, since she didn't even know she wasn't living with the the adoptive father?

Then I watched the interview with the woman who gave birth to Serenity. I'm not even going to go there or my keyboard will be smokin'.

I watched the interview with the adoptive mother. When asked what her thoughts were when she found out Serenity had run away from the Children's Home, she stated she didn't even know she was in the Children's Home---she thought she was living with the adoptive father since he had physical custody. How long had she been in this Children's Home before running away? Since they had joint custody, one the think the father would have told the mother he had placed her in this Children's Home. I would think he would have been obligated legally, at a minimum, to do that. And how long had it been since the adoptive mother had spoken to Serenity, since she didn't even know she wasn't living with the the adoptive father?

Then I watched the interview with the woman who gave birth to Serenity. I'm not even going to go there or my keyboard will be smokin'.
I can’t offer proof through MSM, so I’ll just say it’s my opinion that the adoptive mother had not seen Serenity in actual years.

I have seen the ones with the adoptive mom, today the bio dad, and read (not watched) the interview of adoptive dad and wife he has now. I have not seen the one of bio mom. It's that bad?

Adoptive dad and nowadays wife made it sound like she has been in the home since last summer if that helps. They also said allegedly she has run and hidden etc. before...

For me, I only have my own speculation of what happened between adoptive mom, adoptive dad and new wife and why she was not told or did not see her.

While opinions may differ, most I think would agree Serenity did not have an easy life and much went wrong.

Entirely jmo though.

I have the report per bio mom not sure if it’s accurate or if can even be posted but would be willing to share if wanted on here.

Serenity's dresser is mostly empty since she packed her clothes when she moved last summer to the Black Hills Children's Home, a residential youth treatment center.
South Dakota parents share missing daughter's story

I have seen the ones with the adoptive mom, today the bio dad, and read (not watched) the interview of adoptive dad and wife he has now. I have not seen the one of bio mom. It's that bad?

Adoptive dad and nowadays wife made it sound like she has been in the home since last summer if that helps. They also said allegedly she has run and hidden etc. before...

For me, I only have my own speculation of what happened between adoptive mom, adoptive dad and new wife and why she was not told or did not see her.

While opinions may differ, most I think would agree Serenity did not have an easy life and much went wrong.

Entirely jmo though.
I can give you the moms reason for why she was placed. In 2011 on Christmas Day, SD goes to visit bio dads parents per their request. Per bio mom, paternal grandmother is schizophrenic and goes into one of her rages. She calls LE and says “neighbors are coming in and rubbing lotion on them to sedate them and are sexually assaulting them”. At this point a LE supervisor comes in finds SD in a diaper with pen marks showing she drew all over herself and dss was called and she was taken away.

I've spent the last couple of hours reading and catching up with you all here. I can't even find the words to describe how gut wrenching these last 2 hours have been. How is it we can love a child we've never known? Be at peace sweet Serenity.

I can give you the moms reason for why she was placed. In 2011 on Christmas Day, SD goes to visit bio dads parents per their request. Per bio mom, paternal grandmother is schizophrenic and goes into one of her rages. She calls LE and says “neighbors are coming in and rubbing lotion on them to sedate them and are sexually assaulting them”. At this point a LE supervisor comes in finds SD in a diaper with pen marks showing she drew all over herself and dss was called and she was taken away.

Wow, I apparently need to listen to bio mom's interview. Is this where that came from? So bio mom called from jail to LE about bio dad's mom? Do I have that right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth