ACTIVE SEARCH SD - Serenity Dennard, 9, Children’s Home Society, Pennington County, 3 Feb 2019 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Praying they find her today, if she has perished, or some clue as to what might’ve happened to her. I have felt incredibly broken-hearted over Serenity and can only imagine what those who knew, cared for and loved her must be feeling. Her little 9 year old life was tragic. That any child has to go through that... yet at the same time I understand not being able to help a troubled soul, especially a child. We fostered our niece & nephew for almost a year with the intention of adopting if their dad couldn’t get right (he didn’t and lost them—they’re now separately adopted) and they were deeply troubled kiddos. We had to let them go because our bio kids were unsafe with them, and at the time I was pregnant with my 3rd and it was causing physical issues for me & baby due to stress and having to physically restrain one of them at times.

It’s such a difficult, sad thing :(

Praying they find her today, if she has perished, or some clue as to what might’ve happened to her. I have felt incredibly broken-hearted over Serenity and can only imagine what those who knew, cared for and loved her must be feeling. Her little 9 year old life was tragic. That any child has to go through that... yet at the same time I understand not being able to help a troubled soul, especially a child. We fostered our niece & nephew for almost a year with the intention of adopting if their dad couldn’t get right (he didn’t and lost them—they’re now separately adopted) and they were deeply troubled kiddos. We had to let them go because our bio kids were unsafe with them, and at the time I was pregnant with my 3rd and it was causing physical issues for me & baby due to stress and having to physically restrain one of them at times.

It’s such a difficult, sad thing :(

Love is not enough. Unless one has been where you are, no one can understand how difficult it is.

I remembered reading about a child that died from this type of therapy as I was reading this post. Attachment Therapy on Trial: The Torture and Death of Candace Newmaker

I am one of the c0-authors. This is the case that alerted people to the existence of this bizarre and brutal practice that started in the 1970s. While a number of states have outlawed "restraint as therapy" – the misconceptions about child development, the AD diagnosis, and high authoritarian parenting methods still are popular in adoption circles. And the high profile criminal child abuse and death cases linked to this practice continue.

I am one of the c0-authors. This is the case that alerted people to the existence of this bizarre and brutal practice that started in the 1970s. While a number of states have outlawed "restraint as therapy" – the misconceptions about child development, the AD diagnosis, and high authoritarian parenting methods still are popular in adoption circles. And the high profile criminal child abuse and death cases linked to this practice continue.

I remember Candace.

Do you have a child or know someone very well who has a child with RAD?

My friend’s child was adopted at age 4 from a Romanian orphanage. The sex abuse was truly bizarre on top of everything else.

I had a white, American child living with his mother that was diagnosed with RAD.

I was his personal assistant while he was in my classroom. I was the teacher but he was by me as much as possible to protect the other children.

He would set little traps to injure children.

When he left my classroom to go to a treatment school, the children totaled changed in my room. It was like they were freed.

I asked a mother who volunteerd in my room a lot if she noticed that the kids seemed different.

She said that the children were terrified of the boy and were relieved he was gone.

I remember Candace.

Do you have a child or know someone very well who has a child with RAD?

My friend’s child was adopted at age 4 from a Romanian orphanage. The sex abuse was truly bizarre on top of everything else.

I had a white, American child living with his mother that was diagnosed with RAD.

I was his personal assistant while he was in my classroom. I was the teacher but he was by me as much as possible to protect the other children.

He would set little traps to injure children.

When he left my classroom to go to a treatment school, the children totaled changed in my room. It was like they were freed.

I asked a mother who volunteerd in my room a lot if she noticed that the kids seemed different.

She said that the children were terrified of the boy and were relieved he was gone.

I am with Advocates for Children in Therapy, an organization that opposes unvalidated and potentially harmful practices. Our ears prick up when we hear about a child with "RAD" being described as e.g. violent, aggressive, manipulative, self-harming, or prone to running away.

Actual RAD is characterized by a child being just very withdrawn. No aggressive or violent features. See the official definition of RAD in the "DSM-5."

But there is an unrecognized diagnosis invented by an abusive fringe practice "Attachment Therapy," called "Attachment Disorder" (AD). Typical of a quack diagnosis, AD is a "catch-all" diagnosis, including violent features, plus every other sign imaginable. Every child taken to an Attachment Therapist is likely to get the AD diagnosis. AD is usually conflated with RAD, probably for financial reasons. This suggests that children with the behavior problems you mentioned are probably not getting a proper diagnosis or therapy.

Reactive Attachment Disorder vs. Attachment Disorder

I am with Advocates for Children in Therapy, an organization that opposes unvalidated and potentially harmful practices. Our ears prick up when we hear about a child with "RAD" being described as e.g. violent, aggressive, manipulative, self-harming, or prone to running away.

Actual RAD is characterized by a child being just very withdrawn. No aggressive or violent features. See the official definition of RAD in the "DSM-5."

But there is an unrecognized diagnosis invented by an abusive fringe practice "Attachment Therapy," called "Attachment Disorder" (AD). Typical of a quack diagnosis, AD is a "catch-all" diagnosis, including violent features, plus every other sign imaginable. Every child taken to an Attachment Therapist is likely to get the AD diagnosis. AD is usually conflated with RAD, probably for financial reasons. This suggests that children with the behavior problems you mentioned are probably not getting a proper diagnosis or therapy.

Reactive Attachment Disorder vs. Attachment Disorder
Thank you for this. I’m learning a lot!

Where does that info come from? RAD is not rare.

It comes from parents not responsong to their infants cries. How many parents do not respod to their infant?

Just a few? I think not when you think of meth and the opioid crisis

The incidence of RAD is described as "rare" or "uncommon." Source: "DSM-5" the publication of the APA which provides the official definition of disorders. RAD is caused by "extreme" abuse.

"It comes from parents not responding to their infants..." This is a popular myth started by Foster Cline, MD back in the 1970s; he called it the "Needs Cycle" (also the "Soul Cycle," "Attachment Cycle," etc.) He may have picked up the notion from Freudians. Cline thought attachment of the child to its mother begins a birth or earlier and that attachment is the result of having needs met. It sounds reasonable, but this is considered an unconventional belief in the field of child development. Actual attachment behaviors are believed to begin at about 6-8 months of age, not at birth, and are forged by shared experiences. I recommend the book "Understanding Attachment" by Jean Mercer.

AT Proponent — Foster Cline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member