Several' bodies found at Mandan, North Dakota business, 1 April 2019 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was the one who previously mentioned the auction asked for more info as I wasn’t familiar with them. However, I forgot to mention that the auction was posted as an event for people to RSVP to, on their company Facebook page. It was held Friday, March 29.

Thanks to everyone who has enlightened me on storage auctions. :)

Those "unpaid/abandoned" storage unit auctions are public auctions, yes.

The storage place near where I live has a big sign on the street and they have them about once every 6 months. I think they also run a classified ad in the paper about the auction because I think that is a legal requirement for them to do so.

As far as would the former renter of a unit ever be able to find out who bought his "stuff"?
That is a good question and I have wondered this myself when leaving with their stuff. LOL

I do know the auctioneer takes down full information for every bidder and they keep detailed records of the winning bidders on the units, so the information is available. Just not sure if a disgruntled previous storage unit renter would ever be able to get to that information unless through an attorney or something.

Im not sure i want to go to another one of those auctions now that you bring up that question. :)
Oh sorry. Didn't mean to worry you. I guess better to be safe, or at least aware. Time for and auction alias maybe?

Yeah, I cant remember if I had to show my drivers license when registering for the auction but I did have to give name, address, phone#, etc.

If I go back to the next one, I will pay attention more and find out if I had to show my drivers license.
Yes, do be careful.

After a point where the unit owner has not made payment, are they prevented from entering the unit and removing any of their belongings? I mean, if someone realized they had inadvertently left something of extreme value in there, can they get it out? Wonder if the unit owners would allow this. I'm thinking not without payment.

Yes, do be careful.

After a point where the unit owner has not made payment, are they prevented from entering the unit and removing any of their belongings? I mean, if someone realized they had inadvertently left something of extreme value in there, can they get it out? Wonder if the unit owners would allow this. I'm thinking not without payment.

My understanding is that after the owner/manager of the renting facility has attempted to contact the actual renter and failed to either contact him/her or failed to negotiate payment on balance dues, then the owner/manager will cut the lock off the unit and put their own lock on it. So if a previous renter comes back in time before it's contents is sold at auction, then the previous renter is forced to work through the management about his contents.

So long as he got there in time and worked with the manager, I am sure they would pull the unit from the auction if he arranged for payment of balance dues.

A "grasping at straws" theory: One of the Cobb daughters said her mother and stepfather had recently built their dream home--could someone have been upset about that for one reason or another?

Someone close to the couple could have known they would be at work early on Monday, and the other victims were simply in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I'm not even sure who I might put into the category of being upset at the Cobbs. Okay, I have one thought, but I cannot verbalize it here. Pretty way out there thought.

And no, I do not have any insider knowledge. Just a nudge of something from all I've read.

As to the storage unit auctions--my family has storage unit businesses, and WS posters human and Hatfield are correct. If a unit has not been paid for, or appears abandoned, we try to contact the renters by all methods, and we usually try for too long. Only then do we instigate our lien procedures for the unit.

In our state, the lien and auction process is dictated by state statute. A certified letter to last known address. After a certain number of days, an ad in the local paper to be published for two weeks, stating which unit will be up for auction, who the renter is, and when the auction will be held.

One missed payment, and forty-five to sixty days later, the storage unit can be emptied.

We don't want our renters stuff, we need the rental income in order for us to meet our financial obligations. We have told renters to just come get their things so we can re-rent a unit, we've taken loads to Salvation Army and Habitat for Humanity stores, hauled loads to the dump, and held auctions.

Also, usually to our detriment, we've held onto personal items (pictures of a renter's mother, who is now deceased, high school and college diplomas, financial paperwork, scrapbooks, photo albums, etc.) for months, either trying to find people or waiting for them to pick up their stuff. But in the end, we've tossed a lot that is, or we expected it to be, sentimentally valuable to the renters.

We've also given lots away, to folks who rehab furniture, individuals who give to senior centers, homeless shelters, etc., and family and friends who need a leg up.

I can see someone becoming extremely angry over losing his\her storage unit(s), depending on the circumstances. But to commit murder? That really goes beyond any normal angry response.

Iirc, the storage units auctions were on March 29 or 30, which is so immediately prior to the murders that it just makes me wonder if they are connected.

All IMO, as always.

The interesting thing to me is that we have these incredible rumors that can cause terror in the current employees and the community. And, the company has its own press conference tomorrow with news outlets reporting there is a private investigation. In conjunction with the request for tech support and the tip, the police need to come out with a new briefing cause this is not inspiring confidence in the idea that the community is safe. With a person of interest, it is important to get out in front of this.

An employee of RJR told KFYR-TV Wednesday morning they have no comment at this time, but are working with a private investigator and will be releasing a statement sometime in the coming days regarding the murders.

We will be holding a Press Conference tomorrow April 5th at 4:00pm. We will be holding this at our office.
Thank you.
Our page will be live at this time.

The interesting thing to me is that we have these incredible rumors that can cause terror in the current employees and the community. And, the company has its own press conference tomorrow with news outlets reporting there is a private investigation. In conjunction with the request for tech support and the tip, the police need to come out with a new briefing cause this is not inspiring confidence in the idea that the community is safe. With a person of interest, it is important to get out in front of this.

An employee of RJR told KFYR-TV Wednesday morning they have no comment at this time, but are working with a private investigator and will be releasing a statement sometime in the coming days regarding the murders.

We will be holding a Press Conference tomorrow April 5th at 4:00pm. We will be holding this at our office.
Thank you.
Our page will be live at this time.

Usually, the victim(s)’ loved ones appear alongside the police in pressers. Thinking out loud.

On the other hand, with the minutes ago (thanks, Trips) development of an arrest, events are happening very quickly.

Not sure what to make of it all, but fingers crossed they have caught the killer.

Usually, the victim(s)’ loved ones appear alongside the police in pressers. Thinking out loud.

On the other hand, with the minutes ago (thanks, Trips) development of an arrest, events are happening very quickly.

Not sure what to make of it all, but fingers crossed they have caught the killer.
When the frustration is that they haven’t said anything, and they actually do say something, I suppose that lends extra credibility to the statement that they have a POI in custody.

One would think.

I think “detained,” not arrested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member