Several' bodies found at Mandan, North Dakota business, 1 April 2019 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watching the whole video, the field reporter says this is a BCI case, and the POI was arrested at a bar nearby the RV park called the Captain’s Cabin (according to the bartender the capture happened around 3:00 today). The actual news anchor still refers to it as detained.

Had to Google the difference in detained and arrested, but Mercedes could probably explain it better and why there are both words being used. Just glad this case is progressing, all in all.

The text has been changed to "detained" now.

It still says arrest on the white overlay title in the vid?

What a strange angle to this... I mean plenty of you were speculating on some sort of revenge killing against RJR as a business. Hats off to the company for dusting off and going forward with the business. The reason I say that is, despite the enormity of the deaths and perhaps a weakly understood motive, if any of this new development pans out, the families and workers aren’t going to succumb.

Had to Google the difference in detained and arrested, but Mercedes could probably explain it better and why there are both words being used. Just glad this case is progressing, all in all.

I could go down the legal definitions between the two (arrest implies someone was read their Miranda for example) but I assume that the media simply uses the two terms interchangeably here. :)

I could go down the legal definitions between the two (arrest implies someone was read their Miranda for example) but I assume that the media simply uses the two terms interchangeably here. :)
I think there is a difference. Detained implies, IMO, the person is being held for questions and for determination if arrest is warranted. If person has an alibi for example, then he may not be arrested. I tend to have a huge hunch this guy will be arrested.

You would think someone who did a crime like this would be a maniac and go into fight mode, but not seeing that from the reporter. It seems the arrest, or detainment (since that’s how it is referred to on the Mandan police website) went down smoothly. Not for sure and IMO.

Arrest vs. Detention: How to Tell Whether You’ve Been Arrested or Simply Detained

Interesting article on the subject.

It is sort of hard to explain, but if you are detained for questioning, you are usually “free to go.” If you are arrested, you cannot leave, you are actually charged, your Miranda rights are read, you are taken into custody, and will be taken before a Magistrate within a certain amount of time.

Perhaps NickoD can explain it better, from a police officer’s perspective.

Arrest vs. Detention: How to Tell Whether You’ve Been Arrested or Simply Detained

Interesting article on the subject.

It is sort of hard to explain, but if you are detained for questioning, you are usually “free to go.” If you are arrested, you cannot leave, you are actually charged, your Miranda rights are read, you are taken into custody, and will be taken before a Magistrate within a certain amount of time.

Perhaps NickoD can explain it better, from a police officer’s perspective.

He did great, and thanks to you, too, Mercedes.

I have a name and occupation of the man detained from a few people in Washburn (its a very very small town. Everyone knows who everyone is)

But im not sure if name dropping is allowed without an official statement. His proffession kinda surprisese me..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23