Sentencing and beyond- JA General Discussion #9

Jodi Arias friend caught smuggling alcohol 'contraband' in his SOCK during prison visit | Daily Mail Online

EXCLUSIVE: Jodi Arias smuggling operation foiled when IT consultant friend was caught with alcohol 'contraband' hidden in his SOCK during prison visit to see the killer

Arias is appealing a life sentence for murdering ex-boyfriend Travis Alexander in 2008 by stabbing him 27 times, cutting his throat and shooting him in the head

Longtime friend Steve C. Joyner, 51, traveled from San Francisco to see Arias, 38 at Arizona State Prison Complex–Perryville, close to Phoenix, in February

IT expert Joyner set off metal detectors and told guards he had alcohol-soaked prep pads in his right sock.

The pads are often used by medical staff to sterilize an area of skin before administering an injection. Their foil wrapping triggered the prison scanner.

In documents obtained by DailyMail.com, prison deputy warden Bertha Willis banned Joyner from visiting or having phone calls with Arias for six months
Joyner refused to say what the pads were for but Arias has reportedly tattooed inmates for money. Tattooists use prep pads like these to keep the skin clean

Oh cry me a River. Juan gets convictions and puts dangerous people in jail where they belong. His style works for him to obtain justice. These cop killers and psychopath girlfriends (JA) just provide the material for these despicable humans for them to to hang themselves.

Any wrongful convictions from a case tried by Juan? .....*crickets* to the ACLU and Mr Kiefer who can’t wait to take down Martinez.

I hope nothing happens to Juan Martinez and his career continues to be fruitful in obtaining convictions for the (plural) committing the crimes.

He’s not perfect but a darned good prosecutor. In the end I hope this helps get him through this political firestorm.

Oh cry me a River. Juan gets convictions and puts dangerous people in jail where they belong. His style works for him to obtain justice. These cop killers and psychopath girlfriends (JA) just provide the material for these despicable humans for them to to hang themselves.

Any wrongful convictions from a case tried by Juan? .....*crickets* to the ACLU and Mr Kiefer who can’t wait to take down Martinez.

I hope nothing happens to Juan Martinez and his career continues to be fruitful in obtaining convictions for the (plural) committing the crimes.

He’s not perfect but a darned good prosecutor. In the end I hope this helps get him through this political firestorm.
THANK YOU!!!

I rarely post here but I’ve read every thread since the beginning of this case. I’m very impressed with the work everyone has done in trying to figure out how and why this murder happened.

Does anyone have an idea as to when we might hear a decision on her lying appeal?

I rarely post here but I’ve read every thread since the beginning of this case. I’m very impressed with the work everyone has done in trying to figure out how and why this murder happened.
In cases like this, it really does take a village to interpret one idiot. As it turned out, her most obvious motive to kill Travis (for him taking Mimi to Cancun and not Jodi herself) was less of a motive than all her manipulations combined that she had to silence Travis of revealing. What a twisted tale.

Me, too-he has done too much good for this witch to take him down.
He is still prosecuting. Avtar Grewal trial to start June 3, 2019, I believe. I'm going to try to follow this trial.

Juan Martinez Still Prosecuting Murder Cases Despite Seven Misconduct Complaints

'On March 30, 2007, Grewal allegedly brutally murdered his wife, 30-year-old Navneet Kaur, at her home in Phoenix. Grewal's arranged marriage with Kaur was a strained one. According to detectives, Kaur's friends said she was scared of Grewal and that though the couple lived apart (Grewal lived in Canada), he tried to control her every move. When she tried to file for divorce, he flew down to Phoenix and allegedly stabbed, suffocated, bludgeoned, and drowned her, then tried to kill himself, but failed.'

Does anyone have an idea as to when we might hear a decision on her lying appeal?

Not anytime soon, same as usual. All the opening briefs & replies have now been filed, though, so the COA's work schedule will dictate how long it will be until they issue their inevitable denial of her appeal. 's attorneys have requested & will likely receive the opportunity for oral arguments (unusual), so that will slow things down, again. Best guess for the wait is another 6-12 months.

He is still prosecuting. Avtar Grewal trial to start June 3, 2019, I believe. I'm going to try to follow this trial.

Juan Martinez Still Prosecuting Murder Cases Despite Seven Misconduct Complaints

'On March 30, 2007, Grewal allegedly brutally murdered his wife, 30-year-old Navneet Kaur, at her home in Phoenix. Grewal's arranged marriage with Kaur was a strained one. According to detectives, Kaur's friends said she was scared of Grewal and that though the couple lived apart (Grewal lived in Canada), he tried to control her every move. When she tried to file for divorce, he flew down to Phoenix and allegedly stabbed, suffocated, bludgeoned, and drowned her, then tried to kill himself, but failed.'

Hi, Pocket. :)

(If you follow this trial, I might too, depending on when it unfolds).

JM is still working because JM is still a kick arse prosecutor who runs circles around virtually every hapless defense team he faces in court. I suspect his skill & winning record play no small part in how despised he is by AZ's defense bar.

BTW, as a staunch supporter of the ACLU, I was particularly disturbed that both the state chapter & national org have barged in on JM's bar disciplinary circus (I actually called both to express my displeasure ;)).
Their amicus brief was factually inaccurate and sloppily "reasoned," an opportunistic piling on against JM, clearly submitted in the hope of helping to remove an extremely effective DP prosecutor.

AZ politics being what they are, though, perhaps ACLU's intervention will only serve to stiffen the Bill Montgomery's resolve to keep JM on.

State's response

I just read the State's brief for the first time. It contains a few nuggets of new info, all relating to LaViolette.

* on day 2 of JM's cross, she asked to be released from testifying because she was so "stressed." Stephens said no.

*this first attempt to escape JM's questioning took place in an ex parte meeting, meaning JM was excluded.

*Stephens offered to mitigate poor LaV's stress by excluding cameras from the courtroom during her testimony. LaV said she didn't think that would help, because the public "abuse" she was subjected to was caused by the mere fact she was testifying (foreshadowing 's later assinine claims about closing court altogether during her PP2 testimony).

Even richer, Nurmi also refused the judge's remedy, lol, despite his unceasing protestations about media publicity, etc.

Nurmi also rejected her suggestion that JM be notified about LaV's "health concerns," saying that he wanted the jury to "see the full splendor of who (JM) is."

*LaV tried for out again the next morning & was again refused.

* At some point during her time on the stand for cross, LaV actually RETURNED CALLS to at least some of the peeps leaving her disparaging VMs, despite having been explicitly instructed by Stevens to not discuss her testimony with anyone.

What a gal.

----

My favorite lines of the entire 180 pages:

"...() refuted her own self defense theory. She claimed at trial that the gun went off accidentally and that she did not realize she had even fired it.

But a person can't accidentally engage in self-defense; () couldn't simultaneously kill (TA) unintentionally, and kill him out of the belief that deadly force was reasonably necessary..."

-------

And yes, the State acknowledges a small handful of instances in which JM was overly zealous (the "mistakes" mentioned), but places those instances in context.

The State argues that none were indicative or evidence of prosecutorial misconduct; they were, worse case, isolated cases of unprofessionalism during an unusually long & high profile trial...so, big deal.

Last edited:

JM is still working because JM is still a kick arse prosecutor who runs circles around virtually every hapless defense team he faces in court. I suspect his skill & winning record play no small part in how despised he is by AZ's defense bar.

BTW, as a staunch supporter of the ACLU, I was particularly disturbed that both the state chapter & national org have barged in on JM's bar disciplinary circus (I actually called both to express my displeasure ;)).
Their amicus brief was factually inaccurate and sloppily "reasoned," an opportunistic piling on against JM, clearly submitted in the hope of helping to remove an extremely effective DP prosecutor.

AZ politics being what they are, though, perhaps ACLU's intervention will only serve to stiffen the Bill Montgomery's resolve to keep JM on.
@Hope4More!!! Great to see you here!!! Thanks for your wise & wonderful comments and updates!!! And kudos for calling the ACLU!

((Hope4More)), Hope you're well and I'm so happy you noticed my post!

According to the Maricopa County Superior Court site, cameras were granted for Grewal case, so we may be able to watch the trial live. Where? I don't know yet.
The Judicial Branch of Arizona in Maricopa County -

I agree on what you said about JM.
I, too am an unwavering supporter and believer of JM, ever since he took my breath away during trial, and always will be his little menehune.

Last edited:
I just read the State's brief for the first time. It contains a few nuggets of new info, all relating to LaViolette.

* on day 2 of JM's cross, she asked to be released from testifying because she was so "stressed." Stephens said no.

*this first attempt to escape JM's questioning took place in an ex parte meeting, meaning JM was excluded.

*Stephens offered to mitigate poor LaV's stress by excluding cameras from the courtroom during her testimony. LaV said she didn't think that would help, because the public "abuse" she was subjected to was caused by the mere fact she was testifying (foreshadowing 's later assinine claims about closing court altogether during her PP2 testimony).

Even richer, Nurmi also refused the judge's remedy, lol, despite his unceasing protestations about media publicity, etc.

Nurmi also rejected her suggestion that JM be notified about LaV's "health concerns," saying that he wanted the jury to "see the full splendor of who (JM) is."

*LaV tried for out again the next morning & was again refused.

* At some point during her time on the stand for cross, LaV actually RETURNED CALLS to at least some of the peeps leaving her disparaging VMs, despite having been explicitly instructed by Stevens to not discuss her testimony with anyone.

What a gal.

----

My favorite lines of the entire 180 pages:

"...() refuted her own self defense theory. She claimed at trial that the gun went off accidentally and that she did not realize she had even fired it.

But a person can't accidentally engage in self-defense; () couldn't simultaneously kill (TA) unintentionally, and kill him out of the belief that deadly force was reasonably necessary..."

-------

And yes, the State acknowledges a small handful of instances in which JM was overly zealous (the "mistakes" mentioned), but places those instances in context.

The State argues that none were indicative or evidence of prosecutorial misconduct; they were, worse case, isolated cases of unprofessionalism during an unusually long & high profile trial...so, big deal.
Haha, Thanks for the nuggets. I haven't read the brief. So she wanted to run away only after a day of cross, huh?

Not defending LaV at all, but sometimes I think she may have been given materials (journals, texts, emails etc) that were carefully cherry picked and out of context by Nurmi and Wilmott. Otherwise how could she get it so very wrong on every aspect!!

LOL at accidentally defending -self. I remember that portion of her testimony too. That it was the gun's fault, not her.

Hey Hope4More!
animated-smileys-waving-003.gif

Nice to see you back posting! Hope you are feeling good again!

Hope4More said:

re Avtar Grewal - no thread on WS.

maybe @pocketaccent - can start one.... ;)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back