NV NV - Steven Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - #22

I get it. But this would only be meaningful if the phone and the missing person were in the same location when the person in question went missing. And the location of the last ping of Steven's phone was identified. And it was nowhere near where the last search for Steven took place. It was far, far away.

Steven was either with the phone at the last ping locations or he was not, that is correct. Even if he wasn't with the phone at that time I think the ping location could provide valuable information about possible suspects (close to where they live, an area they know well, off a highway on their way home etc.) The I 515/Russell tower is the last ping that you are referring to I assume and I agree with you, this area should have been searched at least for the phone at the time of his disappearance. Whether or not that ping has lat/long info we don't know (or maybe you do Fairy1?) Are the more detailed phone pings/locations still available Fairy? I feel like I remember seeing some sort of Excel Sheet or something at some point, or am I confusing this with another case? Glovey is working on it and hopefully they will find something more.

I agree with you..the question is how did he use directions to different locations he drove to. I mean even the address where he parked the car. It's possible he took that address with him. Another option would be that he has been to Anthem before but I would guess the police checked his phone records to see whether he has ever been to Anthem beforehand?
Another possibility is that someone involved would have known where the car was and taken the keys and possibly gone through it to take any paperwork/addresses. Although that would possibly be on camera again the following days or later that day..not sure how much of the surveillance was checked in the days around his disappearance.
View attachment 176442
I attached a quote from user 'stilllooking' from page 22 in thread 1. She identified herself as LL's wife. She mentioned her husband would sleep in the car sometimes for business to avoid hotel fees.

Sounds like that is what SK could have been doing.

BBM. I find it quite coincidental that both landlord and SK would sleep in their car sometimes. (I think we can assume that either SK did or had planned on it, since he had a shaving kit with him in the car -and, I think, a pillow.)

Let me ask a question: How many here are aware of a friend who sleeps in his/her car? I'm sure there may be a few, but likely a very few. Especially SK. He doesn't seem like someone who would routinely sleep in his car. So many reasons, but some are: Where do you find a place that would allow overnight parking? Where it would be safe? Was he packing? How uncomfortable...etc.

Now, the fact that the landlord does it, and SK does it. Hmmm. Maybe the previous roommate was also a car sleeper. His family? I wonder how many of them kept shaving kits in their vehicles? The guy who asked SK to fill in at church for him. I wonder if he was a car sleeper? I can't think of ANYONE I know who keeps a shaving kit in his vehicle. None. Not outside the realm of possibility, of course, but just seems like an awfully big coincidence, that the prescription "business"/Porsche afficianado LL and SK both, during roughly the same time period, were sleeping ala vehicle.

Again it’s all so bizarre, he could have been to Anthem before but why ? A job, something else, it’s a retirement community I just don’t know what would bring him there. We know he needed a job so that could be a reason, but it’s a weird place , day and time to go for a job . But like I said there are people there working from home so it is within the realm of possibilities that he went for a job opportunity, which he could have found through a variety of ways.
Someone could have gone back to the car to remove things it’s a possibility because someone checked his voicemail so it could be a possibility that someone went to the car . And the car keys have never been found either. It would be interesting to know how much camera footage they had, like how many days worth, but if someone did go back to the car and didn’t pass the camera then they would have had to go around from the other way . Again weird.
It does seem like it , that SK and LL were doing a similar thing with sleeping in their car while on “business” .
So many things to ponder:rolleyes:

BBM: Yes, LL slept in his car while on business, and SK looks an awful lot to me like he's on "business": Business casual, portfolio/notebook in hand, waiting until a minute or so before the appointed hour (12 o'clock), etc. Looks an awful lot like a business appointment, rather than a social event. Even handing out flyers. Who waits until the clock strikes the hour to go hand out flyers? Who dresses business casual? Granted, probably a few do, but if he were handing out window-washing flyers, I'd sort of think jeans. At any rate, I think this "business" angle is part of things.

BBM. I find it quite coincidental that both landlord and SK would sleep in their car sometimes. (I think we can assume that either SK did or had planned on it, since he had a shaving kit with him in the car -and, I think, a pillow.)

Let me ask a question: How many here are aware of a friend who sleeps in his/her car? I'm sure there may be a few, but likely a very few. Especially SK. He doesn't seem like someone who would routinely sleep in his car. So many reasons, but some are: Where do you find a place that would allow overnight parking? Where it would be safe? Was he packing? How uncomfortable...etc.

Now, the fact that the landlord does it, and SK does it. Hmmm. Maybe the previous roommate was also a car sleeper. His family? I wonder how many of them kept shaving kits in their vehicles? The guy who asked SK to fill in at church for him. I wonder if he was a car sleeper? I can't think of ANYONE I know who keeps a shaving kit in his vehicle. None. Not outside the realm of possibility, of course, but just seems like an awfully big coincidence, that the prescription "business"/Porsche afficianado LL and SK both, during roughly the same time period, were sleeping ala vehicle.

Right! Plus what kind of legitimate business wouldn't allow for a hotel stay or official sleeping arrangement.

Well I don’t have a car now because I live in the uk ( public transport is cheaper and easier) but I’m from Australia so when I lived there I did have a car. I only ever slept in my car once. One of my workmates had a 18th or a 21st birthday (totally cannot remember which , but I know it was a big birthday) on her property. She kind of lived on farm , her family had a massive piece of land and because it was a long way from where I lived she said sleep in my car because it would be easy and I could drive home next day. TBH it was uncomfortable, cold and a bit scary ,sometime towards the morning I heard people speaking outside my car. I was a bit freaked out. They were ok , I think they were people from the party but yeah it’s not something I enjoyed. I also don’t really know anyone who sleeps in their car on a regular basis, but quite a few people at the party did sleep in their car. It seems a bit weird to sleep in your car tbh, but I’m sure many people do.

I feel like the shaving kit is a little weird too, I mean if you shave before you go then you should be fine for a couple of days. The hair isn’t going grow into a full on beard with in a few days. It’s like he may have been gone for many days at a time or a week to be needing a shaving kit. But we just don’t know. Maybe he bought it just in case he needed to touch up , just to make sure he looked really neat and tidy. I mean there’s not many pics of him with any sort of beard or even a 5 o’clock shadow. I think I’ve only seen one pic like that. He seems like he liked to be clean shaven.

BBM: Yes, LL slept in his car while on business, and SK looks an awful lot to me like he's on "business": Business casual, portfolio/notebook in hand, waiting until a minute or so before the appointed hour (12 o'clock), etc. Looks an awful lot like a business appointment, rather than a social event. Even handing out flyers. Who waits until the clock strikes the hour to go hand out flyers? Who dresses business casual? Granted, probably a few do, but if he were handing out window-washing flyers, I'd sort of think jeans. At any rate, I think this "business" angle is part of things.

This is what I find so odd , some aspects scream job meeting and some aspects don’t. Like the place (upscale retirement community) and day (Sunday) , also that Steven should have been at church. But being dressed nice, carrying a folder (maybe), time arrives 6 minutes to 12pm. It definitely seems like a planned meeting.

I don't find anything wired about sleeping in the car. Suppose you have to drive 10 hours. Is it worth the cost of a hotel room to stay overnight when a couple of hour nap would allow you to continue the drive, especially when driving alon?.
I almost always napped along the way on my GA to south FL trips, and my GA to OH or PA trips.

This just makes me think of a friend who worked in home health who was helping an elderly lady with her prescriptions. The nurse found out she'd been prescribed Oxycontin for at least three years, on auto subscription, renewed by the doctor each time, though she said she took it a few times and didn't like how she felt on it. My friend had to call the police to come and remove that large number of pills. A less ethical person could have had quite the financial windfall selling those drugs on the street,

Steven was either with the phone at the last ping locations or he was not, that is correct. Even if he wasn't with the phone at that time I think the ping location could provide valuable information about possible suspects (close to where they live, an area they know well, off a highway on their way home etc.) The I 515/Russell tower is the last ping that you are referring to I assume and I agree with you, this area should have been searched at least for the phone at the time of his disappearance. Whether or not that ping has lat/long info we don't know (or maybe you do Fairy1?) Are the more detailed phone pings/locations still available Fairy? I feel like I remember seeing some sort of Excel Sheet or something at some point, or am I confusing this with another case? Glovey is working on it and hopefully they will find something more.

Thank you Fairy1. Its sadly true. This case is sad in that, LE has no further resources beyond criminal cases to investigate. Only so much tax money ya know. Priorities way heavy. With out a body there's no crime other than SK is still missing and know one knows where he is or what happened. That is in and of itself, a crime. We (the team) will be discussing these known pings very soon. There are two in particular however, which provide a longitude and latitude. One matches up with the known pings, the other does not. The other has piqued our interest.

I really hope something can come of this new info on the pings. This case needs something, a new direction to go in would be so good, I’ve said before I didn’t know if the pings had been triangulated to their specific location or if they could get more accurate location.
It seems to end at that hwy Russell Road where the phone went dead. I think this needs to be searched again.
I hope Glovey can give us some new info.
I do agree though it won’t be solved unless Steven is found Alive/deceased, or someone who actually knows something comes forward with information.
I know there’s no body but it’s very suspicious circumstances and exactly it just screams crime to me , like I said before I don’t see him not seeing his family.

I don't find anything wired about sleeping in the car. Suppose you have to drive 10 hours. Is it worth the cost of a hotel room to stay overnight when a couple of hour nap would allow you to continue the drive, especially when driving alon?.
I almost always napped along the way on my GA to south FL trips, and my GA to OH or PA trips.

Tbh I think it’s something people do or don’t do. But I do get you, when you’re on a long trip you need to pull over and sleep. For me though I’ve never done any long driving trips so I’ve never had to sleep in my car for that reason but there probably plenty of people who do , especially in America because it’s huge place with many places to see. Don’t know if you know on YouTube loads of people post videos about vanlife. They do up sprinter vans on the inside with all the things you need like bed, small kitchen and they travel around the usa and obviously have to pull over to sleep. Some people have had scary experiences though.
I think I wouldn’t mind to sleep in my car if I knew the area was safe.

This just makes me think of a friend who worked in home health who was helping an elderly lady with her prescriptions. The nurse found out she'd been prescribed Oxycontin for at least three years, on auto subscription, renewed by the doctor each time, though she said she took it a few times and didn't like how she felt on it. My friend had to call the police to come and remove that large number of pills. A less ethical person could have had quite the financial windfall selling those drugs on the street,

It seems convenient that Stevens LL has prescription pill business and Steven goes missing in a retirement community, where you could get access to those kind of pills.

I would like to know from Glovey if they are looking into this angle of Stevens case or if they are not. If not then why or why not.
I would just be very interested to know what the police or the investigators think about this. Also if they have any other theories.

Valiant, what would be interesting to know from the family/friends is if they thought this was usual for him.

It would be interesting, I can’t remember if I heard the family say if it was unusual for Steven to sleep in the car.

Here is the statement from his cousin regarding that:
@Naegle said earlier in this threat "You have it right. Steven's been known to sleep in his car if he's traveling alone. He did have a shaving kit in the car with him and... losts of coats. I don't know what to think about that."

Hi there. I've not heard anything new for ages. I don't see it going anywhere unless Steven's remains are found or LE questions the right person or persons.

As far as a Neighborhood Watch goes, I'd find it a bit difficult to believe. I've been there several times and have never seen a soul out and about. If they were watching, it was from inside their homes. And no one in that neighborhood claims to have seen Steven.

The thing I don’t get is that for being a retirement community you would think that the people who live there would be frightened to know that a person disappeared in their neighbourhood considering that they are elderly people ( although only one person needs to be over 55 years old IIRC ) but still I would be frightened to know that one of my neighbors could have something to do with someone disappearing.
You would think the Neighborhood Watch would be all over that.
I also don’t buy the lady in suv didn’t see Steven , I know she was cleared, I think she did but she doesn’t remember because as she drives in Steven walks past , you see that on the camera and in my opinion she is probably the best witness they have. But unfortunately memory fades, but I feel like it’s such a quiet little cul de sac , she would have driven past Stevens car as she turned around in the cul de sac and pulled up outside the house and she could have seen down evening lights as she got out of her car if she was looking in that direction and also being a lady for myself, obviously Steven is a guy parking his car not in front of a house so wouldn’t you be more mindful and suspicious because one it’s a guy and two Steven parked not in front of a home , so wouldn’t you wonder why or at least pay attention to him. Being a lady I try to always be mindful of people around me.
I just can’t believe no body saw him.

Here is the statement from his cousin regarding that:
@Naegle said earlier in this threat "You have it right. Steven's been known to sleep in his car if he's traveling alone. He did have a shaving kit in the car with him and... losts of coats. I don't know what to think about that."

Ahhh yes I do remember that now ;)

LL wife mentioned that she peeked into his room on what she recalled was Monday morning since they had stayed at the rental overnight on the day he disappeared. One possibility would be that he wanted to avoid being home with the LL around since he owed them money and slept in his car since he certainly didn't seem to have money to stay at a hotel. Or he was traveling in regards to something related to making up for missed rent payment as we have discussed.

According to this timeline timeline2009 - laytonian
the phone call with his dad happened on the 9th of December in the late evening and it is mentioned that this is confirmed by the actual phone records. His dad called him since the LL had complained to the parents that Steven is late on rent. Steven hangs up on his dad. I am sure he was upset that the LL contacted his parents. I feel like the following events might have been triggered by this very phone call with his dad. The next day he starts on his mysterious travel patterns and three days later he goes missing.

LL wife mentioned that she peeked into his room on what she recalled was Monday morning since they had stayed at the rental overnight on the day he disappeared. One possibility would be that he wanted to avoid being home with the LL around since he owed them money and slept in his car since he certainly didn't seem to have money to stay at a hotel. Or he was traveling in regards to something related to making up for missed rent payment as we have discussed.

According to this timeline timeline2009 - laytonian
the phone call with his dad happened on the 9th of December in the late evening and it is mentioned that this is confirmed by the actual phone records. His dad called him since the LL had complained to the parents that Steven is late on rent. Steven hangs up on his dad. I am sure he was upset that the LL contacted his parents. I feel like the following events might have been triggered by this very phone call with his dad. The next day he starts on his mysterious travel patterns and three days later he goes missing.

BBM
I mentioned this in one of my earlier posts, it seemed to me like he was avoiding being at his house. I was thinking that maybe the LL was really bothering Steven about the rent but then it goes against what Still Looking said as she mentioned that her husband and Steven had come to some sort of agreement on the rent although she never explains what kind of agreement it was or gives much details.

BBM
Yep everything seems to go weird after that phone call , I don’t feel like it would be in Stevens nature to hang up on his dad. Every time I see the disappeared episode Stevens dad just seems so nice but Steven was going through a lot and I think he might have made some bad choices in a desperate time of need.

It makes me wonder what Steven was thinking after that phone call with dad.

It makes me wonder what Steven was thinking after that phone call with dad.

Good question. I wonder what the phone records show to be his next call/ text after that phone call? Did he confront the LL about calling his parents? Did they come up with a solution for the rent payments during a call after he hung up on his dad?

Good question. I wonder what the phone records show to be his next call/ text after that phone call? Did he confront the LL about calling his parents? Did they come up with a solution for the rent payments during a call after he hung up on his dad?

It would be interesting to know for sure!!
I wish the LL would come forward and talk about all the calls and texts between them . I wonder if the police talked much to the LL and about their phone calls.

Anybody know a way to look up and compare satellite imagery from 2010 and compare it to 2011 satellite images? I would like to take a look around within the neighborhood he went missing as well as the the area for last pings and the adjacent hills/mountains for changes in vegetation.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back