GUILTY IN - Emma McAfee, 2 mos, (mom Rachel found alive), Indianapolis, 4 Mar 2019 *mother arrested*

I am very familiar with the Indiana school system. I believe the term “intervention” meeting is in relation to a meeting at one of the schools where she works. Not an alcohol intervention for her, rather an intervention meeting in regards to student services. She is a speech language pathologist and would be a part of such meetings.

Best Practice/Research-Based Prevention and Intervention Resources for Schools | IDOE

I am concerned about Rachel’s physical injuries. I saw in the news she was going to have surgery. My husband wondered whether it was skin grafts, even possibly amputation from extreme frostbite. This whole situation is just so horrible. Their poor son, too.

I've dealt with antenatal and postpartum depression. It was very frightening. I just held on to the thought that I knew it would leave and not stay that way. And I don't think my husband really understood what he needed to do or could have done for me. But he never would have come across that cold and uncaring about me. He would have clearly come across concerned and worried for me AND baby. So I'm still not giving this guy a pass. If he couldn't even pretend to care about her on the news then I can only imagine how kind and supportive he was in private.

But still I'm baffled at the idea of letting a woman you would call a drunk take off like that with an infant, your infant. It doesn't quite add up. That's not just ppd that ppd and drunkenness. Gah, either way I'm very sorry for this whole family. I'm sorry that poor baby girl suffered like that. I'm sorry mom screwed up and killed her baby and now will spend the rest of her life living with that. And I'm sorry for what seems like the jerky dad because he'll always wished he could have or would have done more. Poor little baby. She deserved so much better.
I had it t00 (twice) but I had it the worst for my first baby. The one thing I can say about it is that people do not understand it - they just do not. Medical professionals know the seriousness and other moms that have been through it know what it’s like, but the general public and other family members-no. And that makes you feel worse and more alone. And it’s not their fault! I remember years before I went through it, seeing stories and not really getting it. I have always felt that there needs to be more education to the public about postpartum depression.

Not to invade her privacy at this terrible time, but I hope Rachel's mom will speak out about her daughter's possible PPD and alcoholism.

Oh, and another thing, if Rachel's MIL was going to baby sit, and Rachel's parents were in FL, who was to be part of the intervention?
That made my hinkey meter go off too. All of the interventions that I have known about, there are usually family members present. Or at least one? Seemed strange that they were relying on her to just show up herself. That can be a monumental task for someone with PPD. Unless it was just an AA meeting but then they have sponsors looking out for them, I thought.

I wonder about the mother being a " raging alcoholic" since the child was born with no medical problems that we know of. If she was to drop child off at MIL's and did not show up, I would have started to retrace her route to the MIL's home, they say she was less than a mile away. So many missed chances for this to have had a different outcome just MOO

Case Search - MyCase
03/08/2019
Hearing Journal Entry
Status conference held in chambers with Deputy Prosecutor Daniel Cicchini and defense counsel Aaron Freeman. Due to the Defendant's hospitalization, the initial hearing is continued to March 15, 2019 at 9:15 a.m. The prior pre-trial release order is modified so that the Defendant is be permitted to self-report to MCCC for pre-trial alcohol monitoring and placement with a mental health case manager upon the posting of bond and her release from the hospital. The State's motion to increase the Defendant's bond is DENIED. The Defendant is permitted to enroll in in-patient mental health/substance abuse treatment upon release. MCCC and/or defense counsel shall notify the Court if alcohol monitoring cannot be accomplished in her treatment facility. Judge Pro Tem form filed.

From - Case Search - MyCase

"03/14/2019
Hearing Scheduling Activity
Initial Hearing originally scheduled on 03/15/2019 at 9:15 AM was rescheduled to 03/22/2019 at 9:30 AM. Reason: By Request.

03/15/2019
Automated ENotice Issued to Parties
Order Granting Motion for Continuance ---- 3/14/2019 : Aaron Michael Freeman;Kristin Kuhns;Terry Raymond Curry;Daniel Joseph Cicchini Hearing Scheduling Activity ---- 3/14/2019 : Aaron Michael Freeman;Kristin Kuhns;Terry Raymond Curry;Daniel Joseph Cicchini

03/22/2019
Initial Hearing
Session:
03/15/2019 9:15 AM, Rescheduled
Session:
03/22/2019 9:30 AM, Judicial Officer: Stoner, Mark D"

Guessing she's still recovering in the hospital from severe frostbite and who knows what else, so hearing postponed again.

So sad, all the way around. I hope she gets all the help she needs.

From the article:
“McAfee was taken to Eskenazi Hospital in critical condition, police said, and was being treated for frostbite. Her car was less than .1 mile from where her in-laws live.”
So was no one searching for them? Because the first thing I would do when someone doesn’t show up where they are going is to drive all along the route. I just don’t understand how this happened.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken
Back