IL - Actor Jussie Smollett allegedly attacked in hate crime Jan 2019 #5 Smollett indicted”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadline looms for Smollett to pay city investigative costs
By MICHAEL TARM, AP Legal Affairs Writer

16 hrs ago

CHICAGO — A deadline is looming for Jussie Smollett to pay more than $130,000 to Chicago for investigative costs into what city authorities say was a staged racist, anti-gay attack or risk getting slapped with a civil lawsuit.

Thursday is seven days since Mayor Rahm Emanuel's law chief sent the "Empire" actor a letter demanding the payment. The March 28 letter said he must pay within seven days but didn't specify a response if he didn't.

Nonpayment will likely prompt the city to sue Smollett, prompting a civil trial where standards for proving he staged the incident will be lower than in criminal court.

Chicago sent the letter after state prosecutors dropped criminal charges accusing Smollett of orchestrating the attack.
Mayor-elect Lori Lightfoot could reverse any legal action after she's sworn in May 20.

Taraji P. Henson weighs in on 'Empire' co-star Jussie Smollett's case
Taraji P. Henson talks to Jussie Smollett 'all the time,' predicts he'll return to 'Empire'

Mayor Rahm Emanuel’s law chief sent Smollett a March 28 letter demanding the “Empire” actor pay $130,106 -plus 15 cents- within seven days.

Chicago suing Jussie Smollett over refusal to reimburse investigation costs

From link: "The City of Chicago says Jussie Smollett has refused to pay more than $130,000 to reimburse costs of investigating what authorities say was a staged racist, anti-gay attack."
And: "Mayor Rahm Emanuel’s law chief sent Smollett a March 28 letter demanding the “Empire” actor pay $130,106 -plus 15 cents- within seven days."
~~~~~~
Bloody heck I read that as if he's paying 130k but not a penny more than 130k, and I'm sitting here wondering why he is risking everything coming out in a civil trial over $106.15 .... Derp. It's 2am here, I should probably go to bed. *facepalm*

:D

Jussie Smollett To Be Sued By Chicago After Repayment Deadline Passes; ‘Empire’ Co-Star Says Actor Returning

[...]

“The Law Department is now drafting a civil complaint that will be filed in the Circuit Court of Cook County. Once it is filed, the Law Department will send a courtesy copy of the complaint to Mr. Smollett’s L.A. based legal team.”

Under Chicago by-laws and made clear in the letter Smollett was sent on March 28, the city can seek more than $390,000 from the actor, which is three times the original amount plus court and attorney costs

Representatives for Smollett had no comment on the matter when contacted by Deadline.

[...]

Lawyer for 'Empire' actor Jussie Smollett answers Chicago's demand of $130K, says actor 'will not be intimidated'

Lawyer for 'Empire' actor Jussie Smollett answers Chicago's demand of $130K, says actor 'will not be intimidated'

"“In light of their apparent vested interest in the matter, we are confident that Mayor Emanuel and Superintendent Johnson will not object to providing their testimony under oath,” attorney Mark Geragos states in the letter, which was addressed to the city’s corporation counsel and dated Thursday."

Why would Emmanuel have to testify? As far as we know he only got involved once the charges were dropped.

"If the city files suit, the letter states, Smollett’s attorneys would demand to see all the evidence from the criminal case, including that which was not turned over to the defense before charges were dropped, and the legal team would ask that all records and legal proceedings be open to the public."

Good, I think thats what we all want.

"Apart from Emanuel and Johnson, the defense also would want sworn testimony from the two brothers who told authorities they helped Smollett stage the attack, as well as their attorney and her husband."

I think we'd all love to hear from the brothers but their attorney couldn't talk about anything confidential given attorney/client privilege.

Odd how his attorneys don't seem to want Foxx to testify

I wonder what is happening with the federal investigation. The letter with the white powder.

Someone needs prison time for that letter. Whether it is the brothers, or Smollett, they can't just ignore using the mail system for terrorism, and then shrug it off....

Shame on you Jussie. So did you get the results you were hoping for? You go from someone No One ever heard of to someone everyone knows. And Not in a good way. You only made yourself look like a crazy fool. Did you get the raise you were hoping for yet? What a waste of peoples time and money. Maybe it’s time for reflection and do the right thing and admit your wrongdoing. Maybe then people will hire you again and you’ll get the raise you so desperately wanted.

Shame on you Jussie. So did you get the results you were hoping for? You go from someone No One ever heard of to someone everyone knows. And Not in a good way. You only made yourself look like a crazy fool. Did you get the raise you were hoping for yet? What a waste of peoples time and money. Maybe it’s time for reflection and do the right thing and admit your wrongdoing. Maybe then people will hire you again and you’ll get the raise you so desperately wanted.

BBM

This is his only hope.

"“In light of their apparent vested interest in the matter, we are confident that Mayor Emanuel and Superintendent Johnson will not object to providing their testimony under oath,” attorney Mark Geragos states in the letter, which was addressed to the city’s corporation counsel and dated Thursday."

Why would Emmanuel have to testify? As far as we know he only got involved once the charges were dropped.

"If the city files suit, the letter states, Smollett’s attorneys would demand to see all the evidence from the criminal case, including that which was not turned over to the defense before charges were dropped, and the legal team would ask that all records and legal proceedings be open to the public."

Good, I think thats what we all want.

"Apart from Emanuel and Johnson, the defense also would want sworn testimony from the two brothers who told
authorities they helped Smollett stage the attack, as well as their attorney and her husband."

I think we'd all love to hear from the brothers but their attorney couldn't talk about anything confidential given attorney/client privilege.

Odd how his attorneys don't seem to want Foxx to testify

Is Geragos still his attorney?

I thought he was arrested beause of the Nike extortion plot that Michel Avenatti has been accused of

I believe I read this am that he will be back with the dumb Empire gig. I read it this am, but don't have link. Sorry.
I am sooo waiting for the FBI letter probe results. It is curious that his family wanted the FBI to investigate vs CPD.

So, c'mom FBI, bring it on....

Mystery remains over why Kim Foxx's office dismissed hoax charges against Jussie Smollett

Mystery remains over why Kim Foxx's office dismissed hoax charges against Jussie Smollett

Moments after “Empire” actor Jussie Smollett pleaded not guilty to bombshell charges of staging a hate crime on himself, Cook County prosecutors were already looking to cut a deal, the actor’s attorneys say.

Not just a hoax, it’s a hate crime hoax.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skybee88