Found Deceased UK - Leah Croucher, 19, Emerson Valley, Milton Keynes, 14 Feb 2019 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, why increase it if the reward offered hasn't helped? Where do you stop?

I would be really interested to hear of a case in the UK that has been resolved or even forwarded by an offered reward.

I would add that imo an offer of a reward does is increase publicity in MSM.

Same with US...gigantic rewards are offered...seldom if ever result in finding the person. Either a person with info will come forward or they won’t. Most who have info at this point are likely guilty...jmo.

I understand logically about the police refusing the additional award. I don’t understand emotionally.

I would suspect the only reason to increase the reward would be in he hope it could tempt someone to dob someone else in. And if 5k doesn't do it then I doubt 10k would either.

Skigh, I don’t know how to quote you.

By emotionally I mean that it feels wrong to not answer and log every call, every tip that the public has (even if you low-prioritise it). The reward may not make a real difference to the outcome but it says that Leah is important. Turning it down may be viewed as she is not that important.

I think the article has been shared on Facebook so I guess there will be reactions from that.

If you click on the quote and reply blue words at the end of a message you should be able to quote and reply to a message.
Do you really think the police should be spending time logging sightings from Lands End to John'O Groats when perhaps all their evidence shows she never left the local area.
It is nothing to do with showing Leah is important there are numerous ways the local community can show this.
The police only have only so many resources and they need to use these in the best way they can to find what happened to Leah without unnecessary distractions.

Last edited:
I think the police should handle the offer better (for future reference). If someone can’t get acknowledgement of a generous offer, what will happen when someone rings in with that ‘seemingly insignificant’ detail that the police always ask for.

What about getting a quote from the family that they are touched by the kindness of the offer but agree with the police that it isn’t needed because they are confident in what the police have been able to share with them so far..?

The reward may not make a real difference to the outcome but it says that Leah is important. Turning it down may be viewed as she is not that important.

It's actually the opposite. Not every missing person gets a reward, so turning it down for Leah says all missing people are important.

Suffolk Police turned down a reward from a local businessman in the Corrie Mckeague case. It was accepted by his mother and publicised; his father also offered a reward from his side of the family.

As mentioned, it's a judgement call by the police as to how useful money can be. It can bring out the weirdos or just a deluge of information that exhausts resources. There's always the option for people to call Crime Stoppers, who offer rewards (with strict criteria).

When Claudia Lawrence disappeared,it was head line news for weeks.
Hull live had Libby as a top story nearly every day for the time she was missing.

May I ask, for those of you in the UK, are disappearances like this typically publicized a lot? At least locally? I feel like they usually are...after being on here since January and following quite a few cases from the UK. I know so many of us seem to think this case is odd in so many ways. So, I was just wondering about differences between the countries...I know everything is so sensationalized here! Even if it might jeopardize LE...the media can't help themselves here.
Thanks for any input!

I have never known a young girl who has no previous history of going missing have so little press coverage.
The lack of good quality full length photos of her is also unusual.
In other cases there have been community events such as a church service or candle vigils to support the family. These sort of events also give new stories for the press to publish in order to keep public interest.
There have been no interviews with friends or work colleagues.[/QUOTE]
Thank you...this is what I thought

Suffolk Police turned down a reward from a local businessman in the Corrie Mckeague case. It was accepted by his mother and publicised; his father also offered a reward from his side of the family.

As mentioned, it's a judgement call by the police as to how useful money can be. It can bring out the weirdos or just a deluge of information that exhausts resources. There's always the option for people to call Crime Stoppers, who offer rewards (with strict criteria).
Agreed...I do think that LE could have handled their response to the offer of a reward much better and should indeed investigate any viable tips, but they do have to weigh the usefulness of the reward versus the potential for false leads and interference with the case. I recall some odd things at the beginning of this case...false sightings, false fliers being distributed. I can only hope, as I know many are, that the lack of information made public means that LE knows much more than they are saying.

I just posted this on a US thread, but I've been wanting to make an appeal to anyone on UK and US threads who has knowledge of LE procedures. So many of us speculate as to why some cases receive so much media and others almost none. And I certainly know that there are biases based on race, drug history, profession, criminal records, etc. But I am not really referring to that. All things being equal, does lack of information released to the public or lack of appeals to the public for help usually mean that LE already has strong leads?

I can not answer you question about cases in general.
I do think if police have very strong leads or think no one else is involved it gets less press coverage.
The press like stories which sell papers or get lots of online clicks.

Missing young girls like Leah usually attract press attention.

The only reason I can think of for LE to decline a larger reward is to discourage a criminal culture in ransom style or fake abductions, just to try and get reward money.

In reference to the lack of exposure in the media as well as public communications from LE / family to help to find Leah.... leaves me personally to reason that LE do not believe she has been abducted (rightly or wrongly), because if they did this silence makes no sense whatsoever.

(removed the link as I decided I wasn't being sensitive enough)

According to this -which may well be out of date - the media strategy ultimate decision is the responsibility of the SIO.

Last edited:
The only reason I can think of for LE to decline a larger reward is to discourage a criminal culture in ransom style or fake abductions, just to try and get reward money.

In reference to the lack of exposure in the media as well as public communications from LE / family to help to find Leah.... leaves me personally to reason that LE do not believe she has been abducted (rightly or wrongly), because if they did this silence makes no sense whatsoever.

Rewards are usually caveated that they will be given 'for information leading to a conviction', so nobody will get anything if they kidnap someone and produce the victim later pretending to have found them.

One of the potential problems I can foresee of turning a reward offer down is that you will never know whether it would make a difference to the outcome of this particular case.

I am sort of hoping that Leah will turn up with some form of amnesia or something. I know it is unlikely but this whole thing is odd).

One of the potential problems I can foresee of turning a reward offer down is that you will never know whether it would make a difference to the outcome of this particular case.

I am sort of hoping that Leah will turn up with some form of amnesia or something. I know it is unlikely but this whole thing is odd).
There have been cases of missing people turning up claiming amnesia from shock, muggings, accidents, stress etc. It does happen, we can hope that will be the outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back2theGardenAgain