Found Deceased Dominican Republic - Orlando Moore & Portia Ravenelle, from NY on vacation, April 2019

Exactly. Whether or not they checked out is crucial info. My hunch is that they left the hotel (maybe didn't "check out" as many hotels handle that - you just leave without having to stop at the front desk) and then attempted to drive to the airport. If they didn't check out, I'd assume their rental car would still be at the resort? Did they have the rental car their whole stay or did they get it just for the drive to the airport?

It could be an accident or it could be they encountered criminals along the way. If it were an accident, you'd think the car would be found by now?

Is there a tracking device on the rental car? You'd think so?

I do not think this is a couple who "ran away," but perhaps it's worth considering just to rule it out?

jmo

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
Ohhhh. I was a travel agent/manager for many years. I was always fearful to send clients here based on the reviews of others.

I haven’t read all the comments yet. I feel scared for this couple.
I used to have a client that was an investment partner in a resort in D.R. Its a beautiful country. But even he admitted that they advised guests to not leave the resort. Robbery was rampant he said.

Why is it that in these countries there is so much crime? I know the US has high crime rates but I feel like it's not as bad or as violent as some countries. Maybe I'm wrong, please correct me if so. Is it due to the high poverty?

Why is it that in these countries there is so much crime? I know the US has high crime rates but I feel like it's not as bad or as violent as some countries. Maybe I'm wrong, please correct me if so. Is it due to the high poverty?
Infrastructure, tourism, crime per capita etc. I remember working at the Florida Mall in Orlando and a car was stolen at the mall every day in a year. Might not be related but being an easy target always spells doom in touristy areas ie Brazil during the Olympics..

Exactly. Whether or not they checked out is crucial info. My hunch is that they left the hotel (maybe didn't "check out" as many hotels handle that - you just leave without having to stop at the front desk) and then attempted to drive to the airport. If they didn't check out, I'd assume their rental car would still be at the resort? Did they have the rental car their whole stay or did they get it just for the drive to the airport?

It could be an accident or it could be they encountered criminals along the way. If it were an accident, you'd think the car would be found by now?

I do not think this is a couple who "ran away," but perhaps it's worth considering just to rule it out?

jmo
The original post said their rental car was not found.

jmo

Per an above article or two, they flew into the Dominican and realized their motel was something like 100 miles away which they did not realize so they rented a car. I would assume they had it throughout the trip the way it sounds.

Although most resorts are safe, when traveling away from them in the DR you have to be very aware of your surroundings and not ever accept drinks from strangers. It's not safe to drive at night 10 miles out let alone 100. It's concerning to me that they shared rum and then set off on this 100 mile night drive that they were unfamiliar with, and had been nervous while there. My family is familiar with travel there and while many areas are safe if you stick to your plan and safety awareness you're going to be ok.
I pray they are found safe. Praying for the family.

This story has a full account from a tourist who spent their last day together. They apparently were going to drive a long way to the airport very late at night.

A couple from New York has been missing for almost two weeks since visiting the Dominican Republic - CNN

I'm confused. If Freeman and Ravennel exchanged emails before they left the island, how did Ravennels family get Ms. Freeman's email address? Doesn't make sense that she would share a new aquaintances' email with her family! Anybody else find this strange??

Poverty, a rapidly increasing population of young men (almost 30% of the population are age 15-25 in DR, and young men are the most likely to commit crimes), unemployment and low wages, no tax base to pay a sophisticated police force. Profits from tourism activity often goes offshore, rather than being invested in the country.

This affects everyone, not just tourists. Local women don't feel safe to stay in hotels alone, even poor people put bars on their windows and keep guard dogs. So I think, sometimes, tourists are victims because they are less wary than residents, who live with it every day.

However, this could have been an accident, followed by, for eg, car theft. It looks like a straightforward highway from the hotel to the airport, no need to ask for directions.

Current travel advisory for the country from the State Department. Dominican Republic Travel Advisory

Dominican Republic - Level 2: Exercise Increased Caution

C
Exercise increased caution in the Dominican Republic due to crime.

Violent crime, such as robbery, murder, and sexual assault, is common. The wide availability of weapons, the use and trade of illicit drugs, and a weak criminal justice system contribute to the high level of criminality.

Read the Safety and Security section on the country information page.

If you decide to travel to the Dominican Republic:

• Be aware of your surroundings.
  • Do not physically resist any robbery attempt.
  • Do not display signs of wealth, such as wearing expensive watches or jewelry.
  • Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
  • Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
  • Review the Crime and Safety Report for the Dominican Republic.
  • U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist

New York couple disappears during vacation in the Dominican Republic

Family and friends are desperately searching for Orlando Moore and Portia Ravenelle, who left for the island from Newark Liberty International Airport on March 23. They were supposed to return March 27 but never did, according to NBC New York.

The couple had been staying at the all-inclusive Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa resort in the northeast town of Samana but did not check out of their hotel. They never returned their rental car and never made it onto their flight home. Their cellphones are turned off, according to the report.

https://nypost.com/2019/04/08/new-york-couple-disappears-during-vacation-in-the-dominican-republic/
I'm glad the State Dept is involved. I'm very worried about them too. I hope by some miracle they turn out to be ok.

I'm confused. If Freeman and Ravennel exchanged emails before they left the island, how did Ravennels family get Ms. Freeman's email address? Doesn't make sense that she would share a new aquaintances' email with her family! Anybody else find this strange??
I had assumed that the family accessed their email accounts after they disappeared and saw the emails.
I know that I personally make no secret of my email password to my family, so if I went missing, it would be easy for them to log into my accounts. JMO

Not saying this is the case here, but speaking of crime and corruption, not too long ago I did some research on the DR (watching YouTube videos). Iirc it was said that sometimes cops will pull you over and it is common and advised to just go ahead and pay them some cash so they’ll leave you alone. Jmo

ETA:

I just remembered a video about a common scam there which includes something people on the road who get you to pull over and say there’s a problem with your car. Trying to remember...something about how the sabotage the car atm you pull over and then they say “I know where a mechanic is” or something like that..

Last edited:
Well that answers my question. Somehow I am not so sure this was a friendly couple. If you have ever traveled there it is not unusual to have couples pose as friendly tourist to American couples. If they never checked out and never returned to there rental. It appears these were the last people to see them we're sharing a bottle of rum and what they reported was there plans was not true. They may have seemed to be offering a lot of helpful hints with travel realizing that they were not completely comfortable. I am very concerned at this point. But hoping for safe return.

We have done 5 trips to Punta Cana. Like many Caribbean Islands they are 3rd world. You never leave the Resort on your own. Always book a tour. Your guides will be armed. Our package always included transportation to the Resort. It's a beautiful Island. Bavaro Beach is so picturesque. People are lovely as well. If u are out and about on your own it is dangerous. I don't see a good outcome here. Sadly.

Last edited:
I have been to the Dominican Republic 6 times (the first time was 31 years ago as a 13 year-old with my family and the most recent time was just over 20 years ago with a group of female friends. )
I have never once gone off the resort(s) without an approved tour guide. Even walking the beach, you get accosted by locals trying to sell you stuff or barter with you for your shoes or t-shirt. This made me slightly nervous. We always had a buddy system at night, even at the resorts because some of the locals were very flirty with us (a group of 5 women) and we weren't entirely comfortable with the how overtly flirtatious some of the men working at the resort were.
I can't imagine feeling confident to rent a car and drive it 100 miles (NOT km's for us Canadians) in the middle of the night. I would be scared ****less!
I really am beginning to think that they were overheard speaking about their late-night departure and that the wrong person overheard them. Someone above posted this suggestion and I strongly agree that this is an unfortunate possibility.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brew23p
Back