Deceased/Not Found IN - Najah Ferrell, 30, Avon, Hendricks County, 15 March 2019

Thank you (and your bald Cajun if he is assisting lol).

I get the disarticulation and if that is the case, she would certainly be dead one would assume

With regard to severing, again, i hate to be graphic but we all know that someone can live without a foot--is there a way to tell that after this foot was severed (if it indeed was), whether she could have survived, the wound been taken care of, etc. Could they tell this from the foot in any way? And, if not, that must mean it was disarticulated for him to state for a fact she is deceased?

What are you thoughts based on the little we know?

Thank you again.

ilovechili, it's like you are reading my mind. I've had many of the same questions!

Thank you (and your bald Cajun if he is assisting lol).

I get the disarticulation and if that is the case, she would certainly be dead one would assume

With regard to severing, again, i hate to be graphic but we all know that someone can live without a foot--is there a way to tell that after this foot was severed (if it indeed was), whether she could have survived, the wound been taken care of, etc. Could they tell this from the foot in any way? And, if not, that must mean it was disarticulated for him to state for a fact she is deceased?

What are you thoughts based on the little we know?

Thank you again.
If the foot had disarticulated in the water there would be other body parts in the same body of water. I haven't read where any were found. It can take days or weeks for that to occur so any POI's aren't going to be hovering around to see when it happens. If the foot was cut off peri-mortem you could not tell from the foot what care was given to the person. But severing of the foot is going to cut through several arteries that supply blood to the foot.
• The Posterior tibial artery: This branch of the popliteal artery supplies oxygenated blood to the leg and sole of the foot, running inside of the leg. It is accompanied by the posterior tibial vein.
• The Anterior tibial artery: This artery supplies blood to the muscles of the leg and foot and is the other branch of the popliteal artery from the back of the knee.
• The Peroneal artery: This is by far the largest branch of the posterial tibial artery. It supplies blood to the outside and back of the calf muscles and the ankle and ends at the lateral calcaneal artery.
• The Plantar arteries: The plantar artery, which are lateral, medial, and deep, form a looping web of arteries that run across the foot and down through each toe.
• The Dorsalis pedis: This artery supplies blood to the surface of the foot as a continuation of the anterior tibial artery. It is accompanied by the dorsalis pedis vein.

If even ONE of these is severed (let alone all of them) the person could bleed out in 30 minutes. Only a tourniquet followed by surgical medical care would save the victim, unlikely if it is a victim of a crime as that sort of medical care would draw LE's attention and the perps are unlikely to have the medical training to even do a tourniquet on their own.

In my opinion, if the rest of the body is not found in the pond, the foot was severed post mortem due to the unique tattoo with her name on it and the rest of her body was either buried or disposed of in a very remote location.

Last edited:
If the foot had disarticulated in the water there would be other body parts in the same body of water. I haven't read where any were found. It can take days or weeks for that to occur so any POI's aren't going to be hovering around to see when it happens. If the foot was cut off peri-mortem you could not tell from the foot what care was given to the person. But severing of the foot is going to cut through several arteries that supply blood to the foot.
• The Posterior tibial artery: This branch of the popliteal artery supplies oxygenated blood to the leg and sole of the foot, running inside of the leg. It is accompanied by the posterior tibial vein.
• The Anterior tibial artery: This artery supplies blood to the muscles of the leg and foot and is the other branch of the popliteal artery from the back of the knee.
• The Peroneal artery: This is by far the largest branch of the posterial tibial artery. It supplies blood to the outside and back of the calf muscles and the ankle and ends at the lateral calcaneal artery.
• The Plantar arteries: The plantar artery, which are lateral, medial, and deep, form a looping web of arteries that run across the foot and down through each toe.
• The Dorsalis pedis: This artery supplies blood to the surface of the foot as a continuation of the anterior tibial artery. It is accompanied by the dorsalis pedis vein.

If even ONE of these is severed (let alone all of them) the person could bleed out in 30 minutes. Only a tourniquet followed by surgical medical care would save the victim, unlikely if it is a victim of a crime as that sort of medical care would draw LE's attention and the perps are unlikely to have the medical training to even do a tourniquet on their own.

In my opinion, if the rest of the body is not found in the pond, the foot was severed post mortem due to the unique tattoo with her name on it and the rest of her body was either buried or disposed of in a very remote location.

You have no idea how much I appreciate this--you answered my questions fully. I tended to think it was post-mortem and it stands out to me that it also carried her name on the body part.

It also shows me what I suspected, short of being a surgeon or medical professional at minimum, she would likely not have survived this if it was prior to death. I suspect the search is for anything else like clothing, traces of the perp, etc. or other parts.

Again, I tend not to go towards questions like these as I prefer not to even think about them but I wondered what made them sure that she was deceased. They do not commit to answers they do not know and the fact she is deceased was pretty clearly stated and committed to.

You explained very well, leaving me with no further questions. It still could be either, I understand but I tend to think it was done post-mortem based on this information.

Thank you again!

APR 11, 2019
DNR using sonar to search for missing Avon mother
Police returned to a northwest Indiana pond Thursday to search for more clues about a missing Avon mother. Conservation officers wrapped up part of their search just before noon on the pond. But the search for Najah Ferrell is not over.

[...]

Officer Bryce Klimek with DNR Conservation started training on sonar searching in 2007. The same technology has undergone improvements to help him do his job even better.

"A transducer more or less that travels through the water and hits an object under water and that soundwave returns and creates an image on our screen," Klimek said.

[...]

Crown Point police searched the area by air with a drone. Eyewitness News has learned that in days to come, searches will take place in other nearby ponds with their sonar technology.

[...]

Avon police are still relying on clues from the public that may help them figure out what happened to Ferrell. They are looking for information from people who may have been on Interstate 65 both in Indianapolis and Crown Point and noticed any stopped vehicles, strange behavior or someone they know with unaccounted time in their regular routine.

Since the coroner believes the victim died before being the human remains were discarded, there may also be a crime scene somewhere or unexplained blood in an unusual location.

[...]

APR 12, 2019
Pastor has message for person responsible for missing Avon mother's death
A community vigil is in the works for missing Avon mother Najah Ferreal.

[...]

Najah Ferrell's family plan to attend the event held at the Bethel Family Worship Center at 24 South Lynhurst Drive on Indy’s west side on Sunday.

The entire community is invited to the event especially those who in some way have ties to her, the family and close friends.

It will be one month since the 30-year-old mother was last seen alive in Avon by her fiance and two sons.

[...]

“Appeal to them as a person to do the right thing and turn yourself in,” said Pastor Hylton.

He believes the community prayers about the case have already led to the latest discovery and will eventually help uncover the rest of the mystery.

[...]

Pastor shares memories of Najah Ferrell

APR 13, 2019
Police search by drone and dogs for remains of a missing Indy woman
5cb29b98c2219.image.jpg

[...]

Crown Point police, a team of cadaver dogs and their handlers combed more than a half dozen ponds along Interstate 65 to leave no evidence overlooked in the case of Najah Ferrell, who was first reported missing March 15 to Indianapolis police.

[...]

The Indiana Department of Natural Resources and the Aquatic and Rescue Team of the Crown Point Fire Department searched the body of water, a 30-acre borrow pit excavated decades ago during the construction of I-65, earlier this week without finding any more evidence.

Olson said Crown Point felt another effort over a wider area was needed.

“These other ponds were so close, we wanted to take another look,” Olson said. When asked if they found anything, Olson responded, “We are still looking.”

The search area, two miles east of the downtown, is primarily rural. Sheep can be found grazing in a nearby meadow, and dormant farm fields await the spring plowing.

[...]

Assistant Police Chief Jim Janda said Saturday afternoon the search concluded with no new evidence found.

APR 14, 2019
Worship center holds community prayer service to honor Avon mom Najah Ferrell
The family of missing Avon mother Najah Farrell spoke publicly for the first time since the gruesome discovery of what could turn out to be some of her remains.

Najah's mother, sister, aunt and other family members took part in a community prayer service Sunday evening.

[...]

Najah's fiancé also attended the community prayer service. He joined her family and friends on the pulpit during the candle light vigil in her honor but did not speak.

The crowd heard from Najah’s mother, sister and aunt.

[...]

Aaron Cantrell on Twitter
Happening Now: Friends & Family of #NajahFerrell are gathering at her church @bfwcindy to honor her life through a Community Prayer Service. The Avon mother was reported missing a month ago. Her case is now considered a death investigation. #justicefornajah
D4JWJflWAAEzFNf.jpg

6:09 PM - 14 Apr 2019

I hope this is one of those cases where LE has a lot more info than it appears they do.

So, they have only found her foot, right? My wild speculation is that the rest of her remains are not with the foot. Severing the foot turned out to not be helpful to her killer, since that is what was found. If her the rest of her body (minus the foot) had been found instead, wouldn't there be other ways to identify her without the tattooed foot? Ugh, I just had a thought that makes that a moot question. :(

Have we heard from her fiancé at all? Just wondering. Everything I’ve read hasn’t really mentioned him at all. Not pointing any fingers. Just curious.

This question also has been in my mind since day one. I have not voiced it for obvious reasons. It just comes from we all know it often is someone known and close to home, not always, but commonly.

He did not report her missing nor has made any comment I am aware of. Then again, the way people close to victims are torn apart these days and we now have online forums as well that do so, maybe it is wise on his part. I did think we would hear of people close to home ruled out though which is not uncommon and we have not.

I am trying to talk carefully here but I do wonder about it simply because we have never heard anything about him.

*I want to put this in as a dividing line because in no way do the comments below relate to the comment above or to any individual*

I do not know what happened here but for some reason, and I do not feel it in all cases, I think they have a pretty good idea of what happened here and who as well. I have no inside info nor have read anything anywhere else, it is just a feeling. It is also not directed at what I talked about above, I have no idea.

But we have three spots already in this murder. Her car, some of her belongings and a foot hours away with her name on it. I guess because of three crime scenes, video that can likely be obtained and what seems to me perhaps an intentional attempt to leave her foot with the one thing that can identify her and intentionally perhaps? leave it in that area, I just believe they have more than we think or they will have. Maybe it is the confidence the chief seems to display as well.

I am trying to remember, her phone was missing as well was it not?

Just thoughts.

It was reported that they did not find her phone.

It seems that each little bit of info just leads to umpteen more questions. I swore I read that the foot that was found was bare; so I finally found that article again.
Crown Point Police investigated a report of a bare human foot in a pond near the Interstate 65 and 109th Avenue interchange after it was discovered by a person fishing.
Fisherman finds foot in Crown Point pond

Since no one apparently saw her to know how she was dressed on that morning, there's no way to know how/why the foot got bare. Did the evil thing who did this remove her shoe to make sure that was the foot with the tattoo?

I truly hope LE can get some idea of how long the foot was in the water.

Last edited:
The temperature the day she went missing was 31 to 48 degrees. Since it was early morning hours I would assume towards the lower 31. That would mean a closed toe, sensible shoe. The POI would've had to have known she had a tattoo on that foot as it would've been covered by her shoe. IMO

The temperature the day she went missing was 31 to 48 degrees. Since it was early morning hours I would assume towards the lower 31. That would mean a closed toe, sensible shoe. The POI would've had to have known she had a tattoo on that foot as it would've been covered by her shoe. IMO
If the POI knew the tattoo was on that foot, why was the foot shoeless? Did the shoe fall off during a scuffle?

It was reported that they did not find her phone.

It seems that each little bit of info just leads to umpteen more questions. I swore I read that the foot that was found was bare; so I finally found that article again.

Fisherman finds foot in Crown Point pond

Since no one apparently saw her to know how she was dressed on that morning, there's no way to know how/why the foot got bare. Did the evil thing who did this remove her shoe to make sure that was the foot with the tattoo?

I truly hope LE can get some idea of how long the foot was in the water.

I thought the phone was missing, thank you for confirming that.

I agree, I find that in most cases, every time we learn something it seems to create a ton more questions.

I had not even noted the foot was bare. I hate to think of what she possibly went through.

Certainly am hoping they are onto someone. I have a confidence in this case that they are but then time passes and I start to wonder. I also have no real reason to feel that confidence though so I am unsure why I do.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back