Nationwide College Cheating Scandal - Actresses, Business Owners Charged, Mar 2019 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is interesting how "star" treatment has evolved in criminal justice. There used to be a jail "Suite" in Hollywood for famous actors. I don't know if that is still there, probably they keep stars out of gen pop in jail short term.

But, definitely, Bill Cosby has not been given any special treatment it seems.

And RHONJ Teresa Guidice did not receive any special treatment in prison, nor did her husband Joe, who is currently facing deportation.

Things have changed. Lori Loughlin should have been more contrite.

"Dance Moms" star Abby Lee Miller offered some advice to Felicity Huffman after the “Desperate Housewives” actress pleaded guilty to charges for her involvement in a nationwide college admissions scam....

If she does end up serving prison time, Miller, who finished an eight-month stint in federal prison for bankruptcy fraud in March 2018, told “Inside Edition” that Huffman should “keep a low profile” and be kind to others.

“Be respectful of everyone, keep a low profile, be kind to people. Tell your story, but listen,” Miller advised.

Felicity Huffman offered prison advice from Abby Lee Miller amid college admissions scandal guilty plea

...If she does end up serving prison time, Miller, who finished an eight-month stint in federal prison for bankruptcy fraud in March 2018, told “Inside Edition” that Huffman should “keep a low profile” and be kind to others...
I actually can see Felicity Huffman being like this. I can't see Lori Loughlin acting humble in any way (unless she is forced to fine tune her acting skills).

Well this guy involved is just a real piece of work:
Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

...”convicted Friday of running an 18-year, $1.3 billion health-care fraud that prosecutors called the largest such scheme ever charged...”

...”also used some of the proceeds from the fraud to bribe the University of Pennsylvania basketball coach to help get his son into the school, prosecutors said. The coach pleaded guilty to money laundering last year in connection with the case...”

(Sorry if this has already been posted.)

But really, he ran the fraud for 18 years?!

The article starts out..,

A Florida man...

( google “ A Florida man ... “ for lots of incredible articles.)

I would certainly think Lori and Husband were urged to take the deal from their Lawyers. I cant wrap my head around their denial. These are federal crimes.
I am sure they were encouraged to take a deal. They are obviously guilty. Judges and Prosecutors do not take kindly to wasting their time and money. If you want a trial, go right ahead! My guess is she will get twice as much time as what she was offered in a peal deal.

From what I remember in the documents, the daughter took the exam 1st like every other kid does at their school all on the same date. She didn't do as well as they wanted so Felicity had someone (?psychiatrist) state that the daughter needed to double the test-taking time due to some learning disability I'm guessing.

School counselor said great, I'll give her the test on X/Y dates which were school days. Felicity talked with Singer and was told to tell the counselor that the daughter will take the test at a private center on a weekend so that the kid wouldn't miss school. The other center was the one Singer had connections with. Kid took the test at the new center "proctored" by Riddell and scored 400 its higher.

Here's a link to the original criminal complaint in case anyone else hasn't seen it.
READ: College cheating scandal indictment - CNN

This is, IMO, a point of view mixing up the two daughters (BBM):

164. In a telephone call with CW-1 on or about October 23, 2018, HUFFMAN discussed repeating the SAT cheating scheme for her younger daughter. The call, which was consensually recorded, is excerpted below.

[snip]

Okay. Now, my only thing, [CW-1], is-- sorry it’s loud in here. I’m outside. But is that I’m pretty sure-- we are doing it the same way as [with my older daughter]? I’m pretty sure with [my younger daughter] that she’s going to want to take it twice no matter what.

167. On or about February 13, 2019, HUFFMAN spoke with CW-1 again about the plan for her daughter to take the exam first on her own, and the second time as part of the cheating scheme. During the call, HUFFMAN expressed concern, in substance, about whether a dramatic increase in her daughter’s scores would cause her SAT tutor to suspect cheating. Excerpts from the call, which was consensually recorded, are set forth below

More here: https://www.justice.gov/file/1142876/download

2 different kids; two testing techniques; two levels of intelligence.

Older Daughter ("OD"), went straight from Preliminary SAT's in which she did poorly, to a single bite at the SAT apple.

Younger Daughter (hereinafter, "YD"): Felicity is quite clear in the above complaint; will insist upon taking the test herself (the legit way) first. (Unspoken statement: because she's the plucky smart one who wants to do everything her own way.)

Only after YD takes the test the first time, will they plan to help her cheat, and implement the "get her to ask for extra time" plan. (Which is no great vote of confidence for YD, because Felicity's already assuming that her first independent bite at the SAT without extra time, will suck and need to be improved upon.)

As it turns out, they abandoned the plan for YD, and OD is still a senior in high school, so no future college student has been deprived of any spot by Felicity and William's older daughter.

I know it's confusing. I'm a paralegal and I read this stuff for a living, which is the only way I wended my way through it. The charging documents aren't allowed to state the kids' names, or give them a catchy defined term like "CW-1" in any type of attempt to keep people straight.

I heard an attorney this morning say that LL going over and shaking the prosecutors’ hands was completely out of decorum in a courtroom. She hurt herself doing that. IMO

When I was on a jury (I didn't say I was a criminal paralegal, lol), I was specifically told we in the jury couldn't have any interaction outside of the courtroom with either of the plaintiff or the defense; or with any of the witnesses; and I can't imagine it's much different for defendants or plaintiffs themselves. You literally have to ignore the attorneys, and vice versa:

. In another real-life scenario, we were walking to our cars after court and saw one of the jurors trip and fall down the slope of the parking lot sliding down the asphalt. What do you do? Walk away? Call for help? Help her up? These are difficult choices when one is bound to no contact with a juror but out of common decency wants to help someone who is injured. We called for help and asked if she was alright, understanding the potential consequences of our actions. We reported it to the court, and nothing came of the incident.

Bathroom encounters are also awkward. Running into jurors at the sink is unavoidable but eye contact should be avoided, and fortunately such avoidance comes naturally there.

More here: Attorney-Juror Contact: What to Do When Running into a Juror Outside of the Courtroom - Litigation Insights

I would imagine in such a climate, that even if not specifically verboten, Lori's trying to mount a charm offensive on the prosecutors outside of the courtroom is probably on par with an attorney getting the chance to charm a juror outside of the courtroom while the attorney is joking around with members of their staff. You're clearly (IMO, MOO) not even supposed to consider them as people outside of the courtroom, more as empty suits of clothes marked "District Attorney" and "Defense Attorney". If she wanted to shake their hands after the trial is concluded and the verdict has been handed down (lol), then that's her right, and perfectly appropriate.

respectfully snipped by me...
When I was on a jury (I didn't say I was a criminal paralegal, lol), I was specifically told we in the jury couldn't have any interaction outside of the courtroom with either of the plaintiff or the defense; or with any of the witnesses; and I can't imagine it's much different for defendants or plaintiffs themselves. You literally have to ignore the attorneys, and vice versa:

More here: Attorney-Juror Contact: What to Do When Running into a Juror Outside of the Courtroom - Litigation Insights

I would imagine in such a climate, that even if not specifically verboten, Lori's trying to mount a charm offensive on the prosecutors outside of the courtroom is probably on par with an attorney getting the chance to charm a juror outside of the courtroom while the attorney is joking around with members of their staff. You're clearly (IMO, MOO) not even supposed to consider them as people outside of the courtroom, more as empty suits of clothes marked "District Attorney" and "Defense Attorney". If she wanted to shake their hands after the trial is concluded and the verdict has been handed down (lol), then that's her right, and perfectly appropriate.
Still totally inappropriate, but I think she shook their hands IN the courtroom...

After the hearing, Loughlin reached over to the next table to shake the hands of the prosecutors.

Lori Loughlin Shakes Hands of Prosecutors as She and Felicity Huffman Appear in Court

respectfully snipped by me...

Still totally inappropriate, but I think she shook their hands IN the courtroom...

After the hearing, Loughlin reached over to the next table to shake the hands of the prosecutors.

Lori Loughlin Shakes Hands of Prosecutors as She and Felicity Huffman Appear in Court

I did kind of mash the two statuses and situations together, but I agree that problem is more across the lines of "once you have chosen legal representation, you are required to communicate with the opposing parties only through said legal representation", than it is "you can't even acknowledge the existence of opposing counsel on your case in the world".

I did kind of mash the two statuses and situations together, but I agree that problem is more across the lines of "once you have chosen legal representation, you are required to communicate with the opposing parties only through said legal representation", than it is "you can't even acknowledge the existence of opposing counsel on your case in the world".

A greeting isn’t communication. At any mediation or deposition, everyone shakes hands and makes introductions. There is often some small talk about weather, travel arrangements, etc.

Shaking hands like that in court isn’t standard, but not unusual or inappropriate.

Why Lori Loughlin Cheated to Get Her Daughters Olivia Jade and Isabella Into USC for the ‘Status’

Oh, those sources ..... :rolleyes:

“Lori is used to getting what she wants,” the family source told the outlet. “This is why she got in trouble in the first place. She got fixated on getting her girls into USC. For her, there was no other way. They needed to be at USC. It was very important for her to be able to say that her girls were at USC.”

Meanwhile, Olivia Jade is out there, just trying to live her life and get back on her feet. Olivia Jade went to a party with friends and was “drinking, laughing and stayed out late,” the source said. (Olivia Jade has been staying with her boyfriend Jackson Guthy rather than her parents.)

Another thing I have to say. My son is graduating May 4 with $30k debt. Electrical engineering. We have worked hard to pay instead of accumulating debt.

What they are doing takes away from
How hard kids work to get through college.

It’s a disgrace IMO

Why Lori Loughlin Cheated to Get Her Daughters Olivia Jade and Isabella Into USC for the ‘Status’

Oh, those sources ..... :rolleyes:

“Lori is used to getting what she wants,” the family source told the outlet. “This is why she got in trouble in the first place. She got fixated on getting her girls into USC. For her, there was no other way. They needed to be at USC. It was very important for her to be able to say that her girls were at USC.”

Meanwhile, Olivia Jade is out there, just trying to live her life and get back on her feet. Olivia Jade went to a party with friends and was “drinking, laughing and stayed out late,” the source said. (Olivia Jade has been staying with her boyfriend Jackson Guthy rather than her parents.)

Seems like OJ is a chip off the ol' block... Also, drinking? They usually don't describe sipping a cola or some water as 'drinking'. This girl is 19. Lovely law-abiding circles they seem to run in.

JMO

Another thing I have to say. My son is graduating May 4 with $30k debt. Electrical engineering. We have worked hard to pay instead of accumulating debt.

What they are doing takes away from
How hard kids work to get through college.

It’s a disgrace IMO
I know and the spots they stole away from deserving kids Chaps my arse mach 90! Maybe some of the Community Service doled out will be cleaning dorm rooms, bathrooms, frat party's etc. etc. Lots and lots of disgusting porcelain duty.

Lori Loughlin Reportedly ‘Got Fixated’ on Getting Olivia Jade and Isabella Into USC for the ‘Status’

Wow, that article @JerseyGirl posted! There is something extra irks about cheating to get your kids in for the "status" of it - not even the education! Maybe that's another reason Felicity Huffman isn't taking quite such a public hit? Hopefully she at least pulled illegal strings with the intention of getting her daughter a good education. (Not that it makes it right, just maybe why she got a pretty favorable plea deal.)

With Lori, I think it really, really rubs people the wrong way to see someone who has every resource and means not recognize what a privilege it is to have access to a good education. The extra jobs worked, the loans taken out, the student debt that can be carried around for years. Then to see someone cheat their way in and treat it like Coachella as someone here so aptly pointed out, it's just gross.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arsongirlfriend